The proposal - Bangdae

Symphony ft. B.A.P.

Yongguk still can’t grasp the idea of it. To marry Jung Daehyun? How unexpected and bewildering? He had never thought of Daehyun as a life partner. Yes, maybe perhaps he had, but his thoughts revolved around accepting Daehyuns genius and working on their next revolutionary project, perhaps until the two are grown into old men walking around with the aid of a stick one has brought for the others sixtieth birthday; observing antimatter and matter collide, cancelling each other out. At least they would be somewhere near that in the next twenty years to come!

Yongguk shook his head, sipping down his coffee.
Yet again distracted.

Marriage?

That’s impossible to picture.

Yongguk put his empty cup down on the saucer, and took his gaze outside of the window. It seemed as if he bore into the view of the green grass spreading beyond, but where he really peeped into, was himself.

It wasn’t Jung Daehyun, he realized. It was the whole concept of marriage itself. He had never driven himself too far to ever think about it. He was a little taken aback. Could it really be? For thirty one years he had never thought about having a life partner?

Yongguk bit his lip. It was true.
When Junhong came spiraling into Yongguks life, his flow had taken a hundred and eighty degree turn and started to flow upstream instead. Was that possible? Well, yes. Yongguk can preach if wanted. After the seven year boy was adopted, Yongguk had family. He had a home and he never thought far from that.

Junhong was a capable, bright young student and Yongguk found a great deal of peace within himself, watching him grow. Eight years have passed since then; Junhong had his own life to lead.
Yongguk sighed.
He really cannot focus.

Focus on Daehyun, Yongguk. He’s going to be here in another ten minutes and what are you going to tell him? More importantly, what is he going to say to me?

Marriage of the two was brought up mutually by their families. In Yongguks side, his mother, and on Daehyuns’ side, his only Aunt. The moment the topic had become clear to the two as the two older women carved their path into matter, the words exchanged.

Daehyun was the first to text. “Hey Yongguk. My Aunts talking about my marriage. Why is it set up with you?” Yongguk gawked at the screen and he read the message three times to make sure if it meant what he thought it did. He found himself calling his mother on speed-dial.

“Mom, what marriage?”

It took her no longer than three minutes. Key points: You’re not interested in women, Daehyun’s a part greater than you think he is in your life, and I don’t want you to lay in your deathbed alone.

Yongguk contemplated on those words.
To be in deathbed alone?

Those words meant more than they did at surface. What marriage is meant to give you is things to hold dear to your heart and soul. Things that will light the candles. Yongguk shook his head at his own thoughts.
He had never been a religious man.
The meaning of marriage was a lost cause to him. As much as he tried to not speak of it, the true cause was his divorced parents. Marriage came at a cost, not in a mutually signed contract.

To hold Junhong close to heart is much less of a hassle.
Yongguk narrowed his brows. A hassle? Is that what marriage is?

Yongguk scratched his head. Is he ten years too late to be arguing over the meaning of marriage and the ceremony and the white dresses and the vows? Probably yes. His child-hood friend Kim Himchan is farther of two beautiful girls. (Hey, Yongguk is a farther of a handsome young man too!)

.

Daehyun walked in with his usual bundle of papers in his hand.

Too late.

 

Daehyun casually dragged back a chair and sat down, right across Yongguk.  This is where they usually sat for lunch.

“Thinking again?” He asked, smiling – and Yongguk returned it somewhat awkwardly. “Stuff.” Yongguk muttered rather stupidly.
Daehyun chuckled. “Well isn’t that very intriguing? I suppose stuff refers to the magnet coils we can’t figure out to sort yet.”

Yongguk held back his frown. He actually was thinking about Daehyun. Well, at least trying to!

“I thought that maybe we should try using concave iron. Maybe we would be able to manipulate the magnetic force lines to form half an eclipse. This would increase the strength of the field at where it begins, and soften it to the far corner of the eclipse. But then, obviously…”

“… The problem is how to charge it…” Yongguk completed.

“Exactly. If the canisters are meant to stay upright at all times, we could consider using a petroleum cell. It would decrease the mass of the energy store as well.”

Yongguk nodded his head. “The coil would have to be done on over the concave iron sheet.” Daehyun sighed. “I’m not quite sure if it will work. Theory remains balanced unless tried out for the five thousandth time.” Daehyun joked. Yongguk smiled. “That’s why we keep trying.”

Daehyun nodded.

“Listen, Daehyun… about this marriage thing…” Yongguk brought it up, back to surface. Daehyun lifted up his hand, gesturing not to say another word. 

“I know what you have circling in your head.” He smiled. “My answer, is yes. Would I spend the rest of my life with you? A thousand times yes.” He stood up, gathering his file.
“It was a very obvious one for me.” Daehyun chuckled as he started on slow steps.

 

“I argued myself since I was asked, and truthfully, I do not know your stand on this either. Personally marriage makes no sense to me. You, however, does.” Daehyun spared a smile over his shoulder before he waved.

“Don’t rush yourself. All good things for are the ones who wait.”