Ch. 17

The Exchange Student

day 41

It had been a few days. We had done all we could to find the owner of the puppy. We put up flyers, went to the shelter to see if anyone had reported a missing animal, we asked around the neighborhood the dog was found in, but no one seemed to know who he belonged to.

It took my mind off of Taemin, going around the city in search of the owner, and I hadn't talked to him since the day I left him.

My mom and I were in the kitchen, talking about the puppy, whom I had named Jojo.

"You know, until we find this owner, we're keeping this dog." my mother said. "So today I want you and Taemin to take him to the vet, since he's still a small puppy. He needs a check up okay?"

I froze, and I noticed Taemin who had just come downstairs. He froze too. Finally I said, "W-What?"

My mom looked at me, confused. "You heard me. Take the puppy, and Taemin, to the vet. Please."

"But Taemin has dance!" I protested. He responded quickly.

"It's canceled...today..." he said nervously, looking down at his feet and stuffing his hands in his pockets.

My mother nodded and turned away, walking out of the kitchen. I turned to see Taemin, who smiled awkwardly and coughed. "Well then, let's go" he said.

"Do you really think I'm dumb? I know you have class today. I'm just going to take you there okay?" I said coldly.

He shook his head. "I really don't! They said not to come back all week."

"Why!"

"It's not everyone, just me...because I go-"

"You what?!" I interrupted. "Nevermind. I don't care what you did now. Let's just go and get this over with." I grabbed Jojo and walked out of the house, grabbing my keys on the way.

Taemin followed quickly, and once in the car he said, "Listen, I didn't do anything wrong at the dance studio."

I shook my head, "Then why are you kicked out for the week?"

"I'm not. I just don't have a part-" The dog interrupted by barking.

"Okay okay we're going Jojo! No need to rush me" I said, fluffing Jojo's fur. "Taemin, you hold him, okay?"

He nodded, sighing. I wondered what he meant when he said I wasn't kicked out, but I didn't ask because I was trying to seem as if I didn't care. He was only the boy staying with us for the summer to me now. Nothing more. So I didn't want to make it seem like I felt he was more.

When we arrived at the veteranarian's office, I went to the front and registered Jojo for an appointment, then went to sit down in the waiting area. There was barely anyone in there, and it was dead silent. I took out my phone and started to pretend to text, as if to seem occupied so I wouldn't be forced to talk to Taemin.

He leaned his head back against the wall and closed his eyes.

This situation was more than awkward. Soon they called for us, and I tapped Taemin and grabbed Jojo.

We got in the room, and the doctor said, "So, what is this...a new couple and their new dog? How cute."

I shook my head. "No, he's just--" How did I introduce him? The one living with me? That'd be awkward. "He's just...we're not together." I said, blushing. Taemin sighed and chuckled.

I turned and glared at him as if to say, "What are you laughing at!?"

He shrugged and stopped laughing. The doctor inspected Jojo and we waited until it was done. "Well, you 2 have a nice healthy dog. Be sure to feed it and give it alot of love and exercise."

I nodded, "Thank you"

"We're going to have to give him a few shots though today. Is that okay?"

I nodded again. "Yes, thanks"

Taemin looked concerned. "Is something wrong?" The doctor asked.
Taemin shook his head. "He won't get hurt, right?"
"Of course not."

The nurse came in and asked us to hold Jojo down while they gave him his shots.
I took Jojo's chest and firmly but lightly held him down, and Taemin took his legs. The nurse gave him his first shot, and he struggled but we held firm. "Can you move over a bit?" the nurse asked Taemin. He scooted over to where we were right next to eachother.

I looked at Taemin, who was concentrating hard on his task. I smiled lightly. He bit his lip and closed his eyes as the second shot went in. When it was finished, he opened one eye, still biting his lip, and once he saw that the shot was over, he sighed deeply.

"It's okay Taemin" I laughed. He was adorable.

He turned, "What? Oh...I had to sneeze..but..it didn't come" he said.

I chuckled, not replying. Once the last shot was done, Jojo jumped up quickly. Both me and Taemin went to grab him, and Taemin ended up accidently bumping into me, causing me to lose my balance. Taemin grabbed my shoulders, so that I caught my balance, and I stood there, holding Jojo.

"Sorry!" Taemin said, eyes wide. I nodded, looking away awkwardly. He noticed his hands were still on me, so he moved them away, blushing. "Sorry..." he said.

 

ahh this chapter is long. ¬¬ thanks for the new subscribers ^----^ <3