Chapter 16

Forever

 

Author’s POV:

 

“There’s a typo on here.” Kris voiced out as he placed the file down onto his desk.

 

Jihae stiffened at his words before bowing her head. “Sorry. I’ll get that fixed immediately.” She quickly grabbed the file off the desk.

 

Kris looked up at his fretting temporary secretary, flashing her a smile to ease her anxiety. “Just take your time. Don’t rush yourself or else more errors will appear.”

 

Nodding her head, Jihae then gave a relieved, cheeky smile. “Thank you.” She spoke happily, glad that her boss wasn’t anything but nice towards her.

 

It was the first day that JinHee took her leave for vacation, making it also the first day Kris would have to work with his temporary replacement secretary. Things were going smoothly with a few bumps here and there, but nothing they couldn’t easily fix. Kris has been more than understanding with Jihae whenever she made mistakes. He knows how much of a task being his assistant could be.

 

Having Jihae walk out of his office, Kris was left alone with silence. He glanced over at the digital time on his phone before he started to neatly pile everything on his desk together. It was 12pm. Stretching in his seat, Kris then pull himself up and grabbed his blazer, swinging it over his shoulder.

 

Walking out of his office, Kris walked up to the secretary’s desk and gave it a tap. “I’ll be back in an hour or so.” He notified.

 

Jihae suddenly stopped typing on her computer and just stared up at him, looking scared that he was leaving. What was she supposed to do without her boss there to instruct her? Where is he going? Thoughts ran through Jihae’s head.

 

“It’s 12. I’m going out to lunch.” Kris saw Jihae’s wide eyes and clarified. “You should get something to eat too.” He nodded his head.

 

With Kris giving her a smile, he walked off, leaving Jihae following his backside with her eyes. Turning back towards the computer screen, a small meek smile along with a slight blush of pink slowly spread onto Jihae’s face. The temporary assistant swore she felt her heartbeat increase.

 

Arriving on the twenty-third floor, Kris didn’t even hesitate to zoom right into his wife’s office. Seeing her busily looking through a binder in the corner of the office, Kris knew Jessica was unaware of his presence. Sneaking up behind her, Kris then slowly s his arms around her. Jessica jumped up at the unexpected contact, but quickly settled into the pair of arms after knowing exactly who it was. A peck was placed on her cheek before she grinned.

 

“You ready for lunch?” Kris questioned, seeing Jessica putting the binder back onto the shelf.

 

“I just have a little bit more to do before we can go.” She turned around, meeting their lips for a quick second before sauntering back to her office chair.

 

Taking a seat in front of her desk, Kris fiddled with the items that decorated her desk. Of course, there wasn’t much, but whatever item sat on her desk had some sort of connection to Kris. Grabbing onto the photo frame on the corner or her desk, Kris smiled when he saw the picture of them on their honeymoon trip. His smile only grew bigger when he saw her glass nameplate with white font that printed clearly, ‘Jessica Wu.’

 

Tapping her fingers on the keyboard of her computer, Jessica multitasked when she spoke up. “So how has your day been? Did your new secretary make any mistakes?”

 

Kris immediately stopped snooping around and slouched in his seat. “She made a ton of mistakes, but I wasn’t harsh on her. It’s her first day, not to mention first time working for such a large-scale company. Didn’t want to scare her senseless.”

 

Jessica stopped what she was doing and looked at him, her lips forming a pout. She stared at him with a deflated look and worried eyes.

 

Kris arched up an eyebrow. “What is it?”

 

Curling her lips, Jessica sighed. “Maybe I should’ve been your secretary instead.” She spoke playfully with a mischievous grin. “Maybe then you wouldn’t be having such a hard time.”

 

An instant smile spread through Kris’ face. Leaning over, he tipped her chin up to directly face him in a close distance.

 

“If you were to be my personal assistant, I don’t think I’ll be able to get any work done Mrs. Wu.” He gave her a knowing look before placing a peck on the tip of her nose.

 

Jessica gave him a little glare for thinking so dirty in a place like this. “Oh,” she remembered something. “I heard you have a meeting later this evening.” She reached over and fixed a stray hair on Kris’ head.

 

Kris’ face contorted of perplexity. “Who told you that?” he didn’t recall any meeting he had to go to.

 

“Kai came by earlier to see Fany and I overheard.” Jessica explained, wondering why he wasn’t informed of this meeting. “You didn’t know?”

 

Kris frowned before shaking his head. “Guess my secretary is making a lot of mistakes today.” He exasperated, rubbing his forehead. “Let’s just get lunch first.” He decided to let it go for now.

 

Jessica nodded her head and quickly started typing away on her keyboard. “Let me just finish this really quick.”

 

A fast two minutes flew by and Jessica was still focused on her work. “My wife is taking too long. I’m getting hungry.” Kris whined, sticking his head next to her computer screen in attempt to get some wanted attention.

 

Finishing a sentence, Jessica then stopped and glanced over at Kris who was pouting. “I was about to finish, but since my husband is being extra cute, I suppose I could go to lunch with him now.” She reached out and pinched his cheek.

 

Leaving everything in it’s place, Jessica then got up and grabbed her jacket. About to grab her bag, she squealed when she was suddenly picked up. Being tossed over Kris’ shoulder, Jessica thrashed her body, wondering why her husband was doing this.

 

“Kris, let me down!” Jessica tugged on his dress shirt while she kicked her legs.

 

“Stop trying to resist.” Kris ordered, giving her a playful smack before grabbing her bag for her.

 

Jessica squeaked before she leaned down and hit Kris in the rear as well. “Why are you carrying me? I can walk by myself!”

 

“You’re taking too long. Your husband is getting impatient.” Kris tightened his hold on her legs and proceeded to march out of her private office.

 

Clamping her eyes shut, Jessica dug her face into Kris’ back and prepared to brace herself from the stares she was going to receive from her fellow workers on the floor.

 


 

 

“When is the meeting?” Kris questioned Jihae as soon as he got back to the office.

 

Jihae lifted her head from the papers and stared wide eyed at her boss. A faint gasp could be heard from her cherry red lips. She had obviously forgotten to tell Kris about the meeting he had to attend to later in the evening.

 

“I-I’m sorry! I forgot to tell you!” Jihae frantically scrambled her hands around her desk to find her agenda. “I’m being really clumsy today…” she shook her head.

 

Kris pressed his lips in a thin line before trying to comfort the newbie. “It’s alright Jihae, it’s your first day. I hope to see you improve throughout the week.”

 

Jihae nodded her head with determination before reading off the agenda. “The meeting is at 4:30pm on the tenth floor. There’s supposedly a new project.” She went through the plans JinHee had written down.

 

Thinking over it, Kris nodded. “Let me know when it is 4pm. I’ll be checking some records.” He ordered before sauntering into his office.

 

Jihae quickly jotted a reminder down on a post-it note to make sure she remembers to call Kris. She was already making too many mistakes today. She felt apologetic that someone as professional and high up in the business world has to deal with a clumsy girl like her. Jihae felt apologetic to Kris, knowing that despite her continuous accidents today, Kris still did not get enraged or even yell at her. Instead, he did the opposite and only comforted and encouraged her. Jihae felt gratitude yet apologetic towards Kris, but she was determined to work hard.

 

Kris wasn’t necessarily mad. He understood that Jihae was new to this type of working environment. Every single rookie he has seen step foot in this building has been the same way. Kris understood how stressful it is to have such a position as his secretary. He runs through countless papers everyday and has an ongoing schedule for the day. Jihae needs to handle everything that gets through him, making it hard on her. Instead of trying to pressure her, Kris decided to motivate her and give her a sense of comfort so she could do her job properly.

 



 

 

 

“W-What?” Jihae sputtered out, staring wide-eyed at Kris in disbelief. “Me?” she pointed to herself.

 

Kris simply nodded. “Yes, you.”

 

“B-But why…me?” Jihae gulped, in a state of shock and surprise. “What about…Kai?”

 

Kris only slumped back onto his seat comfortably. “Kai has air sickness.”

 

Jihae was frozen in place, having a hard time taking in what Kris had informed her. “A-And I’m going in his place?”

 

Letting out a small laugh, Kris looked at his secretary in amusement. “No, I’m going alone with a plus one, which is you. My secretary assistant is to mandatorily go with me. Who else is going to organize my agenda and work for me while I’m sitting through meetings?”

 

“I-I’m…going to Japan?” Jihae wanted to make sure what she was hearing was correct.

 

Kris simply nodded his head, finding it funny that Jihae still can’t believe the fact that she is going out of the country. He found Jihae adorable like a child, especially since she was stunned by the idea of leaving Korea.

 

“Yes you are.” Kris grinned at Jihae’s overjoyed expression taking over her face.

 

Jihae nodded her head excessively, a huge bright smile finally emitting through her teeth. “I’m going to Japan.” She breathed out giddily.

 

Kris quirked his eyebrows up. “Is this your first time out of the country?”

 

“Yes,” Jihae perked up, hopping. “I haven’t even been out of the Seoul area so this is quite exciting.” Her fingers twiddled with each other ecstatically.

 

Kris’ eyes widened a fraction before returning to it’s normal width after the insightful information. He simply nodded his head and continued smiling at Jihae. For a female like Jihae, he was quite surprised that a young grown up girl like her has never been out of her hometown. But then again, Jihae was only twenty-three, which explains why she seems naïve and slow compared to others. She was considered very young to be working inside such a big successful company.

 

“Well, we’re only there for business.” Kris reminded her, not letting her get too carried away by other thoughts.

 

“Oh, right…” Jihae corrected herself, her expression dying a little. “At least we’re still in Japan.” She kept on a positive note.

 

“I’m sure if we have time, we can tour around a bit.” Kris decided to be more lenient. “We do have two week’s worth of time there.”

 

Jihae clasped her hands together. “I’m sure it’ll be fun regardless. I’m already looking forward to it! It’ll be nice to go visit Japan all alone by myself without any family.” Her eyes twinkled in awe.

 

Her last sentence reminded Kris of something extremely important. Jessica. His worries about the trip washed away after seeing Jihae’s huge reaction. What was he going to do without Jessica for a week? More importantly, what would Jessica’s reaction be if he told her about this business trip? He’ll just have to see how things go.

 

“I suggest you start packing. We’re leaving in three days.” Kris quickly replied to Jihae. “You can go now for today. I’ll see you tomorrow, Jihae.”

 

Jihae quickly bowed ninety degrees, all with her pearly smile. “Yes, sir!” she giggled playfully in a joyful manner. “See you tomorrow, Mr. Wu.”

 

Kris softened and cracked another smile at her. Jihae instantly gave a blushed smile back before skipping herself out of the office. Needless to say, Kris saw Jihae as somewhat along the lines of a little cute kid. Jihae was still young and new to the business world, which made Kris feel more strongly about the way she is like a child. A child who is first exposed to toys, in a way.

 

Grabbing his own belongings, Kris was preparing to leave as well. Locking his office door, Kris then proceeded towards the elevators. Standing at the foyer, Jihae suddenly appeared by his side as well with all her belongings. Her grin never seemed to have faded.

 

“You seem excited about the trip.” Kris stated the obvious, peering over at Jihae who was already looking up at him.

 

Jihae only smiled brightly up at him for a moment before doing the unexpected. “Thank you for letting me go on this trip!” she hugged onto Kris tightly, making him jump back slightly. “I know I’m not the best secretary, but I’ll definitely work hard Thank you for letting me go on this business trip with you. I’ll be sure to do the best I can throughout the trip and for the rest of the time that I’m here.”

 

Kris awkwardly stood there for a minute before petting her head, making her release him from her hold. “You don’t need to thank me, just thank JinHee for being on vacation.” He chuckled. “I can see potential in you and I’m sure you’ll become better over the course of the weeks you’ll be here. It’s great that you’re willing to learn.” He ruffled her hair lightly.

 

Cheekily grinning, Jihae let her hair get out of place due to Kris. Her cheeks burned in a light shade of red from the semi-affectionate touch. The elevator dinged and Kris took that as his signal to leave.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Jihae.” Kris saluted her with two fingers.

 

“But wait!” Jihae suddenly called out, making Kris stop in his steps. “That elevator is going up.” She pointed at the lift Kris was about to get on.

 

Kris only flashed an overjoyed smile. “I need to pick up my wife.” He stepped inside the steel box and waved her a goodbye. “See you tomorrow.”

 

Jihae only waved back at him till the double doors shut completely. Her shoulders slouched as she waited for the other elevator to reach her. She had completely forgotten that Kris was happily married for a moment.

 

Reaching the destined twenty-third floor, Kris was about to step out until he saw Jessica already in front of him. With a contented smile playing on her lips, Jessica skipped her way into the lift.

 

“Hi, Mr. Wu.” Jessica playfully greeted Kris, standing right beside him.

 

Wrapping his arm around her waist, he brought her closer to him till their faces were only millimeters away from each other. “Hi to you too, Mrs. Wu.” He wittily replied back with a kiss as well. “Someone was prepared to leave already.” Kris referred to his one and only wife.

 

“Someone was running late today.” Jessica pointed at the invisible watch on her wrist.

 

“Sorry,” Kris quickly apologized, giving her a quick peck to the cheek. “I was going over a few things with my secretary.”

 

Jessica gave him a forgiving smile before hugging onto him. “That’s alright.” She poked his nose with a feather touch. “Now what do you want to eat for dinner?”

 

Reaching the parking lot, the married couple stepped out together and strolled towards their car all while continuing their conversation.

 

“Anything is fine. As long as you make it.” Kris unlocked the car and the two separated to go to either side of the car.

 

Tossing their belongings into the back seat, Kris then reached over and buckled Jessica in before doing the same for himself. Kris then revved up the engine and proceeded to drive out of the parking lot.

 

“Anything?” Jessica queried.

 

Kris nodded absentmindedly. “Yep, anything.” He replied, concentrating on the road.

 

“Let’s have fish tonight.” Jessica grinned. “Stop by the supermarket before we go home.”

 

Kris stalled the car in the middle of the road. “What?” he spoke rhetorically with his mouth agape, staring at his wife.

 

Knowing what her husband was fretting about, Jessica decided to stand her ground. “Fish. I want to eat fish tonight. You said you were fine with anything.” She blinked ever so innocently, as if Kris had no problem with fish.

 

A loud honking sound erupted from behind them. Kris snapped his attention back towards the road and quickly accelerated the car. “We are not having fish.” He spoke as if they had no other choice.

 

“Yes we are.” Jessica rebutted in a happy singsong voice.

 

“No, we’re not.” Kris growled, an unhappy scowl written all over his face.

 


 

 

Kris didn’t dare touch his plate of food. The dinner looked beyond mouth-wateringly delicious, but he knew if he even took one bite, he would end up spitting it all out and wash his mouth clean.

 

Kris looked up to see his wife happily enjoying her meal with no problem whatsoever. Gulping, Kris couldn’t help but think about how hungry he was. He swore he could hear his stomach roaring at him. Wanting to touch his plate of food badly, Kris resisted after seeing the cooked piece of fish placed right on top of his whole meal. Kris could already feel the invisible tears come. If only he didn’t lose the battle with Jessica.

 

Jessica couldn’t hide the smirk she had on her face. Seeing her husband in a mental conflict made her want to laugh. While she ate peacefully, she enjoyed the meal with a side of amusement. Jessica glanced up to see Kris slumped in his seat with a gloom expression on his face. A pang of guilt instantly coursed through her and Jessica realized that she was practically torturing him. She just wanted a little fun and never intended to make Kris eat the food he most despised.

 

Reaching over, Jessica quickly swiped the piece of fish away with her fork. Kris’ suddenly flicked his eyes up when the fish he was glaring at was taken away.

 

“I’m never going to let you starve,” Jessica spoke, giving him a gentle smile.

 

A big grin slid onto Kris’ lips. “Because you love me too much?”

 

Jessica giggled and nodded her head. “Because Jessica loves her Kris too much.” She jabbed her fork into her pasta before directing it in front of her husband’s mouth.

 

“And Kris loves her Jessica just as much.” Kris happily ate off Jessica’s fork.

 

After a couple minutes of having Kris wolfing down his food, Jessica remembered what she wanted to tell him. “Kris,” she placed her fork down and rested her chin on both her palms.

 

Kris looked up at her after sticking another forkful of food in his mouth.

 

“Let’s go to the movies this weekend! There’s a really good movie coming out on…” Jessica’s voice trailed off when she saw the glum expression on Kris’ face. “What’s wrong?”

 

Kris cleared his throat. “We can’t…”

 

Jessica tilted her head in wonderment. “Why? What’s wrong?” she reached across the table and entwined their fingers together, all with a worried look.

 

“Well, you know about the meeting earlier today,” Kris explained, earning a knowing nod from Jessica. “They said I have to go on a business trip. I have to go and recruit people.”

 

Blinking for a moment, Jessica took in what he said. “Oh,” she straightened up in her seat. “Then in that case, we can go see the movie on Monday.” she regained her happy smile and picked her fork up again.

 

“Jess, it’s for a whole two weeks. Fourteen days.” Kris felt his heart stop for a second when Jessica had a small frown on her pouty lips.

 

Jessica regained her composure and only grinned. “That’s fine. We can always watch the movie another time. You’re still going to be close to home during trip right? Where are you going for the trip? Is it the Busan area like it was two years ago?” she blinked innocently, knowing how these kinds of trips are. “I can go and visit.”

 

Kris rubbed the back of his neck and cleared his throat once more. “It’s…it’s in Japan, Jess. Osaka, Japan.” Kris swore he felt his heart stop when Jessica looked up at him with wide, devastated eyes.

 

Jessica felt dry up, as she blankly blinked at Kris before her. Suddenly, she didn’t feel like eating anymore. Her appetite disappeared at the mention of Kris going away to Japan for two whole weeks. An unknowing frown drooped on her lips. She wasn’t going to see her angry bird for two whole weeks? There wouldn’t be anyone beside her on their bed for two weeks? Who was she going to talk to at home? Who would give her daily kisses everyday? Jessica couldn’t find a reason not to frown.

 

“I’m going with Jihae. We’re leaving in three days.” Kris didn’t want to be the cause of Jessica’s saddened look, but he knew he had to do what he had to do. “It’s going to be okay.”

 

Not being able to process a response, Jessica only sat there frozen on the spot. The fork in her hand suddenly slipped and fell, clanking lifelessly onto the floor.

 

Jessica didn’t know if it was going to be okay.

 

 



{Author's Note}: Sorry for the looong wait guys! I've been busy and tired lately. Hope you enjoyed the update. Get ready to buckle yourselves in and prepare for some loops and drops on this rollercoaster ride, because it's coming up~! Please leave your lovely comments below! ^_^

Thank you for upvoting you beautiful readers! 
minbae
ohmykrease
beckybusss
awesomemener