Chapter 9

Married to an Idol

Chapter 9

 

The mixed smell of fried eggs and brewing coffee waft through the air. Soyeon danced around the kitchen as she retrieve a couple of plates stacked up on a rack, lips busy memorizing some important facts for their history quiz they will have that day.

She was too deep in her own thoughts that she did not realize Jung Kook had walked into the kitchen, still in the clothes he slept in.


"I smell food." He look dazedly at the table full of fried eggs, toast and hot dogs.


Soyeon turned to face the direction where the voice came from. "Yah! Aren't you going to school today? Why aren't you ready yet?" Soyeon gave Jung Kook a once a over as she set a plate in front of Jung Kook and placed a fried egg on her grandfather's plate, who in return took another sip of his coffee before continuing to read his newspaper.


"School? School starts today?" Jung Kook's eyes widened as he remembered that the holiday was over. "Why didn't you wake me up earlier? Otteokaji?"


"Why would I wake you up? I did not get married to you to be your alarm clock." Soyeon turned her back against him and proceed to wash the dishes piled up in the sink. "Don't worry, you still have time. Hurry and get ready."


With no seconds to spare, Jung Kook ran upstairs to the bathroom, repetitively mumbling 'Otteoke'.


"Harabeoji, when is your nurse coming?" Soyeon took a seat beside her grandfather and started to spread jam and butter on her toast. Soyeon's grandfather was allowed out of the hospital with the condition that he would go to the hospital regurlarly for a check-up. They have to arrange for a nurse to pick him up because no one have time to drive him to the hospital nor do they have the hearts to let him go there alone by public transport.


Just before her grandfather could answer her, the door bell rung. Soyeon hurried out to the hallway and opened the door, greeting a warm-looking, middle-aged lady in a white uniform. "Good morning, are you the granddaughter Mr Lee kept mentioning about?" The nurse asked after they bowed politely at each other. Soyeon nodded and invited her inside.


"Aigoo, you're so pretty. I heard you're taking care of him now?" The nurse patted her as she remove her shoes.


Before Soyeon could answer, someone had cut in."Yes she is. I'm so grateful that she can take care of me." Soyeon's grandfather walked down the hallway with the aid of his walking stick. "Thanks for the breakfast Soyeon-ah, I'll take my leave first. I might be late today okay, so don't wait up. Nurse Oh will take care of me." Soyeon's grandfather walked out the door after kissing Soyeon goodbye.






"Who was that?" Jung Kook came down the stairs while tucking in his school shirt as soon as Soyeon close the front door.


"Harabeoji's nurse. Hurry and eat or we'll be late. I'm on patrol duty today."  Soyeon answered as she sat opposite Jung Kook.


Jung Kook smiled down at the food before him and ate quietly. "Is it fun? Being part of the Student Society? Telling people off and stuff?" Jung kook suddenly asked after a few minutes as he downed a glass of milk.


Soyeon gave the question a few thoughts before finally answering. " I don't think it would be fun if it weren't for my friends though. But I did it for the sake of the future I guess. I help to instill morale in the students." Soyeon smiled and Jung Kook was touched at the sight of how genuine her smile is.

Something rare to see in his field of work.


Realizing what Soyeon had actually said, Jung Kook snapped his head up to look at Soyeon. "You mean, the Exo gang are your friends?" He rounded his eyes. "Wow. You sure have a lot of male friends!" 

Was it just Soyeon or did Jung Kook look slightly disappointed?


"Same goes to you. I only see girls around you." Soyeon snickered with a mouthful of milk.


A sad smile slips up Jung Kook's face. "But they're not my friends. Honestly, I don't even have a single female friend." Jung Kook answered honestly as he walked up to the sink.
 

"Really?"  Soyeon went to the sink and took Jung Kook's plate to wash with her's. "Does that make me your first female friend?"


Jung Kook smiled at the last sentence. Friend. Since he debuted as an idol, he lost many of those although a number of people who claimed to be his friend came to his life at about the same time. His only friends were the other BTS members, but they were more like family to him.

So, the thought of making friends with someone other than his group members, makes him happy. Even if that friend is his wife from a forced marriage.

 

"Yes, I guess so." Jung Kook tried to hide his flushed smile by rubbing his mouth with the back of his hand, with the pretense of wiping it.



 

 


After Soyeon had double-checked the front door to ensure it was locked, she half-jogged to Jung Kook's side to catch up with him, who had started walking off towards the direction of the school. 

"I'll be late today. We have a meeting to discuss about the upcoming school festival," she said as she handed him a spare key to the house. "You'll be fine for dinner right?" she continued before running off leaving him bewildered, not allowing him to respond as she turned to wave him goodbye.

 

---

 

The meeting ended later than they thought it would. There were too many things to discuss. They would need to hold another meeting to further discuss the matters with the class representatives in the near future. The whole school would be busy preparing for the festival from now onwards, although not as busy as the student council.


This time, Soyeon did not stay back to clean up the meeting room. Although she was reluctant to go home and leave the boys at that, her desire to meet her mother that she misses dearly overpowered the conscience call.

Again, Jong In had followed Soyeon to walk by her side unknowingly out of habit to walk her home.


"Hey, what are you thinking?" Jong In asked as he place a hand on her shoulder.


Umma's cooking," Soyeon replied with a wide smile on her face at the thought of her mother's cooking, not surprised at the touch of the warm large hand, that was too familiar to her.


A smile tugged at the corner of Jong In's lips."Oh, I miss eomonim's cooking! You're going back to your own house today? Can I tag along?" Jong In exclaimed, his face lit up at the mention of Mrs Lee's cooking.


Soyeon chuckled. Of course her best friend would also be a glutton much like her.​"Of course you can. We can also work on our English assignment while we're at it." Soyeon suggested.

 

"Sounds like a plan to me."

 









"Umma, I'm home!" Soyeon ran towards the living room, expecting to see her mother where she would always be at this hour, but was greeted by an empty living room with the exception of the furniture.


"Maybe she's in the kitchen." Jong In suggested as he followed Soyeon into the living room. They both made their way into the kitchen but stopped half way, surprised to hear another voice other than that of Mrs Lee's. Soyeon crept closer to the doorway and almost fell backwards as shock registered in her mind.


Jeon Jung Kook was talking with her mother, as the latter observed her son-in-law eating her cooking from across the table.


Jong In too, was surprised. "Hello eomonim." Jong In called out to the petite middle-aged lady who was not as surprised to see the boy she already think of as her son since he was six.


What is he doing here? Jong In thought as the suspicion crept back in. He never knew that Soyeon had a close connection with Jung Kook, to the extent of him coming over to her house for dinner. When did they start knowing each other? Why didn't Soyeon ever mentioned about being friends with him?