Chapter 9

Hallyu Academy ~ Forgotten Memories [hiatus until 19/1/2012]

 

The hallways seemed long for Min Ah as she walked hand-in-hand with her best friend, Jiyoon. Youngmin and Jae Hyo were following closely, walking at their own pace. Min Ah couldn't help but look at every student they passed. From the whispers she'd been hearing, it seemed like the whole school has heard about her amnesia. Some students threw concerned eyes at her. The boys, in particular, were practically sulking about the news and they kept muttering her name, which was weird.

One boy with a cute face and impish eyes approached Min Ah. "I've heard what happened. You're a nullifier, right? Why weren't you able to protect yourself from the memory-eraser?" He sounded concerned.

"Huh? Who are you?" Min Ah threw a question, putting on her innocent face.

The boy suddenly blushed. "Um… I'm… you don't remember… That's right!" He chucked softly, scratching the back of his head.

"I'm sorry…" Min Ah said, bowing her head at him, as her hair flowed down her shoulders.

The boy felt like touching her hair but he stopped when he sensed some dangerous aura around him. He peered over his shoulders only to see a group of angry boys holding torture devices in their hands. Yikes! That was not all he felt. He looked over at the two guys behind Min Ah and gulped at the way they looked at him. He sweated profusely and backed away a few steps from Min Ah. In an instant, he spun on his heels and made a run for it, shouting, "Jiyoon-sshi, I'll still buy Min Ah-sshi's pictures from you!"

Jiyoon waved her hand, still retaining her cold expression, and said, "Later, after class…"

"What pictures? And who was that?" Min Ah asked.

"One of my best customers," Jiyoon answered, thinking about money and stuff.

Jae Hyo's and Youngmin's face fell as a big sweat drop slid down the corner of their faces.

Min Ah's face was showing some emotion now. She didn't understand what Jiyoon meant and she was still wondering about the pictures of her. "Umm… Jiyoon…" Before she continued, the boys started to speak.

"We're all worried about you, Min Ah-sshi!" one boy asked, taking his control device mask off to reveal a gentle face.

"Min Ah-sshi lost her memories. That's bad." Another one spoke out.

"Don't worry, we still love ya," uttered an obnoxious boy.

Min Ah didn't know what to say after those remarks. She couldn't even grasp at how the boys were gawking at her. It was like they wanted to gobble her up or something.

The moment a boy tried to hold her hand; Jae Hyo stepped in to stop him. He couldn't control his jealousy anymore. He glared at the boys with rage in his crimson eyes, alerting them to scram before he burns them all to ashes. They were all very aware of what Jae Hyo was capable of doing, especially when he was pissed off. All of them made a run for with while waving their hands back at Min Ah.

"Pabo…" Jae Hyo grumbled, walking away from them. "Let's go to class before any of them decides to come back."

Youngmin sighed in relief, feeling thankful for what his best friend did. He too was also jealous of those boys around Min Ah. "Ever since you fixed Min Ah up for that Cinderella play last year, a lot of boys started chasing her," he said to Jiyoon.

"It's all for the money," replied Jiyoon, her eyes turning into dollar signs.

"You sounded like you just sold off your best friend."

"Why wouldn't I? Min Ah is making me richer."

"What do you mean?" Min Ah questioned, not understanding as usual.

Jiyoon didn't bother to reply and pulled Min Ah along with her.

They all arrived at door of Class-B. Min Ah heard the noise coming from inside, the noise of chattering students and ruckus of balls bouncing around. She clasped her hands, thinking what kind of class she was going to see.

She saw Jae Hyo and Youngmin entering the room first, followed by Jiyoon. The inventor held the door open, inviting the brunette to enter. She felt nervous, but her face didn't show it. She hesitated to move from her spot. Jiyoon pulled Min Ah with full force and made her face the class. The classroom grew silent as the students stared at Min Ah in surprise.

"Min Ah-sshi!" Woohyun got up from his seat and went to Min Ah. "How are you?" he asked, caressing Min Ah's hand in his.

"You… I saw you last time in the hospital," said Min Ah.

"That's right. I'm Nam Woohyun, the class representative."

At this point, Min Ah's close friends, namely Jihyun, Hyuna, Chunji, and surprisingly, Taeyeon, surrounded Min Ah and started asking questions to her. Min Ah recognized all of them since they were the same ones in the hospital before. She especially remembered Chunji because of his Mind-Reading Alice.

All of them introduced themselves to Min Ah again, though their hearts felt a slight pang of pain. But they tried their best to smile for their friend who only looked at them with emptiness in her amber eyes.

Chunji sighed at Min Ah's thought. He had been reading her mind since she came into the classroom. Believe it or not, for the first time ever, he didn't feel like sharing what he just read. He usually used his Alice to spill some interesting secrets and gossips about people.

The kid with the Super Hearing Alice heard Heechul-soensaengnim skipping merrily along the hallways. He immediately alerted all the students that he was coming. On the cue, Jiyoon and the others took their seats. Min Ah didn't know where she was seated, so she asked Jiyoon about it. The inventor simply told her that her seat was beside Jae Hyo. Min Ah saw Jae Hyo and Youngmin at the last row and quickly went there to take a seat.

Heechul-soensaengnim suddenly barged in and greeted his students with a warm "GOOD MORNING!" He twirled around the classroom and set his notebook on the table. "Let's get this day started," he said before noticing Min Ah at the back of the room. His eyes softened in an instant.

"You're worried," Chunji told him after reading his mind.

"Yes, completely…" Heechul-soensaengnim replied. He approached Min Ah and placed a hand on her head. "Min Ah-sshi, I'm your homeroom teacher, Heechul."

"Soensaengnim…" she muttered, looking up at the blonde man.

He bent down and whispered something in her ear that made her gasped. The students wondered what Heechul just said, but the teacher didn't say a word. He went up in front again and started discussing about their graduation.

"Hey, what did he tell you?" Jae Hyo asked, suspicious of Heechul.

"Umm… Appa…" Min Ah muttered, turning her head to face his crimson eyes. "He's my appa here in school. He told me to call him that whenever we're alone." She shifted her eyes on the blonde teacher who was already talking about the graduation.

"Heenim? Appa?" Jae Hyo shrugged. "He's not your real father, but he acts like one." He rested his feet on top of the desk. He was just going to get irritated if he was going to listen to Heechul, so he opened his manga and started reading.

"Heechul-soensaengnim…" Her eyes softened as something sparked within her heart. Her heart ached with pain and her eyes grew soft and sad. She was starting to hear voices in her head and it seemed to sound like Heechul. She didn't know what was going on. Her aching heart was also giving her hard time breathing. She released an exasperating breath, catching the attention of Jae Hyo and Youngmin. She clenched her chest tightly, closing her eyes, as she winced in pain. What's happening? I feel like dying…

Youngmin stood up in reaction to Min Ah's and Jae Hyo immediately held her shoulders. She let out a small shriek, catching everyone's attention now. She struggled in her seat, shaking her head vigorously. Tears began to stream down her cheeks since she couldn't hold it any longer. She was suffering because of the pain in her heart. She wanted it to stop.

Jiyoon, Heechul and Woohyun quickly went to Min Ah's side. Their faces were showing fear and concern. What was happening to their dear brunette? What has she done to deserve this? They felt like breaking seeing Min Ah crying out those salty tears.

Jiyoon couldn't take it anymore. Even though she was branded as emotionless, she still cared for her best friend. She reached for her hands and caressed them tightly. She looked into Min Ah's amber orbs, with eyes saying that she was there for her. She pulled her into a hug and rubbed her back for comfort. Her actions seemed to calm Min Ah down, but she was still sobbing. Letting out a sigh, Jiyoon fished out a canister from her pocket and sprayed something on Min Ah's face. "Sleep tight, Min Ah…" she muttered.

The canister contained sleeping gas, which can knock even the wildest person out. Min Ah slowly closed her eyes and fell asleep on Jiyoon's chest.

"Good thinking, Jiyoon-sshi," Heechul-soensaengnim said, patting Jiyoon's shoulder.

"Soensaengnim, what just happened?" Woohyun asked, clasping his hands together. "I thought Min Ah only lose her memories, so why was she suffering like that."

"It was an unbearable sight," Taeyeon said, flinging her hair. "It's my first time to see an amnesia victim to have heart problems. Besides, I know Min Ah-sshi is a healthy person despite being a trouble-maker." Though she sounded harsh and strong, deep down, she was worried for the brunette. Taeyeon considered Min Ah as a friend-rival.

Everyone in class began whispering, agreeing to what Taeyeon said. Heechul nodded and admitted that Min Ah was a strange case. He thought of the possibility that this was not only the work of a Mind-Erasing Alice. There was something more.

Jae Hyo and Youngmin stared at the sleeping brunette on Jiyoon's chest. "Jae Hyo, what do you think of this?" the blonde animal-lover asked.

"Hn… How should I know?" Jae Hyo clenched his fists inside his pockets. He was frustrated at the fact that he wasn't able to do anything during Min Ah's time of pain. He was right beside her and yet, he just watched her.

Youngmin put a gentle hand on his shoulders, flashing him his sapphire blue eyes. He smiled weakly and turned to look at the brunette again. "It's not your fault, Jae Hyo. Don't think that you're useless."

The fire-user drowned himself in silence. He lowered his head and gritted his teeth. Despite of what his best friend said, he still felt miserable.