Chapter 38

Loosen Up

~Hyukjae~

“Are you ready?” Donghae said.

“Are you?” I asked him back. With each second that passed it added to the suspense. I’ll finally get to see what my handsome boyfriend looked like. Though we haven’t been dating for long, we’ve both been anticipating for this moment to happen.

“Yeah, I’m ready. Although, this is kinda embarrassing…” He said uneasy. “On the count of three… We show each other. Got it?”

He began to count and I felt my body heat increase. It was killing me. It was just the two of us, alone. I felt as if I couldn’t breathe or at least it was difficult to.

“2–”

“Wait!” I stopped him. “I’m not ready.”

Donghae groaned. “What do you mean you’re not ready? I want to see it. C’mon Hyukjae, we’ve waited so long for this. When are you going to let me see it?”

“Shut up,” I told him. “Just wait a little more. I can’t let you see me just yet.”

I imagined his face pouting since I couldn’t see him. Those puppy dog eyes I couldn’t refuse. His lips I couldn’t resist. And his white, smooth neck that I wanted to , all the way up to his ear. As soon as he shows me everything from behind that curtain, who knows what might happen. I am a Beast after all.

“Okay Baby, I’m ready.”

“Finally.” He smiled, pulling the curtain back, as did I.

My eyes feasted upon his golden long tailed suit and black, wavy hair that was elegantly tied back with a blue ribbon. We had discussed before about possibly dying it a light brown to fit the role, but at the moment his answer was yet to come. His bangs hung loosely over his left eye. For a second he looked almost innocent. He looked perfect.

“Now that’s what I’m talking about.” I smiled, eyes still taking in the alluring sight of my boyfriend.  I picked up the tail of his coat and revealed his nice round that was hidden under. “Oh my god…” I stared. It fit him so well. The art club girl was sure skilled. His pants cupped his cheeks like two melons. He playfully pushed me back.

“Stop staring at it, my face is up here.”

“Sorry, you look amazing.” I returned to my original composure.

“I could say the same to you. You look like a real prince.” He took a step closer to adjust a little bit of my collar and looked into my eyes when he finished. I was wearing a royal blue coat that also had a long tail with gold trims and vest. My pants were a shade darker. These were the costumes we were going to wear as we ballroom danced during the musical. It was going to be romantic and enchanting. Or at least that’s what it’s supposed to feel like.

Your prince.” I said, reaching my hands over for his waist. He rested one hand on my shoulder while the other ran through my hair. He gave me a temping look and kissed both sides of my cheek and lastly my lips.

“More like my erted, gay boyfriend.” He chuckled.

“That makes the two of us then.” I joined into the laugh.

Suddenly, the door to the fitting room swung open and Ms. Kang came through along with the art club girl. They only caught a glimpse of what we were doing before Donghae panicked and pushed me away in a heartbeat. He pushed hard enough to knock some air out of me. I looked at him, surprised, and he closed his hands into stiff fists, but his acting took over and went into acting mode. He relaxed his hands and adverted his eyes like he was still checking out my costume. I, who was still learning how to act, could not change my composure as fast as he did. My hands were still held up in the air as if he was still in them and my mouth was wide open.

“What are you two doing?” Ms. Kang eyed us suspiciously.

 “Nothing, I was just showing Hyukjae a little of what I know about ballroom dancing.” His voice did not waver. If I had supernatural hearing, I’d bet his heart was slow and steady too. I put my arms down because I was starting to feel stupid for being the one to freeze up.

Ms. Kang pinched the skin in between her eyebrows. “You guys can practice the dance properly on stage. Now hurry up and get changed before you ruin your costumes. Mr. Moon and I’ll be waiting for you on the stage. Don’t forget that the auditorium is strictly closed at 6pm and the big night is only a month away.”

“Yes Ma’am.” Donghae and I both answered. She walked off and the art club girl approached us with stars in her eyes.

“You guys look fantastic!” She threw her arms up and forced us into a group hug. “I spent two hours after school every day and pulled two all-nighters to finish these for you guys! But I never expected them to fit so perfectly!”

“It’s all because of your amazing talent for making clothes.” Donghae said as he ruffled her hair. She blushed, but from the compliment.

Despite how hot these costumes were, I couldn’t agree more that the details were on point and the size fit like a glove. “Thank you for all your hard work.” I said, patting her back. She looked at both Donghae and I, flustered. She bowed.

“I-It’s an honor! Just doing what I can to help.” And she scurried away toward the exit, red faced.

I sighed with relief.

Donghae’s head shot up. I could tell he was worrying if his abrupt action had upset me. He was still getting used to our relationship and displaying it in front of others, so I guess it was expected for this kind of reaction to happen.

“Sorry, I was just – I didn’t…”

“It's fine, it’s fine. I know what you’re gonna say and it’s okay. We don’t have to reveal everything to others. It could just be between some of us like Hyoyeon and Siwon. It doesn’t bother me if you don’t want other people to find out.”

“No it’s not fine, seriously. I’m sorry. I was just caught off guard. I love you, I really do.”

I reached for him, pulled him in close, and gave him a tender, sweet kiss on the lips. His skin flushed into a rosy pink and eyes softened. He was relaxing in my arms. “I know.”

A smile broke out from his face as we separated. “We should get changed before any of them come back to check on us. I’m starting to sweat in here.” Tugging at his collar, he turned and started towards the curtains where we changed and I excused the temptation of following into the same one to strip him. Instead, I allowed myself to a bit. With a smirk, I swung my hand and made sure to aim for the left cheek before I smacked it with a good force, enough to make him jump with surprise. I even d some of it as it hit. He turned and gave me the most bewildered look ever. I winked at him, “Right behind you.”

Donghae turned back around and started to do something. With his back facing me, I couldn’t make out what it was until I realized his coat slipped off, followed by his shirt and then bare skin. I watched as his back flexed and he turned around.

“Aren’t you going to take that off?” He spoke, almost as if it were a whisper. I gulped. “Or do you need help?”

I smiled and took the offer.


Companies like my dad’s usually train their trainees modern dances like hip-hop and choreographies to pop songs, but I’ve never seen a company teach ballroom dancing before. So to cut it short, I had no experience with ballroom let alone Donghae. He was dressed in basketball shorts and a t-shirt and I was stylishly dressed how I usually do when I danced hip-hop.

Mr. Moon and Ms. Kang stood as a pair beside us and explained our roles and Beau and Beast. Since Beast was still learning how to civilize himself with manners and grace, Beau was going to be the one guiding until Beast learned how to do it himself. We learned the basics first of just moving in a box like motion, keeping our postures up and then we began to move in circles around the dance floor.

Mr. Moon was counting to keep us on beat. Ms. Kang scrutinized our each step to make sure we were perfect.

“Donghae, you’re guiding too much, let Hyukjae take the lead now.”

He apologized and I noticed he was slipping out of the rhythm. Mr. Moon had stopped counting which meant we were now in charge of keep ourselves on beat. Since I was leading, I couldn’t let Donghae fall out of it. “Look at me.” I whispered. His gaze shifted from our feet to my face. His concentration broke making him accidentally take a step back too early. We came to an immediate stop and tried again. We repeated the cycle of him introducing the step to me, moving me along with his body. We then switched once I got the hang of the steps, but that was as far as we got. Once I led, Donghae fell out of rhythm again. I tried to reassure him, but Ms. Kang pulled him away to give him a private ‘pep’ talk.

Meanwhile Mr. Moon had his arms crossed, standing beside me. “Have you every danced this style before? Ballroom, I mean.”

“Nope, first time.”

“As expected of the prodigy of Sapphire Entertainment, you dance like a natural.” He uncrossed his arms and put one on his hip. “However, you partner is too stiff. He needs to relax some more when you’re leading.”

“He’s just not used to it. We’re both guys after all. He’s got those instincts to take control. Plus, I don’t think Ms. Kang’s ‘pep’ talk is helping with that. He looks like he’s being mentally destroyed inside out by her.”

That comment made him laugh. “It’s true she isn’t the kindest person when it comes to letting one false move off the hook, but Donghae is one of her best students. She extra hard on those who she knows can take it. Actually, Donghae has said before that he preferred his mistakes to be addressed in a critical manner.”

“Really? Why?”

“Not sure on the specific reason, but like every other student in this school, he’s got high goals – a dream he would like to achieve. If you haven’t noticed, he isn’t one of those students who come from a talented or supportive background like you. SM is very much aware of our students’ home situations – particularly Donghae’s. He’s quite exceptional unlike no other we’ve taught before, but with such pressure on his shoulders he tends to get frustrated easily. He’s aware of it himself, but as his teachers we want to help as much as possible to fill in that gap of support he doesn’t get from his family. That’s why we’re extra critical on him and we believe that’s why he wants us to be too.”

“Interesting notion.” I nodded, “I’ll make sure to support him in any way I need to.”

“As his partner?”

In the most sincere way, I replied, “As whatever he needs to me be.”

Mr. Moon smiled. We watched as Ms. Kang and Donghae were just about done with their private talk. They were still conversing on their way back about relaxing and keep his posture straight from what I could hear. Donghae made eye contact with me and guided my hands to his back and own hand. He was already in character. As should I be.

I let him lead me. Each move we made were familiar steps that I was relearning as the Beast. I was quickly getting the hang of the flow and he finally let me guide our way around the room. I was now leading and Donghae followed after.

“You’re doing much better now.” I said, low enough for only the two of us to hear.

“Yeah. Ms. Kang really drilled me down on my part.”

“What did she tell you?”

“Don’t get distracted.”

“By what?”

“By them.” He motioned his eyes toward the two dance teachers who were talking about something I couldn’t hear.

“Well, she’s right. Don’t focus on them. Pay attention to me and only me. You understand?”

“Yeah…” He went silent. The way he looked at me was still troubled. I tried again to ease his nerves by pulling him closer. I leaned my forehead on his giving him no choice but to look at me directly.

“Oh my…” I heard Ms. Kang say. She nudged the other teacher to turn on the music with the original lyrics of the singer. When the music was on, it just hit me. I no longer had to think, my body instinctively did what it wanted because I knew it was flowing with the song. Instead of moving in the same circles, I guided Donghae further. Further into a world alone with just the two of us.

“S-slow down.” He panted.

“But this is how fast we should be moving, no?” I said.

“Well, yeah–”

“So then follow my lead.” I loosened my grip on his hand and let the music carry us like air. I could tell he was starting to feel it when our movement was beginning to feel like we were moving in a dream. Reality no longer existed because this moment was ours.

“Feels good doesn’t it?” We glided to the left and spun. “Sometimes you should really loosen up and let me just guide you. You’d be surprised how much easier it is.”

“True.” He agreed. “But you can’t expect me to always be so docile can you?”

I stepped forward and he stepped back. We glided together with ever step and turn. I led him under my arm and we came back to each other. “Of course not, you’re my boyfriend after all.”

 

There's really no excuse other than I . But seriously, a lot has happened and is still happening with my life and telling you all won't wash away those sins of being super ultra late for EVERY single update, so I'm just going to post and work on the next chapter like how I should. Thank you~ I am forever grateful to everyone who has stayed subscribed <3