Chapter 27

Loosen Up

~Hyukjae~

I dyed my hair a redish-dark brown for a change of style and I even used some gel to spike it up. My platinum blonde hair was getting boring. Plus, it was pretty much time to retouch my roots. Black hair roots with that hair color isn’t quite my taste, nor do I think it suits me.

A yawn escaped my mouth. But just then a shiver attacked my skin. It’s only fall but it’s so cold already. I deliberately sighed to see my visible breath appear as a smoke like cloud. At least the cold has its fun. My exposed hands rubbed against each other to keep warm. They then snuggled into my pockets seeking for more warmth. Hot chocolate sounds really good right now.

Each period basically went the same. I don’t really start enjoying the day until lunch, mainly because it’s the only free time we SM students have. We’re free to wander around the school as long as we’ve cleaned up after ourselves, which is nice.

I cleared my area on the table and announced my leave from the group sitting there.

I’ve only recently met the dance teachers at SM and they really do live up to their reputations. Talented teachers indeed and they even allowed me to visit their studio during lunch despite not even having their class on my schedule.

I roamed a bit in the halls to stretch out my legs, but right when I was about to make a left, I heard Jessica’s voice talking and she wasn’t alone. Now, I don’t randomly stop and eavesdrop on people, but I heard Donghae’s name and a few other things that caught my attention.

“I don’t know if I should do it…” Jessica spoke. She was  leaning on something and her friends were standing near her.

“Why not?” Friend #1 asked. “Just do it.”

Jessica sighed, conflicted. “But it’s Donghae. I don’t want to hurt him.”

“That’s exactly why you should break up with him. It’s Donghae.” said Friend #2.

“Yeah, he’s probably aware that your relationship isn’t all that – How should I put this – strong to begin with anyway. I don’t think he’d hate you afterwards either.” Friend #1 added.

“I know, it’s just… It’s doesn’t seem like a good time now.” Jessica muttered.

“Why?” The both friends asked.

“I can’t say, but he’s just not doing so well. He gets easily lonely, and who’s going to be there for him if I’m not?”

Friend #2 retorted, “You see! You’re just someone who he needs comfort from. None of your needs are being met. It’s totally one-sided! Why are you staying with a selfish guy like that? You deserve better.”

Friend #1 agreed, “Totally. You guys never go on dates or go any further than a kiss. Don’t you want more?”

I could hear Jessica starting to agree with them. “I-I do… But…”

“But what? What’s so hard for you to let go?” Friend #1 whined. “Sure he’s sweet and good looking, but is he really worth stayng with?”

“No, I just…” I couldn’t tell if Jessica was going to say it or not, but I’ve heard enough.

I spun my heels around to leave. But I almost screamed when I realized that Donghae had been standing behind me the whole time. I bit my tongue to prevent myself from making any noise. I leaned in close to his ear. “Did you hear everything?” I whispered.

He nodded with a half-hearted grin. He was trying hard not to look sad, but that made me feel even worse knowing he’s trying hard to conceal his pain in front of me.

“I’m sorry…”

He shook his head. “It’s fine.”

“Are y–”

He covered my mouth with his hand and held a finger to his lips. I remained silent as he dragged me away to a safer place to talk. We ended up going in the boy’s bathroom.

“You okay?” I immediately asked.

Oddly enough, he kinda laughed and shook his head. “Everyone’s been asking me that a lot lately.”

I didn’t get what he meant, but it probably meant a no. I frowned at him. He noticed my expression.

“I’m not really bothered by that. I knew it was coming anyway.”

My frown didn’t leave my face. It bothered me in a way since he wouldn’t admit it.

“Really, I’m okay. Yeah, it , but everything they said is true. She does deserve a better boyfriend than me.”

Hearing him down himself like that kinda pissed me off. They said such awful things, and he’s agreeing with them?! This guy’s an idiot. But it’s not like I have any advice to give him. I obviously can’t say that everything’s okay, because I wouldn’t even believe my own words.

“I’m sorry, man…”

“Nah, like I said. I kinda expected this. It was gonna happen sooner or later.”

No matter how good an actor this guy was, I could tell he was hurting real bad inside. It was just a feeling, but I just know it. Yet he still chooses to hide everything. Those puppy eyes of his and heavy shoulders he shrugs were all an act. I wish he wasn’t so stubborn.

“Lunch’s gonna end soon. Let’s go.” He said.

I exited out first, but I stopped, ‘causing him to crash into me from behind. He peeked over my shoulder, finding out the reason why I froze.

“Donghae.” Jessica called. “I need to talk to you.”

It seemed like she wanted to go somewhere private to discuss their matters, but Donghae just bluntly came out with it. “I know you want to break up with me.” She suddenly was appalled when an epiphany struck her that he had overheard her little talk with her friends, but she didn’t hesitate too long to reply back.

“So you’ve already prepared yourself?”

Donghae shrugged. “Somewhat. Can’t say I’m not sad though, but I don’t blame you.”

Jessica’s face seemed relieved. “Even if we’re not boyfriend and girlfriend, I’ll still be there if you need me. So don’t worry, ‘kay?”

I could tell she felt bad for him. She was going with the friend route, to reassure Donghae that they’ve still got at least a friendship left.

He forced a smile. “Alright.”

They looked at each other for a little longer in silence. Out of nowhere, Jessica stepped forward quickly and grabbed Donghae by the collar and smacked her lips onto his. He didn’t shut his eyes, but he didn’t move away either. She released him and said goodbye, strutting off in a hurry to find her friends. My jaw dropped, surprised from that last move. My eyes returned to Donghae. He used his sleeve to wipe his lips. I couldn’t read his expression at all.

“I’m okay. Honestly.” He assured.

I sighed out of frustration. I roughly grabbed his arm and pulled him back into the boy’s bathroom.

“Hyukjae–”

“Shut up.”

I pulled him close enough to the point where he could rest his head on my shoulder. My hand pushed his head down so that he could.

“I know this probably isn’t necessary, but jeeze, just stop lying to yourself.” I implored.

“Hyukjae, stop. I said there’s nothing wrong.”

He was struggling a little, so I decided to take it a step further. I placed a hand on his soft cheek, my thumb caressing the skin. I made sure he was giving me eye contact before I spoke. “Be a little more honest – At least with me. Just stay like this for a bit, rest your head on me. Sometimes things aren’t okay, just accept it.”

He seemed to calm down and even indulged himself to be comforted by me. His face buried into my neck. His touch gave my skin tingles. His smell was sweet and addicting. I can’t believe he’s actually letting me hold him like this. I didn’t even think he’d let me touch him. After that one kiss in the hall where Amber interrupted, he’s been extremely cautious of me at times. I guess he just needs someone. After all, Jessica just broke up with him.

“Hyukjae.”

“Hmm?” I hummed.

“Thank you.”

My eyes widen to the size of two planets. Because I swear… He just lightly kissed my neck.

 

There's more than just Kibum. Jessica left too... But guess who's coming to the rescue? You guessed it! Hyukjae! I think this is where things really begin, hence the break up :) Thank you~