Chapter 54

Forever

Author’s POV:

 

Jessica’s Pregnancy Calendar – Week 17

 

Wandering in the supermarket, Jessica pushed her cart as she thought of dinner. She didn’t need much and it wasn’t even grocery day for her, but her feet took her here and she just walked right in. Jessica was taking one of her daily walks, strolling along the familiar streets of the neighborhood. The day was lovely with the sun shining down and Jessica didn’t want to be walking too much in the hot sun, so she just went into the market where there was air conditioning.

 

Jessica didn’t want to look weird and walk out of the market without buying anything, so she strolled the aisles, wandering what extra things she might’ve needed for dinner tonight. She ended up just purchasing a few cups of pudding. It was better than nothing.

 

Walking out the mart, Jessica stopped in her steps when she spotted someone familiar in front of her. She only stood there blinking, wondering if it was the person she was actually seeing.

 

“Jessica?” The person she recognized spoke up first, reciprocating her expression.

 

“Doctor Lee?” Jessica smiled as she walked towards her obstetrician, who just happened to stroll by at the perfect time.

 

“Donghae.” The doctor wanted to drop the formalities. “I’m not on the job, so feel free to call me by my first name.”

 

Jessica giggled, “Yeah, I can see that. It’s a little weird seeing you without your white coat.” She saw that he was dressed casually with only a simple white tee and black jeans.

 

He only nodded his head in agreement. “Most clients react the same when they see me on my days off. Believe me, I do have other types of clothing other than slacks, dress shirts and my famous white coat.” Donghae laughed along with Jessica.

 

“So what are you doing out here on this nice day, if you don’t mind me asking?” Jessica asked, wondering what her doctor was up to.

 

Donghae shrugged. “Just strolling. I didn’t have much to do today. What about you?”

 

“I was taking my daily walk and headed into the mart because who wouldn’t like free air conditioning?” Jessica joked around.

 

“That’s true.” Donghae chuckled, seeing that Jessica wasn’t in such a rush. “Are you busy?”

 

Jessica only blinked at him. “Not particularly. Unless you count sitting at home while being pregnant as some sort of a schedule.”

 

Donghae produced a smile, just realizing how charming his patient actually is. “Well, since you’re not busy, would you like to have some coffee with me?”

 

Jessica tilted her head, surprised that he had asked her. “Don’t you have a date with your girlfriend to go to?” she grinned.

 

“Well, truth be told, I don’t have a girlfriend.” Donghae confessed, shrugging and giving her a polite smile.

 

Jessica’s eyes widened. “Wow~ A handsome, young and successful doctor like you is still single?” she was surprised that someone like Donghae was still single.

 

“Well not everyone finds their perfect other half like you, Mrs. Wu.” Donghae spoke playfully. “Now, are you going to accept my offer to a cup of coffee or not?”

 

“I suppose I could use something to quench my thirst at the moment.” Jessica didn’t mind getting to know her doctor a little better. “Lead the way, mister.” She let the man choose the coffee shop.

 

“I know a good café nearby. It’s down the street. I was actually heading there until I bumped into you.” Donghae started to walk, Jessica following.

 

Jessica looked up at the obstetrician. “Is that a good or bad thing?”

 

Donghae looked down at her. “I guess it could be considered a good thing. Now I don’t have to sit by myself at the café.”

 

The two shared a good laugh. Their personalities weren’t much different. Jessica didn’t mind making a new friend. In fact, Donghae seems to match her sense of humor and is very kind. Who knew you would have things in common with your obstetrician?

 

“Oh, here, let me hold that for you.” Donghae noticed that she was holding a grocery bag. “Wouldn’t want a pregnant woman to strain herself.”

 

Jessica only gave him a kind smile. “You don’t have to, but since you offered…” she trailed off, giggling.

 

Donghae swung the bag, finding that it wasn’t even that heavy. “What did you buy at the mart?” he was curious.

 

“Pudding.” Jessica informed.

 

“Pudding?” Donghae questioned her.

 

Jessica only nodded her head. “I thought it’d be a little weird if I went into the mart and didn’t buy anything. I felt like eating pudding so I bought it.”

 

“Walking into a mart to use the air conditioning isn’t a crime, you know?” He gave her a funny look.

 

“Well, I felt bad, so I bought something. It’s also something I wanted so, it wasn’t for nothing.” Jessica explained herself, grinning.

 

Donghae opened the door to the café and let her walk in first. The two were situated in a table and gave their order to a waitress who happened to walk up to them right away.

 

“Hello Donghae.” The woman smiled. “I see you brought someone with you today…” her smile diminished when she glanced at Jessica.

 

Donghae went ahead and gave introductions. “Haneul, this is Jessica. Jessica, this is Haneul.”

 

Jessica gave a polite smile at the waitress. “Hi, I’m Jessica. Donghae’s friend…and patient.” She made it noticeable that she was pregnant.

 

“Haneul.” The woman introduced herself. “Oh, so you’re expecting? Is Donghae your obstetrician?” she asked, seeming interested in how Donghae is connected with Jessica.

 

Jessica nodded her head. “Well, my husband and I never had a baby before, so we wouldn’t know much about pregnancy, so Donghae is here to help.”

 

Haneul’s expression clearly brightened up. “Oh~” she seemed much more relieved. “Well, congratulations on your baby~” she gave Jessica a happy expression.

 

“Thanks.” Jessica smiled.

 

“So, the usual vanilla latte for you, Donghae?” Haneul took out her pen and paper, taking orders. Donghae only nodded his head, nonchalantly.

 

Jessica had noticed that Haneul already wrote his order down before she even asked Donghae. “A lemon iced tea for me.” Jessica responded when the waitress looked her way.

 

“Your order will be here in a short couple minutes.” Haneul threw a tremendously happy smile towards Donghae’s way.

 

Donghae only flashed her one of his usual smile, not bothering to give Haneul a second glance. Jessica noticed that Haneul walked away looking a bit dejected.

 

“So you’ve never had a girlfriend before?” Jessica asked Donghae.

 

The obstetrician only looked back at her with a questionable look. “Of course I’ve had a girlfriend before.” He laughed. “I’m not that detestable, am I?”

 

Jessica shook her head, denying his query. “I take it that you haven’t dated in a while, then.” She propped her chin the palm of her hand, leaning on the table and giving him a small grin.

 

Donghae narrowed his eyes at her. “What are you, a dating expert? How did you know?”

 

Jessica only giggled. “Let me guess, your last girlfriend was probably in college, or even better, high school?”

 

“It was actually three years ago, thank you very much.” Donghae corrected her, not wanting her to see him as someone who is going to be forever single. “Why are you asking about my dating life, anyways?”

 

Jessica only raised an eyebrow at him. “Because you’re obviously blind.”

 

The waitress came by with their drinks in her hand. “Here’s your drink, Donghae.” Haneul smiled cheekily at him.

 

“Thanks, Haneul.” Donghae merely glanced at her before he tended to his drink.

 

That was really fast service, Jessica thought before Donghae continued their conversation.

 

“I’ll let you know that my eyesight is twenty-twenty.” Donghae begged to differ, not understanding what she was really saying.

 

“No~” Jessica laughed at his response. “I meant that you’re bad at noticing people that are interested in you.”

 

Donghae blinked at her for a moment, before thinking he caught on. “Oh, you mean…you…?” his expression was a little awkward.

 

“Yeah, I mean, Haneul likes you.” Jessica directed him to the right answer.

 

Donghae’s eyes widened as he finally caught on. “Oh~~” he sighed out in relief, as he originally thought that Jessica was referring to herself.

 

“Yeah, not me.” Jessica knew what he was thinking and showed him her wedding ring. “I’m happily married to Kris.”

 

“I know,” Donghae chuckled in embarrassment. “I just thought you meant yourself for a second. It would’ve been awkward. I don’t do that whole affair thing…” he meant seriously, but put his words in a joking manner to lighten the atmosphere.

 

Jessica laughed. “Yeah, I don’t do that either. I love Kris with all of me.” She was glad they were on the same page. Donghae was very genuine and respectful.

 

“I hope you don’t take this coffee outing as something else, Mrs. Wu. Then that’d be a different story. I just want to make a new friend.” Donghae explained himself honestly and truthfully.

 

Jessica only smiled at his slight humor. “Same here.”

 

“To friends.” Donghae clinked their drinks together.

 

Jessica only laughed at his silly behavior. “To friends.”

 

The two took a sip of their respective drinks in a happy mood.

 

“So about Haneul…” Jessica began. “What do you think about her?”

 

Donghae thought about it, “I think she’s a very nice, outgoing person. Her waitressing skills and services are very good.”

 

Jessica only gaped at him with a weird expression. “Really?”

 

“Yeah. Did you see how fast her service was? Our drinks came within a few minutes.” Donghae only seemed impressed by her quick service.

 

“You’ve never noticed her, have you?” Jessica pressed on.

 

Donghae only blinked. “Was I supposed to?”

 

Jessica only groaned. “I think this is why you are single.”

 

The two conversed like any two friends who had met after a couple of years. Their conversation ranged from regular introductory questions to more personal ones. Like any regular friends, the two got to know each other more. Jessica had made a new friend.

 


 

 

I’m going to be late tonight.

Eat dinner first, don’t wait up for me.

 

Don’t wait up for him? Does that mean he’s coming home really late? Jessica read his text message over for the third time. The wife had already eaten dinner by herself and cleaned up the house. Jessica just wanted Kris home. What exactly is he doing out this late? Was work that hectic?

 

Jessica only sighed hopelessly as she sat comfortably in bed. “What do you think your dad is up to, blip?” she rubbed her tummy, secretly hoping that Kris wasn’t doing anything regrettable.

 

Jessica turned off the bedside light and tucked herself into bed. There was no point staying up when there was nothing else to do at 9pm. She was feeling uneasy and didn’t want to think about what Kris was doing. Once she got comfortable and cuddled up onto her pillow, she heard the front door open. A part of Jessica felt relieved to know that Kris was back.

 

Kris climbed his way up the stairs and into the bedroom. “You’re back.” Jessica poked her head up.

 

“You’re still up.” Kris the lights, realizing that she was still awake.

 

“It’s only nine and I only just got in bed.” Jessica smiled for a second. “How was work? Did you eat yet? Dinner is downstairs. I can heat it up for you.”

 

Kris only shook his head and shrugged his blazer off. “It’s okay. I went out for dinner with a business associate.”

 

“Oh.” Jessica couldn’t help but feel a little upset that he didn’t bother with her dinner, but she pushed that thought aside. “Just leave it there, I’m doing laundry tomorrow anyways.” She told Kris to just leave his clothes on her vanity bench.

 

“You’re the best.” Kris smiled at her, leaning over to kiss her cheek.

 

Jessica only grinned at him. As soon as he disappeared into the bathroom to wash up, her smile immediately vanished from her lips. It was there again. That cherry scented perfume.

 

A business associate? Cherry perfume? Kris met up with a woman? Jessica’s head began to spin. What was their relation? Was Kris just meeting up with her for work purposes? Then why would they meet up till this late? Was Kris not telling her something?

 

Jessica became easily frustrated at all these questions. Why isn’t Kris telling her anything? But then again, if it were really that important, Kris would share it. They share everything together. A business associate is only a business associate, she told herself.

 


 

 

Waking up earlier than Kris, Jessica was glad that it was finally the weekend. The weekends are the company’s days off. Therefore, she could spend the whole weekend with Kris, like always.

 

Jessica knew that Kris has always been having a hard time sleeping without her embrace and warmth. Jessica would be lying if she said she didn’t miss Kris’ arms around her because who wouldn’t want their husband cuddling with them? Kris would sleep as close to her as he could, practically hugging the body pillow himself. Her husband would somehow sleep without her help.

 

But even then, Jessica knew he was still having trouble. So to take him out of his misery, Jessica would make an effort to wake up a bit earlier each morning so she could scoot to his side of the bed, moving the pillow away so she could cuddle with him instead. So Kris could at least get a bit of good sleep.

 

The same thing occurred when Jessica woke up this Saturday morning. She basically used Kris as her temporary pillow. Although her husband wasn’t as fluffy and plush as her pregnancy pillow, it would have to do. As long as Kris was feeling comfortable, she’s happy as well. Of course, Kris appreciated her thoughts.

 

When Jessica decided to get up after an hour, Kris only took her pregnancy pillow and hugged onto it. Jessica playfully scolded him, saying that he wasn’t qualified to use it since it wasn’t pregnant. The husband still wanted to sleep more and took advantage of the pillow, knowing how unbelievably comfortable it was. Kris only retorted by saying that he deserved to use it because he’s sleep deprived. Jessica only gave up. At least her husband was able to sleep with it.

 

Jessica decided to begin her day with doing the laundry, since the first thing her eyes landed on once she got up from bed was Kris’ office attire piled on her vanity bench. After she washed up for face, she headed for the clothes.

 

Grabbing his blazer first, she made sure there weren’t any loose items in the pockets. Kris would forget a few items in his pockets at times. She draped the blazer onto her arm with his white dress shirt as well, after making sure that the pockets were clear. When she got to his pants, Jessica knew Kris was the most careless when it came to pants. Sliding his belt out of the loops, she then checked the pockets.

 

Fishing out Kris’ phone and his wallet, Jessica only expected it with a small grin on her lips. Reaching into the other last pocket, she came across something in the pocket that she wasn’t expecting. Taking it out, Jessica had found a folded piece of paper. Jessica glanced over at the sleeping Kris before she surveyed the paper. To her very surprise, she found something.

 

Etched in a red pen was a phone number, completed with a name below it which was followed by a drawn heart. Hana. Jessica immediately darted a glare at Kris’ sleeping figure.

 

Who the hell is Park Hana and why the would she give you her phone number?

 



{Author's Note}: Them pregnancy hormones...it's just fuels the fire. >o<

Thanks for the upvotes you beautiful readers! <3
AlexChelsie
forevergorJESS9
iheart2ne1dara
yunholicious