Chapter 24.1

Loosen Up

~Jongkey~

Key and Jonghyun were walking in silence as they made their way to the nurse’s office. Their footsteps resonated in the nearly empty hallways as students were hurrying off to class. Key caught a whiff of Jonghyun’s soft scented cologne. He grinned, discreetly taking in more of the intoxicating smell as he breathed. For someone he barely knew, let alone practically just met, they were standing pretty close to each other – Almost too intimate for strangers, but Key had no complaints.

Too busy with his smelling , Key accidently tripped over his own two feet like an idiot and stumbled forward. Luckily, Jonghyun was there to save him.

“Easy there.” Jonghyun cautioned as he aided Key in catching his balance. The younger teenager blushed, embarrassed from making himself look like a fool yet again. Jonghyun noticed Key’s tinted red face and decided to strike up a conversation to ease the atmosphere.

“Soooo, how’d you injure your arm?” He asked.

Key snapped back to reality. “Oh, I wasssss… Messing around.”

“What were you doing that got you this bloody?”

“I…” Random ideas were popping into Key’s head, but he didn’t know which would be the best answer to say. Something realistic… “I ran into someone. There was this girl in front of me and I wasn’t paying attention, neither was she. We crashed and she had something sharp on her and it somehow cut my arm.”

“At least you didn’t get seriously hurt. It doesn’t look too bad.”

“Y-yeah.” Key agreed. He felt somewhat guilty for lying to him, but if he could get something out if this little sin then maybe it would be worth it.

They made a turn to the front office. The desk lady was busy on the phone discussing something that looked important. Or maybe all phone calls just looked important to Key. The lady put the phone down, covering the mouth piece, and asked, “How may I help you two young gentlemen?”

Jonghyun spoke. “We’re here to see the nurse. My friend injured himself and I need a spare white shirt.”

She stood up and examined Key’s bloody arm and Jonghyun’s soiled white button up shirt.

"Isn't that fake blood?" She eyed carefully.

"N-No, it's my blood." Key stuttered.

The woman didn't remove her eyes from his arm and blood, but she decided to let them pass anyway since they were both a covered in it. “Head down that short hallway and make a right turn. The nurse will be in there.”

The pair thanked the woman and walked past the front desk, following the directions given. When they entered the room, the nurse was already occupied with another student. He glanced over at them. “Please take a seat,” He said. “I’ll get to you guys shortly.” Key sat on a bed while Jonghyun stood with his hands down his pants pockets. Not long, the male nurse walked over.

“What seems to be the problem?”

Key showed the nurse his arm, hoping he would figure it out. The nurse gave a dubious look but let it pass by.

“Would you like me to clean that for you or can you do it yourself?”

“I can do it myself.” Key chose.

“Very well then,” Key was handed some disinfectant and bandage wraps. “Take your time. If the bell rings, I’ll write you two a note.”

The nurse returned to the aid of the other student.

“Umm, can you look away? It kinda makes me feel uncomfortable if someone’s watching.” Key lied again. If he were to wash off all the blood it would reveal his arm that was never cut in the first place. The latter didn’t question and turned around to give him some privacy. Key quickly washed off his arm and wrapped it as fast as he could without making too much sound. “You can turn around now.”

Jonghyun looked his shoulder to make sure it was alright before he did a full turn. The school bell rang, signaling everyone that school had begun. The two teens ignored it, taking advantage of their time.

“I’m sorry about your shirt. I didn’t mean to get blood on it.” For some odd reason, he felt guiltier about the shirt than his lies.

“Don’t sweat it. It happens pretty often actually.”

“It does?” Key tilted his head up, horrified.

Jonghyun knelt down to pull a bin from under a table. He popped the lid off, rummaging through for a white button up his size, “Yeah. When you’re around someone like Amber, you gotta be ready to do whatever crazy thing that pops in her mind – Art-wise that is.”

Key’s heart felt a little disappointed upon hearing the name Amber. He hated the fact that he was jealous of their relationship, even though he had no right to really dislike the teen other than her being so close his crush. What was their relationship anyway? There must’ve been some sort of special connection between them, but whatever it was, it made Key envious.

Jonghyun noticed the long silence and glanced over to his schoolmate, “Something wrong?”

“Is Amber your girlfriend?” Key asked without hesitation.

Jonghyun suddenly choked on his saliva. Then he started coughing like a mad man, but it quickly formed into a laugh as if he had just heard the funniest joke someone has ever told him, “My girlfriend?! Not even! Dude, she’s my sister!” He was cracking up, gasping for breath. It took a moment for him to regain his full composure. “Man, you get even crazier ideas than Amber. What made you think she’d be my girlfriend?”

Key blushed from making a foolish assumption. “I–I don’t know. You guys seem to be very close.”

“Well, not all siblings fight and argue all the time, right?” Jonghyun grinned, still amused.

“I–I guess not…”

Key clenched his fist on the bed sheets. His face was still red, but he was relieved to hear that they weren’t dating. And knowing that they were brother and sister was even more reassuring.

“Ah, here it is. Medium,” Jonghyun pulled out a shirt from the bin and held it up. “Hold this, will you?” He handed it to the latter. Without warning, he began ing the buttons, one by one. This startled innocent Key.

“D-Do you want me to look away?” He panicked, not knowing where to aim his eyes.

“S'fine. We're both guys here.” Jonghyun stated boldly.

Key was shocked, but not as shocked as when the latter stripped off his shirt entirely and tossed it on the bed. He never expected such a well maintained figure under that loose article of clothing. His jaw unnoticeably dropped, but he was quick to close it. Jonghyun had noticed it all. Instead of saying something about it, he just held out his hand for the spare shirt.

For a second, Key forgot he was even holding it. He was too fixated on the magnificently sculpted body.

“You know, if you space out like that all the time, it won’t be long until you ending up in another messy accident again.”

The infatuated boy snapped out of his trance and hurriedly gave him his shirt. Jonghyun swiftly put his arms through the sleeves and adjusted the wrist size, conspicuously taking an excessive amount of time on each wrist.

Key didn’t want to just end his heavenly time with his crush so quickly, so with enough courage that he built up in that short length of time, he randomly said, “I heard you’re one of the best singers in the school. That’s really impressive.”

He could tell that he was flattered by the compliment. “Thanks. There isn’t anywhere hard work can’t get you, so I try my best. I wanna be a famous singer one day, it ain’t gonna be easy, but that’s why I’m at this school.” He answered.

“Same here, I love singing. I guess that makes you one of my competitions.” Key smirked.

“Is that so?” Jonghyun smiled.


“Say?...You mind if I hear you sing?” Key requested. The topic had aroused a sudden anticipation to hear the angelic voice he’s been hearing people tell him about. Whenever he asked his classmates about singing related subjects, Jonghyun’s name would always end up being brought up once or twice in the conversation. He’s created quite a popular image in the school through his talents, so it seems. Key wanted to confirm it for himself. He could learn a thing or two from this so called prodigy.

“I would let you hear my voice, but I’m afraid that time is a bit tight.”

“Oh…” Key frowned, looking at the clock.

“But,” Jonghyun added, “If you find me afterschool, I will be more than happy to sing for you.”

Key’s face brightened up. “I’ll definitely look for you.”

Jonghyun chuckled. “I’ll be waiting by the school garden.”

 

Yup! Jongkey will be having their own side story of love ;) Thank you~