Chapter 40

Forever

Author’s POV:

 

Having her doctor recommend an obstetrician to her, Jessica felt much more relieved to know that her doctor is transferring her over to a pregnancy specialist for the time being. There was still many things to figure out and learn, now that she’s about to become a mother. Unexpectedly, she was much more calm about this than she thought she would be. She thought she’d flip out and quite possibly just be in disbelief for about several hours before accepting the reality. Jessica’s taking it really well.

 

It seems like Kris was much more excited and jittery about her pregnancy. The man had called up the doctor’s office right when Jessica’s first pregnancy test came out, all while holding the stick in his hand, not caring if it still had his wife’s urine on it. Not to mention how impatient he was when he was waiting for the results on the test. It’s safe to say that Kris was more than excited and ready to become a father.

 

Kris sat there silently in the waiting room, his right arm resting on the chair that Jessica was sitting on beside him. They were here for Jessica’s first prenatal appointment. Blinking intently, the married man watched, as women would walk in and out of the room, each of them having some sort of a stomach. Jessica only sat there, noticing the same thing as she held onto Kris’ hand. They looked out of place, seeming that Jessica didn’t have a belly yet.

 

It wasn’t until a pregnant woman took a seat beside Jessica. Jessica gave the woman a smile, where the woman only grinned back. Glancing down, Jessica noticed that she seemed to be deep into her pregnancy.

 

“I’m six months in.” The woman’s eyes crinkled, noticing that Jessica was looking down at her stomach. “I take it that you’re just starting?” she saw that Jessica had a flat tummy.

 

Jessica reactively glanced down at her stomach before nodding meekly. “I’m here for my first check up. Just making sure to see if I really am pregnant.” She placed her hand on her tummy.

 

The woman only smiled happily at her. “I remember my first child.” She sighed contently as she reminisced. “I’m having my second one in three more months.” She rubbed her tummy.

 

“How did your first pregnancy go, if I may ask?” Jessica was interested in hearing a real story.

 

“Oh~ I remember it as clear as day.” She started. “When someone tells you that pregnancy is easy, they’re lying. It’s hard. The body goes through many changes and it’s a truly different experience. Especially the labor, that’s the hardest part. It’s a type of pain you just can’t explain. It was like my body was ripping apart! It’s the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced. It’s like taking the hardest dump EVER. It may sound like pregnancy is a pain and a mediocre thing to do, but in the end, it’s completely worth it. Trust me.” She gave a happy smile, as if she just didn’t ruin Jessica’s view on birth giving.

 

Jessica couldn’t utter a word as she stared at the lady in disbelief. It was a relief that the nurse had called out her name or else she wouldn’t have known what to say. She quickly stood up and bid the woman goodbye.

 

“Do you think she was joking about that whole pregnancy thing?” Kris whispered in Jessica’s ear. He was obviously freaked out about that woman’s explanation too.

 

Jessica only shrugged and shook her head, flabbergasted to the point where she just couldn’t even form a reply.

 

“I’d like to think that every woman is different.” Kris didn’t want his wife feeling like she was ripping in half…or taking a huge dump for that matter.

 

“Me too…” Jessica sighed out before they filed behind the nurse that shut the door right behind them.

 

Being directed into an office, the two seated themselves on the chairs opposite the desk. It wasn’t a long wait for the doctor. They could barely even examine the office before they stood right back up on their seats. Once the door swung open, Kris was in for a surprise.

 

“Ah, Mr. and Mrs. Wu, I presume?” The doctor grinned charmingly, sauntering behind the desk.

 

Kris only glowered at the doctor, as if trying to burn a laser through the human. This was not what he expected.

 

“I’m Donghae. Lee Donghae.” The doctor introduced himself. “You must be Jessica.” The male met eyes with Jessica before shaking her hand. “And you must be Kris.” He directed towards the said man and the two curtly shook hands.

 

Kris kept his icy look as he shook the doctor’s hand. His grip was a little tight and he felt Donghae stiffen a tad bit at the force. Kris cracked a small forced smile before letting go. Never in a million years did he think that his wife’s obstetrician would be a man. Never did he think that another man would be able to touch or even see his wife’s areas that only he could see and touch.

 

But Jessica didn’t seem to mind. “Nice to meet you, doctor Lee.” She grinned, taking a seat as he gestured her to do so. Kris following as well while still giving the doctor a hard look.

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you two.” Donghae grinned comfortably in his office chair. “I’ve been informed that you two will be expecting quite possibly. Well, of course, which is why you’re here now.” He chuckled, receiving a nod from Jessica. “Before we get started with a basic checkup, are there any questions you have for me? I’m willing to take questions any time during or even after the checkup as well.”

 

Jessica didn’t seem to have much questions, since she knew that all her questions were only to come when she finds out whether she really is pregnant or not. Kris on the other hand, had one.

 

“Are you the only obstetrician around?” Kris asked straightforward. “There are any other obstetricians, preferably female doctors?” he had his arm around his wife.

 

Jessica only faced Kris with a worried look, knowing from the tone in his voice that he was somewhat ticked off.

 

Donghae crooked his eyebrows up due to the sharp tone in Kris’ voice. “Unfortunately, I am the only obstetrician around, but I do take my job very seriously, Mr. Wu.” He explained with a professional tone. “If you are worried about anything, you’re welcome to accompany your wife for each checkup, as many of my patients’ companions do as well.”

 

With one hand on Kris’ thigh, Jessica glanced from the doctor back to her husband. In a split second, Kris’ eyes met hers and she gave him a reassuring look. Her doctor had recommended doctor Lee to her. She trusts her doctor and knew that her doctor wouldn’t recommend Donghae for no reason. Kris only let out a deep breath and gave a brief nod, letting her know that he was going to be out on the watch for anything that goes wrong.

 

Jessica smiled and gave him a quick peck to the corner of his lips before turning towards the doctor. “Let’s start the checkup.”

 

With the happy vibe thriving in the air again, the three made it into the examination room. Jessica sat herself on the exam table while Kris took a seat in the chair beside her. Donghae washed his hands thoroughly after reviewing papers that was in Jessica’s file folder.

 

“I’ve been told that you wanted to reassure that you are indeed pregnant?” Donghae asked, taking a seat on the circular roller seat.

 

Jessica nodded her head. “I’ve only taken a pregnancy test from the drug store and I wasn’t sure if that was extremely accurate or not.”

 

“Not a problem, we can take a urine test right now and get results quickly.” Donghae took out a urine sample cup from the drawer and handed it to her. “You can go when you need to.” He gestured to the in-suite bathroom.

 

Jessica only hopped off the table and rushed over to the bathroom. “I actually have to go now.” She smiled meekly.

 

“The faster the better.” Donghae joked before the bathroom door shut.

 

With Jessica out of the room, the tension in the air suddenly wavered back. The two men were left in the room with an intense level of electric presence between them. Kris being like a lowly growling lion, as he stayed silent.

 

Donghae decided to stop the strong atmosphere. “Do you have any questions or concerns regarding your wife’s pregnancy, Mr. Wu?” he asked as he put on a pair of latex gloves.

 

“We’ll see when Jess comes out.” Kris only briefly replied ever so shortly.

 

As if on cue, Jessica walked out of the restroom with a filled cup in hand. “Don’t worry, the outside of the cup is clean.” She commented, making the atmosphere brighten up immediately.

 

Donghae took the cup from her and with a press of a button on the wall, a nurse came in and took the urine sample away after the doctor instructed her to do so. “We have a few minutes to spare, so I can take any questions regarding pregnancy.” He said, knowing surely that his patient is indeed already one hundred percent conceiving a baby. “Any questions, comments, concerns…”

 

At the moment, Jessica glanced at Kris, knowing that he needed answers to his one very important question. Seeing that he husband was still stubbornly trying to play cat and mouse with the obstetrician, she decided to take the chance and do it for him.

 

“Is it okay to have ual during the time of my pregnancy?” Jessica asked, trying to suppress any sort of embarrassing emotions at all. It wasn’t long until the blush crept up in her face.

 

“It is okay to do so, but as the pregnancy goes on further, I do not recommend it. It can be risky for the baby so I suggest that after the second trimester, to halt the .” Donghae answered professionally, making Jessica feel a bit better.

 

A little playful smirk hung on Kris’ lips when Jessica glanced over again. On one hand, she was extremely embarrassed for asking the question, but on the other hand, she was glad that she cooled her husband down from his slowly bubbling anger. As long as she gets to see that grin on his face.

 

The nurse came back in and had a brief conversation with doctor Lee. Once she exited the room for the second time, Donghae clapped his hands together.

 

“I’d like to congratulate you two on your first baby.” He smiled widely. “The test came out positive and you are indeed pregnant, Jessica.”

 

The couple’s faces brightened up and finally, they got their answer. A solid answer along with solid proof. Yes. They are going to have their first child. Yes. They are going to be parents. Yes.

 

Jessica reached out and hugged onto Kris tightly as his arms folded around her waist. As if they couldn’t get happier, the two connected their lips together and whispered loving words to each other.

 

Donghae didn’t mind the couples’ display of affection, as he often saw it with many of his other patients. It was normal and of course, this is one out of many reasons as to why he loves his job. Waiting until the couple was done taking in the announcement, he then decided to start the checkup.

 

The questioning came first. “Do you have any allergies or take any medication of any sort? Any illnesses that is present in both you or your husband’s family that I need to know of?”

 

“I do not have any allergies and I only take medication if I am sick. An ibuprofen.” Jessica replied. “Kris and I do not have any illnesses present in our families.”

 

“Any health history including any medical conditions you have, or any contagious diseases if you have been abroad?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“When was the last time you received your menstrual period?”

 

Jessica sat still at the question. “I don’t quite remember. I do know that it does start in the middle of each month. I did realize that earlier this week, I was supposed to be on it but it didn’t come.”

 

“Do you know when you perhaps conceived?”

 

“No.”

 

Doctor Lee nodded his head. “We’ll take an ultrasound later and figure that out. I’ll start the actual checkup now.”

 

Kris raised his eyebrows. “What exactly will you be doing for the checkup?”

 

“A weigh-in, blood pressure reading, a pelvic exam, pap smear, and then a exam.” Donghae answered normally, as he has done it for years now.

 

An icy glare darted at the obstetrician as Kris was not going to like this.

 

“It is mandatory for me to do the checkup in order to determine her health for the baby and also for herself. I need to know what is best for your wife and her pregnancy.”

 

It was as if Kris was pacing around like an angry lion in a steel cage. This was testing him. He did not sign up for a male obstetrician. He did not want another man touching his wife. He didn’t care if Donghae was a professional doctor or not. Jessica was for his eyes and his eyes only. Kris was not going to budge.

 

“We’ll start with the weigh-in when you’re ready.” Donghae directed himself towards a scale in the corner of the room.

 

Jessica faced her husband. “Kris, he’s–”

 

“I’m not going to let someone other than me touch you where only you and I can touch.” Kris frowned. It’s like voluntarily letting his wife get harassed.

 

“He’s just doing his job.” Jessica tried to make him see the better side to this. “We can see the little baby blip and we can see how healthy I am and then we can go home.”

 

“I’ll let you go as far as a blood test. He’s not going to touch you anywhere else.” Kris darted a laser jet glare towards Donghae’s direction.

 

“It’s his job to do this, Kris. It’s nothing bad and I’m not in any danger.” Jessica ran her hand through his hair to calm him down. “He’s a professional and he’s only checking for any pregnancy complications. This is the only time and he’s not going to touch me anymore after that. Just let me do this checkup, okay?” her voice was soothing and comforting.

 

Kris locked his eyes with hers, no sign of giving up. “Hell. To. The. ing. No.”

 



{Author's Note}: I knew I said I updates were going to take a while, but I just couldn't help myself for the chapter. omg. Things are just getting started, lemme tell you. hehehe~ LEAVE A COMMENT AND I MIGHT JUST UPDATE QUICKER.