65: In Sidekicks We Will Prevail

Oh. My. Heroes.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Year 8]

 

[Aera]

 

“Dylan, would you mind opening the door? Our children just alighted from the school bus.”

 

Luhan’s father nodded, the back door to the kitchen swinging open on its own and it wasn’t long before the laughter of children travelled through.

 

“Mum! I’m home!” A girl dashed through, not in the least surprised to see that the door was open.

 

“Welcome home, Jen.” I held her at arm’s length, face cringing jokingly after smelling the pungent smell that enveloped her body. “Well, someone stinks.”

 

“Mum…” She sulked, crossing her arms. “For your information, Kai and Sehun stink even more.”

 

“Hey,” A boyish voice retorted, and a pair of pale-skinned and tanned boys trudged into the kitchen. The stench of perspiration wafted from them and I resisted the urge to throw up. “We don’t stink that badly, alright.”

 

“You guys do.” Dylan sniggered, just as his son waltzed in, with Xiumin at his arm. “And… so does my son.” His face fell, nose scrunching up in disgust as the stench intensified.

 

“Oh? Dad, you’re here?” Luhan placed his bag down in a corner of the kitchen, and Xiumin followed suit. “You don’t have to work today?”

 

“I took leave,” Dylan shrugged, “Wanted to take a break and besides, I haven’t seen you or your mother in weeks.”

 

“Damn right you haven’t.” The boy frowned, and his diction earned him a light smack on the arm from his father. “Mind your words, son.”

 

Luhan stuck out his tongue and Dylan returned the favour. I looked on, a grin forming on my face.

 

“Aunt Aera, where’s grandpa and gramma?” Sehun sat down next to me and I realised that my daughter had excused herself from the kitchen, her shadow nowhere to be found. “They should have returned from the market.”

 

“They’ve gone to the next town to visit their friends and won’t be back til tomorrow night. So, Kyungsoo’s mother will swing by later to cook dinner.” I discreetly edged my chair away from his.

 

“Sehun?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do me a favour and blow the perspiration smell out of the kitchen, or,” I pinched my nose, unable to tolerate the stench any longer, “go shower right now.”

 

We looked at each other for a few moments, neither speaking, before Sehun blew a raspberry and grudgingly shuffled out of the kitchen. Kai, Xiumin, and Luhan soon followed. The air cleared, but it didn’t last for long as the remaining boys entered and my nose was overwhelmed with the stench once more.

 

“Sorry, Aunt Aera and Uncle Dylan,” Suho bowed his head slightly in apology as he scooted past us, his shoulders gripped by Yixing’s hands. “We played soccer for awhile before boarding the school bus so that’s why we all stink.”

 

No wonder. “It’s okay,” I acknowledged his apology with a wave of my hand as Dylan chuckled. “Just, go shower right now before Uncle Dylan throws you out with his telekinesis.”

 

The eight boys saluted before darting out and proceeded upstairs noisily.

 

The corner of my lips tugged upwards and I reverted my attention to the book in my hands.

 

“Aera?”

 

“Mm?”

 

“They won’t ever know about that, will they?”

 

I placed the open book on the dining table, turning my head towards my friend. “They won’t.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“I don’t think there’s a need to let them know.”

 

We stayed in silence for a few moments before he spoke again, his tone much lighter this time. “You appreciate every moment with her, don’t you?”

 

I replied without hesitating, “Yes.”

 

“Yes, I do.”


 

“And that, Your Honour, is what will happen should you ignore my vision.”

 

I wasn’t in the courtroom. I was in the judge’s office, offering the man a full glimpse into the second vision that had plagued my nights for the past month. The first vision haunted me for months prior to the second, stealing my nights, causing me to jolt awake in cold sweat.

 

“So you’re saying, that if I ignore your first vision,” The judge started, his hands clasped in front of him. “The second vision will happen.”

 

“Yes, Sir.”

 

“And if I believe you, doing exactly what I’ve seen myself doing in the first vision, the second vision will never happen.” His eyes were wary, scrutinising my facial expressions. I nodded curtly. “I have to act now, don’t I?”

 

“The Government is contemplating if they should abolish the law that prevents heroes and sidekicks from getting together, so yes, it’s the time to act.” My fingers interlaced one another as I gazed at the sighing man from across the wooden desk. “If you want to prevent the second vision from coming true, if you want to prevent the deaths of those people I’ve envisioned, you have to act now.”

 

“I have to lock up that innocent man.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter