Jae Suk, The Matchmaker

Running Man Members Kim Jong Kook And Song Ji Hyo Are Dating?

When Running Man first started, Jae Suk attempted to create a loveline between Dong Hoon and Ji Hyo. The annoying childish guy with the blunt beautiful girl was sure to become the viewers favorite pairing. Since the show was competing against a whole list of incredibly good shows, the PDs gave it their all; popular celebrity guests, breathtaking landmarks and of course, many many lovelines. Monday couple, HaHyo couple, Song Song couple, for god's sake, even SukHyo couple existed! The only couple that was non-existent at the time was the SpartAce couple. 

Why?

Simply because Jong Kook and Ji Hyo felt like they weren't comfortable enough to be called a couple, even if it was fake. The PDs and the writers had asked their opinion first before writing the guidelines for each episode. 

Three years ago, on a july morning in an SBS office.

"Ha Dong Hoon-ssi, you must know that since we are in the early stages of Running Man, if we don't appeal to viewers of all ages, our show might get cancelled. We called you today to ask for your permission to create a loveline between you and Song Ji Hyo-ssi." Jo PD said, as he took out a contract for Haha to read.

"W-with Song Ji Hyo? Ah, I'd be more than happy." Haha stuttered. Jo PD gave him a weird look. Haha cleared his throat as he tried to clear the misunderstanding.

"I-I mean, if that's what it takes to ensure Running Man's spot on TV, I'm willing to sacrifice my bachelor image!" explained Haha, hoping he wasn't found out by the PD. 

He was ecstatic to be coupled up with Ji Hyo. HaHyo couple meant that he got to spend time with her and people wouldn't feel suspicious about them since they'd think it was only for the show. There would also be more viewers! It was a win-win situation for everyone.

Except that HaHyo couple was not the only idea the writers had in mind to boost the ratings.

Monday couple and Song Song couple would also make their first appearance soon.

Prior to Haha's arrival, Gary and Joong Ki were scheduled to meet the show's producers. They had been told the same thing, that without a loveline, it'd be difficult to keep people's interest in Running Man. Since they were variety show newcomers, they immediately accepted the offer and signed the contract. It stated that unless one of two parties were in a public relationship, the fake couple was to remain on the show. They didn't think about the consequences and walked out of the building with a light heart, knowing that they would be interacting more with their stunning castmate.

The producers thought they'd get the same answer from Jong Kook but they were wrong.

"Kim Jong Kook-ssi, would you mind it if we created a couple involving you and Song Ji Hyo-ssi?" Jo PD had already handed out a pen to Jong Kook and was waiting for him to write his initials on the line. He was about to thank him for his help when Jong Kook refused his proposal.

"I'm sorry, Jo PD, but I'd rather not. It would put me and Ji Hyo in an awkward situation." Jong Kook told him, feeling a bit guilty for holding back the show.

"Would it be too indiscreet to ask why?" attempted Jo PD.

"Well, it's been awhile since I saw Ji Hyo and it'd be very awkward for either of us to act comfortable around the other, let alone talk..." mumbled Jong Kook, trying to hide the fact that he wasn't outgoing enough to pull it off.

"Ah, yes, I understand. It's fine, we accept your decision. Thank you for taking your time for us. We'll see you on monday!" Jo PD said, as he bowed to Jong Kook.

A few hours later, Ji Hyo arrived and was asked the same questions. Even though Jong Kook already refused, Jo PD still wanted to ask Ji Hyo's opinion. Maybe if she accepted the offer, Jong Kook would change his mind too. 

"Uh...I think two couples is enough." chuckled Ji Hyo.

"Haha, it's funny how you and Jong Kook-ssi both declined. May I know the reason?" Jo PD was very persistant. He didn't want to be just a PD. He hoped to become Ji Hyo, and all the others, friend, too. To build up a good working relationship, there had to be friendship first.

"Ah, uh...Let's just say that I am not a good enough actress to fake an interest in Jong Kook-ssi.'' lied Ji Hyo. What she said came out harsher than she had hoped. She only meant that if the feelings weren't there, why force it?

"I completely understand. Thank you, though, for clearing your schedule for us. Goodbye." said Jo PD, as he greeted her.

Two days later.

Everyone had arrived and they were chichatting among themselves, when they saw Ji Hyo running in the distance and waving to them. Haha stopped what he was doing and his jaw dropped in awe. 

"How can she be so beautiful?" wondered Haha out loud. He had the impression that everything was in slow motion. 

"Yah, wipe your drool, Dong Hoon-ah." teased Jong Kook, aware that his dongsaeng had a crush on their female castmate.

When Ji Hyo arrived, Jae Suk immediately tried to match her with someone.

"You know, Ji Hyo-ssi, there are a lot of men who like you here." Jae Suk eyed Haha.

Ji Hyo gave a small laugh, while flipping her hair. Joong Ki noticed Haha swallowing the lump in his throat while sweating profusely. 

"What's wrong, Haha hyung? Why are you nervous?" asked a suspicious Joong Ki.

"Uh...what? why? What are you talking about? Weren't we talking about this, Jong Kook hyung?" replied Haha, trying to divert everyone's attention to Jong Kook.

Jong Kook had a puzzled look on his face. He gave Haha a subtle what-the-hell-are-you-saying look.

"Jong Kook is lonely these days." Suk Jin said, as he looked at Ji Hyo.

"He is always the one in a loveline!" added Haha, relieved his tactic worked.

Jong Kook laughed along with his castmates.

"Let's see if the birth of the Jong Kook-Ji Hyo couple is possible." began Jae Suk as he gestured for them to step in front of the camera.

"Could both of you look in the other's eyes?" he continued, while stepping back.

It only lasted 1 second and both of them burst in laughter. It was just so awkward, they couldn't help themselves.

"I guess we'll forget about this couple then." concluded Jae Suk, faking sadness and disappointment.

As they walked into today's landmark, the Gwacheon National Science Museum, accompanied by the guests, Jessica and Nichkhun, Haha whispered something to Jae Suk.

 

 

----------------------------------------------

This chapter was based on episode 4 of running man :)