Bottled Dreams 16

Bottled Dreams

Jongin is preparing two cups of ramyeon at the kitchen when Luhan appears with two cans of soda on his hands. “I’m bringin the cups over to your room when I’m done,” Jongin states and Luhan just nods and skips his way back to his bedroom. Luhan invited Jongin over because he needs some help with the new song he's been trying to make.

You are the perfect person who can help me. I need comments and suggestions and I know you wouldnt lie to me, Luhan stated when he dropped a call to Jongin the night before that. Kyungsoo and Junmyeon are expected to arrive that afternoon and while waiting for them, Jongin insists that he will prepare cup noodles instead of buying food outside.

"Kyungsoo said they are bringing pizza," Jongin happily exclaims and places the cup noodles at the small counter near Luhan's computer desk.

“Good. I’m really hungry and you’re just too lazy to buy us something to eat,” Luhan teases and Jongin just mocks him since it is somehow true. Luhan suggests that Jongin should go down the unit and buy something to eat from the nearest convenient store but he said cup noodles will be fine even though he knows that cup noodles will never be enough for a hungry stomach.

“Whatever hyung. I’m just really not in the mood to do anything aside from this,” Jongin says and picks up the music sheets on the bed.

“Hey Jongin, can I ask you something not related to what we are doing,” Luhan asks.

“Go ahead,” Jongin replies.

"Have you ever had a girlfriend?" Luhan suddenly asks and Jongin almost choked on his drink.

"Once when I was 16," Jongin admits and Luhan just smiles as a response. "It didn't last long though. She broke up with me because I told her she demands too much from my time," Jongin suddenly starts talking about the girl she used to date and Jongin is unexpectedly spilling a lot of disappointment from his past experience.

"She didn't even bother to apologize and tell you that she would change for the better or something?" Luhan sounds really curious as he joins Jongin on the bed.

"She told me that being her boyfriend means I need to dedicate most of my time to her. I cannot do that! I have Kyungsoo and Sehun and I focus on my studies very well," Jongin states and laughs a little sice he realized how loud he was.

"So do you like someone right now?" Luhan quickly asks and Jongin is taken by surprise and he suddenly freezes. "Hey Jongin, I'm just asking if you are interested with someone right now. If you're uncomfortable answering then it's alright," Luhan says and adds, "Forget it!"

"I do," Jongin replies and Luhan just stares at him, asking him to continue. "What do you want to know about the person?" Jongin asks.

"If that person you currently like suddenly asks you to dedicate your time to her, would you say yes this time?" Luhan asks and Jongin just smiles.

"I would. Not just time, but my life." Jongin states and Luhan just nods and shifts his attention to the music sheets in front of him.

"Well she's lucky," Luhan states.

"Maybe he is," Jongin states and Luhan glances at him.

"He?" Luhan questions and loud sounds coming from the living room ring their ears.

"They're here!" Jongin exclaims and jumps off his bed and leaves Luhan behind to welcome Junmyeon and Kyungsoo back home.

-

Junmyeon is in his room talking to Luhan about their comeback so both Jongin and Kyungsoo are left to clean the kitchen and the dining area. Kyungsoo is just happy narrating stories of how his bottled dreams is almost done and how happy he is just spending time with Junmyeon in general.

Jongin is by the dining table fixing the chairs they used when Junmyeon appears in front of him asking if it’s okay if they send them to their dorm at midnight. Jongin nods in agreement and what surprises him is when Junmyeon smiles back and walks his way towards Kyungsoo who is cleaning the sink. Junmyeon holds Kyungsoo’s waist from behind and peeks over his shoulder and whispers something that left Jongin clueless.

“After cleaning the sink help me with my things okay?” Junmyeon says and Kyungsoo giggles and just replies a silent alright hyung, and Jongin just pretends like it’s not something that bothers him as he watch Junmyeon leave the place as he silently goes back to his room.

Sehun and Jongin might be over protective of Kyungsoo but they have enough reasons why they care too much. The last time Kyungsoo had a severe heart attack was when he was playing basketball during Physical Education and since it was for his final grade, he exerted a lot of effort and his heart failed to cooperate. He was confined at the hospital for a week after that. Kyungsoo cannot get physically tired, he cannot feel strong emotions, it keeps on ringing in Jongin’s ears and no one can simply blame him why he cares a lot; maybe even more than he’s supposed to be.

“You guys seem a lot closer after the vacation,” Jongin observes and from the tone of his voice, Kyungsoo knows something is quite wrong.

“Tell me what’s bothering you,” Kyungsoo replies and stands across Jongin.

“The usual thing. I’m sorry but I can’t help but to worry,” Jongin says and he can see the disappointment in Kyungsoo’s eyes.

Kyungsoo doesn’t know if he should be thankful that his friends which he considers as his brothers’ cares a lot but sometimes, he can no longer breathe; he cannot stand on his own; he cannot feel the sense of independence as he get older and sometimes, it’s just too much.

“I’m old enough to decide for myself,” Kyungsoo says as he bows his head and turns his back to Jongin but before completely leaves his best friend behind, he drops a simple I appreciate it Jongin, thank you.

-

Jongin and Kyungsoo are silent while on their way back to their apartment. Luhan and Junmyeon doesn’t have an idea what to do or say because the environment inside the car is extremely cold. Junmyeon tried to break the ice by narrating how they played golf a few days back but it was only Luhan who was paying attention.

“Hey Kyungsoo, do you want to go with Jongin when I meet my friend who is an interior designer some time next week? I’m planning to buy a separate unit at Apgujeong and I want it neat. Oh, Junmyeon you will buy one as well, right?” Luhan tries his luck to get Kyungsoo’s attention and he somehows succeeds.

“It depends on my schedule Luhan hyung, so I’m not sure yet,” Kyungsoo says.

“Alright. But it would be awesome if you could go, I need more people who can help me design my unit,” Luhan says and Kyungsoo just hums and they are silent once again.

They reached the apartment after a few minutes and Jongin just bids a simple good bye to Luhan and Junmyeon and he quickly goes up to their room. Luhan is not sure if he should ask Kyungsoo what happened, but luckily, Junmyeon did.

“We just had a small argument earlier. Maybe a little misunderstanding. We will talk,” Kyungsoo says and Luhan pats his head and goes back to the car ahead of Junmyeon.

“Leave me a message before going to bed okay? I hope you and Jongin will be able to fix this before you sleep, penguin.” Junmyeon says and grabs Kyungsoo by the neck and pulls him for a hug. “Everything will be okay,” Junmyeon says and plants a kiss on Kyungsoo’s cheek before going back to the car.

-

Kyungsoo is laying on his bed sending random emoticons to Junmyeon and he decides to just call instead and for thirty minutes, they are just talking about Jongin.

“Hyung, do I not have the right to be disappointed?” Kyungsoo wonders.

While on their way home, Kyungsoo kept on thinking whether he should feel bad or not. Jongin cares, as well as Sehun, and they care too much. But is that a bad thing?

“I cannot tell. I’m not Jongin so I do not have an idea what his reasons are. Maybe you do, but at least know what’s making him act that way. I understand why he’s very protective, you cannot take that away from a very concerned best friend.”Junmyeon explains in behalf of Jongin and exactly that moment, Jongin starts knocking on Kyungsoo’s door.

“I’ll go talk to him now, hyung. It’s getting late so you go to bed, alright?” Kyungsoo silently states.

“Okay. Send me a message before going to bed. I’ll check it once I get up, okay penguin?” Junmyeon says and adds, “I love you, Kyungsoo and I miss you already. I’ll see you soon.”

“I love you too, and you know that. Good night, penguin hyung!” Kyungsoo says and ends the call.

Kyungsoo slowly walks towards the door but as soon as he holds the knob, he didn’t let Jongin in yet. Why? Kyungsoo asks with Jongin still knocking from the other side of the room.

“Please let me in, Kyung. Let’s talk,” Jongin says and Kyungsoo just swings the door open and walks towards his bed.

 Kyungsoo wants to immediately inform Jongin that he was disappointed and he has reasons, but Jongin is fast enough to drop an I’m very sorry, Kyungsoo even before Kyungsoo can start talking.

“Jongin, just like everyone else I'm getting older everyday. I’m old enough to face the consequences of my actions. I’m old enough to be independent. Look, it’s not that I’m pushing you and Sehun away, but please don’t take me away from Junmyeon hyung.” Kyungsoo says as he wipe the tears running down his cheek.

Jongin takes the box of tissue from Kyungsoo’s study table and hands it to his best friend. Jongin sits beside Kyungsoo and pats his head and rests his arm over Kyungsoo’s back and they stay that way for a few minutes. Jongin is speechless. He wants to stay to be that over protective friend that he already is, but he feels like Kyungsoo doesn’t want it anymore.

“Say something,” Kyungsoo says and glances up at Jongin but Jongin is actually crying as well. “Why are you crying?” Kyungsoo asks.

“Because you’re crying,” Jongin simply answers and Kyungsoo just laughs a little at the sight of Jongin crying next to him.

“Now tell me, what do you want to tell me? Say it,” Kyungsoo demands.

“I don’t know, Kyung. I care too much and too much of everything is bad. You’re like my twin already and I just don’t want to see you suffering again. You have no idea how painful it is to watch you get cured on the hospital bed for a week. It pains me to see you helpless on a bed and I cannot do anything aside from blaming myself why I didn’t took care of you beforehand. Sehun and I do not want to see you get hurt again, Kyungsoo.” Jongin explains and Kyungsoo just nods as a sign that he understands. Kyungsoo does, and he knows.

“I just want the freedom I’ve been dreaming to have. I want to be a normal person like you, Sehun and like everyone else around me. I want to play basketball without worrying if I will die by tomorrow, I want to run around the soccer field without worrying if I can still see my loved ones the day after that, I want to fall in love, I want someone to fall for me in return, I just want to be happy, Jongin. Please, don’t take that away from me.” Kyungsoo says and takes Jongin’s hands in his. “Jongin, Junmyeon hyung and I…” Kyungsoo says and Jongin just smiles.

“I know, Kyungsoo. From the way you smile, from the way you laugh since the moment you came home earlier, I know something good happened. I won’t ask if you’re together already or not, but I know he’s really making you happy and I won’t take that away from you. I’m sorry if you feel bad because I’m even worse than your mother when it comes to being protective, but I just want you to know that if that heart gets broken, I’m here and you can always lean on me,” Jongin says and Kyungsoo just sighs and during that moment, he knows he only have one problem left.

Sehun.

-

After two weeks, Kyungsoo happily barged into Jongin’s room with a paper bag in his hands and a grin plastered on his face. Kyungsoo hands Jongin his signed album of Junmyeon and Luhan and they are basically laughing oddly because this time around, they do not need to save for albums, they do not need to try their luck for fansigning events and of course, the hassle of lining up for that slim chance of meeting their idols are just a memory.

“Junmyeon hyung picked me up at school and we ate lunch together then he gave me this,” Kyungsoo says and Jongin is busy browsing the album.

“Wow Luhan hyung looks extremely y on this,” Jongin says and Kyungsoo just laughs at how Jongin said extremely y and Jongin slightly punched Kyungsoo for making fun.

“By the way, they have a fansigning event on Monday, 7PM. We’re going?” Kyungsoo asks.

“Sure. Let’s bring Sehun with us!” Jongin says and a smirk surfaced his face.

“You’re thinking of something evil, Jongin. Tell me.” Kyungsoo says as he starts returning the albums on its bubble wraps.

“I’ll message Chanyeol and let’s have dinner together. You know how Sehun gets attracted to tall, cute guys. Well he like girls too but you know him, Kyung.” Jongin laughs out really loud and Kyungsoo just smacks him before leaving the room.

“Kyungsoo!” Jongin shouts before Kyungsoo can completely step out of the room.

“Dinner with Luhan and Junmyeon hyung?” Jongin says and waves his phone since Luhan just sent in a message and Kyungsoo gladly nods and skips his way towards his room. But not even a minute passed, Kyungsoo goes back and peeks through Jongin’s door.

“Hey!” Kyungsoo says with his head peeking. “Junmyeon hyung told me earlier that Luhan hyung wants to take you out next week. That’s supposed to be a secret and a surprise but I thought you need to know before hand. If you need to buy a new set of clothes, I’ll accompany you to the mall!” Kyungsoo says and Jongin is just staring at him. “You’re welcome, Jongin.” Kyungsoo adds before shutting the door behind him and that leaves Jongin speechless the entire afternoon.