No One Messes With The Ace

Running Man Members Kim Jong Kook And Song Ji Hyo Are Dating?

Jong Kook returned to reality when he felt his phone buzz in his pocket. He stared into the distance and saw Ji Hyo's car dangerously speeding. He backed away from the sidewalk and heard her honking. She got out of her car, almost forgetting to pull out the keys and quickly dashed towards him. She panted as she apologized for arriving late. He told her it was fine, that he was used to it but he couldn't understand why it took her so long to prepare herself when the before and after looked the same. She elbowed him in the ribs and laughed sarcastically, while shooting daggers with her eyes. Jong Kook gulped in nervousness and changed the subject by urging her to go see the PDs. They entered the building, greeted the numerous employees and celebrities on their way to work and took an elevator. Jong Kook tried to distract Ji Hyo's thoughts from the serious, and perhaps, career-changing talk she was about to have with the man responsible for her success in the variety show.

By the time they reached the 14th floor, Ji Hyo was no longer talking, she had her blank face on. She was apprehensive about the outcome of her request. Would the producers end the Monday Couple for her and Gary's sake? They probably wouldn't, considering the fact that it is what pulls in most viewers.

Jong Kook patted her shoulder and guided her to the show's creator's office. She hesitated before knocking on the door. After five minutes and a lot of encouragement from Kookie, Ji Hyo fearlessly grabbed the handle and turned it. The strenght she put in that simple action caused the door to slam open, startling all the staff inside the office. Ji Hyo bowed in apology, embarassed, while Jong Kook chortled softly. She told Jo PD she had something very important she wanted to tell him. Fearing a sudden announcement of departure from another member of the show, Jo PD panicked. The anxiety and stress he felt when Gary told him that he was quitting the show out of the blue is a memory he'll never forget. Upon the official announcement issued by the Leessang member a year ago, Jo PD went into a state of confusion. For the whole week following Gary's variety show withdrawal, Jo PD couldn't sleep or eat, his mind constantly trying to find a way to make the show complete without its resident Monday boyfriend. He had thought about finding a new permanent member but he knew the viewers wouldn't accept it so soon. How could anyone replace Gaelly? No one would ever be able to fill in his spot on the show! Fortunately, a few days after the foolish man's decision to halt all variety show activities, another report was issued, making everyone heave in relief. He wasn't ready to deal with all the stress that would come from Ji Hyo's withdrawal!

The Ace, noticing his sudden paleness immediately cleared the misunderstanding, calming his palpitating heart. She went straight to her goal and told him it was a personal matter. He got the hint and asked of his subordinates to leave the room. Jong Kook gave the woman one last squeeze on the shoulder and left as well.

"What's the matter, Ji Hyo-ssi?" the PD asked, gesturing her to take a seat.

"I don't know how to tell you this...I'm not sure you'll be able to take it well, PD-nim." Ji Hyo started, fumbling with her fingers.

"What could be worse than you leaving our show?...You're not leaving, right?" Jo PD's chuckles stopped abruptly.

"No, but what I'm about to tell you might have the same effect on the ratings as me leaving." Ji Hyo said truthfully.

Jo PD looked at her quizzically and his palms started sweating.

"I'd like to end the Monday Couple." Ji Hyo dropped a bomb. How could he possibly end the second most famous loveline in the history of variety shows, the first being Jong Kook-Eun Hye couple?

"What? Why, all of a sudden?" The show's ratings would suffer a big blow from the Monday Couple's breakup. Jo PD cared about the Running Man members but he couldn't afford to lose any viewers. His and his co-workers' jobs were on the line here! He had a family to feed, he couldn't be mr. Nice guy and give in to the actress' demand.

"We decided to separate...in real life." She answered, a wry smile etched on her face.

Jong Kook, being a curious man, eavesdropped during the whole exchange between the two people. It's a good thing that Jo PD's office was a bit secluded from all the other worker's cubicles or he would've earned himself a few questionning looks. 

"Ah...Did you part in an amicable way?" Jo PD asked, hoping for an answer that would lessen his guilt about refusing her request.

"Uh...Well...I guess we can say that." Ji Hyo mumbled, looking for the right words.

"If that's the case then you have to understand that I can't end the Monday Couple, Ji Hyo-ssi. I know it's insensitive of me but I hope you can find somewhere in your heart to forgive me." Jo PD said, apologetic. 

Ji Hyo sighed loudly, nodding her head slowly while looking at her clasped hands. She expected that answer from him, the show came first, after all. She didn't blame him, his job was to ensure that his program brought laughter to its many fans, not attend to her every whim.

"It's alright PD-nim, you don't have to feel sorry for what you're doing. It's my fault, I let my feelings get in the way." Ji Hyo said with a faint smile.

"No, I should be taking the blame. I was the one who suggested a loveline between you and Gary-ssi. I was aware of the consequences that might arise if one of you started dating. Plus, I made you both sign a contract stating that both of you were to remain a couple on the show, unless your relationship with your partner was made public. So, I'm actually the bad guy." Jo PD chuckled lightly, he didn't want to make Ji Hyo feel even worse than she was already feeling after her breakup.  

"Is there anything you'd like me to do to make up for my harsh decision?" Jo PD asked as he took out his notebook.

"Since Monday Couple can't be erased from the show, can you at least put Gary oppa and I in different teams for a few weeks? Or would that be too much too ask?"

"No problem. How many weeks do you need? Four?" He continued as he jotted down what she just said.

"Yes, four would be nice."

After a few minutes, Ji Hyo came out of the office contented with the outcome of her meeting with the PD. Four weeks apart from her make-believe boyfriend was plenty enough to heal her heart even though they'd still have to interact with each other to avoid any suspicion from their members. But being in different teams already lifted a huge burden off her shoulders; their screen time together would lessen a lot which means that she wouldn't have to act as if everything between them was perfectly fine.

"How did it go?" Jong Kook asked as they both walked towards the elevators.

"Monday Couple will not break up." Ji Hyo told him casually, as she eyed her watch.

9:37.

"Omo, oppa! We're late!" Ji Hyo exclaimed as she repeatedly pressed the down arrow button.

"Where are all the elevators when you need them?!" She said, frustrated.

She hated being late to her recordings, it made her look like as if she didn't care to the public eye. Some nasty antifans of hers were always waiting for the right moment to take incriminating pictures of her, they would hide and wait hours if that meant they could bring her down. She had her fair amount of antifans after her most mature and controversial project, A Frozen Flower, hit the theaters a few years ago. The loneliness and rejection she felt was unbearable and she didn't want to relive that anytime soon. A small mistake from her could cost her entire life's work. The rumors antifans made up were like cancer, once it spread it was hard to control it and she knew better than anyone else that they could ruin even a top star's career. So arriving late was out of the question.

"You know what that means Ji Hyo?" Jong Kook grinned widely, a mischievous look appearing on his face.

She tilted her head as he stared straight at what he was talking about.

The staircase.

"Yah, you're crazy ! You think I'll walk down 14th floors with those legs of mine?! They'll be sore by the time I reach the 7th floor and I won't be able to film Running Man! Not everyone is a fitness monster like you!" She cried out, wide-eyed and unbelieving. 

"What? Fitness monster? That's the silliest insult I've heard!" Jong Kook burst in laughter, as he pushed her towards the staircase and opened the door.

"If we wait for the elevator, it'll take forever, Ji Hyo-ah! Man up, it'll warm up your muscles for the intense running that we'll have to do today!" Jong Kook started going down the stairs while Ji Hyo pouted, unwilling to follow him.

"Aish! You don't want to follow me? Fine!" Jong Kook grumbled as he threw her over his shoulders forcefully. Ji Hyo was stunned for a few seconds, she didn't think he'd use such drastic measures! 

"YAH! YAH! YAH! Put me down!" Ji Hyo shouted as she grabbed onto the hem of his shirt, her head hanging upside down.

"Oh, so now you'll walk?" Jong Kook teased and laughed maniacally.

"YES!" Ji Hyo continued as she kneed him in the chest accidentally.

He gently put her down and she ran down the stairs like a lost child would run to his mother.

14 flights of stairs and 3 minutes later, a panting and sweaty Ji Hyo greeted her oppas while catching her breath. She fanned herself with her hands as she stood in line in front of the already rolling cameras.

"Chun Sung Im! Why do you look so bad?" Haha asked insensitively, not realizing that his question was formulated unpleasingly.

"From the 14th floor...Jong Kook oppa...Slow elevators..." She tried to say full sentences but she was too physically drained.

Kwang Soo, being the sharpest tool in the the shed, understood what his noona wanted to say. He had the highest IQ of all the other members despite the stupidity he often showed on Running Man.

"Jong Kook hyung made her walk from the 14th floor to the 1st floor!" Kwang Soo exclaimed, astounded.

"What?!" Everyone shouted at the same time, while Kwang Soo cursed the Tiger with Haha. He could finally express his discontentment towards the Commander without being smacked in the head by the hyung! 

As Jong Kook made his way towards his co-stars, the Giraffe and Haroro immediately greeted him happily and smiled warmly. 

"Yah, Kim Jong Kook, how come you look like you've just freshened up? Did you take the stairs too or the elevator?" Jae Suk asked as he wondered how could still look as fresh as a cucumber after such an intense "training".

"Of course I took the elevator! Who's stupid enough to take the stairs?" Jong Kook snickered as he eyed Ji Hyo.

Her leg went flying towards his face, if he didn't have fast reflexes he would have a bruise on his cheek, which is exactly what Ji Hyo wanted. He could see the anger in her eyes and feared her a little. She yanked his hair and subdued him to the ground, as he yelled in pain. She kneed him in the and poked his ribs. She could hear roaring laughter in the lobby. Kwang Soo took advantage of the situation, tugged on his hair with one hand and covered his mouth with the other hand. He couldn't let Jong Kook hear his laughter or else, as soon as the PDs yelled cut, he would get beaten up until he was unrecognizable! 

When Ji Hyo stopped her display of anger, the Commander was bruised and battered, his shirt was falling down from his shoulder, as a result of the intense streching of the fabric by the scary lady. He quietly retreated to his spot next to Suk Jin, ashamed.

"Yah, if you mess with me one more time, you won't be able to sleep with both of your eyes closed." The Ace warned him, in an icy tone as her male co-stars laughed once again.