Return

Running Man Members Kim Jong Kook And Song Ji Hyo Are Dating?

Gary finally arrived in Korea after 12 hours of flying.

During his time in Paris, he had thought a lot about Ji Hyo. Even though he let her go, he couldn't stop thinking about her, about them. He wasn't a stranger to sleepless nights and dark circles. The first week, he barely slept, his mind clouded with Ji Hyo. He believed that the distance that separated them would heal his heart. However, wherever he went, he would see things that reminded him of her. Some days he would be fine and Ji Hyo-free but other days, he couldn't function properly. Every night before going to sleep, he would check his phone and twitter to see if she left him a message. Nothing. As the day passed by, he got used to it and started slowly getting better. 

Until he saw a picture of Jong Kook and Ji Hyo surrounded by a crowd of fans. They were going in an italian restaurant. He was extending his hand to her and she had a smile on her face. In Gary's eyes, it looked like a public love confession. 

He was devastated. He couldn't believe Ji Hyo would move on so quickly...and with his best friend! He hoped their breakup would affect her as much as him, which would at least prove that she did love him a lot. It was selfish of him, but he couldn't do anything about it. He started searching the internet for any articles that were related to the SpartAce couple. 

Nothing came out of his research. He had a small glimmer of hope. He held onto that glimmer of hope as if his life depended on it. He wanted to confirm with his two eyes that nothing was going on between Ji Hyo and Jong Kook. Then, he would be able to rest with a peaceful heart.

Those two months away from her were painfully long. He was anxious about his return, he didn't know what he would say to Ji Hyo. Apologize? Tell her he still loves her? Those thoughts were still lingering in his mind up until the moment he saw his Running Man family waving a "Welcome back Peaceful Gary!" banner.

"HYUNG!" Kwang Soo yelled at the top of his lungs.

His voice was barely audible because of the cheers and shrieks of hundreds of fangirls.

Gary smiled politely and waved to them. Never had it crossed his mind that so many people would be there just for him. Before, he wasn't the popular one in Leessang, Gil was. He was your average-looking guy,  only a few people knew the name Kang Gary. Thanks to Running Man, his popularity soared, he became well-known for his witty remarks and cringeworthy pickup lines. Running Man meant a lot to him, it gave him lots of opportunity to meet new people...and one particular person: Ji Hyo.

Gary took off his sunglasses to look for Ji Hyo. He was sure she wouldn't come but there she was, more beautiful than ever. Gary wished they were the only one in the airport so he can run up to her and kiss her. Since life is not like a korean drama, she would probably not kiss him back and pretend their break up never happened.

A few bodyguards escorted him and the Running Man members to their car.

Jong Kook helped him load his luggage onto Jae Suk's car while Kwang Soo took care of his carry on bag.

"How was Paris?" Jae Suk asked, happy to see his dongsaeng.

"It was beautiful, the landscapes, the shops, the food...Everything was breathtaking! J'aime Paris!" Gary exclaimed, as he showed off the little french he picked up during his stay in the city of lights.

"Did you buy any souvenirs for us?" Haha asked, anticipating an expensive bottle of wine.

"Yes I did. I bought each you guys a small replica of the Eiffel tower with your names engraved." Gary said, as he began ping his bag.

"Show it to us later! Let's go eat first!" Suk Jin said, as the others agreed.

The ride to the restaurant was very loud, though Ji Hyo was pretty quiet. She barely uttered a word since she saw Gary. The others noticed the uncomfortable aura between the Monday Couple and decided to not to point it out.

"Let them solve their problem by themselves." Jae Suk told Suk Jin and Haha before meeting up with the Kook-Hyo-Soo trio.

At the restaurant, figuring out the seating was hard. The Suk Brothers sat next to each other, then Gary sat down. Was Ji Hyo supposed to sit next to him? For a few seconds, no one moved. Jong Kook grabbed the chair beside Gary and sat down.

"Ah my dongsaeng!" Jong Kook exclaimed, patting Gary's back with an awkward smile.

"Thank you oppa." Ji Hyo whispered as she took a seat between him and Kwang Soo.

They continued chatting for about three hours when Suk Jin got a call from his wife and had to leave reluctantly.

Little by little the Running Man family went home. The only ones left were coincidentally Jong Kook, Gary and Ji Hyo.

It was time for a serious talk.

"I'm going to go to the washroom. I'll be back soon." Jong Kook said.

"OPPA! WHY?!?" Ji Hyo wanted to scream, tugging on his sleeve as he left without looking back.

A few minutes passed by with none of them speaking up.

"Ji Hyo..." Gary finally broke the ice, his eyes fixing the ground, that suddenly became so interesting.

"Neh, oppa..." Ji Hyo looked at him, her voice firm but hesitant.

"It was hard those two months, I-" Gary started.

"It was hard for me too oppa." Ji Hyo cut him off, not wanting to hear about his self-pitying.

The restaurant was slowly emptying of its customers, the smell of grilled pork belly was strong.

Jong Kook was hiding behind a pillar near their table and could here everything they were saying to each other. He could see Ji Hyo trying to be brave and Gary doing the same. 

Ji Hyo swallowed the lump in , took her courage in her own hands and asked him the question that had been burning her tongue for awhile now.

"Why?" she demanded in an hushed tone, her eyes were slowly starting to get misty.

"I seriously don't get it. We were fine, we were so happy. I don't understand why you-" Ji Hyo mumbled, her voice shaky.

Gary took her hand in his own and looked at her.

"It's true. We were perfectly fine. You were happy, I was happy. But I felt like something was missing." Gary said.

"What...?" Ji Hyo asked, curious but nervous.

"Your undivided attention and unconditional love for me." Gary replied as he released her hands.

"I've always paid attention to you! We spent a lot of our free time together. Was that not enough?" Ji Hyo risked, aware she was on dangerous grounds now.

"That's not what I mean." Gary sighed, as he ruffled his own hair.

"Then what?" Ji Hyo asked, irritated by the fact that Gary took so much time to get to his point.

Gary gazed into her doe eyes and let it all out.

"Jong Kook hyung." Gary finally managed to say.

"He's the reason why we had to break up."