Chapter 22

Married to an Idol

 

Chapter 22

 

Weekend, Cancer Centre (or how Soyeon would call it, Nursing Home -sounds less scarier)

 

"Harabeoji, are you okay? Do you want anything to eat? Drink? Can I do anything to heal you?" Lay pestered the old man who was sitting up on his bed with twinkle of amusement glinting his eyes. After countless of times reminding Lay that he was fine, that boy would just not budge. Hey, at least he was concerned for his friend's sick grandpa unlike his other friends.


"You do know, you as a healing unicorn is just a figment of your imagination, right hyung?" Sehun rolled his eyes at the 18-year-old boy who still believes in fairies, leprechauns and unicorns puking rainbows and he finds it hard at times to suppress his urges from slapping Lay back to his nonexistence senses.


"I'm fine, Lay. Healthy as a horse. I could play  a round of soccer just to prove it to you." Mr Lee chuckled lightly. It was nice to have the kids visiting him on their weekend break, but he was more than glad that only half of them turned up. They were already too much a ruckus albeit that they have only been there for a mere 10 minutes.

"Then, what are we waiting for? I can't wait wait to impress that pretty nurse I just saw- OW!" Luhan yelped in pain as he rubbed the back of his head after receiving a hard smack from Kris. The latter just rolled his eyes before before hissing "now's not the time" at him.

"Soyeon, are you sick? You don't look good." Mr Lee called out to his granddaughter, sitting across the room, her eyes unfocused and exhausted. Soyeon snapped from her daze and turned to see seven pair of eyes were on her.

"Let me guess. Since our exam is in next two weeks, " Suho began, a knowing smile on his lips "you didn't sleep last night, huh?"

Bing- oh, wait. Suho was almost right. Soyeon did sleep, but only for a mere 3 hours. "I did." She mumbled groggily. "Just not enough."

Chanyeol leapt from his seat across from her and pinched her protruding cheeks, hard. Soyeon scowled midway at the stinging pain and was about to scold Chanyeol when she realized that she was now fully awake. "Thank you, Yeol." She grinned up at him in appreciation and and the said boy smiled back with a smug.
Jong In twitched on his seat, not liking the skinship Soyeon shared with Chanyeol.

"Do you study until late night again?" Mr Lee's voice was stern and he gave her a disapproving look. But before Soyeon could retort back, he had his hand up in the air, "I know, I know. You want to maintain your perfect score to get that scholarship to Seoul National University, but what did I tell you about not getting enough sleep?"


Soyeon whimpered as she pouts and hid her face in her long delicate fingers and Jong In can't help but to look at her adoringly.


"Now, as a punishment, go get yourself a lemon drink form the vending machine." Mr Lee ordered, not trying to conceal the smile that threatened to escape his frail, chapped lips. Soyeon wait not a second longer before she danced across the floor and out of the room. Out of habit, Jong In followed her out.


 

---


After getting their drinks -not bothering to get some for the others- Jong In dragged Soyeon out the building towards the backyard for some fresh air. And because he really need to ask her something.


They took a seat on one of the bench, facing the cityscape of Seoul and one can't help but to see the contrast between the beauty of urbanization in the background and the beauty that comes from the natural landscape of the Cancer Centre. Jong In pluck a blue tulip from its stem and twirled it in his fingers, playing the questions he wanted to ask in his mind.


"Soyeon, can I ask you something?" He began, locking his eyes on hers.


"You just did." Soyeon chuckled and took a sip from her drink. She was waiting for Jong In to smile sheepishly and jokingly slapped her shoulder, but he didn't. His eyes were serious and meaningful. "Oh wait, you're serious."


"You and... Jung-?" Jong In stuttered, not knowing how to ask her. Soyoen gave him one of her cute questioning look and its hard not squish her cheek right then and there. He took in a sharp intake of breath before looking at her square in the eyes. "Are you in a secret relationship that you're not telling me about?" he finally blurted.

Soyeon froze. If he meant about her being secretly married to their school mate and not to mention a Kpop star, then yes. Could he possibly know? "What secret relationship?" She asked, deciding to play dumb just to see what he knew.


"Well, you never told me you were friends with Jung Kook."


"Oh." Soyeon hoped that it has nothing to do with Jung Kook. But at the mention of his name, her heart raced. Not because she was scared that Jong In might have known about their secret, but because his name filled the empty void in  her heart. She didn't know that she had missed hearing his name.

"What about that? There's so many of friends I made that you didn't know off." She muttered nervously and Jong In did not miss the restlessness written in her eyes.


"Being friendly does not consider as friends," Jong In mockimgly frown at her and took her hand in his. "And I know that you're just not friendly with Jung Kook. You guys are much more than that and you're trying to keep it a secret from me." 


Soyeon rubs soothing circle on his palms before calmly replying. "I'm not keeping it a secret. You were with me when we hung out with him at his dance studio before. Remember? I just come to know him, that's all."


"But all of a sudden he even comes to your house for dinner for no reason and especially with no invitation! You didn't tell me you were that close!" Jong In whines.


"Are you jealous? " Soyeon chuckled but Jong In did not smile back at her as he tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear. "You'll always be my best friend, Jong In."

 

Cue to the sound of Jong In's world crashing. 

 

Jong In dropped his hand, his eyes hard. How many times has she been calling him that? He's tired of just being her best friend. He wants to be more than that for her. Jong In wants to make Soyeon solely his and he was determined to get out of the friend zone. "Soyeon, I-" 


"Hey, isn't that Lee Byunghun?" Soyeon cut him and abruptly stood up from the bench, almost toppling her can of drink. "It is him."

Soyeon could recognized that light shade of pink hair anywhere. A soft fluffy color that makes her squirm and wanting to ruffle it every time she sets her eyes on it. Of course, it is against the school rules for students to dye their hair and although Soyeon had personally told him off once, she still thinks that L.Joe suits the colour.

It contradicts to L.Joe's inferior presence and it brings out the true Lee Byunghun. 

And she was right.


Several meters away from her, just underneath the willow tree, stood a smiling Lee Byunghyun, with the most genuine smile Soyeon had seen. This was the first time Soyeon had seen L.Joe without the scowl and frown painted his face. He was different from the delinquent L.Joe that everyone knows in school.


L. Joe was seen pushing a very beautiful woman on a wheelchair; with long dark hair that accentuates her jawline, her small lips painted in cherry red and a smile that mirrors L.Joe's. From afar, no one could ever have guessed that she was sick.


"Wow," Soyeon finally spoke, slightly choking. She did not realize she was holding her breath until Jong In's warm hand touched her arm. She was too entranced at the beautiful picture portrayed by her school's delinquent.


"I've never seen him like this," Jong In finally said, with his mouth agape. Maybe Soyeon was right after all. He does have a side no one knew about.


"C'mon, lets say hello." Soyeon started walking towards L.Joe and his company. Jong In thought it would not be a good idea to approach L.Joe no matter how nice and approachable he may seem at the moment. He might just shout and kick them to the ground, no one knows. Before Jong In could pull Soyeon back, she was already skipping towards L.Joe.


With his long legs, Jong In took longer strides to catch up with Soyeon. And yes, Jong In was right. L.Joe doesn't want to be approached and it was obvious by the way he was scowling and cussing under his breath. And he looked ready to punch someone in the face.


"Hey, I saw you and I thought I should say hello." Soyeon politely smiled as she bowed at the two. The lady smiled at her while the boy beside her was still with a visible frown on his face.


"Well, you've thought wrong." L.Joe gritted his teeth as he glared at Soyeon and Jong In.

"Now now, don't be mean Byunghun. They were just being polite." The lady smiled apologetically up at the two. from up close Soyeon could see that she was in fact, sick. He dark hair turns out to be a wig that was perfectly made to masked her balding scalp and her eye bags may not be as dark as Soyeon's at the moments -perhaps because she had it covered with thick layer of powder- but it's visible that she looks tired, weary, worn out and most significantly sick.


"I'm Byunghyun's umma." She offered her hand to shake, "you must be friends of Byunghun from school?" she kindly asked, her voice raspy.


Jong In was about to reply with a snarky comment like "no, he's practically enemy with the students council" but Soyeon was ahead off him. "Yes, you can say so."


L.Joe rolled her eyes at her remark. "Hypocrite."He muttered under his breath. He recognized Soyeon as one of the council members and he was perfectly aware that the students council hated him. He desperately wanted to wipe off Soyeon's smile off her face right now because that beautiful smile is telling him otherwise. Coming off her lips, it sounded as though she really meant it that they were friends.


"I'm Lee Soyeon," it was Soyeon's turn to introduce herself  "and this is Kim Jong In. We're in the same year as Byunghun."


"Oh, nice to meet you." The lady giggled. "Why are you here?" She can't help but to ask.


"I'm here visiting my harabeoji with my friends."


"Hurm, I wonder why my Byunghunnie never brings any of his friends here." Mrs Lee elegantly pouts at her son who is now blushing a deep shade of red at the his mother's endearing nickname for him. Jong In involuntarily lets out a snort and if looks could kill, he would be dead by now. Because L.Joe is killing him with his soulful eyes.


"Is your grandfather that new patient, Mr Lee?" L.Joe's mother ask again.


"Oh yes, do you know him?"


"I've heard of him, but never got to know him personally. Shall I go and say hello?" L.joe inwardly groans at his mother's suggestion. Soyeon said that she came with her friends and L.Joe really do not want to meet any of his other schoolmates.

 






 

"She's here!"

"Soyeon!" The guys bellowed as soon as she stepped into the room.

"Wow, I just went for like 10 minutes and you guys already missed me?" Soyeon playfully faked a surprise look. But the looks her friends gave her told her that it was not time for her to be playful. They were dead serious.


Chanyeol crossed his arm and gave her a stern look. "You've got some explaining to do young lady. Explain why- hey! Who's this?!" Chanyeol suddenly broke from his facade as he turned to the two visitors that followed behind Jong In.


"L.Joe?" Suho asked, not believing his eyes. 


"Oh hey. I bumped into Byunghun here and his mother. They just wanted to say hello to harabeoji." Soyeon kindly explained. Mrs Lee smiled politely at the boys before her whom she assumed would be his son's schoolmates. L.Joe however shifted uncomfortably from where he stood. Obvious displeasure spread across his face.


"Hello, I'm Park Chanyeol, nice to meet you." Chanyeol bowed politely at the older woman. "Okay, now where were we?" Abruptly, the stern look was back on his face. "Oh right. Lee Soyeon, care to explain why does your grandfather has a signed album of BTS and not me?"


There, at the corner of the room on the side table, sat BTS's album with pride and glory. Soyeon turned to her grandfather and the old man smiled sheepishly at her in return with the hey-I-can't-help-but-to-be-proud-of-my-grandson-in-law look.


Soyeon was flustered. Really, how can she explain why her grandfather owns a BTS album? Her 60-year-old grandfather is a fan of her generation hip hop music? "He- he's a fan of them." she stated, though it came out more like a question than a statement. Kris clicked his tongue and clearly, no one was buying it. "I- aren't you friends with them, Chanyeol? You can just easily ask them if you want one!"


It was Chanyeol's turn to fluster. "Yeol, you're friends with them? Without me?" Lay asked, his face crestfallen."So that's why you seemed so close with them during the festival!" And the gang was back bickering.


"I guess, I should come back here another time?" L.Joe's mum suddenly spoke in the middle of the chaos. The boys immediately stopped in the middle of their lets-gang-up-on-Chanyeol-moment and apologize profusely to the lady. And was it just Soyeon, but is that sorrow written on L.Joe's face?

 

 



 

 

 

"Harabeoji, you should've hidden that album!" Soyeon whispered once her friends had gone out of the room, ready to go home. Soyeon was the last to stay behind to kiss her grandfather goodbye. "What if they find out?"

"They didn't. And besides, don't blame me for being proud of your husband." The old man chuckled lightly and Soyeon blushed at his remark. Her grandfather practically worships Jung Kook and she's glad for that. "You know, he came by yesterday. He was with me through my therapy session."

"He did?" Soyeon was gobsmacked at the revelation; shivers ran down through her spine. Soyeon remembered how tired he looked, and she acknowledged the effort he made to spend some time with her grandfather. She felt the butterflies again. "Jung Kook.." she inaudibly whispered under her breath.

"And he asked about you a lot." Her grandfather smiled warmly as he played with the ends of Soyeon's braid. He really wants to get to know you better, he thought, but not saying the words out loud. He was just more than glad that he got to witness heaven's beautiful phenomenon; two people falling in love with each other before he took his last breath. 

And he wish for nothing better out her granddaughter and his late best friend's grandson union through their marriage.

 

 

---

 

That night, Bangtan Boys had called their practice off early. They were fatigue beyond belief. Jung Kook had just got out shower and is now sprawled on his mattress in the room he shared with six of his other members. Rap Monster and Suga wasn't back yet. V, Jimin and J-Hope had drifted off into dreamland without bothering to shower first, while the eldest Jin, just hopped into the shower after Jung Kook.


The night was cold and it was raining hard. Thunders were flashing and Jung Kook can't help but to wonder how Soyeon was going to sleep through it. Just then, he received a text message and unconsciously, a smile slipped on his face when he saw who it was from.
 

 

From: Sweet Angel Soyeon <3
Thank you :)

 

Jung Kook scratch his brow in confusion but his fingers soon flew on his keypad to reply back a welcome. What did she thank him for? But his mind was soon distracted by the display id. He haven't come round to change it. Why hasn't he?

Just then, he received another text message.


From: Sweet Angel Soyeon <3
I mean, thanks for yesterday. Thanks for visiting harabeoji. Thanks for still caring.



Of course he would still care. She's a family now. Does she still think badly of him? Yes, he may be cold to her once or twice but they were in a good relationship. Doesn't she feel the same towards him? Is he still a cocky idol to her? With this thought, Jung Kook was left disturbed.

And then, another text came.


From: Sweet Angel Soyeon <3
Don't tell anyone this, but I'm actually sleeping beside my parent's bed because I'm too scared of the thunders. OTL


Again, that rare smile was back on his face unconsciously. He was too caught up and distracted at the idea of how the charismatic Lee Soyeon can be remarkably cute that he did not realize that his hyung had slipped into the room. If Jin didn't know any better, he would thought the maknae had finally lose his marbles because on Jung Kook's handsome face, was the goofiest smile he had ever seen.


From: Kookie Dough (Soyeon's new nick name for him xD)
Why did you tell me that? Are saying, you're so willing to trust me that I won't tell others about that?


 

From: Sweet Angel Soyeon <3
Consider that as a thank you gift. And besides, I know you won't rat on me. You're just super duper nice like that, aren't you Kookie?


 

From: Kookie Dough
You call that a gift? Why don't you pack me a lunchbox for school this Monday? Now that's a gift.
 And you did not just call me Kookie?! Aww, you're turning into one of my adorable fans.


 

From: Sweet Angel Soyeon <3
Why would I make you a lunchbox? What am I? Your wife?!
And I'm not your fan! I'm Suga oppa's fan!


 

Jung Kook frowned at the last sentence. She actually is a fan of Suga? I thought she was joking.

 

From: Kookie Dough
You actually are my wife, Lee Soyeon.
And don't lie. I've seen you google me before, you little liar.


 

From: Sweet Angel Soyeon <3
Shut up and go to sleep >:(


 


Jung Kook could no longer contain the butterflies in his stomach. A girlish giggle slipped out of his lips and he could no longer hide his content. He grasp tightly onto the phone and lay on his back and gazed at the ceiling, the smile still plastered on his face. Jin who was observing the maknae from his bunk bed opposite of him smirked amusingly.

He did not have to guess who the maknae was texting. "You like her, don't you?" he asked. Jung Kook snapped out of his thoughts and slightly jolted from his position when his eyes landed on Jin who was creepily grinning down at him.

"Sure, I like her. I like you too, hyung." Jung Kook replied, not looking diretly at Jin's eyes. He place the phone under his pillow and snuggled under the duvet, ready to get some sleep.


"I don't think so maknae. I think you're falling for her."

Jin couldn't be anymore wrong. Maybe he's not falling for her. What if he has already fallen for her?

 


 



Author's Note;

Sorry I was late and I know its short. I'm working on the next chapter and I'll try to post it soon. 


(Forgive me?)

 


Oh, and please don't hate on Jong In. He's just spicing up the story. LOL.
Again, thank you for subscribing and commenting. Remember to upvote guys!

 




 


(Honestly, I've never seen anyone so happy to go to school. I repeat, SCHOOL)

 


Jung Kook Vs. Suga
​Vote on who do you think will win Soyeon's heart. (Of course, everyone already knows the answer)