Chapter 28

Married to an Idol

 

Chapter 28 

 

"I thought you said you were on a diet? But you ate more than I did!" Soyeon teased Jung Kook as soon as they stepped inside the resort. They were walking side by side now, Soyeon no longer leading the way.

Jung Kook faked an an offended look. True, Jung Kook ended up eating a lot. How could he not? After her words of reassurance, he could no longer contain the temptation to indulge himself with the foods - thanks to Soyeon's excellent expression and reaction to every food she ate.

"Still! You ate much more than I did!" Jung Kook retorted, boldly pointing towards Soyeon's clothed tummy. Soyeon had stopped walking from beside him and Jung Kook turned to look at her. Gasp. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that you're-"

Soyeon silenced Jung Kook by pressing a finger onto his lips. She gave him an amusing smirk 
"I like you, Jung Kook-ssi." Jung Kook raised his brows at Soyeon's sudden formality. "You're turning to one of my friends now." She grabbed Jung Kook's hand and gave it a firm hand shake.

Well, I like you too. But not in that sense. I like you a lot! Jung Kook screamed mentally.


"So~Yeon-ah!!" 

Jung Kook and Soyeon both turned to direction where the high-pitched call came from. It was bridezilla. Somi was running towards them while shouting at people to move away. Her hair was in a mess and her face flushed red.

Soyeon instinctively hide behind Jung Kook. "Yah! What's happening?" She whispered.

"I have no idea." Jung Kook cowered as he tried to release Soyeon's firm grip on his shirt, to hide behind her instead.

"Soyeon!" Somi breathed in relief as she gasped for air in front of the stunned couple. "Where have you been?! I've been searching for you! Did you go on a date with him?!" She pointed an accusing finger at Jung Kook, her face contorted in annoyance.

"I-"

"You two love birds should go on a date some other time! Not when I needed you! Oh god my wedding is in a mess!!" She wailed. As far as everyone is concern, the plans went about smoothly. The only thing that was in a mess was Somi. This whole wedding stuffs is getting to her huh?

But why didn't Soyeon suffer from this syndrome before? For all she remembered she was calm on her wedding day. And Soyeon got married off while she's still in high school without getting the chance to be in love for god's sake!

"Noona, how are we supposed to know you needed her?" Jung Kook defended his wife though he was slightly affected by the glare Somi gave him.

"Unnie, breath." Soyeon finally make a move as she went to hug Somi and rubbed soothing circles on her back. And just like that, Somi calmed down. Her eyes shut closed and the wrinkles of her frown disappeared. Jung Kook was caught by surprise again. This girl is magical. He thought.

For a moment, Somi had forgotten what she was being frantic about. But the smooth sheet of papers in her hand reminded her of her sole reason of searching for Soyeon. "Here." She handed the papers to Soyeon. "The pianist said he couldn't come at the last minute. Jung Kook's umma told me you could play the piano so can I ask you a favor to play the piano instead?"

Soyeon turned to the piano sheets in her hands. She know the pieces. She had played them before and one of it is one of her favorite. "Sure. Of course unnie."

Somi smiled in gratitude and gave Soyeon a wet smooch on her cheeks. "You're the best!" She then turned to Jung Kook. "Can you finally tell me what song are you going to sing?"

"It's a surprise noona! It's your wedding gift remember?" Jung Kook grinned mischievously at Somi.



----



"So, what song are you going to sing?" Soyeon asked after she was done rehearsing on the piano in the ballroom. It didn't take much practice. She had played the songs on piano a few times before at her instructors' request.

Jung Kook lifted his head to look at Soyeon. "What?" His mind has yet to reach the ground from cloud nine after hearing Soyeon's beautiful piano playing.

"I'm asking you, what song are you going to play for Somi unnie." Soyeon repeated her question patiently. "The surprise gift you mentioned."

"Oh, that. James Blunt sunbaenim's You're Beautiful." He stated. The smile on his face disappeared replaced by a questioning frown. Soyeon was giggling at him. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing." She shook her head. "It somehow sounded funny when you called James Blunt, sunbaenim." She giggled again.

"He is my sunbaenim." Jung Kook mumbled. He still could not understand what was so funny about that. "So, what do you think of the song I chose?"

Soyeon hummed the lyrics of the song Jung Kook mentioned, trying to remember how the song went. "It's nice." She nodded her head, receiving a glad sigh from Jung Kook. "But you do know that the song is about an unrequited love and that the guy killed himself in the end right?"

Jung Kook looked shock at the revelation. "Really?"

"I saw your face in a crowded place. And I don't know what to do. Cause I'll never be with you." She sang, slightly off-tune. But it did not affect either of them in the slightest bit. 

Jung Kook paled. "Eotteokhe? I chose a sad song for a lovely wedding." 

Soyeon laughed at Jung Kook's sudden panic attack. "Just think of a new song to sing."

Jung Kook brightened up at the idea. But then he remembered something and the hope faltered."But I only brought one accompaniment music." 

Soyeon can't help but to think how adorably dense Jung Kook is. "I'll try to play it for you on the piano." She smiled kindly at Jung Kook. "So, what song do you have in mind?"

Jung Kook was relieved. "You're my savior!" He whispered as he looked at Soyeon lovingly for a few good seconds. But then, he hadn't thought of a song to sing yet. Although there's this one song that kept playing in his mind whenever he is together with Soyeon...

"Okay, I have a song in mind." He told Soyeon.




---




"Why are you staring? Do I look bad?" Soyeon asked as she ran her hands down the pastel pink skirt, smoothing out any possible crinkle and making sure that the sequins on her top was not loose.

Jung Kook tucked a lone strand hair behind Soyeon's ear though his eyes never left her's. "No." He whispered. "You look beautiful."

Soyeon blushed. Soyeon was afraid to believe his words. Jung Kook is an artist, a performer. It is in his norm to compliment others and make them feel special. Truth to be told, Soyeon didn't think she looked beautiful. But the way Jung Kook stared down at her makes her feel beautiful. It appears to her that his eyes said nothing but the truth.

Soyeon flustered under his burning gaze. She slapped Jung Kook's hand away and walked to the bed where Jung Kook had laid out his blazer to be worn for the evening. Soyeon picked the dark blazer and hold it out for Jung Kook to wear on top of his white dress shirt.

"You don't look too bad yourself." She complimented Jung Kook once he was completely dressed. 'Not too bad' is an understatement. Jung Look looked extra handsome that night. He had his hair slick back at Soyeon's insistent and instead of the usual dinner jacket, he had donned on a dark blazer matched with a black pants paired with an Air Jordan.

Jung Kook thanked Soyeon in his usual smug tone but it soon faltered when he ran his hand over his face in front of the mirror. "I still think I should put on some make-up though." He turned to face Soyeon. "So can you please lend me yours?"

Soyeon laughed out loud when she knew she should not. Jeon Jung Kook had insecurities too huh? "Are you serious?" She ignored his pleas as she put on her pumps. "What has the world become! Guys obsessing over having make-up on their face?"

Jung Kook jutted his lips out in disappointment. No matter how many time Soyeon told him to have confidence in his self, he still find it impossible to do so. Not with Soyeon by his side! That girl outshine him. And he's supposed to be the star here.

"Fine." He rolled his eyes. "Just don't be too pretty anymore." He uttered the last sentence under his breath.



---


His cousin Somi walked in and the music began to play, accompanied by the sounds of the waves. What a beautiful wedding it was. The exchange of vows took place on the garden of the resort, facing the beach and the setting sun. The sun has yet to set and the tide along with the weather seemed to congratulate the two loving couple on their holy matrimony.

Heads turned to face the bride looking as beautiful as a bride should be as Somi walk down the isle towards the awaiting groom. But Jung Kook can't help but to look at his bride instead. He tried to find any hint of envy on Soyeon's face. He understood well that they got wedded not because of love. Their wedding wasn't as beautiful as his cousin's. But she didn't regret it did she?

But Soyeon's expression portrayed none of the emotion Jung Kook had expected. In fact, she seemed happy. She always seemed happy. With that radiant smile glowing on her face, her beauty outshone the bride even. Soyeon, what did I tell you about not to be too pretty anymore? Jung Kook thinks to himself.



 

 


 

Somi and her groom was successfully pronounced as husband and wife. Words of congratulatory were thrown everywhere. But there a few of those who were disrespectful enough to come to Jung Kook to have pictures taken with him.

The elders clicked their tongue in disapproval at their behavior and Jung Kook can't help but to feel guilty and responsible. The day was about his cousin and her husband, not him. But these girls are attracting too much attention. "Thank you for supporting BTS, but I don't think now's the time-"

"Here. Let me take the picture." Soyeon cut his words. "Just get it done with. I don't think they'll listen to you." She whispered to Jung Kook. The girls squealed in the delight as one of them eagerly handed Soyeon her smartphone. "Smile~" 

Click. Snap.

Without a word of thanks, the girls ignored her. Soyeon's presence long forgotten as they surrounded Jung Kook again, asking him blunt questions and for his autograph even. "Girls, I thought you only wanted to take a picture with him?" Soyeon reminded the fangirls, struggling to keep her cool.

One of the girl brushed Soyeon aside, earning a hurt expression from the latter by the rude gesture. "Who are you? Oppa's manager?" Jung Kook noticed how quick Soyeon was to wipe the emotions away. She gently smiled at them, her calm still collected.

Jung Kook suddenly boiled in anger. He was no longer smiling at the little fans. "Do you realize we're at someone's wedding! You should show some respect." He snapped and the girls fell silent. A quite "I'm sorry oppa," was heard from the group as they began to walk away.

Soyeon stared at Jung Kook with her eyes wide open. Jung Kook got mad? Soyeon had never seen him gotten mad. With that cute face of his, no one would thought such adorable human being could ever get mad.

Suddenly, Jung Kook pulled the last girl from the group by her arm. It was the girl who had rudely shouted and pushed Soyeon aside. The girl was stunned, her eyes hopeful.

"Apologize to her." Jung Kook demanded in a hard voice.




---

 


As the sky darkens, the crowd was ushered to the ballroom for dinner. The room was huge but it was soon filled with guests - still buzzing about how beautiful the wedding is. Soyeon was seated on a big round table with Jung Kook sitting on her left, and another of Jung Kook's relative on her right.

After that evening's unfortunate event, Jung Kook would never let Soyeon out of his sight, reasoning that his fans might hurt her again. Soyeon was happy that he was beginning to be more and more nice and caring towards her, but Soyeon needed a room to breath.

 

He's being too protective all of a sudden.














"I'll just be gone for a while. It's just a couple of songs. Don't worry." She assured Jung Kook as she pushed her chair back with a soft screech.

She chuckled at Jung Kook's pinked face. "Who's worried? Not me!" He huffed and took a sip of his drink. "Just go. Or Somi will kill you."


 


Soyeon could feel eyes on her as she took a seat before the grand piano. She could distinctly hear the girls from before questioning who she was with hatred and envy in their tone. Soyeon's wasn't used to hatred but she thought nothing about the comment. Because she could hear it too, the voices of admiration from the other guests.

 

In with the positive and out with the negative. Soyeon closed her eyes.

 

 

 

Her fingers flew on the keys of the white piano. The pieces she played was Mozart's piano concerto No.21 followed by Debussy's Arabesque No.1. After she was done with each song, the crowd applauded, eager for their ears to be feasted with more of her beautiful playing.

Yiruma's River Flows in You was next and the applause was louder than the former songs she presented at a tune they have actually heard off. Heh.

Jung Kook beamed proudly at Soyeon as she walked back towards her seat, bowing thankfully at the guests who kept throwing compliments at her as she walked by. Even from the fan girls. The looked of envy and hatred vanished completely replaced by a look of admiration. 

As expected, no one could hate on Lee Soyeon.



 

 

 


Not long after Soyeon was done with her food, Jung Kook was invited on stage for his surprise performance. And Soyeon followed behind him obediently, earning a smile from the guests who were expecting more of Soyeon's performance.
 

"Tonight, I will be singing a cover of Lifehouse's You and Me," Jung Kook smiled up at the bride's and groom's table. Somi smiled back at him, approving his choice. "I have here with me Lee Soyeon to accompany me with the music. Please enjoy."

Jung Kook took a seat on the stool at the center stage while Soyeon sat in front of the piano. As he waited for the mike stand to be adjusted to his sitting height, Jung Kook turned to look at Soyeon at the same time as she looked back at him.

And they shared a similar smile.



                                              | 
 

As expected from them. They were beautiful. Everyone was enchanted with the performance. Some had their eyes closed, drowned by the melodies and voice. Some could not let their eyes away from either Jung Kook or Soyeon.

Jung Kook was different that night. His performance was different - better. There's something in the way he sings that makes the heart of his listeners pounds.

Soyeon's too.

She tried to divert her eyes from stealing glances at Jung Kook and focus on playing the piano instead. But it's not possible when Jeon Jung Kook is singing a romantic song while looking at you straight in the eyes!

But Jung Kook was lucky that no one thought anything much about their eye contact. Everyone just assumed that he was trying to synchronize with the piano. 






As soon as the song ended, Soyeon was flushed. What was that? The performance was too intense! Jung Kook nervously took her hand in his as they bowed to the guests. His cheeks was as red as a ripe tomato, his hearts thumping loudly against his chest.

 

He felt like throwing up.



When he thought no one was watching, he pulled Soyeon out the door before the girl could protest and ran out towards the beach, catching Soyeon by surprise. She tried to yank her arms away, asking for some explanation, shouting at him to stop.

But Jung Kook never stopped.

He ran with all his might, his grasp never loosened on Soyeon's delicate wrist as he pulled her along, not sure where to. He could hear her breathing grew heavy as she tried to catch her breath but it was soon drowned by his own heavy breathing.

But the loud rapid heartbeat of his was even louder.

Finally, he stopped in the middle of the deserted beach after minutes of running. Neither of them said anything as they tried to even out their breathing. Soyeon was curious, and she can't wait to feed the curiosity. But her heart is beating loudly against her chest and she felt like she could get a heart attack.

It wasn't because of the running. She had felt this since before. Since they were performing on stage. Since she had locked eyes with Jung Kook on that stage. And it was still beating for him. 

And the way he held on to her as they ran, as though he was possessive of her and not wanting to let her get away - Soyeon could no longer contain the feelings she felt. She felt like it would burst inside of her if she did not say something about it.

She breaks open to speak but stopped when she locked eyes with Jung Kook again that night.

It was dark with only the moonlight lighting up their face but Soyeon swore Jung Kook's eyes were glowing, mirroring her own. And the words she wanted to say vanish. She was tongue-tied. And Soyeon was never in a tongue-tied situation.

Just as her eyes mirrored his, Jung Kook was loss at words too. But his next action said everything he's been wanting to say.

Jung Kook cupped her face gently and leaned in to plant a kiss on her lips.


 

 

And she kissed him back.