Chapter 25

Married to an Idol

Chapter 25

 

"Jung Kook-ah, let's do some shopping after we're done with dessert," said Minhee as soon as the waiter walked away with their dirty plates.

Jung Kook did not say anything in reply. He threw his gaze over the restaurant's glass window that looked down to the parking lot of the shopping mall. He pulled his red hoodie over his head and tried so hard not to make his side profile viewable to the teenage girls who somehow had suspected that he is a celebrity.

"Noona, I thought you said we're going to a private restaurant?" Jung Kook asked, his eyes never leaving the rows of cars down below.

"This IS private." Minhee exclaimed and she emphasized her point by motioning towards the almost-empty curry house. "Why? Don't you like to be seen with me?"

"No, it's not that." Jung Kook answered with slight hesitation in his voice. "But, you know that there's that article about you and me, right?"

"I know." Minhee answered, her lips curved into a small smile.

If she knows, then why is she doing this? Going to public places, acting like it's nothing when she knows what kind of situation he's in. What if rumors got out that a rookie artist is dating? What if the sasaeng fans begin to do some digging and found out about Soyeon.

What would happen to Soyeon?

Jung Kook nervously nibbled on his lower lips, his fingers fiddling with his wedding band - on the necklace that still hung around his neck till today - for courage.

"That is why, I don't think it's right that we see each other too often. What would people think of us?" Jung kook boldly ask.

Minhee smiled, the opportunity to ask the question she longed to ask finally came. "Then, why don't we date?"

 



If it was a year ago, Jung Kook would be thrilled by this! How many times had Jung Kook begged Minhee to be his? How many times had he got down on his knees to profess his love for her?

Too many times.

So why, after rejecting him for countless of times, did now only she wanted to be with him?

Jung Kook had a rough idea of why Minhee changed her mind, and heart at that. He noticed that she had only shown interest in him when they met each other during the school festival - the first time they met each other since he became an artist.

Is that why? 

Because he's a singer now? A celebrity?

Is that why she always wanted to drag him to places where they could be seen together? To be caught on camera? 

Is that why the smile she gave to him now, is much, much different than the smile that lack sincerity that she gave him then?

 

"Noona, do you even like me?" Jung Kook blurted the question that had been hogging his mind these few days. "Do you like me for me? Or for what I've become?"

Minhee was intimidated by his question. She can't help but to feel offended even though she knew what he said is true. "Of-of course I like you for who you are." Minhee's smile faltered. "Always did."

"But you rejected my heart," Jung Kook's voice trembled slightly at the pain that began to crawl back into his heart. But he kept his eyes hard as he looked at the girl he once love square in the eyes.

"I-, that's to test you on how much you actually like me." Minhee began to panic. She turned her gaze to her surrounding, unable to withstand Jung Kook's intense gaze. He looked so angry and-

Broken.

 

"Noona, you told me I was just a boy to you. Just another boy."


"I-" Minhee was at a loss for words, her face was red from humiliation. She racked her brains for a comeback, for words that would save her from being dumped by the boy that she cruelly dumped over and over again. Then she spotted it-

The ring. The ring he kept playing with.

"You. You're just saying that because you have someone else don't you?" Minhee retorted, calmly this time. And she knew the tables had turned when it was Jung Kook's turn to be flustered. "That ring." She pointed at the wedding ring resting against his chest.

Jung Kook gulped nervously, his Adam's apple bobbing. But he wiped the anxiety away as soon as it came. He collected his composure and replied back with a nochalant shrug. "What are you talking about, noona? This is an accessory."

Dammit. Minhee cussed. "Why did I not think of that?" She muttered under her breath. But I think I've seen a similar one somewhere before. An identical one at that.

 

"Now, if you don't mind noona, I need to go." Jung Kook wiped the sweat above his lips line before placing the napkin on the table.


"But I thought we're going shopping?" Minhee asked, though it came off more like a whine.

 

"Ah, I'm sorry about that. I forgot to tell you that I have to meet someone tonight." He said before excusing himself, leaving Minhee alone and astounded as the waiter approached her with the dessert she had ordered.

With a light heart, Jung Kook walked away. As if a boulder had been lifted off his shoulders, Jung Kook felt good! He can now be sure he feels nothing for Minhee.

Thanks for the experience, noona. Thanks for helping me to realize what it actually feels like to love someone. It wasn't love what I felt for you. But what I feel now, is happiness. To finally being able to let you go.

 

Goodbye, Noona.

 

 

 



 


The night was cold and the sky was clear; stars illuminate brightly, lighting up the silent April night. A refreshing night.

 

The one week monthly test is finally over!!

 

 Being exhausted and drained off energy, Soyeon was practically a living zombie calling out for her bed the moment the teacher collected their final paper.

Therefore, here she is, on her way to the neighborhood 24-hour manga cafe in the middle of the night, not being able to get some sleep after taking a good, long nap that afternoon.

 

"Ahjumma, one caramel macchiato please," she placed her order as soon as she walked in. Her voice soft, her footsteps light; afraid to break the serene comfort of the warm cafe.


As soon as she got her hands on her favorite late night drink, she wrapped her slender fingers around the warm mug and make her way to her favorite spot at the back of the dimly-lit cafe with a small round table and a pair of red and blue bean bags beside the floor to ceiling glass window.


And just her luck, her favorite person was there too; drinking what she assumed would be a mug of hot chocolate with a manga in one hand.


"Jong In," she softly called out his name.


The said boy looked up from the manga he was reading and was caught by surprise when he saw who it was.


Soyeon smiled gently at him as she sat herself on the empty bean bag."You came here without me?" She asked, her lower lips jutted out cutely in a pout.


"You too." Jong In chuckled lightly. "You didn't text me about coming here."

Soyeon did not reply. He had a point there.


For awhile, none of them said anything. Just sitting there in silence, lost in their own train of thoughts.


There was something bugging Soyeon these few days. She had tried to google the answer to this problem, but just the thought of it sounded ridiculous. It's a matter concern to her feelings anyway. 


But she's not sure who to turn to.

 

Soyeon unconsciously gave her best friend a good, long look. She ran her eyes over his long lashes, brown orbs, perfectly sculptured nose and that pretty luscious lips. The flawless human being she called her best friend. 


Soyeon never realize how lucky she was to have Kim Jong In as a best friend. A gentle soul with a cup of loyalty and sensibility. At times like this, Soyeon always wondered how she had never fallen for Jong In.

He would be the best friend everyone ever wanted in their lover.


But unfortunately god made them best friends and not lovers. 
 

And as a best friend, Jong In would be able to help her wouldn't he? She could ask him these questions that's been bothering her right? Questions like-

 

"Have you ever like someone?"


Soyeon almost burnt her tongue from the hot drink. She was shocked that the question was out in the air.



But it didn't rolled off her tongue.



But Kim Jong In's instead.
 

"Have you ever like someone that it hurt so, so much just from trying to contain it?" He asked again.


Yes. I do. Soyeon subconsciously answered.


"I don't know what you mean," Soyeon answered with a blatant lie. "Do you like someone Jong In?"


A small, gentle smile broke across Jong In's handsome face. "I didn't know I had these feelings in me at first, but then it grew." Jong In continued, ignoring Soyeon's question. "Like a flower it blossomed. Just by seeing her smile, I can literally feel the butterflies."

I feel those too. Sometimes it even does flips and somersaults.
 

Soyeon kept silent as she continues to listen to Jong In as he went on with his monolog, staring off into spaces.


"Instead of laughing at our greasy friend's cheesy whispers of sweet nothings at his girlfriend, that 'someone' would be on my mind and I can't help of wanting to do those sweet things with her."


Sometimes, out of the blue, I had those imagination too. Images of me bickering and laughing it off with him. And he would say something disgustingly sweet into my ear... Soyeon hated those out of the blue images that popped in her day dream. It always caught her off guard and wanting for more.


"And when I see her with other guys," Jong In continued, "even if those guys are only friends with her, I hated it. I get jealous. And I'm afraid that they would all fall for her like I did."


I hate it too, when other girls surround him. Because I know for a fact that those girls really like him. They would swoon at his feet just by looking at him.


"Then, shouldn't you tell her that you like her?" Soyeon unawarely breaks open, surprising herself with her own bluntness. "Shouldn't you let her know that you like her before somebody else steals her away?"


"But what if she did not reciprocate my feelings?" Jong In asked, a hint of panic in his eyes. "I might ruin our friendship. Should I take a chance on someone I'm not willing to lose?"


"Any person out there who would break any sort of relationship with you does not deserve you." Soyeon offered him a genuine, reassuring smile. She played with the bottom of her mug in her hands for a few good good seconds before finally looking into Jong In's eyes.


"It is a risk to love. What if it doesn't work?" Jong In asked. The question was directly meant to the girl he mentioned. Her.
 
"Ah, but what if it does?" Soyeon answered. Not knowing she was answering the question Jong In had meant to ask her.

 

 

But that night, Soyeon found the answer to her own question regarding Jung Kook though.

And the feeling of finally being able to solve the problem she's been dwelling for days is - great. The feeling is somewhat similar to when you're being able to solve that tricky calculus question. Satisfying and relieving.

 

 


 


"Oh, you're here?" Grandpa Lee smiled tiredly at Jung Kook as he pushed his spectacles over the bridge of his nose.

He was tired from another experiment the doctor had done on him to cure his Leukemia. But then, he could not find himself to fall asleep. The book he was holding was his only hope to get him to sleep through the pain.


And when Jung Kook came that night, it came to him as no surprise however. In fact, he was actually looking forward to his company.


"You came to visit me more often than my own children and granddaughter did," he chuckled.


"Oh, I'm sorry. But I hope I'm no bothering you." Jung Kook answered politely albeit being perfectly aware that he did nothing wrong.


"What are you saying? Of course not. I'm bored to death here." Mr Lee mockingly glared at his Jung Kook before letting out a sneaky chuckle. "No pun intended."


Jung Kook laughed with him before ending it with a contented sigh. His cheeks are aching from smiling since the moment he stepped out from the restaurant at the mall.

"You look so happy tonight. Met some fans?" Mr Lee asked

Jung Kook laughed at his -yet again- correct guesses. It doesn't have anything to do with age or experience, but this old man is good at guessing!

"Yes. They stopped me on my way here to take some pictures and gave me this." Jung Kook took out several pieces of fruit-flavored sweets and tossed one to Mr Lee. The old man unwrapped it and popped it into his mouth.


"Hey, why don't you sing me to sleep tonight? I feel like listening to some good musics." Mr Lee said before climbing down from his bed and walking over towards the sofa placed at the opposite end of the room, facing the night view of Seoul.


Jung Kook nodded eagerly and automatically grab the guitar rested neatly on the wall beside the bed and sat himself beside the old man.


"What would you like me to sing tonight?" Jung Kook asked as his fingers busily tune the guitar.


"Anything that comes to your mind." Mr Lee answered, his elbows propped behind his head, as he gaze over the dark night; the star was still and the moon was barely overshadowed by the thin layer of clouds. The night was just perfect.

 

Jung Kook cleared his throat as he plucked the guitar before beginning to sing.

 

The song Jung Kook sang that night was one Mr Lee was unfamiliar with. It has a different feeling to it from the songs he and Jung Kook used to sing together. But what set it off differently was the way Jung Kook sang it.

There's a foreign element to it that complement Jung Kook's amazing singing and performing skills.

 

As though time has stopped, while I pinch my cheeks
As though my heart has stopped, while biting my lips
As though falling in love, I didn't know what I was doing
As though falling under the spell, I couldn't breath
Just like how my heart beats

Loving you-u-u-u-u loving you-u-u-u-u
I will love you, I am still going to love you even if I turned old or fall down
Oh~
Only you-u-u-u-u only you-u-u-u-u
Oh only you, whom I will give everything to
Loving you

Maybe now I know what love is ah~
Feels like it's coming to my heart, because I have waited for it
I will give you the secret kiss again while looking at the picture
I want to do anything just for you while looking at a night sky
I will run to you

I'm going to chase only you
I'm going to search for only you
but you ran away again

Loving you-u-u-u-u-u loving you-u-u-u-u


You look beautiful more than anyone else and you are shining bright oh~
I am happier than anyone else and because you are here, I will be shouting or you
Only u-u-u-u-u only u-u-u-u-u
I am going to confess my love for you just like this so please accept me~
Loving you


 

 

Mr Lee still had his eyes closed even after the song was done. It was hard to pry his heavy lids to open when he was still too overwhelmed with the mini performance. It is no wonder that boy became a famous singer. He sings with a passion.

And tonight, he sang with just the right emotion that would put ballad singers out there to shame.


With his eyes still closed, Mr Lee asked him. "Do you like someone?"


Jung Kook was taken aback by the question. His mouth hung low, and a glint of panic painted his porcelain face. Jung Kook felt like a boy who just got caught stealing a cookie from a cookie jar.


"I-I- No." Jung Kook answered hesitantly. He had been denying it for a couple of times when Kim Suk Jin and his group members asked him. But it still wouldn't come off naturally when he said those words in front of the old man. 


"Don't lie to me." The old man could tell that Jung Kook is now red in the face, even with his eyes still closed. "Is it that pretty, tall girl who used to go to your school?"


"No- how did you know?"


"The picture of you with her went crazy online." Jung Kook laughed softly. It was true. He got scolded by his manager and hyungs because that picture became a top search on the internet, raising anger and frustration from netizen. Not to mention spreding wrong speculations like wildfire

"So, is it her?"

 

"No. I used to like her. But I now know that it was just a crush." Jung Kook answered confidently. After sorting it out with Minhee, thoughts of her doesn't bug him anymore. Because he is sure now that he only like one girl. And that one girl would be-

 

"Is it Soyeon?"

 

No answer.

 

Mr Lee smiled.

 

After a long silent, Mr Lee finally opened his eyes. "Tell her."

 

Tell her that you like her. Because I know she likes you too.