The Day A Flame Died And Another Lit Up

Running Man Members Kim Jong Kook And Song Ji Hyo Are Dating?

"He knew it all along." Jong Kook whispered, dejected.

He couldn't believe Gary found out his feelings for Ji Hyo and did nothing about it. All this time, Gary bottled up his feelings and his insecurities about his relationship with Ji Hyo. He was ashamed of himself for being such a bad hyung, trying to get Ji Hyo to move on when Gary wasn't even ready yet to forget about her.

"J-Jong Kook oppa...?" Ji Hyo stuttered.

"I know that you have a thing for Jong Kook hyung, and he, the same. Don't deny it, I know you better than you know yourself." Gary said, despair and sorrow in his voice.

Jong Kook felt like he betrayed his dongsaeng's trust; he couldn't face him so he left using the backdoor. With each step he took, his heart felt heavier and heavier. He didn't deserve to be called a friend, friends don't steal each others girlfriends.

"Oppa..." Ji Hyo was overcome with guilt.

"I-I didn't mean for it to happen...I really don't know why I...I never meant to hurt anyone..." Ji Hyo sniffled.

"I don't blame you Ji Hyo! Don't go thinking that." Gary cleared the misunderstanding.

How could Gary be so forgiving? It made her feel even worse about herself. How could she hurt such a warm and soft-hearted guy?  

"Why? I hurt you. If I were you, I'd be so angry and mad." Ji Hyo managed to say through her sobs.

Gary's heart ached to see her crying because of him. Seeing people cry was his weakness, Ji Hyo's tears felt like he got hit by a bullet. He did what a sensible young man would do around a sad lady, he hugged her.

"I still love you Ji Hyo. Even more now than before." he murmured, resting his chin on her shoulder.Ji Hyo cried even harder. She didn't know how to tell him her feelings weren't reciprocated though he already knew. She just couldn't find the courage to say it herself.

"Come on. I'll drive you home." he said, as he took her hand and lead her out of the restaurant.

The ride home was quiet. He could hear Ji Hyo sniffle and blow her nose now and then. None of them talked, their conversation earlier was still stuck in their mind. They eventually arrived at Ji Hyo's appartment. She wiped her stained cheeks and cleared .

"Thanks for the ride, oppa." she uttered, without sparing him a look, as she left his car.

As soon as she was out of sight, Gary breathed out. He turned off the engine and rested his head on the steering wheel. 

It took such a long time for the two of them to become friends then lovers and in the matter of a few months, it was over. Building a relationship takes a lot of patience and love, but breaking it takes no time at all. Gary still couldn't process the fact that they were officially over, with no chance of reconciliation.

He stayed in his car for a few minutes, before taking a long drive to calm his broken heart.

Meanwhile, Jong Kook was at home, wondering whether or not to call Gary. He had been staring at his phone for awhile when he suddenly received a text from Ji Hyo.

Oppa...Can you come over? We need to talk.

He replied immediately.

I'll be there in a few minutes.

And 15 minutes later, he was standing in front of her house, nervously playing with his fingers.

He already knew that the main topic of their talk would be her and Gary. His betrayal was a big weight on his shoulders, he had to get rid of it as soon as possible. He had to meet up with Gary before tomorrow, they had to talk no matter how late it was, or else he wouldn't be able to sleep. His worries continued eating him up, as he waited for Ji Hyo to open the door. When she finally did, the Song Ji Hyo in front of him looked devastated.

Her eyes were puffy and her nose was red from crying too much. He was alarmed, her conversation with Gary must've taken a big toll on her. He cupped her face and asked her "What's wrong?". She looked into his eyes and more tears slid down her cheeks. He embraced her shaking body as he shut the door with his foot. They stayed unmoving, him waiting for her to regain her composure, her, trying to stop her mind from drifting back to Gary's words. She took a deep breath and walked to her couch with Jong Kook following closely behind.

"Gary oppa told me he didn't blame me..." Ji Hyo started, as she hid her face in her hands, her shoulders slumped down.

"...That's just the kind of guy Gary is. Selfless, thoughtful and caring.", Jong Kook murmured, feeling worse than before.

Ji Hyo had a sad smile on her face. She agreed with Jong Kook. Gary was the one who always gave in their relationship. He often surprised her with gifts and special events. On the other hand, she repeatedly forgot their 1 month/5 months/10 months anniversary. Gary never held a grudge; she wasn't nicknamed Mong Ji for nothing. 

"What's going to happen now?" Ji Hyo asked, uncertain about the Monday Couple's future on Running Man.

Today was a day high on emotions for the Ace. She was tired, she wanted to sleep then wake up the next morning and realize that the past two months were only a figment of her imagination. How she wished she could go back to being Gary's girl! At that time, everything was simple; Jong Kook was in love with Han Ji Min and she didn't have any romantic feelings for him. 

"I have no idea... I guess you'll have to talk to the pds." Jong Kook told her truthfully.

"Will you come with me tomorrow morning? You'll be my mental support." Ji Hyo requested of the Commander.

"Sure, anything for you Ji Hyo-ah." Jong Kook replied, with a reconforting smile.

"Thanks. You don't know how much I owe you for the past months. You're a really great friend Jong Kook oppa." Ji Hyo said sincerely, as she stared into his eyes.

You're more than a friend to me oppa...But I don't think now is a good time to tell you what I feel for you...

"I'd do anything for you Ji Hyo-ah. You...you mean a lot to me..." he confessed.

"I know you have a lot to deal with right now...But..." Jong Kook began, his heart pounding against his chest.

"I'm all ears." Ji Hyo said, giving him her full attention after he listened to her blabber for almost 30 minutes.

"This morning, before Kwang Soo and I saw you in the cosmetics street, I made a promise. And I'm about to carry it out." Jong Kook mustered enough courage to  let her know the love he has been feeling for her.

"What is it?" she asked completely clueless.

"Are you ready?" he asked, the question actually directed to himself.

"Yes." Ji Hyo answered, curious.

"Are you sure you're ready? It might give you the biggest shock of your life. Are you sure 100% ready?" Jong Kook insisted, trying to delay his confession due to his nervousness.

"Oppa! Seriously, just tell me now, or I'm not talking to you ever aga-" Ji Hyo shouted, irritated.

"I like you. A lot." Jong Kook finally admitted.

"I told you I'm ready! Would you please tell me...what...?" she began, stopping in the middle of her sentence.

Did she hear right? Jong Kook said he liked her? Not a little but a lot?!

Ji Hyo was speechless. She was flabbergasted. She was feeling all tingly inside; there were butterflies in her stomach. Those three words, she had been waiting for him to say it for a long time. She imagined his confession would take place in more romantic circumstances but hearing him say he more-than-liked her was enough. Nevermind the roses, the diner with candles or the singing she had in mind, she was overcome with joy. She wanted to jump on him and kiss him after hiding her feelings for so long. 

But.

Could she accept his confession after today's events?

"K-Kim Jong Kook..." she stammered, overwhelmed by his confession.