Playing Along

Running Man Members Kim Jong Kook And Song Ji Hyo Are Dating?

"So you really want to do this, huh?" 

"Yes. I think it's best that way."

Jong Kook had seen the articles about Ji Hyo and her CEO. He was relatively calm when Kwang Soo texted him the headline first thing in the morning. He wasn't angry at the fans who took the pictures or at the magazines who depicted him as a third wheel. The truth was that he couldn't believe how lucky he was! There was finally an opportunity for him to let the whole world know that he was in a relationship with the gorgeous Song Ji Hyo!

He could already imagine the scene: first, they'd schedule a press conference and then, as the reporters asked them how they found out they were in love with each other, they'd hold hands and reveal their love story. When they'd leave the conference room, there would be paparazzis snapping pictures of their loving actions towards one another and they woud try to shield their faces from them. Like a gentleman, he would open the door for her and there would be lots of cheers from the SpartAce fans around them!

He was ecstatic when he read Ji Hyo's first text: she thought the same way as him! No more hiding their knowing gazes and tender touches when filming Running Man. They could now be openly affectionate!

However, the whole situation changed when another text came. Ji Hyo was going to have a conference but it wouldn't be to reveal their relationship. She was going to lie to the medias and tell them she was seeing her CEO.

"Why?" Jong Kook had asked, puzzled by her sudden change of mind.

She had explained the hole in their otherwise perfect "plan". The fans. But mostly, the antis. She went on and on about how their couple status would negatively impact the show and etc. Jong Kook had frowned upon hearing her say how scared she was because of the power the antis had on celebrities. He wanted to hold her tightly and make her worries disappear but a few miles and dozens of paparazzis separated them at the moment and all he could do was tell her that no matter what she chose to do, he would be right behind her, supporting her choices.

Ji Hyo choked up when she realized how much Jong Kook loved her. He put her best interest at heart. He didn't care that she was sacrificing their relationship for a job because he knew how much it meant, not only to her but to the other members too. 

And so, an hour later, there she was, leaving the conference room, with the CEO's arm awkwardly wrapping her shoulders protectively while the cameras' flashes blinded them. She faked a smile here and there and so did Baek Chang Joo as they walked to his car. Onlooking citizens yelled "Kiss her! Kiss her!" and a startled Ji Hyo stared at them with her trademark blank expression. 

"We need to sell it to them, Ji Hyo-ssi." Chang Joo said through his teeth. If he wasn't directly involved in the situation, he would've believed what he saw in the papers; the pictures were pretty incriminating! He wasn't exactly okay with Ji Hyo's way of handling the situation but it seemed like it was the only way she would feel at peace. He hesitantly agreed to her request but warned her that their "relationship" had to end soon. The sooner, the better. He didn't want people to think that he was a sleazy CEO who dated his own workers or that Ji Hyo had sleeped her way to the top. 

"Hm." She nodded slightly as a signal to let him kiss her. She clenched her fist and gritted her teeth as she shut her eyes. It's not that she was disgusted by Chang Joo, it's just that it felt wrong and highly inappopriate for her to share a kiss with someone whom she wasn't romantically involved with. But then again, she was an actress and she had kissed plenty of actors with whom she wasn't on friendly terms. She relaxed her facial muscles the best she could and put on the most blissful face she had.

Chang Joo's lips gently pressed against the back of her hand, which he held up high for every camera to see. Ji Hyo had expected them to lock lips but they didn't. She was relieved. The older man had seen how uncomfortable she looked when she waited for him to kiss her; he didn't want to traumatize her for life so he simply kissed her hand. Moreover, he had a girlfriend...which he would have a lot of explaining to do.

As they drove off in Chang Joo's black mercedes, Ji Hyo sighed in deeply.

"Are you alright, Ji Hyo-ssi?" He looked straight ahead of him.

"Yes, thank you for going through all that crap for me, CEO-nim. I don't know how I could ever repay you for your understandment and kindness."

"Keep on being a great actress and a thoughtful woman." He smiled as she promptly nodded. "That's all I ask of you."

"I will not disappoint you, CEO-nim." Ji Hyo looked at him earnestly. Her phone buzzed as he was about to say something. She had new messages from Suk Jin and five missed calls from Han Ji Min.

And Jae Suk. And Joong Ki. 

So it begins.


The next morning, Gary woke up in utter chaos. Haha had rung his doorbell repeatedly, while simultaneously knocking on his front door. The rapper slowly slipped on some clothing and opened the door with a yawn.

He went to bed only a few hours ago, despite it being already 10. He had spent all night writing lyrics and recording a short demo for LeeSsang's next album. Inspiration had come to find him at 4 in the morning while he was watching a tragic love story.

"What are you doing here so early?" He asked, rubbing his sleepy eyes.

"Ji Hyo...CEO! She's cheating on you! They admitted they were dating!" Haha shouted as he shoved a magazine in his hyung's face. "Look!"

"They are only rumours, Dong Hoon-ah."

Haha snorted, deaf to what Gary just said. "That woman...!"

Gary rolled his eyes as he flipped through the pages. So what if there was an article about the press conference they had yesterday? Magazines often made things up to grab people's attention. He absentmindedly read the article when his whole body froze. He saw THE picture. He read the caption: "Love is in the air for the newly taken Song Ji Hyo and her prince charming!". 

"How could it be...?"

Today was the day he finally understood what "a picture is worth a thousand words" meant.

It was also the day Ji Hyo broke his heart for the second time.