Unfinished business

Shape of my heart

"Are you sleeping yet?" A knock averts kyuhyun's attention from the book he reads. It's his mom.

Kyuhyun let out a sigh, actually he doesn't want to get disturbed by anyone. But something tells him, it's not right to ignore his mother like that. "I'm still up. Come on in"

Jihyo carefully peeks to the inside, looks up to what her son has been into.

Kyuhyun is sitting on the bed, legs are crossed. The glasses are on. A book on his hands. Jihyo's smiling, it only needs a second to figure out the situation.

"Sleeping trouble?" she asks while observing kyuhyun's expression.

Kyuhyun not letting his sight off of the book, he turns another page, "How do you know?"

"You want a cup of milk?" jihyo retorts, "I'll make you one."

Kyuhyun wants to reject the offer politely but his mother's pretty quick. In an instant she already left the room and appears 15 mins later with glass on her hand.

"You know, you don't have to be like this. With or..."

Jihyo ignores Kyuhyun's words, she's handing the glass to Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun half heartedly take the glass full of chocolate liquid. He looks a bit frowns. He doesn't really like milk. Any kind of milk. For him it tastes weird. He's more like a wine person.

But as for now, Kyuhyun doesn't have much choice since Jihyo is looking at him, anticipating and waiting for him to take a first gulp. Kyuhyun sniffs the smell of chocolate milk on his glass. Apparently it was one of his habit when he's drinking wine. Shake it a little bit then take a little sip. He tasted it in his mouth. It surprisingly delicious and tasty. He takes another gulps until finally the glass is empty.

Meanwhile Jihyo feels contented with Kyuhyun's expression. She can tell that her son likes it. "Like father like son." she blurts out unknowingly.

"I'm sorry?"

"Ah no. It's just.. You're just like a duplicate of your father." Jihyo's gaze become unfocused, "when he couldn't sleep, he'll just read a book in hours, just like what you did before. Since he's a businessman and have to wake up early, i feel sorry for him. So i will make a chocolate milk. It's a recipe from my mother, chocolate milk will makes your nerves more relax so you'll easily feel sleepy."

There's a weird sensation on kyuhyun's heart knowing about that. The biggest compliment for a kid, is when people around him told him that he is indeed like his father. No matter how much he hates his father, there's an annoying fact that kyuhyun can't deny, he admires his father. Sometimes, you can't deny, no matter how you love your mother, you will always look up to your dad and want a piece of praising for him. Kyuhyun's just any other normal kid that want his father to compliment him for any of his achievement. But he never get one, no matter that he's the first rank on every of his level of education. No matter that he graduated with maxima laude for his bachelor degree and master degree. He even finished his master degree in age 21. But his father never appreciate that. All he cares about is business.

"Don't hate him, kyu." his mother's voice bring back kyuhyun to the realm. Seems like Jihyo can read his mind.

"I know that you feel angry about the marriage. So does your sister. But, we will find a way and running away is not a choice. You have to face this. Even though your father looks very stern and strict, he actually loves you so much."

Kyuhyun winces to the word love. It feels strange for him if anyone told him that his father loves him. Because whatever way he's trying to show it, he just can't see it. He just can't feel it. It's invisible or just simply not exist.

A warmth on his hand distracts kyuhyun's thoughts once again. "Now go to sleep. It has past midnight already" she squeezes kyu's hand lightly before taking her leave, giving her son time to sleep.

Kyuhyun feels awkward all of a sudden. He wants to say something but courages are mocking at him. He wants to mentally slap himself

"Th... Thank you." there. Finally he said it.

Jihyo halts her steps. Frozen for awhile on her place, thinking maybe she deludes but kyuhyun's next words assure her, "Thank you mom."

Jihyo turns her body stares at kyu in disbelief but then she smiles and feels relieve. For now it's enough.