Bottled Dreams 27

Bottled Dreams

After recieving a message from Jongin that Kyungsoo will be back in a few minutes, Junmyeon says he just needs to be alone, to compose himself before going back. He asks Sehun to go upstairs ahead and that he will follow shortly.

Junmyeon then walks around different wards, to the nursery, to the garden, and he just found himself at the topmost floor of the building. It feels nice, he thought. He walks towards the edge of the building, closes his eyes and just lets the cold air touch the tip of his nose. A few moments of silence, he can feel his tears running down his face. Junmyeon's mind is currently a battlefield. At one point he blames himself, then a few minutes later he asks why Kyungsoo needs to get though this hardship, then after a while he asks himself again if he's really worth it for this battle of life Kyungsoo is currently fighting for.

"All problems have its own solution, you know," an unfamiliar voice echoes Junmyeon's ears. He slowly lifts his head to look at the person who owns the voice who seems very comforting.

"It doesn't matter what kind of problem you currently have. It surely have an answer, but it's up to you on how you will handle it." A woman around her 40's approached Junmyeon.

"I have stage 4 cancer, and I stopped taking my medicines and even my chemotherapy. My doctors told me it metastasized already, so everything will be useless. I've been fighting for 14 years, but now that it's coming to an end, acceptance is the only solution." The woman stops and walks closer to Junmyeon and stares at him for a while. Junmyeon thought it feels nice to talk to this stranger, and he siddenly feels safe.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Junmyeon cannot really think of something else to say. The woman shakes her head and pats Junmyeon's cheek to assure him that she's okay.

"I always go here every time I visit my doctor. And every time, I always end up talking to someone. This must be your lucky day!" The woman said and takes Junmyeon's hand in hers again. "Your eyes look confused but happy. I assume, someone you truly love is confined at the hospital?" He asks and Junmyeon quickly nods. "If that person is on recovering phase, consider yourself lucky. Because not all people are given a second life and lastly, that person is lucky to have someone like you. Don't think otherwise. Life doesn't stop here. You have to keep moving forward. You are young, you still have so much time. Make the most out of it." She says and gives her a piece of paper before stepping back.

"I'll go ahead, my dear. If that person wakes up, give that paper to him or her. Don't open it," she instructs. Junmyeon agrees and she waves at him before going back in. Junmyeon stares at the neatly folded paper and slides it in his back pocket. He smiles because even though he didn't get to talk, it feels nice after having the woman's company even just for a short while.


Kyungsoo is here.


A message from Sehun flashes on his phone screen. It's about time to start all over again. But Junmyeon promised himself that this second chapter will be more fun and memorable.

As Junmyeon steps into the room, Kyungsoo's parents are about to leave for the night. Jongin forced them to have a day break so they are sleeping over at a relatives' place. Kyunghan pats Junmyeon's back as they step out of the room.

The room is filled with silence. He looks at Luhan and Jongin first who are both forcing a smile. He then glances at Sehun standing at the foot of the bed and when he moves a bit, he finally sees Kyungsoo still unconscious with several lines and machines attached to him. It is indeed heartbreaking to see him like that. His eyes are swollen, his lips are pale, his skin looks dry but whatever Kyungsoo looks like, he is still the most beautiful person in Junmyeon's eyes.

Sehun points at the chair beside Kyungsoo, and as he steps closer to Junmyeon he drops a he's doing good you do not have to worry about all those machines attached to him. Then Sehun walks towards Luhan and Jongin, asking them to follow him outside to give Junmyeon enough time and space with Kyungsoo.

The silence is deafening. The silence feels like a growing wound and it’s painful. Junmyeon slowly touches Kyungsoo's face and it feels like there’s a strong electricity that flows in his veins. But all the pain, he's taking everything if that's the only way he can feel Kyungsoo in his hands.

"Hey buddy," Junmyeon starts talking. "You will be up soon, right? This is Junmyeon hyung, and I'm right here for you. Always," Junmyeon then breaks the silence with his sobs and heavy breathing. It is indeed very difficult, not knowing if Kyungsoo would even know his name or face. "I love you, and you told me you feel the same way. Your heart had a problem, and your mind decided to compete with it. Your organs are as stupid as you, Kyungsoo." Junmyeon says as he holds his hand tighter. "You might forget me, but I will make you love me again. If I have to do it again, and again, and again, I know I will never get tired asking for your love and affection. Because hey, that's what I'm looking forward to everyday. Your random confessions, your hugs and kisses, your mood swings, your loud annoying voice and even your painful punches, I love those. I love waking up in the morning waiting for you to annoy me because I love everything you do," Junmyeon then moves closer, kissing Kyungsoo's hand. "Now wake up, and let me show you how much I love you," Junmyeon says and a sudden movement from Kyungsoo's hand stops him from crying.

"Hey," Junmyeon says but Kyungsoo remains unresponsive. But despite the unconsciousness, Junmyeon knows Kyungsoo can hear him because their pinky fingers are suddenly entwined.

-

Two days passed and Kyungsoo is still unconscious. The doctors keep on reminding everyone that he is expected to wake up within three days after the operation so there is nothing to worry about. Junmyeon and Luhan are out to run some errands, Jongin went home to get clothes but is on his way back to the hospital, so Kyungsoo's parents are left with Sehun and his special friend, Chanyeol.

"If you guys get hungry there are food at the table or even at the fridge," Kyungsoo's mother keeps on reminding them because Chanyeol keeps on declining the food being offered. "I'm full, thank you," he keeps on repeating until Sehun smacks a bottled soda on Chanyeol's chest. "It's bad to reject such blessings. Take this," Sehun says and Chanyeol cannot do anything about it because Sehun's pout is really irresistable.

"When will Kyungsoo wake up? Will he be okay? Completely well?" Chanyeol asks but Sehun just glances at him and shakes his head. Sehun then explains how Kyungsoo can have short term memory loss and how everything might change of it happens. Most especially with Junmyeon.

"That . Is Junmyeon hyung okay though?" Chanyeol wonders and again, Sehun shakes his head. "It will be hard for Kyungsoo, but it will be more difficult for Junmyeon hyung," Sehun states and right then, Kyungsoo's father starts calling his wife's attention.

"He's moving! He's moving!" Kyunghan exclaims and Sehun quickly drops his food on the table and runs towards Kyunsoo's bed. "Chanyeol call the nurse! Call the doctor!! Be quick!" Sehun screams.

Kyungsoo's feet starts making small movements as well as his hands. After a short while, his head moves slowly from left to right and right when the doctors come in, Kyungsoo's eyes open after three days of being unconscious.

"He will eventually talk to anyone and be able to understand what's happening around him, but please make sure he won't be left alone," Kyungsoo's surgeon says as he observes Kyungsoo's small movements. While the doctors are doing post operative assessment, Sehun excuses himself and Chanyeol in able for them to deliver the good news to their friends. Chanyeol is on the phone with Jongin, and Sehun immediately calls Junmyeon.

"We will be right there in an hour," Junmyeon says and Sehun is still worried because Kyungsoo just woke up, he's not talking or doing anything yet. "So how is he? Is Kyungsoo looking for me? Can you tell him I'll be there in a while?" Junmyeon eagerly asks but Sehun remains quiet. Junmyeon keeps on repeating Sehun's name on the other line, but Sehun is speechless.

"Hyung," Sehun states. "I'm sorry but Kyungsoo feels different. He's emotionless. His eyes are not as expressive as it is, his eyes are sad," Sehun adds.

"Sehun," Junmyeon's voice is suddenly so dry and dark.

"I don't know, hyung. He's not showing any reaction he's just staring at everyone at the room like everyone is a stranger," Sehun says and Junmyeon just sighs and replies, "I'll be there in a while. Thank you."

-

Jongin is trying to talk to Kyungsoo even though they are not allowed to force him to talk. "I missed you, ! Now get up and be healthy! Help me compose songs!" Jongin takes a seat on Kyungsoo's bed but his best friend remains emotionless. Kyungsoo is awake, and from the moment he wakes up, he's not showing any emotion or even a different expression.

"Hyung!" Sehun says as the door swings open. Luhan walks in first, with Junmyeon frozen and stuck at the foot of the room.

Junmyeon walks in after Jongin walks towards him to give him a hug. "Everything will be okay, hyung." Jongin smiles and pats his back. "We're all here for you and Kyungsoo." Jongin promises and Junmyeon flashes a weak smile.

Junmyeon walks towards Kyungsoo who is staring blankly at the window. He looks better now than last night when he left for work. There are lesser medication lines, that's good enough to make sure he's improving.

"Hello," Junmyeon says. "Kyungsoo, do you remember me?" Junmyeon asks but Kyungsoo is not moving from his original position. "I'm here now," Junmyeon keeps on talking, his tears are about betray him, wanting to fall. "Look at me, Kyungsoo," Junmyeon requests but even after saying please, Kyungsoo is not moving at all. Junmyeon is about to give up, he turns his back to wipe his tears away before getting up from Kyungsoo's bed.

Junmyeon walks across the room, sits beside Luhan as he rests his head on his shoulder. Junmyeon feels hopeless and everyone in the room can feel the coldness from what just happened. It was awful. Kyungsoo is not showing any emotion at all, he’s awake, he just stares at everyone and everyone feels like guests.

“Hey darling,” Sooyeon tries to talk to Kyungsoo, clearing a few strands of his son’s hair from his face. Kyungsoo moves and reacts from the intimate touch, and he just stares at the woman in front of her and just sighs. Kyunghan walks beside his wife and take Kyungsoo’s hand in his. “Hey buddy, what’s up?” Kyungsoo’s father asks and still, Kyungsoo is not moving at all.

Junmyeon silently walks out of the room, and he just let his feet drag him to wherever it pleases. While buying a drink from a vendo machine, she saw a familiar face at the nurses’ station. He quickly takes his cup of coffee and runs his way towards the said person.

“Excuse me?” Junmyeon says.

“Hey little man, how are you? You’re still here? How’s the patient you’re visiting?” The woman from the other day asks.

“He’s up. But he’s not responsive to everyone around him. No emotion, no expression. I hope you don’t mind,” Junmyeon stops and offers the cup to the older woman, “Can I ask if you can accompany me for a while?” Junmyeon asks and the woman gladly takes his requests.

Junmyeon guides and woman to the nearest bench available and the woman takes his hand for help. They walk in silence, but the woman just beams at Junmyeon every time their eyes meet.

“What can I do for you?” The woman asks.

“A friend once told me that it would be better to talk to a stranger at times like this to avoid biasness so,” Junmyeon stops when the woman pats his back. “Just tell me everything that’s bothering you. I would love to help,” she says.

Junmyeon eagerly tells the story. His story, Kyungsoo’s story, their story. He describes what is currently happening to Kyungsoo and how much he’s bothered that Kyungsoo might just permanently delete him from his memory. “I’m afraid of the fact that it might happen,” Junmyeon says.

“Everyone is afraid of something. It’s definitely okay to feel that way. No one wants to be forgotten by someone very dear to that person, especially if you have so much memories worth keeping, remember that. Everything happens for a reason and keep this in mind, that there is a reason why you and Kyungsoo meet during this life time,” The woman states.

“Do not be afraid of rejection. Do not be afraid of getting hurt. Life is not full of good things, Junmyeon. If you want to be happy, you have to earn it. Just like success, happiness comes with pain and hardwork.” She says and Junmyeon can now smile even just for a bit. “Never get tired of running after this person no matter how hurt and worn-out you are, alright?” The woman says and Junmyeon agrees.

“Now go back and start getting him back. Don’t waste time,” she says before getting up from her seat. “Lastly, remember the paper I gave you? Give it to him when he starts interacting with you. That’s the best time to give it to him,” she says and steps back. “I have to go, Junmyeon. It was nice talking to you.” The woman says before bidding good bye. Junmyeon didn’t bother asking for her name, but he knows that this woman will always be remembered.

Junmyeon goes back Kyungsoo’s room to see no improvement. Everyone is still there, just casually talking. Kyungsoo is still awake but focused on the television. Junmyeon drags the chair from the dining table and sits beside Kyungsoo. “Sunshine,” Junmyeon states. “It’s so good to see you improving and getting better,” Junmyeon keeps on talking and blabbering unnecessary stories. He suddenly stops and takes Kyungsoo’s hand and wraps in in his. “You love it when I do this. You love asking for your hands to be in mine.” Junmyeon utters and plants a kiss at the back of his palm. Surprisingly, Kyungsoo looks at him and everyone remains silent. Kyungsoo is just staring at Junmyeon, a few blinks and his expression changes for the first time. Junmyeon stops and turns his back to look at the people around for the sudden silence, and right then, Kyungsoo tries talking.

"Why," Kyungsoo’s first word is not even a statement or a name, it is a question. He sounds weak, and his eyes are suddenly in pain. The room is filled with silence with everyone waiting what Kyungsoo's first statement would be. "It hurts," Kyungsoo says and weakly points on his newly operated chest. "Who are you? And why are you hurting me right here?" Kyungsoo asks and from that moment, Junmyeon's world shatters into a million pieces.