Chapter 37

Forever

Author’s POV:

 

“Jess, wake up.” Kris whispered in her ear gently. “It’s time to get up for work. We’re going to be late.” Jessica only grumbled from being interrupted in her deep slumber. “Come on~” he lightly shook her body.

 

“Mm~” Jessica still had her eyes shut before she lazily stretched out her body like a cat.

 

It’s been the third day in a row that Kris had to wake her up for work. For Kris, it’s been a big change, considering that he’s usually the one who has more trouble waking up. Jessica had always been the one to get up first and always be his wake up call, his personal alarm clock. Things have recently changed and Jessica seemed to be much more tired these days.

 

“Lazy baby.” Kris commented before entwining their hands together. “Come on, let’s get up.”

 

Only when Kris tugged on her hands did she open her eyes and slide off the bed. Once she was up, they only took one step towards the bathroom and Jessica stopped in place and cringed. Kris immediately noticed her painful, scrunched up face.

 

“What’s wrong?” he held a comforting arm around her, making sure she was okay.

 

Jessica took in a deep breath and shook her head. “Nothing. Just a bit dizzy.” She shrugged. “I stood up too fast.”

 

Kris pecked her forehead. “Silly.” He gained a smile from her before he started to usher her into the bathroom.

 


 

The morning went by normally. Too normally. It wasn’t what Kris was looking forward to, but what had happened already happened. He was hoping to get a little pre-breakfast time in the shower, but that didn’t happen as Jessica happened to yawn through the entire shower time. Seeing that the morning didn’t go the way he planned, he figured he could somehow make it up during lunchtime.

 

His hopes and wishes shattered when his work piled up, making him unable to even leave his office for a break. Being upset, he didn’t fail to call up Jessica to inform her.

 

“There’s too much work and I can’t do lunch today.” Kris sighed, managing to get to the main subject.

 

“It’s okay, Kris.” Jessica replied, more than understandingly. “Fany and I have to catch up on work too.”

 

“You sure? I don’t want you skipping lunch or anything.” Kris knew that his wife could overwork and always manages to forget to eat or rest.

 

Jessica grinned at his worries. “I’m sure. I’ll be sure to eat something too, considering that Fany is here constantly reminding me.” Her voice had a small weariness to it and of course, Kris noticed such a small change.

 

“Are you okay? You sound a bit off.” Kris furrowed his eyebrows, leaning more intently on his phone.

 

“Mm~ I’m fine. Just having a headache.” He could already see Jessica pouting over on the other side. “I guess I’ve been staring at too many papers at once.” The rustling sound of papers was evident.

 

“Still?” Kris sounded more than concerned, knowing that she’s been receiving a headache ever since she woke up this morning. “I told you to take some medication from the break room.”

 

Jessica grumbled. “You know I don’t like taking pills.”

 

“Well, your health is more important than your dislike for pills.” Kris made a good point, but Jessica was sure to be stubborn.

 

“I’d rather sleep it off than take medication.”

 

“Jess…” Kris’ tone was condescending.

 

“I’ll be fine.” Jessica tried to reassure him. “It’s just a small headache. I’ll take medicine if I really need to…which I don’t.” she mumbled the last part.

 

A sigh escaped Kris’ lips. “Fine. I’ll check up on you later.”

 

“Mm~ Have fun working.” Jessica chided, happy that she doesn’t have as much to do as he does.

 

“You too.” Kris’ voice was dull and dreading. “I love you.”

 

“I love you too.” Jessica grinned before ending the call.

 

Tiffany eyed Jessica funnily for a moment, just waiting to be noticed after Jessica set down her phone. Catching her stare, Jessica gave her best friend and weird look, asking why she is looking at her like that.

 

“Are you sick?” Tiffany couldn’t help but overhear the conversation she had with Kris over the phone.

 

Jessica slumped her seat. “No, just a slight headache. Woke up feeling tired today, that’s all.”

 

“Don’t overwork yourself.” Tiffany warned, already acting as if she was her mother. “I guess I’ll have to do all the reading today.” She took the papers from Jessica.

 

“Thank you, mom.” Jessica joked, grabbing her nearby juice box and taking a sip in a relaxed manner.

 

Shifting through the papers, Tiffany realized that she needed a copy of them. “We never made copies, did we?”

 

Jessica only shrugged, “Ask your secretary. I just received these files when I got here today. They were already sitting on my desk.”

 

“I’ll go make copies.” Tiffany groaned, knowing what was to come. “I’ll be back…hopefully within the hour or two. Who knows how packed the copy room would be?” she rolled her eyes before sauntering out the office.

 

“Have fun~ Good luck!” Jessica giggled, knowing she wouldn’t have to bear the ridiculous long line in the copy room.

 

A small yawn escaped before she tossed her empty juice box away. Seeing that Tiffany would take a while to come back, Jessica felt that she could get in some well-needed rest. It was a good thing that she had a right sized sofa in her office.

 

This little headache was bothering Jessica the whole day and some sleep would definitely help the situation, she thought, as she clambered onto the sofa and slipped the heels off her feet. In fact, she was feeling quite sleepy. Fatigue is the worst enemy, especially during work hours. Shutting her eyes, Jessica lies there comfortably and was ready to rest her eyes. She of course wouldn’t be able to fall asleep into deep slumber unless Kris was there.

 

Not even a few seconds after closing her eyes, Jessica heard her door creak open. She had no choice but to peek an eye open to see the intruder. Seeing who had come into her office, she had to stop her resting and force herself to sit up. The action had made her feel dizzy. She had to stop getting up so fast, as it’s hurting her head.

 

“Hey.” Kai looked around, as if checking for something or someone. “Is Tiff here?”

 

Jessica gave him a small smile. “No, she went to the copy room and is currently playing the waiting game.” She said sarcastically, despite her tiredness. “Maybe you can keep her company while she’s waiting.”

 

“Oh, actually, I’m not here to see Tiff right now.” Kai rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, not knowing how to tell Jessica what he wants to say. “I’m sort of here to see you and I think this is the best time to talk to you, since Tiff isn’t here.”

 

Jessica blinked and merely nodded her head. “Sure, take a seat.” She patted the seat next to her, willing to hear what her best friend’s boyfriend has to say. “What is it about?”

 

“Uh, well, it’s about Tiff.” Kai chuckled, taking the seat. “I don’t know if she’s told you, but she’s been pretty frustrated at me.”

 

Jessica thought about it for a second and grinned. “Yep. I’m glad you know. She’s been ranting a lot.”

 

“Yeah, I can tell. She’s been putting up with me for a while now.” Kai sighed.

 

“If you know how she feels, why are you making her feel that way?” Jessica tried to ask indirectly about what he’s up to.

 

Kai bit his lip. “That’s what I want to talk to you about.” He pointed out. “You’re her best friend, practically her sister. You know her just as much as I know her, probably even more. I’m sure we both know that she’s a bright person, someone who catches onto things quickly.”

 

Jessica arched an eyebrow. “Are you planning a surprise for her?” she jumped to the chase.

 

Kai smiled meekly as if she was caught. “Well, yeah. Something like that.”

 

“I knew it!” Jessica jumped in her seat, excited that she guessed correctly. “Fany has been so insecure! But she’s going to be so shocked to know that you’re planning something for her!”

 

Kai laughed at Jessica’s enthusiasm. “Yeah, but I’m going to have to have you keep this a secret or else it wouldn’t be a surprise anymore.”

 

Jessica sat up straight and paid attention. “Oh sure, yeah.” She nodded her head. “But what’s the surprise?”

 

“He’s taking a page out of my book!” Kris’ voice interrupted all the sudden, making both heads turn towards him.

 

“Kris, what are you doing here?” Jessica thought he was too busy to even walk out of his office.

 

Kris shrugged and took a seat right next to her, draping an arm over her shoulders. “I told you that I’d check up on you.” He planted a kiss on her cheek.

 

Jessica only entwined their fingers together and faced back at Kai. “Sorry, what were you saying, before you were rudely interrupted?” she smiled, smacking Kris in the leg as she emphasized those specific words.

 

Kai just laughed at Kris’ wincing face. “The surprise…well, it’s not really a surprise. It’s more of a…a confession?”

 

The married woman only tilted her head in confusion at his unclear words. “What?”

 

“A proposal.” Kai confidently stated this time. “I’m going to propose to Tiffany Hwang.”

 

Jessica’s only reaction to his comment was the dropping her jaw. She stilled in place and had agape, her eyes still staring at Kai. She looked as if she couldn’t believe what Kai just said and she needed a double take.

 

“…I’m going to propose to Tiffany.” Kai eyed her weirdly, repeating himself just in case Jessica didn’t hear him the first time. He was honestly being freaked out by Jessica’s reaction. “…Are you okay?”

 

Kris only reached forward and closed with the use of his fingers. “You’re going to dislocate your jaw, angel.”

 

Jessica moved her lips, trying to find the right words to say. “Y-You’re…going to propose. To F-Fany.” She managed to stutter out, blinking very slowly.

 

Kai nodded his head. “Yes I am. We’ve been together for many years now and I think it’s time. I love her a lot and we've been inseparable ever since we met.”

 

Jessica was just speechless at this point. She was in such a shock that she couldn’t even put it in words. Her best friend is going to get married!! Holy cow, wait till she sees Tiffany’s expression! This. This right here was exactly what Jessica has been waiting for. To see one of the members get married. Of course, she and Kris were the first ones out of the group to marry, so it’s exciting to know that someone else would be next.

 

“I told you. He’s trying to copy my tactics.” Kris shook his head. “So unoriginal.”

 

Both people ignored Kris. “Congratulations! Oh my god! I’m so happy for you and Fany! Oh my goodness!” Jessica was late at expressing her congratulations and still in the midst of freaking out. “I just…I just can’t…wow. I can’t believe it. She’s going to be so excited!”

 

“Yeah…” Kai laughed with shyness. “But obviously it’s a surprise, so I’m trusting you guys to stay silent about this.”

 

“Jongin just wants to get rid of his ual frustrations.” Kris burst out laughing with humor.

 

Kai only punched the guy in the arm while Jessica slapped his other arm. “Oh shush, you.” Jessica whacked his chest lightly.

 

“Well, he’s half right about that.” Kai openly confessed, chuckling. “I just don’t want to touch her because things might get out of hand. A man can only wait so many years.” You can’t really blame Kai. He’s waited for four years.

 

“I understand you.” Kris patted his back.

 

“Anyways, I’m actually here to ask you for some help.” Kai directed his words to Jessica, fully ignoring Kris.

 

“Oh, sure. Anything.” Jessica was extremely giddy about her best friend’s proposal.

 


 

“Ugh, why did I agree to this?” Jessica groaned, completely regretting the fact that she agreed to help Kai out.

 

Her best friend’s soon-to-be fiancé asked for a favor, which was to help him shop for supplies he needed for the perfect proposal because Kai was incapable of doing so. Apparently Tiffany had planned an at-home movie marathon all last minute, which coincided with Kai’s plans to go buy his items. Being too excited from the news, Jessica didn’t hesitate to accept Kai’s request. It wasn’t such a big job and shopping is something women enjoy, so Jessica didn’t think it was a bad idea. Man, did she regret it now.

 

“How did Jongin think he that this place was close?” Jessica questioned the man’s thinking, still trudging along the long sidewalk. “We haven't seen any sign of this shop for the longest time!”

 

Kris sighed in defeat. “Who knows. All I want to know is how many things are on his list! We’ve been walking all over the place for who knows how long!”

 

“I know~” Jessica frowned, glancing down at the heels on her feet. “My feet really hurt.” She had to stop several times while walking to rest her feet.

 

Kris had offered to give her a piggyback ride, but Jessica had no choice but to decline. They had gone on this errand at the end of their early workday and Jessica was in her work attire, being it a blouse and a pencil skirt. She wouldn’t be able to even climb on Kris’ back without feeling extremely uncomfortable.

 

“Bear with a little longer, I think we’re almost there.” Kris eyed the streets, knowing their destination was close.

 

“We should’ve driven here instead.” Jessica whined. “We have to walk back to the company after this!” she also regretted the fact that they traveled on foot.

 

Jongin had lied to them, saying that the store they needed to go to was close by the company building and it wouldn’t take long by walking. Well, Jongin must have legs of invincibility for walking this far and not feeling any sort of fatigue. Or, Kris and Jessica just have really weak athleticism. Who knows?

 

“All this walking better be worth it.” Kris became frustrated, just wanting to go home at this point. “Jongin better have the words ‘will you marry me?’ imprinted in the sky!”

 

The married couple felt as if they had been walking for miles and miles. Honestly, all they wanted to do was help a friend out with a small task and go home to eat dinner. They had no idea what they signed up for. Why couldn’t life be easy?

 

“Oh my god.” Jessica stopped in her steps when they finally reached their designated store. “Are you kidding me?”

 

Kris followed her vision and slowly read the store’s sign. “Seoul’s Best Florist Shop. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?” he raged, upset that he walked this long just to go to some stupid florist shop. “There were so many other flower shops that were closer!” he groaned with frustration.

 

“Let’s just see what Jongin put on this paper.” Jessica unraveled the paper that Kai gave them that contained instructions as to what they do when they reach the shop.

 

“It better not be to just buy a bouquet of flowers.” Kris shook his head, feeling as if Kai was messing with him. “I would just kill him.”

 

Jessica read the details quickly. “Oh, that’s cool! We’re going to be creating a bouquet!”

 

“What?” Kris gave his wife a weird look, not expecting that.

 

“Let’s go in first.” She led the way into the shop with excitement.

 

As soon as Jessica stepped a foot in the flower shop, the huge whiff of scents from flowers attacked her. She automatically flinched at the smell and felt as if she was going to retch. Her eyes were becoming watery. Kris saw her reaction and his face creased with worry.

 

“What’s wrong? Are you okay?” Kris automatically held onto her.

 

Jessica became tremendously sensitive to the smell and immediately stumbled her way out of the florist shop. She couldn’t stand the scent that was bottled up in that shop. It was overpowering and awfully sickening to her.

 

“Jess, what’s wrong?” Kris asked her again, after she recovered. “You looked like you were going to throw up in there.”

 

The wife only took in a deep breath of fresh air and shrugged. “I don’t know, it was too heavy in there. All those scents attacked my nose and it just didn’t feel good. I don’t like the smell in there.”

 

Kris gave her an uncomprehending look. “But you like flowers. You always love that fact that I give you roses on our anniversaries and always enjoy their scent.”

 

Jessica shook her head and just gave a look of confusion that matched with him. “I don’t know…it’s really repelling now. Maybe it’s because of my headache from earlier today.”

 

“I told you to take medicine.” Kris gave her a look, upset that she was getting sick. “Look what happens when you don’t.”

 

“I’m not going to take medication.” Jessica protested. “I’ll just sleep it off. I don’t really feel that bad anyways. My body probably just got sensitive because I’m a bit tired today. It’s no big deal, Kris.”

 

The husband was not going to risk Jessica’s health. “We’re going home. Now.” He led her back the way they came from. “Jongin can get his own stuff. We’re going home and getting you in bed. I should’ve been more aware with this bipolar weather we’re having lately. Of course you’d get sick.”

 

“No medicine.” Jessica still wanted to stay away from any sort of pills.

 

Kris sighed. “No medicine. Just sleep.” He negotiated, knowing how stubborn his wife could be.

 

“Kris, slow down.” Jessica was stumbling about behind him as he practically dragged her by the wrist. “My feet really hurt.” She frowned, having her toes hurt.

 

Stopping, Kris eyed the pumps on her feet before scooping her up in his arms and carrying her bridal style. “I should’ve carried you earlier.” He gave her a grin before continuing to walk.

 



{Author's Note}: Did you guys notice anything? Huhuhu~ I told you guys to look out for some clues~~