Chapter 39

Forever

Author’s POV:

 

Jessica only stared back at Kris with just as much surprise. All the thoughts in Kris’ head became flashing lights and the message is causing a bodily stall. Missed period, sensitive smell, food aversions, her deep sleeping. It all made sense to him now. His wife is pregnant!

 

“Oh, Jess.” Kris whispered, splaying his hand over her clothed tummy with extreme care. There was a little blip growing inside Jessica.

 

His eyes flickered up and met hers. Almost immediately, the two hugged onto each other, their lips connecting at the same time. Parting, their mouths hung with a genuine happy smile as their foreheads were pinned.

 

“My baby is having a baby.” Kris voiced out softly, making both of them giggle.

 

We’re having a baby.” Jessica corrected him, meshing their lips together.

 

Brushing their noses together, Kris looked deep into her eyes. “Yes, we are.” He grinned. “But in any case, we need to see a doctor first.”

 

Of course, they don’t know for sure if Jessica is really carrying an offspring within her at the moment, but the possibility of it made them beyond joyous.

 

Jessica only nodded her head. “Of course.”

 

Their mellow eyes stayed watching each other. A little mischievous grin came onto Kris’ lips. Before she knew it, Jessica was being picked up and her legs wrapped around his waist. A small yelp escaped her lips at the suddenness. She was unable to voice out her surprise when Kris attached their lips together. In response, she s her arms around his neck. Kris tightened his arms around her waist, only to quickly loosen them up. He didn’t want to hurt the possible baby.

 

Jessica felt what he was doing and knew exactly what he was thinking. “You do realize that it’s probably only a blip right now.” She pulled away to refer to her stomach, knowing that he was being too careful.

 

“Just don’t want to ruin any chances.” Kris gave her a generous smile. “My wife is precious.” He set her down onto her feet with extreme care, as if she were fragile glass.

 

 

 

“Why are there so many?” Kris eyed the wide selection of pregnancy tests on the shelf. “They all look the same.” He didn’t understand the complexity of creating so many different types of the same product when they all did the same thing.

 

The first thing after last night’s discovery, the couple made plans to visit the nearest drug store for a pregnancy test for Jessica. They planned to take a test before going to the doctors for a check up. That way they could make sure Jessica was indeed somewhat pregnant. Some evidence, per se.

 

“That way we have a choice.” Jessica took one off the shelf and examined it. “We should just read the box and see which one is better.”

 

Kris didn’t see any good reason to actually look through all of them. “Let’s just get that one.” He pointed to a specific box, making Jessica blink at him for his choice of pregnancy test. “It’s the most expensive. It should be the best.”

 

Jessica giggled at his ridiculous reasoning. “Just read the boxes so we can be safer that way.” She ordered him and he hesitantly followed.

 

“Whoa…five days is a long time!” Kris made a face at the box he was currently examining. “You pee on the stick and wait five days for a response? That’s way too long.” He grumbled, placing the box back on the shelf.

 

Not liking the lengthy response as well, Jessica reached for the expensive one Kris had pointed out in the beginning. While she was reading thoroughly through the instructions and information, Jessica didn’t realize that Kris had walked off for a quick moment. It wasn’t until Kris returned to her side and spoke up did she become aware of the additional presence with them.

 

“Which brand is the most popular and precise?” Kris asked the lady, who was an obvious employee.

 

“Well, this one is the number one recommended among women. It gives you a response in a minimum of around five to ten minutes.” The worker explained, evident that she knows her information about the drug-store products.

 

Kris nodded his head before thanking the employee. Grabbing an armful of the recommended boxes off the shelf, he smiled at Jessica. “There isn’t anything else we need, right?” he asked, seeming very rushed to go home.

 

Jessica became surprised at Kris’ fast movements. “I’m pretty sure we only need one box, Kris.” She glanced at the worker’s incredulous reaction to Kris’ actions. “One is enough.” She gave him an ordered look, trying to make the lady stop gawking weirdly at them.

 

Kris caught on and noticed the worker’s stare. He obediently shoved all the boxes in his hands back onto the shelf and gave a meek smile. Jessica just kept the box she had in her hand and gave the woman a smile before walking off, expecting Kris to follow suit.

 

Once she was about to turn the corner, Jessica realized that Kris was not behind her. She spun back to have a shocked expression at what her husband was doing.

 

“Listen, I’m not trying at all to be weird here, but you seem to know a lot about pregnancy.” Kris was starting up a conversation with the employee that gave him an awkward look. “I’m asking as a person who has no experience with pregnancy, but do you happen to know whether or not you can have while the woman is pregnant? Because you know, my –”

 

“KRIS!” Jessica went over and grabbed him by the arm, yanking him with her and out of the aisle. Oh, how embarrassing!

 

Boy, did that worker think that they were weird.

 


 

“Why aren’t you using it now?” Kris asked, waving the just purchased pregnancy test box.

 

“I don’t need to pee right now.” Jessica replied without a glance and continued eying her laptop screen.

 

Kris’ shoulders deflated, not liking the fact that this is taking too long. He expected that once they got home, Jessica would pee on the stick and then they’ll find out the results. Then he could quickly schedule an appointment and get on with the check-up. He was eager for the check-up, as there was something that’s been on his mind ever since he realized his wife could be pregnant.

 

“What are you doing right now?” Kris flopped onto the bed right next to her.

 

“Looking up some information about pregnancy. We should visit the bookstore. I want to pick up a book.”

 

Kris immediately sat up and shifted in front of the screen. Not bothering to see if Jessica was still reading a section, he scrolled down the page. He wanted to find a certain section of the page.

 

“Kris, I was still reading.” Jessica pouted, trying to take the laptop away from him.

 

“I found it!” he exclaimed, making Jessica halt. “Here we go…” Kris speedily read through a couple lines. “Here, read this part.” He handed the laptop back to Jessica.

 

Jessica gave him a questioning look but followed his orders anyway. Her eyes scanned the words; taking note of was she was reading. “…” She blinked at him and Kris only gestured her to read it aloud. “You may have ual during the time of your pregnancy. However, it is careful that you and your partner keep a slow pace, in regards to the baby’s health.”

 

Kris gave a winning smile. “So…?” he crossed his arms, knowing that he finally got an answer to his dying question. A very positive answer at that.

 

“No.” Jessica replied and scrolled the article all the way back up to where she was originally reading.

 

“Why not?”

 

“I want to wait till after the doctor’s appointment. Maybe there’s a time where it’s bad to have . I want to make sure.”

 

“Why don’t you look it up online?”

 

“Because I want a professional telling me, not some stranger on the Internet.”

 

“…” Kris knew she was right.

 

Jessica finally looked up from her laptop, expecting Kris to retort. Her eyes locked onto Kris’ eyes and she saw that he was looking at her with a straight, deadpanned face. Just as she was going to ask what was wrong, Kris beat her to it and spoke up.

 

“Hold on.” Kris jumped off the bed and ran out of the room, leaving her dumbfounded.

 

Shrugging, Jessica didn’t think much of it and continued to read the article on her laptop. She heard shuffling noises from downstairs and started to wonder what Kris was doing. Looking up at the door, she listened attentively as she heard him run back up the stairs. It wasn’t long until Kris made it back into the room.

 

“Here,” Kris handed her a bottle of water, only to receive a weird look from Jessica. “Drink so you can go pee faster.” He saw her obeying and gulp down the water before he went ahead and read the instructions for the pregnancy test. “There’s three sticks in here. Should we try it throughout the day?” he glanced at the time and saw that it was almost noon. “You can do one now, after dinner time and then before bed. That way we can make sure.”

 

“You’re in such a rush, Kris.” Jessica grinned amusedly at him.

 

“You can’t blame me. A man needs answers about his needs. The faster we get a doctors appointment, the faster I get you under me.” Kris’ smirk made it clear that he was really looking forward to having his ways.

 

Jessica gasped and shoved him for having such a dirty mouth. “What if you’re not allowed to have during pregnancy?” she suddenly had an epiphany.

 

Kris looked up from the instruction sheet and faced her. “Then we won’t.” his answer made her smile, as she expected that answer. “Our baby’s health is more important than my selfish hormonal needs.” He pecked her lips.

 

Jessica nodded her head, finding it heartwarming that Kris was so involved with their potential baby. She just knew Kris would be a wonderful father. Downing the last of the water, Jessica was handed another one by Kris.

 

Within a mere ten minutes, Jessica had to use the bathroom. Being handed a stick, Jessica waited until she could actually pee. “What’s wrong?” Kris asked, wondering why she wasn’t doing anything except sit there on the toilet with the stick held under her.

 

Jessica blinked up at him with anxious eyes. “It’s nerve-wracking.” She revealed her thoughts. “I’m too nervous to pee.”

 

Kris couldn’t help but grin at her last sentence. “Here,” he the faucet and continued looking at her. Jessica squirmed a little under his gaze. “Come on, Jess. You’ve peed in front of me a bunch of times already.”

 

“But this is different.” She explained, still being unable to actually release her bladder. “We’re talking about a baby, Kris.”

 

Kris only looked at her indifferently, not knowing what she was referring to. Jessica glanced over at the door and then at him in a very obvious way, letting Kris understand this time.

 

“You want me to get out?” he asked in surprise. Jessica nodded her head. “Really now?” His wife seriously nodded her head. “Fine.” He raised his hand in defeat and walked out.

 

Jessica gaped at the door. “Really, Kris?” she gave Kris a glare, telling him to stop standing right outside the door and staring at her.

 

Kris huffed out a sigh and pouted. “Fine.” He grumbled. “I’ll even shut the door this time, okay?” he closed the door as naturally as possible, acting as if he couldn’t care less.

 

Jessica didn’t move an inch and gave a deadpanned look at the door. “Kris!”

 

Immediately, Kris stopped peeking through the crack of the door. He gave the door a final push to shut it all the way and quickly ran away from the door, as if he was a toddler who was caught doing something they weren’t supposed to do.

 

A small grin came onto Jessica’s face, knowing how cute that was of Kris. Jeez, her husband is practically a kid himself.

 

Taking in a deep breath, Jessica had to now concentrate on taking the pregnancy test.

 


 

“Is it ready yet?” Kris asked for the fifth time in two minutes.

 

“Kris, it hasn’t been five minutes yet.” Jessica munched on a potato chip. “The instructions stated that it takes five to ten minutes.”

 

Kris only frowned and continued staring at the pregnancy stick on the edge of the sink. “What’s going to appear on the stick when five to ten minutes pass?” he asked, curious.

 

Jessica stopped watching the television and got off the bed to grab the box on her vanity table. “It says that one bar means negative and two bars mean positive.” She placed her bag of potato chips down before walking into the bathroom, where her anxious husband is. “So if two bars appear, it means I’m most likely pregnant.”

 

“Two bars, okay.” Kris took note and nodded his head.

 

“Are you really going to stand here by yourself the entire time?” she mused.

 

Kris crooked up an eyebrow. “No, because you’re going to stand here with me.” He grinned, pulling her towards him so her back fits flush with his chest.

 

“Oh, yeah?” Jessica seemed to challenge him. Kris nodded his head with finality. “Because I’m going to watch TV.” She blinked mischievously, trying to inch her way towards the door discreetly.

 

“No you’re not.” Kris only pulled her back and hugged onto her.

 

The two ended up staring at each other with eyes full of affection, grins smeared on their faces. Jessica leaned up gave him a quick peck. Kris’ fingers held her chin, making her look directly at him. The pad of his thumb brushed over her lower lip, as he examined every inch of his wife’s flawless facial features.

 

Purposely pouting her lips, Jessica managed to place a kiss on his thumb. The sensual movement made the glint in Kris’ eyes change. His fingers moved from her chin and trailed on her jaw-line, only stopping when they entangled in her honey brown locks of hair. Pulling her head closer as he advanced towards her, Kris was about to attach their lips for a very deep kiss.

 

The only thing that stopped him was Jessica, as she spoke up. “I think you might want to schedule that appointment, Kris.” She breathed out in a whisper.

 

Flickering his eyes fully open, he caught Jessica’s sight of vision that was directed towards the sink. Dashing his eyes towards the pregnancy test, Kris immediately had his eyes widen in surprise. His hands quickly grabbed the stick.

 

Clearly printed on the stick was two pink bars. 

 



{Author's Note}: Aaaaaand we're getting to the good part. Might be a while for the next update...I'm getting real busy lately. asdfghjkl; Leave me comments please ^^