Chapter 5

Loosen Up

~Donghae~

I was expecting to hear Hyukjae be off note or for his voice to crack like he was going through puberty, but his voice was higher than I expected and different from the ones that I’ve heard. It wasn’t magical or anything, just… Unique?

Anyway, when I picked up my schedule I was ecstatic to see that I had drama class. It was a great way to begin the year, but I was also hoping to have dancing, too, but singing was okay. I liked singing, but I preferred dancing more. I always liked moving around and jumping, it was nearly impossible for me to sit still for 10 minutes straight. I had to have at least one part of my body fidgeting to keep myself relaxed or else I would get this anxious feeling in my stomach.

Time few by quicker than I had expected and lunchtime was dead approaching. I was staring down the clock and watched every ticking moment until the teacher finally dismissed us for what this school liked to call ‘rush hour’. Other than the hunger for talent, there was also the hunger for food. Dancers were especially the hungriest. They fought to be in the front of the line to recharge for an entire 45 minute dance session with Mr. Moon and Ms. Kang. There was nothing worse than dancing with an empty stomach, then again, it was bad to dance right after eating, too, so they had to eat quickly and start digesting as soon as possible before they had to start dancing.

I grabbed a lunch tray and felt someone rest their chin on my shoulder. I turned around expecting to see Jessica, but it wasn’t. It was Kibum.

“Boo.” He said.

“Kyaaa!” I screamed. I dramatically tossed my head back and pretended to faint. Kibum caught me and my hair and supported my head up with his hand, leaning close into my face.

“Don’t worry. I got you, my love.” He said in a hoarse voice.

“Oh Kibum, you’re my hero.” I muttered faintly.

Kibum pulled me back to an upright position and we laughed at our silly scene.

“I have art and drama how about you?” He asked.

“Singing and drama.”

“Hyukjae has singing and drama, too.”

“Is that so? When do you have drama?”

“Last period.”

“I guess we’ll be seeing each other than. How good do you think Hyukjae is at acting?”

“I don’t know, but I have a feeling he can do a mean monkey impersonation.”

“A monkey, huh?” I smirked. I could totally imagine that guy on the monkey bars screaming rambunctious mating calls. It would be entertaining to watch, for humans and monkeys.

“It’s just a feeling.” Kibum said, nudging me to move forward in the line. “Speaking of that Monkey, I think that’s him over there.”

Kibum pointed over at a table and I saw Hyukjae at a table full of – Girls! Jessica was even there, sitting with him and chatting happily. They were too close for my comfort and all the girls seem to be having a fun time talking to him. Hyukjae was literally the only guy at that table and he was just sipping on a milk carton like being surrounded by females was the most normal thing in the world. It didn’t look like he was checking them out, which was somewhat a relief until he got up to show a few of his pop and lock moves and the girls applauded, some blushing from the hip s.

What’s so interesting about him? I said in my head, sounding a bit bratty. I took a deep breath and calmed myself. Kibum and I got our lunches and headed toward the table. All the girls were practically drooling over Hyukjae, but I’d be lying if I said he wasn’t good looking. I squeezed my way in between Jessica and Hyukjae and shot a glare to warn him not to get too close. Kibum sat at any free space he could find.

“So Hyukjae,” Jessica asked, not minding my possessiveness. “Did you dance for your audition?”

“What audition?” He frowned.

For a moment, there was dead silence. Confused glances were being exchanged towards one another. What does he mean ‘what audition’? Is he stupid?

“Your audition to get in this school of course.” Jessica further explained.

“You’re supposed to audition?”

The stares transformed from confused to crazy.

“Are you serious? Of course you’re supposed to audition.” I blurted. “This school doesn’t just let any random student enroll. SM Academy only accepts the best of the best talents. There’s no other way they would let you in – unless you bribed the principal, since that old fart’s a er for cash and sponsors, but other than that, not a chance.”

“I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t bribe him.” Hyukjae mumbling to himself.

“Who wouldn’t do what?” Jessica jumped in, curious.

“N-Nothing…” Hyukjae said, trying to save himself. But suspicion was already dancing across the table. Did Hyukjae’s parents actually bribe the school for him to get in? Was he really just a desperate, talentless teen who would use money as an advantage to succeed in the entertainment industry? If he was, it made me sick to think about it. People who rode off the flow of lifeless paper instead of determination and hard work disgusted me. Before I could judge Hyukjae any further, I stopped myself from going too far. I realized that Hyukjae was still a complete stranger to me, so it wasn’t right to make quick judgment. However, it was tempting.

“Moving on.” I said, changing the topic since the current one was getting a bit awkward. “So tell us about yourself, Hyukjae. Do you have any siblings? Have you ever been on TV? Any ads? Movies? ”

Hyukjae finished taking a sip of milk before he answered. “I’m an only child, so it’s just me, myself, and I. And I’ve been on TV only once or twice before. No movies, but some ads.”

Hearing that Hyukjae had already made his TV debut stirred some attention and excitement at the table. “You have?” A girl with a short, black bob uttered. “For what? And when?” The people at the table were literally scooting closer to Hyukjae to hear his replies and I knew exactly why – to see for possible connections. Hyukjae, who was smiling, ate his food calmly, acting like he oblivious towards the attention he was receiving. “I’ve been in a commercial for Sapphire Entertainment and another one for just clothing and fashion. I’ve also been featured in Seoul weekly a few times. The opportunities come and go, it really not that big a deal.”

He boasted saying it wasn’t a big deal when in fact it was, especially when he’s going to a fine arts and talents school where there were about four-hundred ambitious students waiting for their chance to debut and become famous. I hadn’t been on TV either, so it was a big deal to me, Kibum, too. Even the most brilliant students here are yet to be discovered.

“Seriously?! Seoul magazine! How?! They only write about the biggest celebrities!” Jessica eagerly asked.

“Well, you see-”

“Oh!” The girl with the black bob cried out. “You’re that Lee Hyukjae! I can’t believe I didn’t notice!”

“What? What about Lee Hyukjae?” I asked, startled from her abrupt behavior.

“Are you kidding me? It’s Lee Hyukjae! Son of the founder of Sapphire Entertainment! One of the biggest and well-known entertainment companies in South Korea! – I heard that you were an amazing dancer from some of the trainees at your Appa’s company! You’re practically already famous!”

“No way, is that true, Hyukjae?” Jessica inquired, taking a bite out of her sandwich. A few nearby tables overheard and shifted their attention to look at the blonde boy who sat right next to me. Their glances and stares made me feel uncomfortable, but the Monkey didn’t look like he cared, but rather like he was enjoying it.

“Y-Yeah, I was about to tell you guys that.” Hyukjae said scratching the nape of his neck with a goofy smile plastered on his face. Students whispered and some even came to ask him questions. They asked him what celebrities he had met and if he was friends with any of them. People were trying to get close to him once they’ve heard he was somewhat famous and it was annoying. I rolled my eyes as the lunchroom was starting to cause a commotion.

It all made sense now. Hyukjae wasn’t just any random person after all. He was the son of a big business owner. Any school would be foolish enough to turn him away. And he even had money. Not just money, but talent – amazing talent – that I’ve yet to see for myself. He’s got connections, wealth, and he’s already known to the public eye. He’s got a clear path already set for him and all he needs to do it walk. It was that easy for him and yet, I, on the other hand still have to get pass the thorn bushes and wet quick sand. I suddenly felt my confidence drop and my old insecurities beginning to eat at me. That’s one more likely person who would become a star and there are only so many spots to make it in the industry. I had none of what he had, except for envy.

 

Feelings and thoughts are beginning to unravel! Envy, insecurities, and possessiveness, and that's only Donghae. ;) I don't know why, but I find it really fun to be writing about a school that focuses on talents and fine arts. So I'm enjoying myself immensely and I hope you guys are too. Thank you~