10: It's Time

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 19 of Exile]

[Year 19 of Exile]

 

“Jen! You’re going to be late if you don’t wake up this instant!”

 

A loud knock made me scramble and I would have fallen into the floor if not for my hand that gripped onto the bedsheets.

 

“Jennnnnnnn~! Time to wake u-” Baekhyun stopped short when he saw my furrowed brows and pursed lips. “What’s wrong? Are you hurt?” He sat on the edge of my bed and felt my forehead. “There’s no fever so…” Using his hands and feeling over my body, he worriedly inspected for any injury. “It tickles! Stop it Baekhyun ah!” I giggled and laughed out loud as he started to tickle me for real.

 

“Jen! What’s wron–” The boys burst into my room and froze. “W-What are you two doing right now!?” Suho barked. What is he talking about..?

 

Puzzled, I turned to look up at Baekhyun and realised that he was on top of me. Literally on top of me. “J-J-Jen.” He stammered when I gave him a dark look, and I waited for him to get off me. He did, shortly after getting my non-verbal message. Then, the boys tackled him to the floor and a mass wrestling session officially started my second morning as a nineteen-year-old.



 

“Jen! Over here!”

 

I looked up from my lunch tray to saw several arms waving in the air from one table. Grinning, I walked over amidst dirty looks and taunts, settling down in between Kris and Zitao.

 

“Ignore them.” Kris leaned over and whispered into my ear. His breath fanned the side of my face, tickling me, and I laughed causing the rest of the boys to snap their eyes to me and Kris. “Something you two would like to share?” Jongdae piped up, stuffing a spoonful of mashed potato into his mouth and getting gravy at its crooks. Stifling a snigger at the boy's apparent obliviousness of the mess at his mouth, I shook my head and directed my attention to my food.

 

“What are we going to do this afternoon?” Zitao eagerly asked as he grabbed my arm and smiled brightly. "Are we doing anything, guys?"

 

“Mm? Is there something going on in the afternoon that I don’t know about?” Pieces of pasta flew out of my mouth as I asked. The boys guffawed as the boys seated on both sides looked at me disgustingly.

 

Wiping tears from his eyes, Luhan looked at me with a glint in his eyes. “Guess we all have a different perspective of you now Jen.”

 

“Oi! It’s not like you guys haven’t spit out food before! I’ve seen everyone do that when we were young! Don’t you dare deny!” In mock anger, I pointed my finger at them and the whole table erupted into laughter which drew curious glances from students in the cafeteria.

 

As I watched the boys lean onto one another for support as they bowled over with laughter, I couldn’t help but smile.

 

These boys… What will I do without them.



 

[James Pigalle]

 

I stepped into the cafeteria and was greeted with loud laughter. Turning my head towards the noise, I spotted a group of boys and a single girl that sat among them. That girl… It’s that girl from yesterday! The girl that looks like Aera… I walked past the table as one of the boys stood up and bumped into me.

 

“Oh! I’m so sor–” He apologized and looked up at me. His eyes widened and went silent. Gawking, he stumbled backwards and I realised that the rest of the table were gawping as well. What’s with them…? The girl was looking downwards while two boys, though fixated on me, had their arms around her. Their eyes trailed after me even as I walked away, confused.

 

Tsk, what is wrong with them? And that boy… He looked at me like I was a ghost! In fact, everyone looked at me like I was a ghost! I made my way to my office, feet taking me to my desk as I sat down on the chair. Really, what is with them?

 

My eyes rested on a small photograph hidden behind a trophy in a cupboard and before I could stop myself, a soft chuckle escaped my mouth.


 

“Come on! Get into the frame! I’m going to start the timer!” I shouted as everyone squeezed into the tiny frame on the camera screen that I was looking at. The men all pulled their girlfriends to a spot beside them as I noticed Aera standing awkwardly at the side. I glanced up from the camera and smiled.

 

Here’s my chance!

 

I set the timer and rushed over to Aera. About to grab her hand and squeeze into the picture, another man ran over and pulled her away.

 

W-What?!

 

He got himself a spot beside Paul and pushed Aera beside him. “Oof! Nick!” She slapped him on the chest playfully as he grinned at her. Just then Aera looked over to me. “James! Get in here! The timer’s gonna end soon!” She beckoned me over with a smile. Nick glanced back as well and ran over to me. “Come on James! Stop daydreaming!” He grabbed my hand and we rushed into the frame.

 

Aera reached out towards us and for a moment I thought she was reaching out for me. Instead, she pulled Nick beside her and got herself ready for the shot.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter