22: Surreal

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 19 of Exile]

 

"Wow, this place is a mess."

 

I whispered as I tiptoed into the kitchen and gawked at the washed bowls piled messily in the drying rack. Glancing around, I could also see dust-covered cupboards and when I opened some of them, insects (alive and decomposed) scared the bejebus out of me.

 

This won't do. If we're staying here from now on, I have to do something about this hellhole.


 

"Good morning, Jen."

 

I whirled around, spatula in hand and chopsticks in another, and smiled when a sleepy Luhan shuffled into the kitchen. He raked a hand through his messy bed hair and leaned on the counter, watching me prepare breakfast.

 

"Aren't you surprised about the cabin?" His raspy voice screeched and I quickly poured him a glass of water which he accepted gratefully. "You were totally out cold when we came so you must have woken up when we went to bed."

 

I bit my lower lip as I stared at the bacon slices that I was frying. Surprised? You could say that I wasn't; not very, actually.

 

The sizzling of the bacon echoed throughout the cabin. The woods around the infrastructure were silent and only the occasional chirping of birds interrupted the tranquility. I could hear my breathing, and Luhan's as he continued to watch me.

 

"Luhan, I–" Scooping the bacon slices onto a clean plate, I turned to the table and handed him the plate. Pointing to the table, he understood my directions and walked to the table before setting down the plate. "It feels like I've been here before."

 

His head snapped to mine and his eyes widened. "Are you certain? Because none of us know about this. Even Kris had a hard time trying to find this place even with the GPS." He walked back to me and held my shoulders in his hands. "Are you really certain, Jen?"

 

"What if I tell you that it's my gut feeling?" I peered up slightly at him, as his eyes never left mine and searched for the truth within. "What if I tell you that there's an extremely strong sense of familiarity for me?”

 

His mouth opened slightly, disbelief beginning to fill his gaze, but he kept his eyes on me.

 

“Would you believe me?"


 

[Baekhyun]

 

"Would you believe me?"

 

I groaned when I recalled the words that Jen spoke to Luhan-hyung. I swear, I didn't mean to eavesdrop; I just entered the scene at the wrong time, wrong place.

 

"A strong sense of familiarity, eh." I murmured. "But if she's been here before, when could that have been?" Grandpa and gramma brought her here? Impossible. They've never left the community.

 

"And it didn't seem like our parents would bring her here either." My mind whirred as I tried to think of a logical explanation for her answer. "Unless… in her dreams?"

 

Nah, it can't be. Baekhyun, you've read too many stories; you're starting to think like a melodrama author now. Snap out of it!

 

Sighing, I propped my chin on my palm and stared out at the dense woods that surrounded our cabin. The three vehicles that brought us here were sti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter