Chapter 23

Married to an Idol

 

 

Chapter 23

 

Beep Beep Beep

Groan. The thin blanket flew as the owner beneath it sat up on his bed. He sat still for several seconds as the sound from his alarm  clock echoes throughout his small one-room apartment. 

Thud

Now he sits in silence. It was too quiet that he could even  hear the wheel of his brain working. L.Joe cussed as soon as he remembered something and he leaped out of bed and ran straight for the bathroom, grabbing his phone with him on the way.

While one hand was holding his toothbrush, the other was busy scrolling through his contacts list. He tapped the contact for the manager of the cafe he was working at and brought the phone to his ear.

"Good morning Manager Jung,I'm sorry to inform you that I can't get to work today," he then faked a cough. "I'm sick."




 

 


On his way to school that morning, L.Joe can't help but to grumble as he flashback the Head Teacher's words.


If you keep up with your absence Lee Byunghun, I may have to expel you. This is my final warning.


If it were up to L.Joe though, he would most definitely drop out of school and just work his off to financially support his 6-year-old sister and pay his mother's medical bills. But as badass as L.Joe sounds, he's very filial to his mother. And no mother would want to see their child being a school drop out to support his family at a tender age.


And today, school was where L.Joe was headed to instead of the coffee shop where he works at. If it takes him to skip work to be at school in order to net get expel, then he's willing to do it- even if he was already late to school by the way. Well, that's how L.Joe rolls.


Instinctively, he avoided the front gate where several student council members were busy writing down the name of the latecomers. There's a mini traffic jam over there with the vast amount of students who were late on purpose and that main purpose would be the three hot looking boys  by the front gate.

The good thing about studying at Seoul High is, everyday there would be hot-looking boys on duty by the gate. They would take turn on duty at random and it was never fixed. None of the girls would complain though. They got to see different hot and cute guys everyday, and that's enough to inspire them to get to school every morning.

 The boys looked annoyed as they gave out their name -there's no girl member from the student councils on duty that day- but the girls seemed too eager however. Which girl wouldn't? Hot guys are asking for their name for heaven's sake!


L.Joe avoided the crowd and headed towards the back of the school. The gate was locked but that wasn't a problem to L.Joe. He threw his school bag over the gate and climbed his way upwards and proceeded to jump onto the ground-without breaking a single sweat.


"Good morning Lee Byunghun."

Dammit. L.Joe hissed under his breath. That voice sounded too familiar. And he really hate the idea of getting familiar with anyone. L.Joe spun around to see Lee Soyeon smiling at him before turning her back away, hugging a thick book
 to her chest.

L.Joe was stunned for a few good seconds. That's it? She won't talk to him with a high pitch voice and invite him to lunch or anything? Not that he was expecting it anyway. Its just uncommon to him considering he too had his fair share of number of fans in this school. Hey, some chicks digs bad boys. 

But he was glad nonetheless. He hated how they kept crossing each others paths over these few day and the idea of having him under her nose is much despised by L.Joe. Feeling slightly annoyed at being greeted to that morning, L.Joe trudged off to class.
 




It was finally lunch break. Soyeon secretly took out the the lunch boxes she had prepared that morning from her school bag. Why secretly? She only brought two, and there are about 14 hungry wolves surrounding her. And obviously because the lunch box she had prepared was meant for someone other than her friends.

Soyeon shouldn't have taken Jung Kook's words seriously about preparing him a lunch box. But when she woke up that morning, Soyeon prepared two lunch boxes without giving it much thought. It was nothing special. Just some egg rolls on top of her special kimchi fried rice. But she felt content and glad about doing something nice. And she likes the happiness that comes with it.

 

Just after their history teacher, Mr Han took off from class 3-A, Soyeon sped off from her seat before any of her friends could comprehend what was wrong with her and walked out of the classroom.

"What's wrong with her?" Chen asked from behind Soyeon's seat to no one in particular. Jong In gave him a nonchalant shrug as he stared at the classroom door, trying to grasp the situation. Soyeon would normally walk with the gang to the cafeteria or she would at least inform him if she needs to go somewhere so that they wouldn't wait for her.

"Stomach problem maybe?" Chanyeol perk up from his seat. "She's been fidgeting in her seat throughout the lesson."




Soyeon had stomach problem alright. Her stomach kept on doing somersaults and cartwheels and different other acrobatic moves that she wishes she's cool enough to do, as she thought about the lunch box she was about to give to Jung Kook. How would he react to it? Will he like it? Of course he would, he's a glutton. But what if he makes fun of her effort, for taking his words seriously? His fans gives him lunch boxes everyday -which he would politely decline- of course this would mean nothing to him. 

 

That's almost true. Jung Kook barely runs hungry because noona fans would always pamper him with chocolates, cookies and beautiful delights that Jung Kook was allowed to take which he would share with Soyeon if he decided to be kind to her that day.

 

Soyeon almost skipped to class 3-C out of sheer excitement and anxious but slowed down her steps when she saw students piling up from the classroom. She tried to act nonchalant so that Jung Kook's classmate would not find her suspicious -which they don't considering how he job requires her to walk around the school anyway.

When she stopped by the entrance of the classroom, Soyeon was glad that the room was almost empty. Jung Kook did not notice her presence yet, but she stayed low as she watched him keep his school books under his desk. His dark circle is more prominent since she last saw him and he looked tired. No, exhausted. It seems that he lost some weight too.

Soyeon cringed at the sight. He still looked cheery but not as cheerful back when he was on his break. Juggling school and his career must have taken its toll on him and Soyeon felt slightly guilty for looking down on idols whom she thought had always been chasing fame instead of being passionate about what they do.

Soyeon was lost in thought but was in time to collect herself as Jung Kook approached her direction. He was smiling at her and Soyeon unconsciously mirrored his smile. Soyeon was about to break open to greet him with a snarky comment before her eyes landed on the lunch box cutely wrapped with pink cloth in his hand.

"You've brought a lunch box? Wow!" Soyeon said. But her tone denied the enthusiasm she tried so hard to fake.

"Umm, yeah," Jung Kook raised the lunch box up. "Minhee noona gave it to me this morning."

"Minhee sunbae?"

"Yeah. She waited for me by the front gate just to give me this before she head off to her college." Jung Kook smiled, slightly touched at his crush's thoughtfulness. "Wait, did you prepare me a lunch box too?" Jung Kook finally spotted the pair of lunch box Soyeon was holding.

There. The slight discomfort was back. But this time, the discomfort was much more painful and unbearable. It hurts. It friggin hurts and Soyeon doesn't know why. Soyeon felt humiliated too. I can't believe I made him this because I thought there was a slight chance that he might be serious. I can't believe I made myself a joke.
  
What's more painful is that she can't understand why she felt like tearing up over a lunch box when she knew it was nothing big. She can't understand why she felt this way when she had already told herself that he wasn't serious about wanting a home cooked meal from her anyway.
 
Maybe because she silently hoped that his words were true. That's why it hurts so bad.

"No, why would I?" She faked a scoff and immediately tried to erase her crushed feelings from spreading all over her face. "I prepared this for.." Shoot. Where's Jong In when you need him? Even if she could lie that the lunch box was for any one of her many friends, Soyeon knew that the consequences would be ugly. She would have to give it to one of her friends and they would fight over it. They would also think she has a crush on the that particular person she'll give it to. Even it that person may be Haerin or Hyesong -Just because they are obsessed with the idea of her falling in love.

Plus, its really not fair to give to only one of her friends.

Jung Kook patiently waited for Soyeon to continue with her answer. When she finally did, his smile faltered. "Its for Byunghun." She said, looking relieved as she looked past him at the pink-haired guy who was munching on his bread as he looked out of the classroom window. L.Joe perked up at the mention of his name and glared when he found out that it was Soyeon calling out to him.

Soyeon politely smiled at Byunghun as she made her way to his seat. L.Joe kept on glaring at her hoping that she would get the hint that he do not want to be approached but the girl did not even flinch under his intense glare. Just before he could cursed at her, a medium-sized lunch box, neatly wrapped with a blue cloth was placed before him.

"An apology gift for bothering and interrupting your quality time with your umma the other day." With that, Soyeon walked out of the classroom with a smile -which was slightly genuine than before- and said goodbye to Jung Kook.
 

 

Jung Kook felt crushed. Perhaps, deep inside he was hoping that the lunch box was made for him. Perhaps, he was hopeful that Soyeon did take his words seriously. Hence, that is why he felt horrible more than he should be at the thought of Soyeon cooking for other guys than him.

 


 

 

"Soyeon, where did you go?" Jong in asked and he scoot over on the bench as Soyeon approached their usual table at the cafeteria. She was grinning as per usual but Jong In noticed how her eyes was telling him otherwise. Which was very unusual for Soyeon because what's special about her was they way her eyes always smiled genuinely, no matter how bad her day would be.


"I went to the toilet." Soyeon awkwardly lied. Soyeon was not much of a bluffer to begin with. So, it didn't take much for Haerin and Jong In too see through the lie.


"Assa! I was right. Pay up Byun Baek!" Chanyeol smiled in triumph, buying the lie. Baekhyun's face contorted in displeasure as he fished out his wallet from his back pocket. Soyeon didn't know what the boys were betting on, but she knew it has something to do with her being late. And considering how Chanyeol was asking for money when he was actually at wrong, Soyeon had to put a stop to this.


"Yeol, don't do that." Soyeon said as she took a seat beside Jong In. 

Chanyeol gave her a look. "Why not? He lost, so he has to pay up!" He was obviously not satisfied. 10,000 Won was just about to be his.


"Its not nice!" Soyeon retorted back and proceed to open her lunch box.

"Fine." Chanyeol mischievously smirked as he eyed Soyeon's delicious looking lunch box. "I don't need the money if you would give me your lunch box."

"Dammit, Yeol. I woke up early to make myself this." Soyeon pouted, hoping that he wasn't being serious of wanting to snatch her lunch away. Chanyeol's grin faltered and he turned back to Baekhyun and took out his palm. Sigh. "Fine, I hope you don't mind sharing it with me?"

"Yes! Scoot over Kkamjong!" Chanyeol leaped out from his seat to harshly pull Jong In and sit on his place
.




 

 

 

 

 

 

Ding Ding

Scribble scribble

Ding Ding

Scribble scribble

Ding Ding


 

"Aish!" Soyeon groaned as she puts her pencil down and picked up her phone that was perched up on top of her mountain of school books. Almost roughly, she tap on the silent option and the annoying notification alert immediately died down.

She place the phone back on the table and continue from where she had stopped with her Biology exercise.


 

Bzzt Bzzt.

 

Tsk. Soyeon clicks her tongue as she huffs her breath. "Don't these guys have exams to study for?" She picked up her phone from where she had left it and swiped the touch screen to unlock it.

There were a lot of SNS notifications and messages alert from the group chat she's in with the Exo gang. Messages were coming non-stop and Soyeon had to scroll to the top of the chat room to find out what it was all about; Luhan had sent a copy of an article he had found on the web.

It is a picture of a girl handing Jung Kook that familiar pink-clothed lunch box that Soyeon saw a few days ago which Jung Kook seemed to gladly accepted. In that picture, Minhee was looking as fabulous as ever and Jung Kook looked as cute as usual as he flashed her his boyish smile.


 

 

SsangNamjaLuhan: Guys, check this out!

DuizhangKris: Isn't that Minhee sunbae?

Baek'sHyeseong: Gosh, it IS her!

XiuminHyung: They seemed so close.

SsangNamjaLuhan: It IS Minhee noona right?

ChenChen: Wow, I can't believe it. The rumors are true then?

ItsYeol: WHAT RUMORS!?!?

HealingUnicorn: What rumors?

KimHaerin: *sigh* Should I explain?

JoonmoneySuho: Shouldn't you guys be studying?

Hyesong'sBaek: SHUSH!!!! Go and study on your own!!!

D.O.o: Yeah! This is more important right now.

Sehunnie: I can't believe you're saying that hyung! THE nerd Kyungsoo chose gossip over study!


The teasing and bickering continued on for a while until Jong In finally popped a message.


 

Kai88: Guys! I really want to know what happened!

KimHaerin: Done?!

 

For a moment there, no one dare to type out any message. You could almost hear the 'silence' in the chat room.


KimHaerin: Jung Kook and Minhee sunbae are not dating.

ChenChen: WHAT?! *gasp*

ChenChen: Oh sorry. I thought you said they are dating.

PandaTao: So, Minhee noona likes him?

KimHaerin: Not sure about that though, but seems like it.

 

 

Not even once did Soyeon type a message. Even though her online icon was visible. She was practically invincible. With their huge number of members in the group chat and the constant popping of messages,  no wonder no one notices that only one of them did not write a message and was reading the chat silently, without saying a word. 
 

Soyeon continue to read the chats silently. Her revision long forgotten; secretly anticipating what Haerin had to say. She was not a fan of gossips unlike her friends (no surprise there). But right now she's at the edge of her seat chewing on her bottom lips, eager to know what actually happen between Jung Kook and Minhee sunbae.

Ding Ding

 

And the familiar pain from a few days ago crept back into her heart as she read the next message.


 

KimHaerin: Jung Kook confessed to Minhee sunbae that he loves her a year ago. 

Kim Haerin: But she rejected him. I guess she regretted that and is out to after him now.