Chapter 34

Loosen Up

~Hyukjae~

I stared into a mirror, looking at my dashing reflection. Usually when people wake up with terrible bedhead they have to take time to fix it, but somehow my hair practically makes itself by the time I wake up. A few disheveled pieces in the right places and I could be ready out the door with effortless morning hair that looks as if I spent half my morning to style. Okay… Maybe not totally ready out the door. Hair isn’t the only look that matters, there’s still the rest of my face and body that needs my dedicated attention.

I rubbed my chin, feeling the hair growing. “Should I shave?”

Growing a beard could be nice. It would add to my manly image, but would I look good is the question. I attempted a few masculine poses to show off my physical features. I looked deeply into my own eyes and winked. Why am I not a model? I laughed. That’s right, I’m already a dancer. But I would seriously consider modeling for a photo shoot once in a while. Also, it’d be nice if I could grow an extra inch or two as well. I stand taller than Donghae with only an inch difference. Height would give me a better advantage, but it seems my personality works just fine establishing my dominance.

“Man, I would date myself.” I bragged. I felt my chin again. “I guess I can wait a little before I shave it all off.”

“What is there to shave?” Heechul blurted. “Peach fuzz?”

“Wah!” Frightened, I spun around. My uncle was leaning on the door frame dressed in one of his many silk robes. His eyes were noticeably blood shot and his hair was the definition of bedhead. You could call it an abstract piece of art if you were creative enough to think of some symbolic metaphor for it. As I said, truly a work or art only an artist called a hangover could create which was exactly what happened last night at my father’s birthday party.

“Enough of you and that mirror – get ready for school.” He yawned.

“Yes sir.” I replied, saluting him.

He turned to leave, but as he did, a strange red dot on the back of his neck caught my eye. It was small, but easy to spot in plain sight if not covered up.

“Heechul?”

“What is it?” He said, turning around, along with the red dot. Could he have…? Last night…?

I shook my head, “I forgot, never mind. I’ll get ready in five.”

“Are you sure you don’t need an extra minute to shave off your peach fuzz?” He teased.

“Hey! It’s getting there. It takes time to grow, you can’t rush it.” I defended.

He chuckled and strutted off. That was the last sight I saw of that red dot. In the car he wore a scarf. Strange coincidence? I think not.


“Every student that has auditioned for the musical play, Beauty and the Beast, please gather in the auditorium after school to hear the results of the voting for roles. That is all.”

Click.

A normal day continued after that announcement from the loud speaker, except in last period where Mrs. Young gave the class ten minutes of free time because she was so ecstatic about the musical. It was like she was tipsy or something. She moved like she was dancing on water, but make no mistake, she wasn’t graceful at all, just however you imagine a slightly drunk person to maneuver around.

Sungmin along with Siwon and Hyoyeon approached Donghae and me who were still seated at our desks.

“So,” Sungmin started, “What role do you guys want?”

“Gaston.” Siwon answered first.

Everybody broke into laughter. “You would want to be that character.” Donghae said.

“I want to be Chip!” Hyoyeon chimed in second.

“Hey! I wanted to be Chip!” Sungmin argued.

“Well the roles are voted so we’ll see who gets Chip then.” Hyoyeon stuck out her tongue. Sungmin returned the gesture and they proceeded to flash insulting faces at each other until Siwon stopped them.

“I want to be Beast. How about you Donghae?”

He grinned, “Beast.”

I playfully smirked, “Well I guess we’ve got to wait and see also huh?”

“I make a better beast.”

“Nuh-uh, I can be more beastly than you.” I retorted. “This manly beard proves it.” I started combing my imaginary beard with my fingers.

“Pfft…! What beard? You mean your peach fuzz? Everybody has that!” Hyoyeon laughed.

I defended myself, even though I knew it was somewhat true. “It’s not peach fuzz! You can’t see it from that far, you have to look closer!”

“Oh sure, maybe you can see one strand of hair, but you can hardly call that anything.” Sungmin commented.

“If you want to see a real beard I can grow one and show you.” Siwon offered. I’m not sure if he was also teasing or being generous, but I’m pretty sure it’s the first one.

“Shut up! I know what a beard looks like.”

“No, Hyukjae – Siwon said ‘real beard’.” Donghae clarified cracking up. I began laughing along with them too. Pretty soon, ten minutes was up and we were back to that normal school schedule. After this class ends, it’s off to the auditorium.


More students had gathered than I thought. I couldn’t even tell if there were going to be enough roles for everyone. I suddenly remember half of these people might be working backstage too. I anticipated Mrs. Young’s arrival.

Soon enough, everybody quieted down as the short woman walked in with a clipboard and megaphone. She walked on top of the stage and waited for everyone to take their seats. Just the students that signed up alone it filled up at least 4 rows on one side, each with 15 seats. Mrs. Young turned her megaphone on and welcomed everyone by thanking them for signing up and coming.

“Now – For what you’ve all been waiting for! The result of who gets what role! I will read both the cast members and backstage workers, of course you would have had to sign up for either one of the categories but since more people signed up to play characters than there are characters in the musical, I apologize if a few individuals who didn’t receive enough votes will have to work their roles behind the scenes, but that is very unlikely. At most 2 people will be switched. So feel free to inform me if you wish to play an extra as well as work backstage at the same time. Understudies are also acceptable, but do tell me before these decisions are final. Roles are free to be exchanged only if the former and latter both agree. However, I must be informed. So without a further ado, here are the cast members!”

She began listing the names off, I listened carefully for mine. She seemed to be naming the supporting roles first, like the towns people and cursed people in the castle. The roles were slowly disappearing to other people and I was pretty sure there were only a few roles left. Some people even cried, “Yes!” happy with their parts. Yet, I still haven’t heard mine.

Could I perhaps be one of the individuals chosen to work backstage? The thought of that possibility made me feel super disappointed. This shining face? Unseen as just a backstage worker? Shining the lights instead of being the one it shines upon?

Okay, I’m being really dramatic, but I really didn’t want to lose a chance in being on stage with Donghae again. Being up close and in the moment with him was really an interesting experience. He has that fiery passion I like to watch, but you don’t get a very good view from the back of his head if your job is to make sure everything goes steady with effects while others get to act alongside him. But if I do end up not being called, I’ll ask to at least be an extra or switch with someone to see Donghae act.

“Chip – Lau Henry, freshman.”

“Nooooooo!!!!” Shouted Hyoyeon and Sungmin in synced. They looked devastated that they both lost to someone else.

“Gaston – Choi Siwon, junior.”

I looked over to Siwon and he sure looked calm compared to others. Did he know he was already getting it? Was this planned by him? I shrugged it off. It didn’t matter if he persuaded people or mention to other’s he wanted that part specifically. I’m surprised he didn’t get voted Beast though. He would rock that role too. He could play any character actually. I’ve watched a few of his rehearsals at Sapphire. Never ceases to terrify me on how different he can be from his normal self.

 “Beast – Lee Hyukjae, junior.”

It took a moment for me to realize what she just said. Did I hear correctly? "Congrats." Someone whispered. That was like a pinch on the cheek to wake me up. WOOOO! I cheered in my head. I even mentally patted my back for getting the male protagonist role. My first time auditioning for a play and I get one of the star roles, my worries of being a backstage worker washed away with relief. I looked towards Donghae with a huge smile, about to rub it in his face for receiving the Beast’s role, but he didn’t seem to take his eyes off of Mrs. Young. He was still listening.

“Belle – Jung Jessica, junior.”

Jessica? She got who now? I recalled seeing her sign up, but to be honest it shocked me a bit that she got Belle. Crap… I just realized Jessica was also Donghae’s ex… And that means we fall in love and get married in the end… That kinda turned me off on the role. I didn’t want to fall in love with her, even if it’s just acting.

Mrs. Young now started listing the names of the backstage workers.

“Donghae–”

“Shh.” He shushed me.

My worries soaked back in. Donghae didn’t get his named called for a part. So what I was so anxious about was contrary to what’s really happening… How can that be?

I felt guilty for thinking such thoughts without considering Donghae’s possible position in the equation. But I never expected for him to not at least get a supporting role. Did his name not receive enough votes for anything? I never voted, but I regret now having done so now. Maybe my one vote could’ve done something… I doubt that, but you never know.

Mrs. Young finished announcing the names for the backstage workers.

“That .” I said to him. “You should’ve been the Beast, not me.”

Donghae was silent. He was thinking. “Hyukjae… I didn’t hear my name at all.”

“What?”

“Yeah, I didn’t hear it either.” Siwon backed him up.

“She didn’t call my name for a cast or backstage role.”

“Did she miss your name?” I said.

“Dunno, let’s ask.”

He raised his hand and Mrs. Young called on him. He told her his name was never called and she double checked her papers. Her question stunned me. “Did you sign up for either of the categories?”

“Yeah, a cast role.” He answered her.

She checked again with a perturbed look. I’m pretty sure we had the same expression because I was the one who wrote his name down for him and he signed the rest. I am 100% positive I put his name down. There’s got to be a mistake.

“Ah,” she nodded. “I apologize, but you’re a backstage worker, Donghae. You and Hyukjae were neck to neck for Beast, but unfortunately you didn’t receive enough votes. Nor were you voted for any other role so evidently I had no other choice but to move you over to the other side. But do feel free to exchange with anyone if they’re willing to give up their role for you.”

The corners of Donghae’s mouth lifted into a disappointed smile. He didn’t look totally heartbroken, but I could tell he did care. He saw my stare.

“Don’t you dare give up your role to me.” He warned.

“I-I wasn’t going to.” I said.

His smile changed. “Good. Congratulations, you bastard.”

We chuckled together at his remark in the back until we heard Mrs. Young’s voice echoed in the vast room with her megaphone. “Jessica, what is it?” She called.

“I don’t want to be Belle.” She said.

The whole room was silent for a few seconds.

“But-but why? Are you nervous being the female protagonist?” Spoke an upset Mrs. Young.

“No, I want to work backstage.”

“Are you sure about this? You can switch with someone if you don’t wish to be Belle.”

“No, I’m certain. I would like to work backstage.”

Mrs. Young let out a defeated sign. With one hand on her hips holding her clipboard and another holding the megaphone, she announced. “The role Belle is now open. Would anyone like to take this opportunity to become a lead? You cannot currently be playing a cast role either. Two parts are not allowed.”

People whispered about whether they should take the free role, but most look content with what they already had. Unexpectedly, Hyoyeon raised her hand.

“Hyoyeon, would you like to be Belle?”

I was about to have a heart attack. Dear God please don’t do this do me.

“N-no. I was just going to say that maybe Donghae can play Belle since he didn’t get to be Beast.”

A few people snickered at the idea, but Donghae looked absolutely shocked. His eyes were wide open. So were mine. My mouth even dropped.

“But, Hyoyeon, Belle is a female and Donghae is a male. How do you expect this to work?”

“We can change her name to Ben and make Belle a boy!” Yoona shouted excitedly.

“Or Beau,” Said Jessica. “It’s a male name that means handsome in French.”

“Yeah, we can make our own unique Beauty and the Beast musical!” Shouted someone I didn’t know.

Mrs. Young took in everyone’s input and nodded her head after every idea. She pointed her megaphone towards . “I like that,” she said. “Let’s make this our own modified version of Beauty and the Beast. Two male protagonists are surely going to be interesting. So how about it, Donghae, are you up for Belle? Like Yoona and Jessica said, we can change it to Ben or Beau, but there may still be romantic scenes between you and the Beast.”

I looked over to him and he was contemplating. I couldn’t read is expression at all. He looked around to see everyone else who was watching him for his decision. “Say yes.” Whispered Siwon, even he was up for the idea and he’s playing Gaston. 

Donghae looked Mrs. Young in the eyes with his choice made up. “I’ll do it.” He smiled. “But–” he continued. “I want Beau or Ben or whatever his name is to be a manly character, so no feminizing this dude just because he was originally a female.”

Our drama teacher looked reluctant on the idea but something in her mind made her agree with delight. “Hyukjae, is this fine with you as the Beast?”

“Definitely.” I said with a wide smile.

“Are there any objections from the rest of the cast members or backstage workers?”

Everyone shook their heads and Mrs. Young was back into the overwhelmingly happy, tipsy state of hers. She danced around and her voice boomed on the megaphone. “Then it’s settled! Beau and the Beast! Rehearsals are every Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays after school! Roles are temporary until first rehearsal which is Wednesday. So you all have two days until everything is final. If anyone has any more ideas, come to my class during lunch or after school and I’ll take it into consideration!” She got off the stage and threw her clipboard in the air. “First meeting, dismissed have a wonderful day!” and she walked out twirling. Her head popped back in after she left. “Someone pick that up and hand it to me please – Other than that, goodbye again!” And she left once she had her clipboard back.

“Beau, huh?” I said. “I’m really looking forward to this now.”

Siwon swung his bag over his shoulder. “I guess we’ll be competition for Beau’s love.”

“Yeah right, I’m nobody’s.”

“Oh?” I smirked. “We’ll see about that.”

Donghae chuckled. “I wouldn’t have said yes to the role if I didn’t already expect this to happen, y’know?”

My eyebrows perked up. “So what are you trying to imply?”

“I said yes for my own reasons.”

“An ulterior motive?”

“Possibly.”

A moved closer to him. “Can I guess what it is?”

“No you may not.”

“Uh… Can you guys move? Everyone left already…” Siwon awkwardly stood there, behind Donghae.

“Lee freakin’ Hyukjae! Your stinkin’ better be grateful to me!” Hyoyeon boomed from the other side of the auditorium.

“You're still here?” I rolled my eyes.

“You’re very welcome.” She gave me an evil smile disguised behind her fake happy one.

“Th-thanks…” Donghae muttered.

That surprised me. Hyoyeon looked pleased and winked at him, “No problem. After that skit assignment, who wouldn’t want to see the two gay partner actors kiss again, and in a musical like Beauty – I mean, Beau and the Beast? Do you wonder why no one objected to the new gay theme?”

“Wait, why?” Donghae suddenly got confused as well as I. The thought had never struck me as strange until she mentioned it.

“You know that skit of yours is pretty famous, right?” She said.

“You don’t say?” He said looking at me. I had no idea what look that was, but he sounded like he just learnt something new.

"It's because it's Hyukjae and Donghae that they support it." She continued.

"I still don't get it." Said Donghae.

“Some girls fantasize about you two as a couple, is what she's trying to say. Not a lot of girls though, I’ve only heard rumors. I don’t know what they call it – shipping, I think?” Siwon clarified.

Donghae’s face went from confused to embarrassed instantly. That same shocked face when Hyoyeon mention his name for Belle’s part was back.

“Girls…Ship us?”

 

The story is coming along to me swimmingly well ^.^ I usually think up a lot of things as I go on, so it's quite a surprise to me with what I end up with, but it's fun I guess. I know I said I'd put the Jongkey date chapter up a loooooooong time ago, maybe you guys might've forgotten, but I have no idea where to pop it in. It feels too random if I suddenly update it out of nowhere. Maybe I'll save it as an extra chapter/bonus chapter in the end is that okay? But I will also add Eunhae bonus chapters in the end too! So do not fret, there will always be Eunhae! But overall, I'll just wait and see what I end up doing. Thank you~