Chapter 37

Married to an Idol

Chapter 37


 

 

 

 

 

Snap.


Jong In brought down his two fingers that had previously posed as a victory sign. His fingers flew across the screen to type away a short message under his selfie before he hit the sent button and smiled triumphantly as he wiped the sweat above his brows.

He kept his phone away and lay down on the bench he was sitting on, covering his eyes from the bight fluorescent light with his arms. He had been going on with his practice for a few hours and his back really needs a break. He closed his eyes and tried to settle in for a short nap, but every time he does so, he felt at the edge of breaking down.

His friends had told him their whereabouts, that they were stalking on Soyeon - on her date.

Of course Jongin expected that coming but --


 

It still hurts.


----


 

"Jung Kook, Soyeon..are you guys t-together?" Minhee asked with a shaky voice. Her pinks lips curled up in the most unnatural way as if it was by force. She shook her heads several times, convincing herself that what she said was not true. That it could not be true. That it should not be true.
 
Soyeon surprisingly appeared calmer than before. Unlike Minhee, she is a master at hiding her feelings to suppress her emotions from betraying her. What is sunbae to Jung Kook? Soyeon could not understand the meaning behind Minhee's expression. Soyeon turned to Jung Kook for an answer and Soyeon could hear the soft sigh escaping Jung Kook's lips. Jung Kook scratched the bridge of his nose as he tried to think of a reply.

The feeling of regret from confessing his admiration to Minhee a year ago crept back in.

Should I tell her?

Jung Kook told Soyeon's friends about their relationship, so why can't he just reveal it to Minhee? She's not a stranger to both of them.






Maybe it's because of the pleading look Minhee gave Jung Kook to deny the fact she fears - that Jung Kook is over her and the Jeon Jung kook belongs to someone else. The agonizing denial behind Kim Minhee's dark, beautiful orbs.

Jung Kook can't help however as a word slipped from his mouth before he could rationalize what would be the next step.






"Yes."







Minhee could not believe her ears. She her lips that went dry and turned to Soyeon, expecting her to shake her head and deny Jung Kook's words. But she didn't. Soyeon was looking up at Jung Kook, communicating with him through eye contact; assuring each other that it was alright.

Minhee snapped her gaze to the ring that Soyeon was toying and it didn't help that she was already light-headed from hearing the news - because now the dizziness doubled-over as the pieces to the puzzle fit together. 

 


It is true.




"Sunbae..." Minhee snapped away from her train of thoughts when she heard the soft, gentle tone that belongs to her hoobae. Soyeon was staring at Minhee with concern written all over her face. Minhee lets out a small chuckle to get rid of the tense air around them.

"Ar-ar-aren't you afraid that the media might find out?" Minhee stuttered. She chewed on her bottom lips in anger at how weak she appeared at that moment. "I mean, you were so cautious when we were together." 

Soyeon did not fail to catch Minhee's last words. 'We were together'. What does she mean?


"I was afraid. But I'm willing to take the risk for Soyeon." Jung Kook said, earning a broken smile from Minhee. Minhee was silent for a moment as she took in the whole situation. She saw Jung Kook playing with the ends of Soyeon's hair as he himself contemplate on what to say next.

 


That's when Minhee realized what she had lost.
 


Jung Kook was staring down at Soyeon affectionately, as if his world centers around her. His fingers that was playing with the ends of her hair wasn't a mere of act of habit. It was a need to have the slightest contact with her; because his eyes tell us how much he wanted to embrace her. His eyes- 
 


Oh his eyes - it displays all kind of emotions, emotions that he himself might not be aware off.
 


Jung Kook, realizing that Minhee wasn't going to say anything in return decided to speak up again. "Noona, I hope you would forget what has happened between us." He pleaded, his hand now holding Soyeon's small one tightly. "And can you please keep this as a secret?"


Minhee looked to and fro between the couple. A look of desperation is their eyes.


No. I won't let you have the ending that I should have had. He loves me first. If I have said yes, I would have Jung Kook all for myself. If only I had seen him for who he really was, if only--


Yes, if only. Am I too late?



---



It was almost dark outside when Jung Kook and Soyeon had finally walk out from the Coex mall. Minhee's date had miraculously came to the rescue as he decided to appear at the right time when the atmosphere was too tense and awkward for the trio to handle. 

 

Their walk back to the bus stop was silent but not awkward - each of them were too occupied with their own thoughts. The did not have to wait long for the bus arrived shortly after they reached the bus stop. Soyeon did not question Jung Kook again, as she obediently followed his steps and sat at the back row of the bus.

Jung Kook observed Soyeon all through the ride. He was expecting her to ask some questions concerning his relationship to Minhee - but she didn't. Not once did Soyeon open to speak and Jung Kook began to worry. Was she mad that he didn't tell her? Jung Kook wanted to ask but a soft yawn causes him to swallow down his question.

Soyeon looked up at Jung Kook with innocent - if not tired - eyes and whispers into his ears. "Wake me up when have arrive." She said before gently, rested her head on Jung Kook's broad shoulder and closes her eyes, her hands hugging tightly to Jung Kook's arm.


She... was just sleepy? Jung kook chuckled. Of course she had too think so much till it exhausts her. Jung Kook smiled lovingly at the cute sight. His insides were squirming and he desperately wanted to smolder her with kisses. The bus hit a hump and Soyeon stirred in her sleep, pouting her lips slightly - but no sign of waking up.

 


That's it.
 


Jung Kook unhook one side of his mask and brought his face closer to her's. His breath ghosting over her ear. "I won't let you get hurt. I promise." He whispered. Carefully, he kissed her temple and let his lips lingers.







Soyeon woke up to a gentle brush to her hair. As soon as she pry her lids opened, the first thing she saw was the sight of Jung Kook looking down at her with a soft gaze. "You woke up just in time. Our stop is next." He informed.

Soyeon lifted her head from his shoulder and blushed at the realization at what she had boldly done. "I'm sorry I fell asleep on you." She apologized.

Jung Kook scrunches his brows at her words. "You don't have to be sorry." He sighed. Is she still not completely comfortable with him yet? "And you should never be." He continued.

Soyeon noticed that Jung Kook was upset and she knew why. Because she hated it too. She wanted them to be comfortable. "Araseo." She smiled. "But you should be sorry for staring at people while they're sleeping. It's wrong." She playfully .

Jung Kook couldn't hold back from pinching her cheeks. "I'm. Your. Husband." He pinched after every word. "That entitles me to do anything I want with you." And Jung Kook couldn't help from blushing as he said those words. So smooth, Jung Kook. So smooth. He mentally face palms.





 



The next date stop that Jung Kook had planned was at Hongdae. A bustling nightlife district that he knew Soyeon would love. It was already dark by then, but Jung Kook still couldn't let his guard down, in fear that anyone might be able to recognize him.

The crowd is big at night and he 'had' to hold on to Soyeon's hand in order for them to not lose each other among the crowd. The street is lined with vendor stalls selling various dishes and snacks that had both of them drooling. Holding to Jung Kook's hand tightly, Soyeon looked like a little kid, amazed at the sight before her.

Hongdae nightlife is like no other. The street is lit with colorful neon signs and fluorescent light from street stalls. Aromas coming from vendors selling food is just mouth watering. Loud music were blasting from every direction, coming out of pubs and bars.

 


But Jung Kook had a small place in mind. It is his favorite place to go to and he wants to share it with Soyeon.


Soyeon was puzzled when the passed by the beautiful and alluring streets filled with stalls and shop as Jung Kook pulled her into a slightly quieter part of Hongdae. They walked for awhile before turning at corner into a dark alleyway. The alleyway wasn't that of a dirty back alley. It was clean, beautiful and calm - brick buildings on both sides with lit neon lights hanging indicated that the place was alive. But Soyeon couldn't help but to feel slightly nervous because the place was almost deserted.

Jung Kook finally lets go of Soyeon's hand to open a door to a small building that was almost hidden from the public. There was no sign on the front of the building and the door opened to a set of staircase that goes down. Jung Kook smiled reassuringly at Soyeon and offered his hands again for her to take. "It's okay. Come with me."



The stairs brought them to a warm cafe - that was surprisingly not empty. It was a normal cafe with bricked walls much like the exterior of the building and soft r&b music was playing in the background. "Are we old enough to go down here?" Soyeon can't help but to ask. 

Soyeon had never been to this kind of place but she had seen movies and dramas to know that these places are usually off to minors - which is what both Soyeon and Jung Kook are. Jung Kook chuckled at her cute worry and graze his lips over the knuckles of Soyeon's hand that he was holding, giving it a peck with his masked-mouth. "It's okay. They don't do dirty business here."


Jung Kook and Soyeon took a seat at the back of the room which give them the view of the whole place. It turns out that this place is more like a diner-cafe. They don't sell alcoholic drinks, but coffees and juices instead. There is a small stage set up at the center of the room with a mike stand and a stool on it.

Aside from the minimal furniture, the place intrigues Soyeon with it's unique decorations - awareness campaign posters and gig posters lined up the brick walls and a number of cute handmade eco-objects on bookshelves by the counter.

 


"What is this place?" Soyeon asked.

 

Jung kook smiled in relieved. He could see that Soyoen likes this place. "It's a small cafe that I used to go to before my debut to practice my singing and performance." He motioned towards the small stage and Soyeon could see the light shimmering in his eyes. She could somehow understand that this place means a lot to him and she's grateful that he shared it with her.
 


"I wish I could see that." She said.
 


Jung Kook looked warily at the stage. Should he? Of course the cafe manager wouldn't mind. All he needed to do is open his mask and reveal his face.



Bzzt Bzzt.



Both of them were cut off from their thoughts when they heard Soyeon's phone buzzing on the table top. Soyeon slides to unlock her phone to read the message she received with a picture of a sweaty - although still handsome - Jongin smiling back at her attached to it.


From: Kim Jongin
Practicing hard. Want to have ice-cream tonight?


Soyeon chuckled at her phone. She subconsciously ran her hands on Jongin's image in pride.  She was about to reply with a 'yes' but halted when she noticed Jung Kook gazing down at her phone. When Jung Kook realized that he was invading her privacy, he turned his head away to call for the waitress.

The waitress came shortly and they placed their order before walking away. Soyeon was still holding on to her phone, yet to reply to Jongin. 

 


"Can I go?" She asked Jung Kook.
 


"What?"
 


"Jongin invited me for an ice-cream, can I go?" She repeated.

Jung Kook was taken aback at her question. "Of course you can. He is your friend. You don't have to ask me for permission." He said although he honestly wanted to go against his words and have Soyeon all to himself. It disturbs him that she goes out with other male - especially Jongin.

 


"Are you sure?"
 


Jung Kook nodded.


"But he likes me."



 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Jung Kook lifted his head up to look at Soyeon in the eyes. "You knew?" He asked.
 


Soyeon nodded slowly, in obvious emotional pain. One, being that she is torn between two men she loves ; her best friend and her husband. Two, knowing that Jung Kook actually knew that Jongin likes her before she did and did nothing about it. "It's okay that he likes me?" She asked warily.

 

Jung Kook was silent for a while before he finally took off his mask. "Of course it's not okay. He is your best friend who loves you more than as a friend. Of course it's not okay." He said sternly, bringing his eyes down to look at their hands that he hand interlaced together. "If it's possible I would have tell him to cut off any relationship he had with you but I could not - not to you. You guys were best friend since forever and I do not want to hurt you by letting my selfishness take over me and separate you from your friends. So I decided to just trust. Trust Jongin to not snatch you away from me. Trust you to not leave me, and trust myself to make you happy without inflicting any pain."


Soyeon rubs her thumb in circular motion over Jung Kook's hand. "When did you know he likes me?"

 


"A long time ago. Before we even get married in fact." Jung Kook admitted causing Soyeon to rounded her eyes in shock over the revelation. "I saw how he looked at you and truthfully-- I pitied him. He had you all too himself before I came into the picture. I felt guilty for taking you away but I never regret that decision."
 


Jung Kook noticed the sullen look in Soyeon's eyes. The guilt was seeping in her veins and she didn't know what to do either. 


"So, it's okay if you want to go with him. Because I trust you. Even if he betrays his words on me, I trust you."



Soyeon looked deep into Jung Kook's eyes and they were sincere. Just minutes ago, her curiosity about Jung Kook and Minhee was boggling her mind. There's so many things she wanted to ask, words of reassurance she wanted to hear but --


"I trust you too."





Trust is a big word and it carries an unspoken responsibility.


 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note.

Hey guys. It's been so long. Really long. Miss me?
I'm done with my orientation and class has started. Wish me luck on my journey because it's only the beginning to a long winding road.


Anyway, did you guys realize that our Jung Kook is getting hotter and more handsome each day? Like asdfsghjkldgaaaahhh but I'm not complaining. *Winks*

 

 

 

 



 

Oops. Wrong guy.