Letting Go

Running Man Members Kim Jong Kook And Song Ji Hyo Are Dating?

After Ji Hyo calmed down and recovered her cool, she bowed and greeted the guests: Lee Kyung Ku, Kim In Kwon and Ryu Hyun Kyung. As Jong Kook fixed his shirt which now had a plunging neckline, he caught Gary stealing glances at his former girlfriend while Im PD was explaining today's race's rules. He was unusually quiet and he barely laughed at the jokes the others made during the opening. Despite Jae Suk, Haha and Kwang Soo's huge efforts to try to lighten the mood, unspoken tension could be felt. As the PD in charge yelled cut and signalled to the teams to go get changed, Suk Jin walked behind everyone and slung his arm around Gary's shoulders.

"Gary-ah, how are you doing?" The Impala asked as he made casual take with his dongsaeng.

"I'm a bit tired from the trip but other than that, I'm good." Gary answered with a smile plastered on his worn-out face. 

"Tired is not the right word; you look exhausted, Gary-ah! Is something bothering you?" Suk Jin asked, truly concerned about the rapper.

"I've been having some personal issues these days. It seems like God is putting tons of obstacles in my way." Gary inhaled deeply as he rubbed his eyes.

"Ah, well...If you need my help or anything, I'll lend you both of my ears so don't hesitate, okay?" Big Nosed Brother furrowed his eyebrows and patted the younger man's shoulder.

He considered all his dongsaengs as his own children. He was particularly worried about Ji Hyo, Kwang Soo and Gary. They might be ten or more years younger but they behaved like elementary school kids, unable to look after themselves. Suk Jin can't remember how many times he lended his jacket to the forgetful Ji Hyo because she was freezing or had to personally buy and apply pain relief patches for his excessively competitive lanky dongsaeng. Gary was the most troublesome of them all! Even if he was feeling unwell, he wouldn't tell anyone and continue filming until he could no longer stand properly.

Whenever the release date of a Leessang album was nearing, Gary would spend sleepless nights in his recording studio, his only source of energy being instant coffee packets and dried ramen noodles. Jong Kook and Haha had found him unconscious from the lack of sleep more times than they can count on their fingers. To Gary, the word "hospital" was a synonym of home. He had been admitted to the ER so often that he could even give a tour of the place!

"Neh, hyung." Gary replied flatly as he took Suk Jin's jacket and handed it to him.

"Hee Geon-ah, why won't you tell us what's on your heart? We have eyes, we can see that something's wrong between you and Ji Hyo..." Suk Jin thought as he ruffled Gary's hair affectionately.

A few meters in front, Haha, Jong Kook and Ryu Hyun Kyung were happily skipping to their car while Jae Suk chatted with the two other guests. Kwang Soo and Ji Hyo were walking away from the rest in order to have some privacy. Since the opening of the show, Kwang Soo had been constantly bugging her to tell him about the details of her conversation with Jong Kook. She finally gave in after the constant poking and nudging from the younger one. As she recalled what happened between her and the muscled man, Kwang Soo gaped at her, bewildered. He kept on interrupting and teasing her. From afar, Gary could see them hitting each other playfully and laughing wholeheartedly. His heart sank. He quickly looked away, thinking how a few months ago, he would've been able to do that. But now it was different. Sure, he would still have to interact with Ji Hyo for the sake of the show, but it would mean nothing to Gary, since her feelings wouldn't be genuine.

"It's a relief that we're not in the same team today." Gary thought as he waved Suk Jin goodbye and boarded his team's car. He then remembered that he was in Jong Kook's team and his face fell once again. As the rest of his teamates boarded the car, Gary received a text message.

Gary-ah, we're adults so let's be professional today, okay? We'll talk about our personal issues later.

He eyed the Capable One and nodded as Jong Kook gave him an earnest look. He knew that deep down inside, he could never get mad at his hyung for having feelings for Ji Hyo. 

Meanwhile, in the other team's car, Ji Hyo was dozing off thanks to the warm and toasty temperature in the car. Kwang Soo woke her up softly as Suk Jin and made a few jokes with the guest. 

"Ah...Ji Hyo must be tired, she has been filming a drama these days." the Grasshopper said as he gave her a fatherly look in the rear view mirror.

"Her dark circles are no joke! Her cheeks are sunken too!" Kwang Soo exclaimed, faking shock, as he put his hand over his mouth.

"Yah. I'm getting old, I think my age is slowly catching up to me..." Ji Hyo said as she gave her dongsaeng a death glare, while trying to contain herself in front of the older guest.

The three men chuckled lightly as Kwang Soo discreetly patted to his shoulder to tell her to rest her head. She looked at him, touched by his action. She nestled her head in the crook on his neck and the three older men cooed at their cuteness. Of course, that moment was edited, since it would make the usual animosity between the close pair less believable.

The ride to the first mission location was short and animated, thanks to the past friendship between the members and the guests.

As soon as the two teams arrived at the bath house, the producers explained the rules for the first game: towel tugging. 

"You have to make your opponent lose his or her balance by tugging on the towel, but the towel must be around both of your bodies." 

After three rounds, it was up to Gary and Ji Hyo's turn. Their eyes locked for less than ten seconds but within this short period of time, a lot was said. 

Oppa, you know, right? That even though we're not together anymore, you'll always have a special place in my heart...?

Ji Hyo...It hurts me to think that the fun times we've had are already over.

They don't have to be if we stay as friends, oppa.

Friends...that's how we started off as and that's how we'll end up as... I guess friendship is better than nothing, right?

Neh, oppa. So...friends?

Yeah, friends.

The former lovers exchanged a knowing smile and reprised their role as the Monday Couple. 

 

“Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. 
However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go 
and then do it.” 

- Ann Landers

 

 

------ 

Inspired from ep 143 :)