Chapter 16

Loosen Up

~Hyukjae~

Donghae and I were just about finished with the script when the nurse came in, but she wasn’t alone. My parents followed behind her and they were overjoyed to see me awake and in better condition. My mother came running towards the bed, her heels clicking with every step. Her arms flung around me and her lips kissed every part of existing skin on my cheeks. My dad joined in and hugged me very tightly too. His old face looked so relieved and happy. They both looked as if tears were going to burst from their eyes any second. My mom reached for my hand and held it tightly in her grasp. Her thump my knuckles and she said in a gentle tone, “Hyukjae, we’re so glad you’re awake. How’s my beautiful son doing? Does anywhere hurt? Do you feel any different? You need to tell us these things so we know you’re alright.”

“Son, you really made us worried. When you didn’t wake up the next day or the day after that, we really thought we might have lost you. We prayed every night for you to wake up healthy and visited you every day when we could. Don’t scare us like that ever again, okay?” My dad added.

I smiled. My free hand overlapped my mom’s and I assured them that I was feeling great. For some reason, no matter how much I told them I was fine, it was like they still didn’t believe me. They kept on asking more and more questions and felt my temperature with their hands. They also checked my skin and asked me if it hurt when they touched it. I couldn’t help but look at Donghae, and notice his reactions. He had a big grin on his face, amused by my parents’ behavior.

“Umma… Uhh-”

“Can you walk Hyukjae?”

“Yeah, but uh-”

“Do you need to pee?”

“Not really, but-”

“Do you need Appa to help you to the bathroom and pee?”

Donghae covered his mouth. He was trying really hard not to laugh. My parents noticed my glance and turned around. It startled them to finally notice that there had been a guy sitting on a chair, right beside them this whole time.

Donghae stood up and bowed. “A pleasure to meet you. My name is Lee Donghae.”

My parents returned the greeting.

“Are you a friend of Hyukjae’s?” My dad asked.

“Yessir, we’re friends. I go to the same school.” Donghae said politely.

My dad laughed. “Mr. Lee is fine.”

“Yessir.”

“It’s Mr. Lee.”

“Mr. Lee, sir?”

“Yes, my last name is Lee. So call me Mr. Lee.” He chuckled.

“Yessir – Ah, I mean Mr. Lee.” Donghae said nervously. He was being very respectful towards my dad, probably because he knew he was the president of a famous talent company/agency.

My dad patted Donghae on the shoulder. “I like you kid.” He said.

“So did you come to visit Hyukjae?” My mom inquired curiously.

“Kinda, we’re working on a school assignment together.”

“Oh really? What is it?” My mom lit up, looking interested. Donghae explained to them about drama class and how Mrs. Young assigned partners for everyone and how we each had to pick a random scenario. I then carried on and explained what our scenario was and they both smiled. I also mentioned about what we planned to do and how it was going to go down on Monday. As I told my parents about the little scenes we were going to perform as a couple, Donghae’s face turned slightly red.

“That sounds fun.” My dad said. “We should do that at the company.”

“Yes! Very fun! I’m sorry we interrupted your hard work.”

“No it’s alright. I was about to leave anyway. It’s pretty late, so I should probably get going.”

Donghae started to pack up and clean everything off the bed. I felt a little sad that he was already leaving. Working with him was quite enjoyable since I got to make fun of him. But it didn’t feel like it was enough. It never was when time passes while you’re having fun.

“Do you need a ride home?” I suggested, hoping that he’d say yes.

“It’s okay. I’m going to call Kibum to pick me up. You get home and rest, alright? Because you’re gonna kinda need it when everyone hordes around you tomorrow. Bring a pillow maybe just to be safe.”

I looked at him, surprised yet pleased. Really? I haven’t even been at SM academy for a month and people were already missing me?

He swung his backpack over one shoulder and waved goodbye to me and my parents. I waved back, but I yelled out wait. He turned back to look and I pulled out a red rose from the flower vase next to my bed. “You’ve worked hard today.” I said to him. He smiled and walked back to get his rose. “You too.” He said, and then left.

After a few second he had left, my mom spoke in kind words about Donghae. “Donghae seems like a very good kid. I bet he treats his parents well.”

“He’s very polite and looks like he would have a lot of potential, very handsome too.” My dad agreed. “His parents must be proud to have a son like him.”

I nodded. “Definitely.”


The IV drop was removed from my arm and my blood pressure and pulse were taken by a nurse before I was officially discharged from the hospital. My legs felt a little tired as I walked, but that was nothing compared to three days ago.

My parents and I were heading towards our car, but my eyes caught sight of Donghae who was still lingered at the front of the hospital with a phone held up to his ear. He frowned and his face looked a bit disappointed as he shoved his phone back in his pocked. Concerned, I called out to him. “Donghae is everything alright?” He turned his head in our direction and rubbed the nape of his neck awkwardly. He gave me a slanted smile, “Kibum’s not really picking up his phone and I don’t have any money for the bus. So... You think that offer is still open?”

I looked at the both of my parents to see if they approved and they shrugged as if saying ‘Why not?’ and I returned my gaze back to him, signaling him to come over with my hand. He came over, and greeted my parents with a small bow. As we approached near the car, I decided to be a gentleman and opened the door for Donghae. He thanked me and I also closed it for him.

The car started once I got settled into my seat and we were now off, driving away from the hospital at last.

“Your name is Donghae, correct?” My mom asked.

“Correct.” Donghae replied.

“Donghae, sweetie, can you say your address out loud so that the GPS can locate your home and give us the directions?” My mom said.

“S-sure.” He agreed and did as he was told. The GPS quickly picked up the address and was now guiding us to his home.

“Wow that’s pretty cool.” Donghae commented.

“Yeah, it’s the latest model.” My mom boasted. She then went on and on about the amazing things it can do and how the car was also voice activated. I was use to all of this advanced technology, but since Donghae didn’t live the same lifestyle, he was so mesmerized by our wealth.

“The most advanced technology I have is my phone. I don’t think my parents would ever be able to afford something like this.” Donghae said.

“What do your parents work as?” My dad asked.

“My dad is a software engineer and my mom is a nurse for Seoul Hospital. We’re pretty middle class, but they don’t really spend a lot of money – not on me anyways.”

“How do they usually spend their money?”

“On house improvements, food, clothes, my brother’s school, and my brother. That’s pretty much it.”

“You have a Hyung?” I asked.

“Dongseung, but he’s adopted. His name is Jason.”

“Wow, really?” My mom said. “Is he foreign?”

“No he’s Korean.”

“I know this is none of my business, but how’d he end up with your family?” My dad said.

“He had abusive parents. It was really bad, bruises, blood, neglect, but then my parents adopted him and they take very good care of him. He’s an intelligent child, bright and cute.” Although Donghae was praising his little brother, there was some sort of longing present in his voice or nostalgia, like he was reminiscing about memories. I sensed that he wanted to tell us more, but didn’t.

“Poor child…” My mom grieved. She loved children and had always wanted me to have another sibling so that I wouldn’t be so lonely. But again, after having me and devoting themselves to the company, they weren’t able to achieve having another child. Nor did they even have time to adopt. I’ve always wondered how life would be differently if I had another brother or sister. Even if I do love the attention that I get, the thought of it didn’t bother me too much. It was just that it wouldn’t just be me and myself all the time.

“What’s it like having a brother?” I asked Donghae.

“Uhhh…”

I could tell he was thinking hard and careful.

“You have someone to talk to and someone to play with, I guess.”

“Do your parents love you guys equally or is it hard for them to be fair about things?”

“…” Donghae looked unsure on how to answer it. I had a hunch that it might not be as fair as I was hoping for it to be. “I suppose it’s just that I’m older that they pay more attention to Jason. You know, it would be embarrassing if they were pinching my cheeks and giving me kisses at this age.” He laughed.

“Really? Hyukjae loves getting kisses from us! He’s always acting like a baby around us and wanting hugs. My little boy still doesn’t want to grow up, but it doesn’t matter because he’s forever my baby!” My mom oh so kindly announced it to him and probably for the whole world to hear if the window was open. Good thing it was dark inside the car, because my face burned up quickly. Donghae was now cracking up making comments such as “That’s sweet” and “Little Hyukkie doesn’t want to grow up”

“There’s nothing wrong with a son wanting kisses and hugs from his parents.” I retorted defensively. But now my dad tagged along with the teasing.

“Sometimes I feel like Hyukjae wants me to give him piggyback rides around the mansion again or play airplane with him. Honestly, he’s really like a little kid~” My old man chuckled, his laugh boisterous and raspy.

“Seriously? How old are you, Hyukjae?” Donghae said.

“17! And he just feels like I give off that feeling, but it’s not true right? I haven’t had a piggyback ride since I was 15.” I realized I blurted it all out before I could stop myself.

“15?!?” Donghae was now laughing hysterically. He couldn’t control his breathing. I could even swear that his face was redder than mine, maybe even redder than the rose.

“What’s so funny?” I asked, feeling super embarrassed and regretful.

“N-nothing – hahaha – It’s just – haha – that’s really precious!” Donghae managed to finish saying with all the laugher. “Your father would still be willing to give you a piggyback ride at that age is just – Wow. Have you ever considered giving him a piggyback ride?”

“He has but I’m a grown man. However his mother on the other hand loves piggyback rides too. They’re both so silly. I think that’s where he got his baby side from.” My dad said.

“You know you love it.” My mother giggled along with the happy atmosphere. The car sounded like it was full of hyenas. All of them were cracking up from talking to each other and the main focus somehow stayed on me. I then laughed beside them because I didn’t know what else to say or do. It was just funny and I was happy.

Later, the car slowly began to come to a halt.

“So this is where you live.” I said.

“Not exactly, this is Kibum’s house. I actually forgot my keys and my parents don’t come home until late, so I’m just going to chill at his place for a while.”

“Shouldn’t your brother be home?” My mom said.

“He’s probably sleeping and I don’t want to bother him.”

“Alright then, take care. Have a good night, Donghae. It was nice meeting you.” My father said. “The pleasure is all mines, Mr. Lee. It was wonderful meeting you and your wife. Have a good night. And Hyukjae, don’t forget to practice your lines. The script’s not finished yet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t practice. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Donghae said as he shut the car door. When he got to the door step, I swiftly slid over to the other seat and rolled the window down to wish him a goodnight.

He turned around with a bright grin on his face, one that could light up the whole night, and waved with the same hand he held the rose in.

 

Oh the Eunhae xD That's all I have to say... Thank you~