Running Towards

In the Rain, Stars Align

"Wherever you are, I want you to stand there and wait for me." He laced our fingers together as we laid in the grass, staring at the stars.

"Why?"

"Because that way, I can run to you." He looked at me. "Promise me, sunshine?"

The times he had held me as I cried, the times he laughed with me, the times he held my hand as I found my way and carried me when I was certain I was lost-

"Of course. I promise."

*

"You are leaving in a few weeks?"

He nodded. 

I closed my eyes as I took in those few words. I knew that by sending a loved one to the military, I had to be strong.

Even though I knew about this moment for years, I knew I would never be prepared.

He took my hand and massaged my thumb. "Remember what I said, sunshine? I will always run to you."

I nodded, but couldn't speak.

He hugged me. "It'll be alright. We'll make it through."

*

"I can't imagine being away from my husband for such a long time. How do you do it?"

"I believe in him. I trust that whatever we found before he left will still there when he returns."

"Is it hard to share your husband with your country?"

"No. As long as there are people who thank my husband, even if they don't know his name, for keeping them safe, then our sacrifice is worth it."

*

"How long has it been?"

"A few years." I heaved a breath as I watched Amy try on shoes. "This is the second birthday he's had to miss."

She nodded. "Hey want to get something to eat?"

I stood up, not unused to her sudden changes in subject.

As we crossed the central court, Amy nudged me. "Hey, turn around."

Puzzled, I followed her directions. And then I saw.

His face was a bit more wearied, but the same light shone in his face as his running figure became bigger. Everything blurred as I started to run. He caught me in a hug as I felt tears warm my cheeks.

"Happy birthday, Sunshine."

God bless our troops. May they come safely and happily home.