Chapter 15

Loosen Up

~Hyukjae~

Heechul made his way over to the empty seat Donghae had left and sat down with his legs elegantly crossed. He obviously was tired and rested his elbow on the arm of the chair where he rubbed his temples in a weary manner. I reached over for the tray of food and scarfed down a sandwich and burning hot soup. The more I ate the hungrier I felt. When I finished, my stomach groaned in dissatisfaction, but I set the tray down on the bedside table and folded my hands behind my head as if I were. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

Heechul’s eyes stared sharply at me along with a deep sign. “There’s a limit to how stupid a person can be, but you – Hyukjae, have broken the scale.” He didn’t leave a second to spare and went straight into talking. There was no long pause or awkward staring, just hard blunt truths of confrontation.

“I specifically asked you countless times to stop pushing yourself so hard, but you wouldn’t listen.” He paused for a moment, but it didn’t last very long. “Were you just trying to prove a point to your parents or something?”

I was taken aback by his invasive tone. As someone who was just recovering, it felt threatening to be interrogated in this state. “Of course not! There was absolutely no point to be proven. I especially wouldn’t prove one if I had to go through all this pain.”

“Then why?” He sounded like he was imploring for a truth. Some answer I would only be willing to share with him. The man I trusted more than anyone else.

“I-I don’t know.” I replied feeling a little strained.

“Don’t give me that half-assed answer. You know why. I know you do.”

“Maybe I do! But I just–” I shut my mouth, surprised at how loud I raised my voice against Heechul. He was just as shocked as I was. Seldom did I ever have an outburst, especially when it came down to my uncle. Lips trembling, I finally muttered, “I just didn’t want to let anyone down…”

He looked away, rethinking whatever he was thinking. His face softened when his gaze returned. “I’m sorry.” He said, getting up. “I shouldn’t force such things out of you while you’ve just woken up. I’ll get you more food, so please rest as much as you can.” Heechul took the tray and circled around the chair.

“Wait–” I cried. I tried to chase after him only to fail miserably as my legs gave out beneath me. He spun around, hearing my collapse and dropped the tray to hastily come to my aid. Donghae heard the ruckus we were making and opened the door.

“Is everything alright?” He popped his head in. He rushed in once he noticed me on the floor clutching onto Heechul’s arms. “What happened?”

“Nothing,” Said Heechul, a bit too quick and suspicious, “Please take this tray to the nurse. I’ll get Hyukjae back into his bed.” Donghae nodded and left without another word. Heechul pressed his lips together giving me an incredulous and amused look. He then hooked his arm under my knees and the other around my back, lifting me up like a bride. I clung onto him desperately. My back felt a slight breeze from the exposure of the hospital gown. I also felt the gentleness of his hold. So gentle I almost couldn’t believe it was him. Usually he was aggressive and merciless, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t unsympathetic. It was just rare to see him like this.

He placed me carefully on the bed and slid the blankets up to my waist. “What the hell are you doing, Hyukjae?”

“Trying to stop you from leaving.”

“Did that include making yourself look like an idiot?”

“If it worked then I suppose so.”

“Indeed it did.” Heechul sat back in the chair, less gracefully this time and more relaxed. “Why?”

I bit my lip uneasily and my eyes dropped. “I didn’t mean to make anyone worried… I honestly thought I could tough it out – like how I always do. You know how I am… I’m stubborn and I don’t listen and you also know how much I hate this job. But no matter how much I hate it I hate disappointing Omma and Appa even more. They always give me everything I want, but if I can’t give them the one thing that they want from me then who am I to be called an heir?” Heechul kept quiet as if expecting me to say more. The shadows of his eyes darkened when he furrowed his brows. He was contemplating about thoughts I couldn’t predict. Whenever he thought to himself it was suspenseful, long, and painfully quiet. It was like nothing could faze him. He sat as motionless as a statue. I couldn’t take it any longer so I called out for his name.

The sound of it broke his concentration and he seemed to return back to life. However, he looked no less troubled and dark. The screeching of the chair was like knives in my ears as he scooted closer to place a hand over mine “Hyukjae, look at me.” He ordered. I did so, amazed to see him smiling at me so lovingly like a parent. The resemblance between my mother and him was definitely there. “You don’t have to prove anything to anyone. Your efforts alone are enough to fill your parents will happiness and more than enough to make them proud. I’m proud, Hyukjae, just to see you try. But please, don’t worry us like that ever again. You’re still so young. You have time to enjoy. You don’t need to pretend you’re okay when you’re not. Your parents are always here for you – I’m here, so just count on us when it’s hard on you. My duty as your Appa’s secretary is to relieve him of those matters he cannot attend to. You are no different, you understand?”

I nodded and he stood up to pull me to his chest into a hug. It was comforting until his arms then wrapped around my neck and tightened into a choke hold. “Good, now let’s talk about you secretly dance at night when you weren’t supposed to.”

I froze in a shocked terror. “W-What are you talking about?”

His icy laugh made me shiver. “Oh Hyukjae, how stupid do you think I am? If you even dare tell me lies I may or may not suffocate you until you pass out and let it pass as an insufficient amount of rest to the nurses. So do entertain me as to why you chose to do such foolish things 2am in the morning while you were meant to be resting?”

I held on to his one arm that choked me like a viper. Both my hands couldn’t pry myself free which felt like a step on my pride. I blamed it on my current weak state. “I’ll tell you if you let me go.” I begged.

He eyed me with doubt and tightened his hold.

“Ow ow ow…! Okay, okay! I’ll tell you, please let go of me!” I croaked.

He let go and I rubbed my sore neck. “Seriously, I already passed out once. I rather not go through it again.”

Heechul tapped his foot impatiently while looking at me. I sighed.

“Fine, I did dance at night. But can you really blame me? I’m a born dancer and telling me not to dance is like telling a fish not to swim. If you’re wondering how my sanity lasted long enough to this day, well there’s your answer.”

Content, Heechul calmed down. “You’re not really in trouble, I just wanted to know. I won’t tell you parents either, so rest assured. However, if I ever catch you do that ever again that late at night, I’ll break both your legs.”

“Yessir.” I mumbled.

It was sometimes strange how Heechul could love one moment and then be brutal the next. Even for me I’d get caught off guard with him. My mother was comparatively passive when she handled things. Heechul on the other hand blew like a storm in summer. They were almost opposite, but one characteristic they both had in common made them stand out as siblings and that was their beauty. Their mysterious charm that set them apart from the world they were born in. I was told they used to be broke, just barely surviving each month’s rent. When my mom met my dad, they hit it off and my dad often told me that when he first saw my mom, she was like a jewel hidden in rubbish. Her pale white skin and cold hard stare reminded him of sapphires and that’s where they got their dream of one day creating an entertainment company. I was never told more than that. Not even why they chose the field of entertainment, nonetheless I found it heartwarming and tragic. Especially the part where they fought to be together because of their wide difference of social status.

Despite how much I tried to ask, they told me the same story over and over again like a recital, even Heechul. I stopped asking at this point, but never stopped wondering.

“You know what’s interesting?” My uncle paced himself over to the bedside table and under it he picked up a bouquet of wrapped flowers. They were red and white roses, still fresh and vibrant. “I came all three days to visit you and–”

“You bought me flowers? How sweet–”

“No, actually, that’s where the interesting part comes in.” He grabbed a red rose out from the bundle and set the bouquet on my lap where I pulled out a white one to examine closer.

“My parents?”

Heechul shook his head.

“Donghae?” I said, hopeful.

“No not him either.”

My lips dropped into a frown. “Who else visited me?”

Heechul handed me his rose and I held it. “Hyoyeon.”

A sharp thorn pricked me finger and I released the rose. It fell on the floor just as my heart suddenly sank to the ground. I hadn’t heard that name in years.

“I bumped into her yesterday standing outside of your hospital room. She was holding these, but she didn’t want to come in. She only watched you from the window on the door. So if it makes you any better she never got to see your monkey drooling face up close while you were out cold.”

I didn’t feel any better at all. If she knew I was in the hospital, then she must have known more. “Did she say anything?” I asked urgently.

“Not really – Oh, she did say that there was no point in saying hello while you were asleep, so she said she was going to see you another time.”

“Another time?! When’s another time?!” A sick feeling washed itself inside of me. I started to recall all those times we spent together and then going suddenly sour. I was almost certain that I succeeded in making a clean break from her. That she would be gone from my personal life, most preferably gone forever. I had no idea how she knew where I was, but I was not prepared to face her and her wrath. Not again.

Heechul looked at his watch. “I’ll be taking my leave now. I have a meeting to attend to in an hour. Your parents will be back here to discharge you from the hospital. So until then, you can work with Donghae on the script or whatever.” My uncle grabbed another rose from the bouquet and sniffed it. Seeing him and the rose together made an oddly enchanting pair. He walked towards the door, but suddenly stopped.

“Oh yeah, as punishment for being so careless I’m confiscating all things strawberry from you.”

My mouth dropped and my eyes widened. “Whyyyyyyyyy?!?!” I whined.

“Because I can’t just leave you with a talk and expect you to have learned your lesson. I’d give you more paper work, but since we need to reduce your amount of stress, I’m taking away your one and only love.” He smirked and waved goodbye. Now I really felt like crying.

Donghae came in with a confused expression.

“What’s with Heechul? He’s skipping in the hallway with a rose in his hand.”

“He’s being an , that’s what’s with him.” I grumbled unhappily as I crossed my arms and pouted.

Donghae sat back down on a chair and grabbed the unfinished script from the foot of the bed. He looked at me and laughed when he saw my baby pout. “Man, you have some big lips.” He chuckled.

I didn’t know if it was a compliment or an insult, but I decided to insult and back. “Well, you have like no lips.”

He stopped laughing and glared at me. “What the hell are you talking about? I have lips.” He stated.

“Yeah, fish lips.”

He slapped my leg and I winced at his strength. “I’m kidding, I’m kidding.” I laughed.

“You better be.” He warned.

“You look great with thin lips, no need to be so upset.” I assured him. “Can you pick up that rose on the ground and throw it away?”

“Why? You can’t do it yourself?”

I unleashed another one of my pouts, which successfully made Donghae obey. I celebrated inside and praised myself for my amazing ability to pout and make people do things. Although I get a small feeling he just did it to make me stop.

We talked more about the script and the props that we might consider using. There were some ideas that Donghae mentioned, but I felt reluctant to agree. I told him a few of mines, but he looked unsure about them. We then began to compromise and rewrite lines that we thought could be better. The script was almost done when I brought up one last idea.

“Should we kiss?”

“No.” He immediately answered.

“You didn’t even think about it.” I frowned.

“Don’t have to. I don’t want to kiss you.”

“That hurts.”

“I’m not into kissing guys.”

“Apparently your character is.”

“And if you were a girl he’d suddenly become straight too.”

“Oh come on! Give me one good reason why there shouldn’t be a kiss scene.”

“Because I said so.”

“It’s not about what you want; it’s about what our characters want.”

“Right now he doesn’t want to be kissing you.”

“The whole point of our skit is so that he does want to.”

“Lies, all I have to do is forgive you.”

“With a kiss.”

“No kiss.”

“Whyyyyyy?”

“Fine, a kiss on the cheek.”

“Noooooo, that’s lame. On the lips.”

“No, no lips.”

“But it’s way more romantic than a kiss on the cheek!”

“Then use your acting skills to make it look romantic on stage.”

“But let’s kiss on the lips. It’s just acting, right?”

“I refuse, even if it is acting.”

“Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease.”

“Why are you so persistent?”

I paused for a second. That was a great question, why did I want a kiss scene so badly?

“I don’t know, it just feels like there should be one.” I patted the side of the bed. “Here, come closer.”

He hesitated, but I gestured for him to hurry. He sat down and I moved until I was close enough to put my arms around him. As I was about to I pulled my hands back just to make sure. “Don’t punch me okay?”

He backed up a little, “Why?”

“I’m trying to show you how intimate we should be.”

Donghae still looked uncertain, but then complied. I put my arms around his neck and pulled him towards me. His shoulder tensed and he pulled back slightly. Regardless I got him close, but still too far of a distance for any intimate feelings. “If you keep resisting you won’t feel anything but discomfort.”

“That’s because I am feeling only discomfort right now. I’m pretty sure your is hanging loose on the other side of this hospital gown too. ”

“I have briefs on for your information.”

“Too much information.”

I exhaled at his obstinate refusal and pushed him down, not without expecting him to struggle of course. His arms flailed around until one accidentally hit me directly below my rib cage and I felt a good amount of air knocked out of me. I coughed and Donghae immediately froze. He sat up, one hand on my . “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hit you. Are you alright?”

I replied by grimacing as I moved off of him. My weight was shifted onto my arm to keep me balanced while the other one rubbed the stop where Donghae hit. “Ow.” I winced. “Was that really necessary?”

“I’m really sorry. Maybe you should lie down?”

He helped me to my original spot and cupped my hand on my abdomen. I breathed out another groan to make him feel extra guilty. The truth was it didn’t hurt that much, but as a recovering patient I should at least use it to my advantage.

“I thought I told you not to punch me?”

“I know and I apologized twice already.”

“Then how about we add a kiss scene?”

Donghae threw me a look of astonishment, his mouth gaping. “Alright, fine. I’ll think about it.”

I smiled.

 

Yay! Finally, a chapter post! Quite a few things happened in this chapter, but more surprises are still to come! It's really late, and I'm still recovering from my little heath incident (I posted on my blog if you want to know what happened) So I'm going to rest the best I can. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, good night, and good day to you my friend~ Thank you~