2: He Was That Friend

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 18 of Exile]

Stepping off the bus, I inhaled deeply and readied myself for a new chapter in my life.

Glancing around, a huge white-marbled building came into view. It’s the college building. Sweet. Yet, I couldn’t help but let my eyes stray from the gorgeous structure to land themselves on a familiar, smaller, black-marbled building. I bit my lower lip while my breath hitched.

Up until the previous year, I had been studying in that building. It houses the standards from preschool all the way to high school. As it was the only school in this town built specially for superheroes (beings with power), everyone knew one another and you're practically stuck with the same people in your class every year.

But I was okay, more than okay actually. Having known the boys since I was a child, I had their company throughout my schooling years there. Though the older ones graduate when it was time to, I still had Kai and Sehun with me since we are the same age. It felt reassuring to have them in the same class because well, I was always being bullied.

Throughout my time in that black-marbled building, I had been bullied by females who hate me with a vengeance because of my close relationship with the boys, and were picked on by males who were jealous of my height because I was tall for my age during elementary and middle school. Other students just bully me because I was orphaned. Pretty backward thinking huh, don't you think?

As a forbidden product of love between my parents who were exiled when the government knew of my existence in my mother’s womb, I was orphaned the moment I was born. A certain someone betrayed them, resulting in them almost having to abort me. Ultimately, they had to reluctantly leave me behind before going into exile.

Yet, I know I’m fortunate. I have my grandparents, and my parents' friends, and subsequently their children. My parents may not be in my life right now, but those people are. They're the reasons I wake up each morning and aim to survive each day knowing that they'll be around to support me and love me for who I am.

But of course, I wonder sometimes. Are you alive, mum and dad?

I sighed, and returned my gaze to the white-marbled building. Finally, my last four years of school. A small smile spread across my face and I subconsciously turned to look at the boys. They were frowning and whispering amongst themselves with the exception of Xiumin and Suho, who were standing beside me, eyes darting around with their lips pursed.

What’s wrong?


 

[Kai]

“Take care of her. Don’t let her out of your sight.”

Luhan-hyung instructed as the other hyungs thumped me and Sehun on the back before they left for their individual classes. I glanced over to Jen who stood by her locker studying her timetable, frowning.

We walked over to her and I plucked the paper from her. All slots were blank except for the first period of today: The Test. , the hyungs didn’t mention this…

Sehun looked at me, his face depicting immense worry. I bit on my lower lip, shaking my head as the PA system suddenly announced, “All freshmen to report to the auditorium immediately. I repeat, all…”

“C’mon, let’s go.” Jen gripped my elbow gently and pulled me slightly forward. Smiling, I turned to look at her and noticed that she had done the same to Sehun. Oh. I thought she had only held onto mine...

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter