Chapter 1

Married to an Idol

Chapter 1 

 

"Soyeon-ah? Where are you? Have you left school?" Soyeon's mother was on the other line.

"Yes. I'm on my way to eat ddeobokki with my friends. Why? Is something up?"

Soyeon heard her mother hesitating before finally answering. "I'm sorry, but I forgot to tell you we're going somewhere today. Just hurry home. I'll explain later." The line was disconnected.

 

"Was that your umma?" Haerin asked while linking arms with Soyeon. "Do you have to be somewhere?" Hyeseong asked, trailing behind Soyeon with Baekhyun on tow.

"Yes." Soyeon replied with a sigh. "I'm sorry I can't go to that ddeobokki stall with you guys." Soyeon pouted as she hugs Haerin's arm, pulling her along.



As they reached a junction, Soyeon bid farewell to her friends and continued her journey home. After 5 minutes of walking, she spotted her mother's small figure in front of their house, frantically looking about. Soyeon quickened her pace and stopped by her mother's side. "Is there a problem umma? Where are we going? "


"We're going to meet a friend of mine." Mrs Lee answered and Soyeon sighed in relief. She had thought that probably one of her family member had met a fatal accident and she silently thanked God that wasn't it.

"Ahh, you got me worried for no reason." Soyeon chuckled at her mother. "But why do I have to tag along? I don't mind staying alone at home."


Mrs Lee didn't laugh along with her daughter. "You'll know why. Let's go. We might run late." Soyeon had a feeling that her mother seemed to be hiding something from her. But before Soyeon could ask her mother anything, Mrs Lee quickly grabbed Soyeon by her arm and walked to the nearest bus stop.

 


---

 

Tully's? Soyeon read the sign outside a coffeeshop. 

The bells by the front door chimed as Soyeon pushed the door open. Beethoven's Sonata no.8, pathetique was playing on the background. Soyeon smiled a she inhaled in the scent of coffee. While she was busy looking through the menu, her mother had pulled her towards a table at the back of the cafe. Someone was already waiting by the table.


"Appa, you're here?" Soyeon asked as she saw her father sitting in a comfy chair, wearing his business suit. Soyeon's father stood and kissed his daughter, trying hard not to look into her eyes. Soyeon saw that. "Umma, Appa, is there something you're not telling me?" Mr and Mrs Lee nervously looked into each other's eyes.


"Princess, I know you may not like this, and I hate myself for doing this, but would you please listen to me?" Soyeon bit her lips and nervously nodded.

Mr Lee waited for a few minutes, rephrasing the words in his mind before finally speaking. "As you knew, harabeoji was a war veteran." He paused. "Back in his days, he made a friend. A dear friend that stood by him through thick and thin. A friend he cherished. A friend who risked his life for him."


Soyeon gasped. She knew everything about her grandfather's war stories. But never knew this fact.


"Harabeoji is indebted to this friend.  Recently, he told me that he loved you too much to grant a promise he made with his best friend. A promise he made before I was born." Mr Lee inhaled deeply before continuing. "They had promised each other that their children will marry one another so that they will always be together till the the ends of time."

"But harabeoji's friend coincidentally had a son too."


Soyeon knew where this was going. She swallowed hard and saw her mother coming to their table with three cups of coffee. She didn't realize that her mother had gotten up to order their drinks.



"However," her dad continued "he has a grandson and harabeoji has you. So..." before her dad could continue, Soyeon cut him off.  

"So, you're saying I'm to be married with his grandson instead?" Soyeon retorted. "Why now? When I'm still in school!" Soyeon was near to tears.

"I'm sorry, but harabeoji doesn't have much time left. He wants to rest in peace and not carry this burden to his grave. "


Soyeon's eyes was gleaning with tears. She felt her heart being ripped apart. By her parents, her grandfather and that damn promise. Just as she was about to get up from her chair, three figure approached their table. Soyeon recognized the face of the taller one. Him? She whispered to herself.









Jeon Jung Kook.




 

Soyeon's high school kingka and one of Seoul's many rising idol bowed to her parents before grabbing a seat beside his father. He faced Soyeon, and they both shared the same sullen expression.



Jeon jung Kook? Why him? Soyeon asked herself.