Chapter 7

Loosen Up

~Hyukjae~

Introducing everyone almost took up the entire period. We played name games and basically got to know each other. I enjoyed most of it, but when it ended, a part of me wished for the period to have lasted longer. I then had a sudden epiphany that all these years, I had been missing out on experiences that I could’ve lived throughout my childhood, but I was too ignorant during those times and turned down all the chances I had if they had nothing to do with dancing. In the end, my classes hadn’t been the ordeal I thought it would’ve been and I managed to finish my first day at a new school with a good ending, so far.

When the school bell rang, students flooded the gates of SM and I was being pushed with the flow of the crowd. I was just barely able to stumble out of the sea of humans. I made it to a safe place to wait for my ride and I stood there for a couple of seconds before I heard a loud honk. Turning around to see where it came from, I ended up finding Heechul’s car, parallel parked to a curb. He rolled down the passenger seat window and yelled “Get in!”

Without hesitation, I jumped in and set my backpack down.

“How was school?” Heechul asked as he started the engine.

“It’s was okay.” I replied bluntly.

“That’s it?”

“And fun.”

Heechul pressed his lips together. “Did you make any new friends?”

“More like acquaintances, but yes.”

A smirk appeared on Heechul’s face. “I was right wasn’t I?”

“What?” I said turning my head, looking over towards him.

“The school. You like it don’t you?”

I sighed and rolled my eyes. “Yes, Hyung, I like it. I’m fascinated. My mind can’t stop thinking about it. I get goose-bumps when I hear the name SM Academy.” I exaggerated.

“That’s good to hear.” Heechul commented, checking his hair in the rearview mirror while waiting for the red light to go green. Once the light turned green, Heechul stepped hard on the petal making the car jerk and my head crashed with the seat. My mouth hung open to say something but nothing came out and I just looked at Heechul. By the time I had let it go, he made a sharp turn to the left and I slammed against the car door.

“Hyukjae, stop damaging my car.” Heechul said, serious.

“I am soooo sorry.” I sarcastically apologized, rubbing my elbow.

Another sharp left turn was made. I slammed into the door again. “Oof!”

“And that’s why we wear seat belts.”

“Wha–?”

Eerk! Heechul made another sharp left turn. I once again got abused by the door. “Ow!”

“What’s wrong with that driver? He thinks he can cut in front of me and not even turn his blinkers on?”

“I-”

Heechul hit the brakes and I flew forward, putting my hands out to keep myself from smacking my face on the windshield.

BASTARD!

I let out a sigh and quickly strapped on a seatbelt before any casualties were going to take place. Sometimes I forgot how reckless of a driver Heechul was and how prone he was to road raging when drivers decided to cut him off. He honked the car a few times to prove his point that no one should mess with the black mustang and its psychopathic driver.

“M-Maybe I should drive.” I offered.

“Please, shut up so I can concentrate.”

And for the rest of the drive I prayed for my life not to end by the hands of my uncle.


Heechul parked his car in the parking lot of my dad’s company. I started to feel a bit suspicious.

“Why’d you bring me here? Do you need to attend a meeting or something?”

“No, actually, I brought you here because you’re going to be the one attending meetings.”

“Why?” I whined.

“Your father says he wants you to get use to the working environment and start taking up different responsibilities within the company. As the heir of Sapphire Entertainment, you must to be prepared to take the company into your hands whenever an emergency emerges or when your father retires.”

Pouting, I slouched in my seat. “Do I really have to?”

Heechul sighed. “We’ve already discussed this, Hyukjae.”

“I know, but… ”

“I know you want to be a dancer, I know you have dreams of your own, but you are his only child. Your father is very proud of you and he loves you dearly, your mother too. As much as I want you to be happy, you know yourself that you can’t just refuse this path that’s already been chosen for you.”

Those words struck me hard every time. To know that my life had already been chosen for me – just like that – makes me feel pathetic. Fighting back is futile since it only leads to a lecture of my responsibilities as an heir, but with such high titles, why did it make me feel so weak?

I felt my mood worsening. “I get it.” I said, giving in like always. “I’ll work.”

Heechul threw me a sympathetic look, but I coldly ignored it. Opening the car door and shutting it with at least some manners, I marched my way into the main building. Heechul followed behind and I waited at the elevator for him to catch up.

He handed me my schedule for the day and my eyes instantly shot to when my work would end. 11:30pm. I glanced at my wristwatch. 4:15pm. The first meeting didn’t start until 5 o’clock, so I had spare time to enjoy my leisure while I still could.

“I trust that you’ll be on time to the first meeting, right?” Heechul didn’t wait for an answer. “Good. I have some issues I must take care of, so I’ll see you then.” Heechul waved goodbye and took the elevator. I chose to go outside to walk around, but unexpectedly, I ended up seeing my parents

“Appa! Omma!” I called.

“Hyukjae! Our baby!” My mom screams as she somehow manages to run towards me in her deadly six inch platform high heels. With her heels on, she almost stood as tall as me, but when she took them off she was about a little over my shoulder.

“How was my beautiful baby’s first day at school?” She said as she pinched my cheeks.

“It was fine.” I said with a wide smile. She played with my cheeks a bit more until my father told her that not to damage my face with her fierce pinching and squeezing.

“I’m glad you had a nice day, Son. Why don’t you give your Appa a hug?” He opened his arms wide and pulled me in for another one of his suffocating hugs. My mom joined in and it was like being a kid all over again. Those years when my skin was as soft as a baby’s and my cheeks were as round as peaches were the most affectionate. Nothing really changed actually, my skin is still gorgeous and my cheeks are as cute as ever. I just got taller and handsomer. I know. I’m like a perfect specimen, right? You have the right to be jealous.

“We’re so happy you came today!” My mom uttered in joy. “We’re all going to work hard today, aren’t we sweetie?”

“That’s right, Honey!” My dad joins. “You’re 17, Hyukjae. Adulthood is just a few months away! Soon you’ll be working full-time here like Appa. No need for college, I’ll teach you everything you need to know about being a business man and how to take care of the company!”

I stayed in between my parents’ embrace, silent and warm. My smile stayed raised as high as the sun, but my heart sank as low as the titanic.

 

Hyukjae and Heechul and their sadistic behaviors, haha. The parents have finally appeared and yup, affectionate as ever. Again, things and feelings start to unravel and with that - Thank you~ By that way, I know chapters aren't being posted very often with either one of my stories (Loosen up and Sweet & Sour), but I can't stop constantly procrasinating like an idiot. Sleep loss, time waste, lots of bad habits in general, but I'll try my best to correct them! :D