Acknowledgments

Demon & Angel—Forbidden Love

“…What?”

 

Taemin smiled at him, showing that he is being serious as he stared at the wide-eyed demon in front of him. “I said I want you to come over to my side for the day.”

 

Minho blinked a few times before chuckling, “That’s a nice offer, but no.”

 

The angel widened his eyes before he pouted, “Why not?”

 

“Taemin, there’s a difference to being invited to the Angel Kingdom and trespassing, you know? I’m not entirely sure that the Goddess will be happy to see me again.”

 

The other stared at him as if he had grown two heads. “Are you seriously messing with me, Minho? After what you have done for me, you expect her to not like you?”

 

He shrugged. “It is a possibility. Not all Angels like me, and they can’t lie to me saying they adore me when clearly they don’t.”

 

Hmm, he has a good point there, he thought, acknowledging his theory. He grabbed his hand, interlacing fingers with him, which shocked the Demon in front of him.

 

“Come on, just this once? I will tell them that I gave you permission to come in and it would not be a problem. I’ll tell Mother about it beforehand,” he told him.

 

Minho stared at him before telling him the unexpected, “Taemin… you’ve changed.”

 

“What?” He did not understand what he meant by that.

 

The Demon stared at him, eying him closely. Before yesterday, he was anything but…dark. Now, since that day when he suddenly vanished from school, it was as if his innocent bright glow had a hint of darkness. He shook his head, telling him that it is nothing.

 

“Why did you ditch school yesterday? I tried to find you, but you were not even in. Key had quite a fit knowing that,” he told him.

 

Taemin shrugged. “Just… felt like it. I didn’t feel too well, so I left early.”

 

Minho hummed in understanding, albeit he cannot help but think that that is not the only reason why he ditched academy, which is rare because he hardly ditch his lessons. He is a good kid who focused on his grades, so it was a bit of a surprise to him.

 

“Are you still coming over?”

 

The male shook himself out of his thoughts and blinked at Taemin. He looked at their intertwined hands, seeing the younger’s fingers play with the ring on his hand. His heart thudded at the simple contact, his cheeks growing red. Then he nodded with a smile.

 

Taemin brightened up with a happy grin on his face before hugging him tightly. “Thank you; thank you – thank you so much!”

 

Minho chuckled, ruffling his hair and hugging him back.

 

“You’re welcome…”

 


 

Taemin focused on his classwork as he took his notes, his eyes following every curve, every of his pen as he wrote into his notebook. However, his mind invaded him with the thoughts of Minho coming over to his side of the world.

 

He frowned slightly. Why did he ask him to come over? He will never know. He just…he just asked him for no apparent reason.

 

Alternatively, was there a reason he had in mind but forgot it when his other thoughts overlapped with each other?

 

Psst!

 

Taemin looked up, looking around until he met eyes with stern, brown eyes.

 

Where have you been?

 

The angel felt guilty for not notifying his best friend, but he could not help it. He had to go over to the forest and find…something. In addition, he did, but he could not discuss that with Key. He will have to discuss it with him.

 

Sorry Key-umma, but I was not feeling well so I forgot to inform before I left.

 

He hated lying. He never wanted to lie to his best friend, but he had to. Especially when this is a matter that involves him.

 

The brunet heard the blond scoff, his eyes looking back down at the paper in front of him.

 

You never leave without telling me.

 

Suspicion. He can hear it in his voice. He bit his bottom lip, Kai’s words echoing in his head before mentally shaking them out of his head.

 

Says you, he thought bitterly as he turned away from him. You never tell me where you are going when it comes to Jonghyun.

 

Taemin smirked at the gasp in his head, his eyes flickering victoriously.

 

On the other hand, perchance, are you two dating?

 

He heard an audible growl just a few desks away behind him before hearing his angry, yet embarrassed voice. He could even feel his mind growing pink due to his blushing.

 

Oh, just…just shut up! It is not like you to point out on what I do! Since when did you care if I was with Jonghyun? In addition, we are friends, no more than that! You know the rule would not allow me to fall in love with a Demon.

 

Taemin crinkled his nose.

 

Therefore, you are saying that you like Jonghyun then. Is that it?

 

Key looked up from his paper with wide eyes. His writing has been paused halfway. His mouth was open as if he was about to yell, but his eyes glanced at BoA who was sitting at the desk, her eyes scanning over them like a mechanical robot.

 

Instead, he glared at Taemin and huffed, looking back down at his paper and copying his notes from the textbooks.

 

That is not true. I do not like him.

 

Taemin rolled his eyes at his reply.

 

Yeah, right.

 

Key growled and looked at the back of Taemin’s head. It was strange, seeing him in a different light now. It felt so dark, so eerie. Yet, why did nobody else notice it? Why is it only him that noticed his unusual aura that covered up a part of his white, innocent presence?

 

Did you just roll your eyes at me? Yah, that is unnecessary! I demand you to stop with your rude arrogance and do your ing work!

 

Even though it was faint, the angel could hear the doubt in his voice again, laced with pain. The reminder of him possibly betraying the two sides in the future came back to him. He could not think about that. He should be happy about Minho coming over with him.

 

Moreover, he is. His heart thudded and his face flushed at the thought of the demon, holding his blushing cheeks as he bit back a squeal. Whilst it was obvious that he was acting like a girl, he could not help himself.

 

He was excited. He could not wait to show him around as promised, like a tour around the place. Surely, he could even hear him play in the ballroom if he wished.

 

Finally, he would not be alone in that lovely room when he plays the piano. He had been longing for company for some time now.

 

He just hoped that his Mother would approve.

 

Is Minho coming over to your kingdom?

 

Taemin mentally growled. He had wished his best friend would not invade his mind with his stupid telepathy.

 

Yes. I was inviting him over for a visit, he thought back to the blonde-haired person, glancing at the male who looked at him with shocked eyes before smiling.

 

Well…that is good, but what will the others say?

 

He sighed, resting his cheek onto his palm, his arm supported by his elbow on the desk.

 

I do not know for sure… I know what the people inside the kingdom will say… It is just…

 

The people outside the kingdom are what that bothers me…

 


 

It was evening when lessons finished and Taemin has quickly rushed back to the kingdom to have an in-depth dialogue with the Goddess. He believed that she would understand, despite her stern attitude. It was not long when he suddenly burst into the throne room, surprising her and the domestics inside as he hurried up the process.

 

The room went hushed after Taemin explained everything, about Minho’s visiting him and Taemin wanting to show him a tour around the place.

 

The Goddess stared him down after taking in this information. Then she chuckled.

 

“He said that I will not approve?”

 

Taemin nodded before pouting, placing his hands on his hips. “He did! Which is just absurd because you were the one who accepted him! How could he think that?”

 

The woman smiled at him, her arm on the armrest of her throne. She knew why he would think that, and she did not blame him. He could be thinking of the other angels around the kingdom and outside this palace. What would they do? What will they say?

 

“I agree with him,” she said. “Perhaps he’s thinking about others. What will they do? Would they be happy to see him? Obviously not. Taemin, just because I approved him, doesn’t mean the others does as well.”

 

Taemin knew. He knew that not everyone approve of a Demon being his friend. “I know but…” He could only let out a sigh. So many thoughts has been bothering him, and the secrets he promised to hold close to his heart are not helping him.

 

“Alright, if you wish to have him, I suppose I shall give him permission to come whenever you invite him.”

 

The angel looked at his Mother in shock before shrieking in glee. The female house cleaners rolled their eyes at his ingenuous action as the boy jumped up and down in his position like a little girl who saw her favorite idol.

 

Even Krystal was ashamed that this was her best friend she perceives. She pondered how Key handled him when he is in one of his typical moods.

 

“Thank you, thank you, thank you so~ much!” He did not hesitate to run over and hug his beloved Mother on the throne. The woman laughed in amusement, hugging him back as she felt him nuzzle his head on her chest.

 

The angel pulled back and grinned, jumping happily like a kid who received cotton candy. “This will be grand! I’d get to show him my piano in the ballroom and my dancing and my music compositions and, and, and—”

 

The Goddess watched with a smile on her face as her son rambled on about the plans they will do together, telling Krystal to shut up in between every time she interrupted him. She stared at him a little longer, reminiscing into her past. When she had him, he looked like her; he bared a resemblance to the Goddess. However, the more she stares at him, the less he looked alike to her, especially when he is growing older.

 

Instead, he began to look more like…

 

She grimaced faintly, but made sure that it didn’t display like it did last time in front of the others, that day when Minho and his comrades was there for his explanations.

 

It is only a rare occasion, yes, but it terrifies her each time Key made him dress up like a maiden.

 

If ever such thing happened, she would see her instead of Taemin.

 

Regardless of how he looked much beautiful than the average female Angel despite that they all looked beautiful, regardless if he changed eye color to his best friend’s wish to match the outfit, his splendor and her magnificence were equally the same.

 

She was sure that even Taemin knew that he no longer resembled her but someone else. She knew that he does not know of the Nymph at all. Nevertheless, it felt strange.

 

It felt like the exact same aura the Nymph has—so eerily dark yet reassuringly tranquil. Only those who close to him and those close to her are able to feel it that. However, he looked… different, somehow.

 

The woman furrowed her brows, her lower lip jutting out just a tad. Surely, he could not have… She thought back to the passage in the basement before shaking her head. She knew that his son was always obedient – he would not be able to enter there even if he wanted to.

 

The Goddess looked around before looking at one of the house cleaners next to her.

 

“Eunhee,” she called out her name, speaking to herself in a softer tone so Taemin does not hear her.

 

The blonde-haired woman looked at her, her eyes sea green and pale skin to suit her beauty. Her pale blonde hair was in waves, sitting upon her shoulders. “Notify everyone in the kingdom that a Demon is visiting us. Make sure to emphasize that Taemin was the one who invited him”—she took a quick glance at the duo, Taemin now finished with his rambles and chatting to Krystal—“And tell them that it’s Minho. They’d know who he is since we’ve all met him.” Then she sighed, “All of them should know him by then. If not, send them to me and I’ll give them a very thorough clarification.”

 

The house cleaner nodded, bending her head in courtesy. “As you wish, my Highness,” she responded before leaving the area, her existence and absence unknown to the chattering duo in front of her. The Goddess then felt another disturbance in the air and smiled to herself.

 

“Taemin,” she called out, interrupting their conversation.

 

The brunet looked at her with wide, innocent eyes, clearly aware of the fact that she has called him out during the tête-à-tête between him and Krystal, which involved blasé discussions about him liking Minho (which he believed to be not true, even though he knew that he is denying it).

 

“Minho’s indoors, isn’t he?”

 

The angel gasped, and along with him, she heard another sound, further from her and Taemin, as it was more distant. “Well, uh…”

 

The grand silver doors creaked open, a mess of black hair and a single horn peeking out as the demon stuck his head out shyly.

 

The Goddess hate to admit it but Minho looked adorable.

 

Since she is a bit weak with innocence, she bit her lower lip when she saw the Demon stepping inside, his head bowed, his eyes glued to the floor. What is this? What happened to the serious Minho I saw months ago?

 

“Minho-hyung!” Taemin chimed in happily, running over to him as if he was not the one who invited him over. The Goddess nearly rolled her eyes as the young angel almost tackled him down to the floor, had he not stood his ground and expected his reaction, smiling and wrapping his arms around him to return the hug.

 

Then he flicked his forehead when he pulled back, earning a whine from the latter. “It’s Minho, for your information. I thought we dropped the honorifics?”

 

Taemin pouted, “I’m sorry… It is not my fault! It’s a habit whenever I’m around adults!”

 

“Do I seem like an adult to you?”

 

“Unfortunately, yes,” he deadpanned, laughing when he earned a fiery gaze from the demon, flame sparking in his brown irises. Even his horns glowed dimly red.

 

The Goddess chuckled, “I guess there’s no need for me to be here if you’ve already gotten into conversation, is it?”

 

Minho had taken notice of her before bowing deeply. The servants and maids didn’t do that, but they were rather shocked when the Goddess stood up and bowed to him as well, not as formal as Minho’s, but she still greeted him. “I know it may be uncomfortable being here, seeing that there may be a few that still doesn’t like you”—she glared at the guards by the door who held their heads low, ashamed that their frowns on the Demon were being too evident—“but enjoy your visit here.”

 

The dark-haired male smiled warmly at her invitation before looking back at the younger, his grin bright and happy. Now he knew why he likes him. He is so pure and innocent, despite the dark aura emitting off him.

 

He shook his head mentally, now reminding himself of the rule and pushed away his liking for the Angel.

 

“Come, come, you need to see the ballroom and watch me play! It has been years that I last played for someone!” Taemin exclaimed as he intertwined their fingers together as they held hand, their rings clinking against each other.

 

Minho smiled as the angel dragged him out of the throne room and headed to the ballroom, where he expected not a table like the last time he came here, but a grand piano as Taemin has described to him. “But don’t you have Key for that?”

 

The brunet scoffed. “He doesn’t like to listen to ‘boring, classical music’ so he says. He rather read a book than to listen to me play a genre that he doesn’t like.”

 

The Demon frowned at that. Some friend he is…

 

“But I don’t mind that he didn’t like the genre,” Taemin looked at him with a wide smile. “It’s his nature to be honest over he likes and what he dislikes. He’s known to be like that.” Then he looked forward, greeting the servants and the maids who passed him by. Minho hardly said anything to them, as his eyes were fixated on the Angel. “‘I can’t dislike what I like, and I can’t like what I don’t like.’ He said this to me a day afterwards when I complained about him not being a good friend. He was upset that I didn’t consider him as a good friend, so he told me the reason why.” He smiled. “Now I knew that being yourself isn’t all that bad. That’s when I became more understanding of others.”

 

He paused in his steps. Minho almost ran him over since his speech immersed him. His cheeks flamed red when he caught himself looking so deeply into his chocolate brown eyes.

 

“That’s why I accepted you, Joon and Jonghyun, because I’m placing myself into your situations and understanding your thoughts. Only I know your true side. I’m the only one who knows your secrets and,” he motioned the demon’s hand over the angel’s heart. Minho could feel it. He could feel his white heart beating underneath his palm. He also felt Taemin’s hand over his heart, his black muscle pounding underneath his fingertips. “Our secrets is safe within our hearts.”

 

Minho did not know how scary and true those words could be.

 

Minho followed him in silence, feeling the eyes of Angels inside the kingdom, on their way to the ballroom. Although he is not showing it, he is curious to know the boy’s talents—his talents that may blow him away if he put enough effort into it.

 

It was not long when they had arrived at the grand ballroom. Minho stepped forward to open the door for him, acting like a man as he smiled at the angel.

 

Taemin furrowed his brows, his upper lip puckered out as he scoffed at the Demon. “I’m not a girl, Minho,” he told him firmly, though a joking tone laced his words. The Demon rolled his eyes.

 

“Of course you’re not. If you were, I would have seduced you,” he remarked as the brunet stepped inside the area.

 

The angel turned to him with a mocking smile. “What, to prove you have lust?”

 

“Heck no,” he retorted before laughing along with the younger. However, he felt strange. Yes, it is true that he does not feel lust even when Demons tried to seduce him into doing it. But how come, when he’s around Taemin, staring at his beauty, the outlines and the curves of his body made his horns tingle its way down to so many places, even tickling his own heart? Why only Taemin made him feel like that and no one else?

 

Staring at him made him feel…

 

“Minho? Are you alright there?”

 

The dark-haired male blinked, now seeing the boy in front of him, standing so attractively close to him. His cheeks burned red, and he struggled to keep his blush from reaching his horns, but failed to do so when they too, glowed red. Taemin reached up to touch them, trailing his finger along the curves of the bone. Minho clamped his lips into a thin line, a loud purr emerging from his throat as he stared at him with wide eyes.

 

Taemin smiled. “You’re blushing, you know. What, you found me attractive?”

 

yeah I did.

 

He stopped running his finger on his horn and shook his head with a laugh. “Silly demon. Even my beauty would stun you. It’s completely abnormal for a boy like me to be prettier than women.”

 

Minho almost grimaced. He said it as if he expected it, as if he was used to it. But then again, he thought as he looked at him again as the angel walked over to the classical grand piano. I suppose he is a person who is unusually prettier than women are. He chuckled to himself, catching the angel’s attention as his hands were on the doorknob, turned halfway and almost in the motion of opening the lid.

 

“What are you laughing at?” The brunet asked with a furrow of his brows, opening the lid fully, revealing the polished white and black piano keys.

 

Minho shook his head. “Nothing, nothing… it’s just that you’re right. I was just remembering when I first saw you in the cell,” he paused for a moment before smiling, “you actually did look like a girl back then, with your long hair.”

 

The young angel pouted at him, remembering how feminine he looked. Looking at his present self, he looked more manly, but at the same time, more feminine as well. “Don’t remind me,” hissed the brunet, as he smoothed down the creases of his white jeans of his uniform and sat down on the piano seat.

 

The demon chuckled as he walked over to him to watch him play. However, speaking of hair…

 

“Hey, did you dye your hair?”

 

Taemin looked at him confusedly, as if he did not hear what he said the first time as he was too busy thinking of what to play, his fingers sited onto the keys, its feel cool underneath his touch.

 

Minho pointed at his own head, asking him again in a much clearer voice, “Did you dye your hair?”

 

The latter was still confused. He did not dye his hair or anything of the sorts. He does not remember doing anything like that. He looked around, standing up to look at himself as he found a large mirror in front of him, just across the ballroom. He mentally gaped at himself, hiding his shock from the demon.

 

Since when has his hair been this black? He did not remember his hair being jet black, blacker than ink itself. His heart thudded as he swallowed his saliva, the thick substance going down his throat. Taemin stared at himself for a little longer before slowly sitting back down and looking at Minho with a small smile, shrugging it off as if it was nothing. “So what if I did? You like it?”

 

The Demon shrugged. “So-so,” he answered. He laughed when he earned a punch on the arm, meeting a pouting Angel in his sight. “Ok, ok, I liked it. It suits you better. But I’m surprised; I never thought an Angel would go for black hair.”

 

Taemin gave him a smile, but it was different. A nervous smile only lasted for a moment before he looked away, staring at his trembling fingers. “It’s just an experiment,” he told him in a soft voice, taking in a deep breath to steady his accelerated heartbeat, but failed.

 

What is wrong with me?

 

Shaking his head, he took a deep breath. He glanced to see Minho resting his elbow on the piano, his chin on the palm of his hand as he watched with gentle eyes. His heart thudded at the warmth that consumed his cheeks, his skin flushed red. He thought of what to play as he let out a small hum.

 

Yiruma’s songs? He thought to himself as he pressed a key, experimenting, as he played impromptu to warm up his fingers before sighing.

 

“Nervous?”

 

He looked at Minho and smiled, nodding. “You could say that…”

 

Minho smiled and shifted position, now resting his chin upon his arms on the piano. “Don’t be so tensed up on it. Just relax and take a deep breath,” he told him. Then he said, “How about this: just pretend I’m not even here. Just pretend that it is only you and the piano in this very room. Play to your heart’s content, and let your feelings on the melody grow.”

 

Taemin took hold of his advice before smiling. “I never thought you’d be so wise in terms of music, Minho.”

 

“Nah, it’s just…” he paused as he smiled to himself, remembering something. “It is something I always tell Yoojin whenever I bring her in. She really loves to play the piano, so sometime I would teach her.”

 

Taemin remembered her, the little girl. He smiled, now happy that she is doing well. He hoped that she would be able to get an education soon, and not be stuck there for long. He feared that she’ll may end up as a e when she get older, even though it’s possible for a Demon like her, as they feel lust. He hoped she would not, not at that age.

 

“Don’t worry,” his voice shook him out of his thoughts. “I won’t let her be someone like that.”

 

The angel smiled. “I wish I could visit her again. I promised her that I’ll come back someday.”

 

Minho nodded, “And you will. Trust me; I’ll take you with me when I go to visit her, just as I told you before.” He smiled before commanding; “Now play, my little angel slave.”

 

“Oh, shut up, my demon Master,” he playfully glared at him before laughing along with Minho.

 

The Demon smiled and closed his eyes, waiting for the music to start. He can hear the soft breathing of the male near him, feeling his nervousness radiating off him before it then vanished, replacing with warmth.

 

In addition, alongside with that warmth, harmony.

 

It was light, so beautiful and serene. It was breathtakingly tranquil and he felt like floating on clouds. He opened his eyes to look at Taemin, who completely immersed himself into the music, his eyes full of sincerity, concentrated on his love for music and nothing else. He could not see himself in his eyes anymore; it was only on his love for the piano.

 

Besides, he did not mind. In fact, he liked it. He liked it because it shows his feelings within the melody. It showed his feelings for his love of playing the piano, how he is like when he is alone in the ballroom. It showed his honesty and his kindness. It showed…pretty much everything.

 

Moreover, just seeing him made him be in awe. It was enough to see a person immersed into one’s state of mind than to see their impressive piano skills, because emotions is more important than skills.

 

The melody stopped abruptly, followed by a shy laugh.

 

“Up to here. I’m feeling ticklish to play anymore,” he giggled, rubbing his hands together.

 

Minho smiled and applauded him, proud of his performance, even though it was short. Nevertheless, a short enactment full of passion was enough to please him. He did not need anything more than that. “That’s really good.”

 

Taemin grinned, happy that he liked his playing. “Thanks,” he replied.

 

At that moment, they heard a knock on the door. Their heads turned to the opening egress, revealing the Goddess as she stepped inside.

 

“I apologize if I’m interrupting,” she said, her voice holding an apologetic tone. “And I know you haven’t started the tour yet, since you’ve just came but…”

 

Taemin tilted his head at her, meeting eyes with his Mother who glanced at him.

 

She smiled, clasping her hands in front of her lap as she requested, “Would you be so kind, Taemin, if you bought some ingredients down the marketplace? I was just thinking of cooking a short dinner for your friend here before he’d leave in the late evening.”

 

It was as if the entire world has suddenly crashed on him.

 

The marketplace. His mind went blank at the word, his eyes growing dull as he went in mental shock.

 

The marketplace.

 

If it is the marketplace…that means…

 

Taemin slowly looked away, his eyes no longer containing light as he remembered the times he has been there. Scorned and scolded with or without reason, the Angels who were of lower status always despised him. Moreover, no matter how hard he tried to be friendly with them, they despised him.

 

Therefore, he gave up trying to be friendly with them and began to be scared of them instead. Even children younger than him around that area mocked him.

 

Then he remembered.

 

He brought Minho here to show how they acted around him. He remembered that he told him about his childhood. He remembered how they hated him because he was bad luck. Whenever he was around, bad happenings occurred, such as bankruptcy, livestock dying or even worse if he stayed around longer.

 

He did not know why, but ‘bad luck’ was what described him by those under him.

 

Minho looked at him and realized that the Angels around that area despised Taemin. Around the rural area where he used to go during his childhood. He remembered that when he told him.

 

He had never saw him so scared. In addition, it scared him too, seeing his usual bright chocolate brown eyes go dull as he went into shock.

 

“Taemin?” The Goddess answered, oblivious of his son’s fear as she began to be concerned as to why he is not answering.

 

Minho looked at his hands on the piano keys and saw sparks. He knew that this type of power came from fear and dislike since he woke up on his third day from his nightmares and it is clearly showing as his fingers twitched with anxiety.

 

He noticed that this has to change. He nodded mentally to himself that he would help Taemin get acknowledgement from them, and them to acknowledge not only him, but the demon too. He know of what they will say to the young, innocent angel for letting him pass through, but he is his Demon Guardian. Moreover, a guardian always protects something that is beloved to them.

 

Even a person.

 

Taemin blinked and opened his mouth to reject the offer, to make up an excuse. “I’m sorry, Mother, but—”

 

“We’ll go.”

 

The brunet’s head shot up at the demon with wide eyes, red alarms resounding in his head.

 

No…

 

The Goddess smiled as the Demon walked over to her with a warm smile.

 

No, this is not happening! He thought aimlessly to himself as he watched him take the list of ingredients needed and the medium-sized bag full of gold mixed with silvers and coppers.

 

“It shouldn’t be much to buy them, but I added more titbits just in case.”

 

Minho nodded with a smile. “We’ll be back soon,” he responded before bowing to her, watching as the Goddess left the room.

 

No!”

 

He turned to see an angry Taemin, his eyes watery as he abruptly stood up. A ring of fire circled around him and the piano. The flame was harmless to the polished floor and the piano. His eyes were bright golden yellow, wide with fury, but also with terror.

 

“How could you accept it? I do not want to go out there and have them scorn me anymore! I do not want to… I don’t!” he wailed, collapsing to his knees, his face buried into his palms. The thought of seeing their disapproving eyes terrified him. He has avoided going there ever since he gave up on his hope of changing their views on him. He would always make up excuses on why he could not go or plead Key to do the errands for him. The excuses were poor, and sometimes lame, but at least they saved him from going there.

 

Now that he does not have a choice but to go…

 

The angel felt hands on his wrists, pulling them away from his face. He forced the angel to look at stern, doe-like eyes, the dark brown color swirling around the black pupils. There was a tint of orange-red within the darker hues, flickering slightly.

 

“Taemin, look at me,” he demanded when he saw that he was avoiding eye contact. “Look at me,” he commanded, his voice deep as his power trickled into the angel, forcing him to look back at him, forcing him to evaporate the ring of fire surrounding them. The flames no longer roared as they died out, leaving no burnt marks or tracks of its wake.

 

He saw his tear-streaked cheeks, his eyes slowly growing red and puffy. “Taemin, you’ll have to do this.”

 

“Do what?” Taemin shrieked out, his eyebrows furrowed as his eyes were still fixated on him. “Go out there and be stoned for being bad luck? Yeah, as if that would make me feel any better, Minho.” Tears spilled over as he thought of the children pulling his hair when he was younger, forcing him to eat dirt when he did not want to. “I’ll die there. Angels, Demons, or whatever, I will die. And it wouldn’t change a thing for them even if I was dead.”

 

How can Angels like them be more ruthless than Demons?

 

He did not understand. He thought that all Angels were kind-hearted, but he was wrong. Some Angels did not go along with everything.

 

That did not prove to him that they were turning into Demons. He saw absolutely no signs of that.

 

So why? Why did they ignore him when he cry out in pain? Why do they discipline him so much whenever he did something wrong?

 

He is only a child. He was anything but a child.

 

Yet, they scorned him.

 

Minho wiped his tears and kissed his forehead. “I know Taemin. I know you’re scared,” he whispered to him in a comforting tone, his hands sliding down to his waist, holding the angel close as he embraced him. His fingers entangled with the fluffy locks of his black hair, hoping to comfort his scared mind. “And I know you’re scared of their response to me being with you. You fear that it may cause damage not only to you, not only to me, but also to both our kingdoms. Father doesn’t even know that I’m here at all, and I know you don’t want me to get in trouble if words from them get out to there.”

 

Taemin nodded his head wordlessly, hearing his steady heartbeat against his ear. It felt so comforting, as if it brought his mind to ease.

 

The Demon pulled away so he could look at him. “I’ll be there with you. Do not worry about it and focus on me. If you feel that you are insecure, hold my hand. If you feel that you’re being pressured, just give my hand squeeze to let me know, okay?”

 

He nodded. He closed his eyes, his cheeks red when he felt lips pressing against his forehead, his nose, and his cheeks. He could not help but think those actions so affectionate when he should not have been, especially when Minho is a Demon.

 

Nevertheless, he knew that he was doing his best to soothe him.

 

“Just know that,” he whispered to him, his breath warm against the angel’s nose as he pressed his forehead against his. “I’m with you. I am your Demon Guardian and I will protect you if I must. If I’ll have to take risks to protect you, I will.” Then he smiled. “Even if it means to see my friend smile,” he told him.

 

Taemin’s heart swelled at his words, and he could not help but smile, feeling heartened by his gentle speech. “Don’t leave me alone in there…”

 

Minho nodded, allowing him to wrap his arms around him as Taemin held him tight for more security, to console himself before he is ready to go out.

 

“I won’t.”

 


 

Eyes.

 

It was all Taemin could see as he and Minho walked down through the area.

 

Eyes.

 

His heart rate accelerated at the sight of their annoyed and displeased eyes. His breathing quickened, becoming brief and shallow when he heard faint disappointments from behind, from his sides, from his point of view. Even after years when he last saw them, they still remembered him.

 

Moreover, they still despised him.

 

Minho saw them too. Whilst looking back and forth at the list and looking around the area for the said ingredient, he saw the eyes as well. There was half on Taemin and half on him. However, his half was mostly onto Taemin, almost as if he was the one to blame.

 

“What is he doing here?”

 

“Aish, hasn’t he done enough? Just when we have peace…”

 

“I’m telling you, he’s bad luck! Look at him; he even got a Demon on his side!”

 

He frowned at the glares thrown onto him. What has he done to you as a child? This experience reminded him of how the Demons in the rural area hated him, but he never stopped trying. Sadly, for Taemin, he gave up and distanced himself from them.

 

He did not like the Taemin who gave up so easily. He liked the Taemin who was willing to stand up for himself, to push himself into extreme matters until he succeed.

 

Likewise, he is going to bring that side of him today.

 

He saw various fruits in one of the stalls, containing what they needed in the list. He nudged Taemin, snapping him out of his thoughts. He looked at the said booth and nodded in reply. Together, they walked over to it.

 

Minho saw that the man noticed them. His eyes widened when he saw him, but darkened when he saw Taemin. He reached up to close down his shop, but the demon was faster as he held it up, slamming upwards as he glared at the elder. He heard faint gasps around him, but he did not care.

 

As long it was not Taemin getting hurt, he did not care.

 

“I believe that is entirely rude of you to close down your shop, isn’t it?” He told him calmly. “Don’t you need money to take care of yourself?”

 

The man said nothing, swallowing his spit before nodding slowly.

 

Minho smirked at the response. “Well then, I suppose you don’t mind us buying a few things of you to help you with your finance. Goddess’ orders.” He then looked at Taemin, gesturing him to come closer. The brunet hesitated for a moment before stepping closer, his eyes looking up at the man before it averted quickly when he saw the irritation in his eyes.

 

“Yes, um,” he mumbled as he peered at the list in Minho’s hands before looking over the contents available. He reached out to pick up a bright, juicy scarlet apple, but glancing at the man whose eyes narrowed threateningly, he pulled his hand back. It was as if he expected him to steal and run away, as he usually did back then when he was a child.

 

Everything just smelled so delicious, so he could not help himself.

 

Now look at what they turned him into, an Angel who could not even look into their eyes anymore.

 

Minho saw that he could not even pick up an apple without suffering the glares from the man in front of him. In addition, Taemin was the only one who is holding the basket.

 

The man was shocked to hear a low growl, averting his eyes from the angel and to the demon, meeting orange-red irises. “Let him,” he hissed, “or I won’t hesitate to make you.”

 

“No, it’s okay,” Taemin assured him as he turned away. “Let’s just find another stall. He doesn’t like me anyway,” he said.

 

The dark-haired male looked at the angel and saw a glimpse of his watery eyes. He shook his head. He did not want things to go Taemin’s way. He wanted things to go his way.

 

He slammed his hand onto the counter, startling not only the man, but also those who has been staring at them, and those near him. The man gasped when Minho leaned in close, his eyes full of distaste.

 

“Listen, I don’t like to hate on Angels for no apparent reason, but your attitude is what I hate at the moment. Just to let you know, the Goddess has approved me because I am his friend, his Master and his Guardian and because I am different from other Demons. And if you can’t accept that, then too ing bad,” he said.

 

Then he smiled and lightly patted his cheek. “Now fix that behavior of yours, will you?” His voice has surprisingly changed into the tone of the Goddess’, almost real and believable if they were to listen to the voice with closed eyes.

 

“Y-Yes,” the man answered as he took the list Minho gave him. Taemin watched him with wide eyes, almost…happy that he told him off.

 

He felt a thumb wiping his cheek, not realizing that a tear spilled over. His cheeks flushed red at his gentle smile before he looked away stubbornly, puffing out his cheeks. This made the demon laugh softly at his reaction before collecting the ingredients and putting them into the basket Taemin is holding.

 

“Thank you,” he said to the man, taking a few small golden pieces from the bag and paying him before they left.

 

That still did not relieve Taemin as they went onto their next destination.

 

Minho felt the boy stick close to him, his fingers tickling his wrist before holding his hand completely. He knew now that he is feeling insecure, with all the stares on him.

 

It is as if the world is turning against him.

 

“Ow!” Taemin cried out, leaning against Minho. The demon held him, seeing that his leg placed forwards than the other. He looked to see a group of children sticking their tongue out at him, teasing him and mocking him.

 

“Bad luck! You’re bad luck!”

 

Taemin squeezed his eyes shut to block out the laughs. He suppressed the sudden anger that was rising. He did not want to lose himself as he did to Joon. Who will know what will happen then? Instead of him fearing them, it will be them fearing him—a complete reverse.

 

Moreover, he did not want that.

 

“Are you okay?” Minho asked as Taemin held onto his arm for balance, steadying himself as he stood up. He glared at the group that grew further away.

 

He nodded. “I’m fine, just a slight kick in the leg,” he told him. Then he looked at him. “Just leave them. They are only kids, Minho. Let’s not make a fight here.”

 

The latter opened his mouth to protest, but closed them when he saw his pleading eyes. He sighed and nodded before they continued on their way. Taemin held the paper in his hand, reading the list. “Alright, so, what’s next is—”

 

He snapped his head up, hearing a whistling sound, going at an excessive velocity as the frequency grew higher and higher. Taemin blinked, and saw a tomato floating in front of him, his hand releasing Minho’s hand and slightly raised. Small sparks of electricity wrapped his fingers, although it is not that visible since they are outside. The sun is not even close to setting, despite that it is evening.

 

He blinked again, still confused until he saw the faint, purple shimmer of the force field.

 

His eyes averted to the same group of children who looked at him in shock. He stared at them a little longer before narrowing his eyes at them. The kids stepped back as if distancing themselves from him, alert if he is going to throw the tomato back at them. They were not the only one surprised. Even those around him who saw it were baffled as well.

 

They were surprised of his behavior and his newfound power, since all their life, he has been rumored as the angel whose powers has not awakened.

 

Taemin only let out a sigh and threw away the tomato, snapping his fingers and letting it drop onto the ground. He stepped on it as he resumed walking, the fruit (yes, tomatoes are fruits) exploding underneath his foot. “As I was saying…” he resumed talking as he looked back at the list in his hand, holding the basket in his arm.

 

Minho wanted to laugh at their priceless reactions. The thought of having a reminder of Key is a good thing, because that means he is standing up, but it is not enough. He knew he could not change them physically. He will have to change them verbally.

 

“I think it’s that stall,” Minho pointed, seeing that it was a bakery stall. “We can find bread there.”

 

 Taemin nodded and went over to it, going ahead of the demon.

 

He stared at the bakeries in awe, seeing various types of bread. He remembered the smell of bread clear as day. He remembered how much he loved them. He his lips and reached out to a loaf of bread into the basket until—

 

“So, I see you’re back.”

 

The young angel froze at the familiarity of the voice. He looked up to see her, the same woman who always yelled at him for stealing her breads and messing up her business.

 

She was a little older now, her brown hair having streaks of grey. Dark circles formed underneath her eyes and wrinkles creased in her forehead. Nevertheless, she was still beautiful, like all Angels, despite her old age. Her deep brown eyes tinted with mauve around the irises still had that spark of vengeance whenever she looked at him.

 

She glared at his hand, slapping it away from her homemade breads. Taemin held his hand to his chest, looking down to avoid making eye contact with her.

 

“I will not forgive you if you steal my bread again, brat,” she hissed.

 

The angel looked up at her and furrowed his brows. “I have gold with me, I swear!”

 

The woman examined him before sneering. “Really? And where is it?”

 

“Right here.”

 

She looked up to see Minho, holding the bag of gold to her eyesight. Her eyes widened to see a Demon around the area before whipping her head towards Taemin. “You brought a Demon here? You brat!” she yelled, standing up from her seat. “Did you realize how bad of a luck you are? You even got him to ruin our lives!”

 

“I—”

 

“You’re making it worse for everyone else here. Whenever you come and mess up our business, things happens,” she scolded. “You even got bitten,” she pointed at his neck, seeing the two black dots that shimmered silver. “How many times must you get into trouble?”

 

Minho raised an eyebrow and pulled Taemin behind him as he stepped in front of her. She stepped back, staring at his eyes that flickered dangerously. “What kind of things that happens around here, you say?”

 

She stood silent, not wanting to answer the demon, but seeing his eyes slowly changing, she had no choice. “Thanks to that brat, I gave up three of my daughters.”

 

Taemin’s eyes widened. He did not know she had daughters. He did not know she had a family.

 

The Demon looked behind Taemin whose eyes were wide with guilt. He looked back at the woman and asked, “And what does that have to do with Taemin?”

 

“I have to sell bread to pay the debts. He stole four loaves of bread and I was not able to get the complete money I wanted. I gave up one of my daughter by force for my debts. The same thing happened again and again, and in the end, I’m left with one son.” Then she looked at Taemin. “And I hope to keep him if you’ll not steal bread from me, you nuisance.”

 

Minho narrowed his eyes at her before looking down at the display. “He will not do such thing,” he told her, glaring back at her before picking up two loaves of bread and settling them into the basket. Then he gave her three large pieces of gold. He saw her eyes going wide at the amount.

 

“This should be enough to pay your debts for another three months.”

 

Taemin tugged onto his hand, not wanting to be around everybody else any longer and get the job done. The Demon obliged to leave, but not before giving her one last warning glare.

 

For some odd reason, Taemin felt tired.

 

He felt tired with all the glares and hisses he received from the Angels. He felt tired getting hits in between and falling into Minho whenever he get hurt.

 

He just felt like wanting to end it all.

 

Yet, he could not change their stubbornness no matter how hard he tried.

 

Are you there? Taemin called out in his head. The woman in his mind who always call out to him when he least expects it.

 

…I am.

 

He let out a soft sigh, his eyes growing droopy and watery at the same time.

 

I am tired. I want to try again, but I am tired.

 

A chuckle resounded in his thoughts.

 

Then rest, my darling. Let him do the rest. Then, you will be able to tell them. A pause. You do not deserve living like this. Angels should not be acting like this. You must change them.

 

Sleep now. You are never to wake until I bid you to awaken.

 

“Taemin?” Minho spoke, looking down at the angel before smiling at the peaceful sight of Taemin leaning onto his arm, holding his hand tightly as he slept.

 

Then, he felt a peculiar alteration in the ether. In addition, this disturbed the Angels as they began to murmur about the change of presence.

 

“What the—” He uttered under his breath, his eyes wide when he felt a sudden chill down his spine.

 

Since when has the air grown cold?

 

From the distance, right in front of his viewpoint, a thick haze crept over to them.

 

Conversely, it was not a normal fog, he assumed, as he saw the swirls in the clouds and the unnaturally whiteness.

 

That haze transformed into a fox—a gumiho with nine tails.

 

What is more, it is out to their blood, seeing its raging red eyes.

 

Rather, it would be their hearts.

 

Despite being a part of the evil, its features looked beautiful. Its fur was silky, white as snow. They glistened softly, brushing against the force of the wind. Its eyes were crimson red, with ebony black pupils, but even the color look magnificent. The size was breath taking, so large and terrifying, yet wondrous and magical.

 

For a fox that has outlived its years, for a petrifying evil spirit such as a gumiho, it remained like a breathing divinity.

 

If anything, he would have thought it was a harmless animal until it barked irately, attacking forward and biting one of the villagers.

 

The complete marketplace went into uproars and screeches. The sudden attack did not prepare the Angels with weapons and whatnots for such thing as no catastrophes occurred ever since Taemin left. Even when he was gone, they still happened, but not as frequent as they thought it would be.

 

To think that such an incident is happening now of all times…

 

Minho shook Taemin in his arms, carrying him bridal style. “Taemin, wake up!”

 

He tried to shake him awake, but it was no use. Once he is out, he is officially out.

 

Having no choice, he had to run away from the scene.

 

Oh, he was not planning to abandon the Angels back there and let the vicious fox eat them alive, hell no. Of course, he would go and save them.

 

He just cannot do it when Taemin’s vulnerable on his own, sleeping like this. He has to put him somewhere safe if he was to fight it.

 

What is more, he wanted to show them that he is not that heartless. He is not like other Demons like those that they thought of him to be.

 

He found an alley, its gate open. Countless vines and grasses covered its surrounding, very little sun shining into the area, but hey, it is worth it, is it? The gate can be its protection.

 

“Wait here, my little Angel,” he whispered in his ear, his voice warm and soft as he laid him down amongst the grassland. Standing up as he stared down at the ‘knocked-out-cold’ Taemin (he assumed that he was tired from all the troubles he received and the shopping), he waved his hand over him.

 

Meadows of flowers and roses bloomed around the angel, its pollen carrying its sweet scent.

 

He smiled. At least he would wake up beautifully.

 

He turned back and silently closed the gates, glaring at the chaos in the marketplace.

 

He saw a group of Angels trying to fight it, weapons in hand, but it was so strong.

 

Oh, he thought as he saw some smaller ones that attacked the town. In addition, she brought some new friends, I see.

 

“Everyone, get out to where you can be safe!” He yelled out, striding over to them. His katana appeared in hand, his eyes turning orange.

 

One man made the mistake of turning during his fight, which the smaller gumiho pounced on him.

 

Minho was faster than it can be.

 

The man’s eyes shook, surprised to see its flaming blade stuck into the back of the fox.

 

The monster trembled before it dissipated into smoke, revealing the blade in mid-air.

 

The Demon pulled it away from his sight and held out his hand. He recognized him. The man from the stall who glared at Taemin for taking the apples.

 

“T-thank you...” He whispered, stunned that he would even help him as he held his hand, pulling himself up. A Demon would not dare do that. They would laugh and enjoy the torture.

 

He shook his head. “Spare me the gratitude, this is no time for ‘thank-you’. Go alert the guards and tell them to gather everyone in the marketplace over to the safest part.” He looked at the mess. “I’ll deal with this .”

 

He nodded frantically and ran off to alert those who has not noticed the disaster yet.

 

“This can’t be the case of Taemin’s ill fortune,” he murmured to himself as he glared at the army of red-eyed gumihoes.

 

“This can’t be.”

 

With another glare and a flicker of fire on both his horns and his katana, he lunged towards them.

 


 

Screams.

 

Chaos.

 

Absolute chaos.

 

He heard them. He heard them in his head.

 

Then everyone was blaming him.

 

It was not me!

 

Witchcraft!

 

Dispose of him! Tell the Goddess to disown him!

 

He does not deserve to side with us!

 

Please believe me!

 

He only brings death!

 

I swear it was not me!

 

It is not me!

 

Then he heard more screams. He looked around him. The Angels, who had blamed him, were all…dead.

 

He looked at his trembling, stained hands.

 

Blood.

 

However, the scent of the thick, velvet liquid was peculiar.

 

It smelled…sweet.

 

Taemin, he heard a warm voice, so gentle and sweet.

 

Time to wake up, my darling.

 

 

 

 

 

The angel gasped, his eyes exposed to the thin sunlight that filtered very little through the vines above him.

 

The color red was evident in his irises, flaring bright before they vanished away, regaining its original pigment as he averted his eyes to the gateway.

 

He looked around, the scenery dark.

 

“Where—?” He asked himself, sitting up. He looked around, seeing the blossoms of flowers that gave out its saccharine fragrance, each florae having its different aroma.

 

That would explain the delicate scent. Nevertheless, what with the noise?

 

Taemin looked out the postern, seeing the scene. The square looked unexpectedly hollow, from his belvedere—

 

A crash arose from the right, blasts of earth surfacing from the side. A few Angels were seen scampering, mostly women as they carried their children, defended by the guards.

 

—and thrashed.

 

Slowly, he stood up, stumbling towards the opening. He opened the gate’s door, his hand cool on the cold bars. It needed a few tugs before he pried it open, the door making a horrible, creaking sound. He stepped into sight, looking down the direction where he had saw the small group of the Angels.

 

Where is Minho? He thought as he looked down the other direction. His eyes went large at the view that he almost stumbled onto his own two feet.

 

There he saw, was a pack of the smaller white foxes.

 

A gumiho is here, he looked at them in incredulity.

 

Their red eyes were distant, as if blind. Now would be a good time to sneak away from them.

 

“This can’t be from me,” he hissed to himself as he tried to sneak away as quietly as possible. Aside for voices and whispers, those foxes have sensitive hearing ability. They can hear so well, so that it scares you to breathe around them. “I never came for this!”

 

He mouthed the words beneath his pale lips, but never whispered. He is too clever to let them hear him.

 

Taemin bit his bottom lip when he stepped on a fallen branch, the crack just audible enough for them to snap their heads towards the brunet.

 

On the other hand, maybe not.

 

He almost had half a mind to turn around and grab his daggers when he realized that he had left them at home. He was not expecting a situation like this to happen, so he was out of luck.

 

Taemin stepped back, his eyes stern on the army that growled, its cerise eyes now glowering.

 

I will not let you…

 

He gulped as they crept closer, his hands vulnerable as they stuck out in front of him. His eyes flickered as he met every pair of red eyes, their hide transparent as ghosts.

 

I will not let you…

 

His eyes sparked as he glared at them, clenching his hands into tight fists.

 

Something inside him was breaking.

 

He knew what it was; his chest felt that too familiar tickling, deep into the core.

 

The seal.

 

He closed his eyes, allowing the foxes to think that he had given up and pounce towards him.

 

Release me.

 

“I will not let you get near me!”

 

As soon as he opened his eyes, the color changed. They were no longer brown; instead, they were washed-out bluish grey, the black pupils standing out more than it should.

 

A chilling sensation ran through his veins and engulfed his hands. They shook, glowing icy blue around his pale white hands, until chains shot out of his hands.

 

His eyes widen in astonishment, seeing multiple chains going through all of them at once, stabbing through them as if they were air.

 

The binds were like snakes under his command.

 

Until he saw the sight that proved that, they are not normal chains when he saw ice crystals on them. They were mysterious chains when he saw that they were transparent silver instead of metal grey.

 

Frost?

 

He eyed the foxes that then dissipated into smoke. It was a complete delusion that felt real—literally. He looked his shining snowy hands, the chains slinking back into his palms. It felt strange, as if he has just grown a new limb or something.

 

He blinked. He opened and closed his eyes again as his hands faded from translucent, glowing white back into its normal state, the last of its crystal sparkle gone from the tip of his fingers.

 

He gained Key’s power.

 

Not only has he obtained a skill that resembled Minho’s, but also a skill that resembled Key’s as well.

 

Strange. This is all so strange. How many skills do I have now? I cannot possibly have this many!

 

Taemin looked around, the area empty.

 

Where is Minho?

 

He had to find him. He needs to find him.

 

He his heels and ran off the opposite direction, away from the sight of the destroyed zone.

 

“Minho!” He cried out, his black hair bouncing and soaring behind him freely as he ran. Small white foxes invested the entire zone and it was getting harder to find him as he slaughtered them with his new founded ability.

 

He could not even communicate with him. The wall was up in their minds and he could not get his voice to break through.

 

“Minho! Answer me!”

 

He was scared.

 

He is frightened on the thought that he will lose him.

 

Taemin did not want him to leave this life behind, not when there is so much to do, so much to say!

 

He skidded to a stop when he heard a cry.

 

“A girl…?” He whispered to himself. Instincts took over as he followed the source of the noise.

 

He expected the girl, cowering underneath the tree.

 

What he did not expect was the large gumiho hovering over her.

 

The girl was shaking, trembling as her eyes dashed towards the large fox.

 

“Someone! Please!”

 

Something in him kindled.

 

The kindle eventually grew.

 

In addition, it was furious.

 

The fox struck at them, but an enormous force blocked the impact. The girl blinked twice, her head on someone’s shoulder.

 

Taemin has his eyes closed, concentrating on keeping the shield intact. His hand was on the girl’s blonde hair, comforting her.

 

“Shh, it’ll be fine. Just close your eyes and repeat after me: please, go away,” he instructed, his voice soft.

 

She trembled in his hold, clutching onto his shirt. “P-Please go away!”

 

He heard a loud thus echoing inside the force, the shield rippling from its attack.

 

“Please go away,” he repeated.

 

Another loud thud, more like it is breaking through.

 

“Please, go away!”

 

“Please,” Taemin growled, slowly opening his eyes, irises glowing bright red as he turned his head towards the spirit.

 

“You monster,” his tone changed, deeper and darker. “Go away, imbecile!”

 

Chains emerged from the force, the tips having dagger ends. They forced itself into the 1000-years-old fox, right into the chest.

 

It howled, shrieked and yelped but to no avail as it failed to escape its death.

 

Its body shook, trembled vigorously as blood pooled out from the wound.

 

Gradually, it faded away into nothing. The chains disappeared as well; slithering back into the shimmering purple shield like it was its cave.

 

The girl heard nothing and pulled away, her eyes wide to see the monster gone.

 

“Taemin-oppa, it’s gone!”

 

His eyes returned to normal as he looked at the girl with a smile.

 

Because of the disappearance of the fox, everything went back to normal, the heavy atmosphere no longer there.

 

He was surprised when the girl hugged him tightly.

 

“I’m sorry Taemin-oppa. I wanted to play with you but Mommy wouldn’t let me,” she said, pulling away and looking at him straight in the eyes.

 

Tears.

 

The young angel felt his tears b in his eyes.

 

For the first time since the Angels ignored and shunned him, he was glad that someone who actually wanted to play with him.

 

She reminded him of Yoojin. If the rule ever ceased to exist, if there was a time, she would meet this beautiful, inspiring little girl.

 

“Thank you. What’s your name?”

 

She smiled, answering him, “I’m Sooji.”

 

“Well, it’s nice to meet you, Sooji,” he responded with a smile.

 

They continued to talk; with Taemin comforting her, that he will get her back to her mother until he felt a hand grabbing his arm roughly.

 

Everything was so fast and the only thing he felt was the hard sting on his cheek as he received a slap.

 

“I should have known!” A woman’s voice. He looked to see her hugging Sooji tightly, although the little girl was struggling to get out of her grasp. “You being here led to the disaster of our area!”

 

The Angels’ murmurs were agreeing with her.

 

Even after all he done, they still blame it on him.

 

“You are a disgrace to the Angel Kingdom, providing them misfortune!” She shrieked.

 

“What do you know?” He yelled back, his eyes wide as his head whipped towards the crowd. The mother stepped back in shock, surprised to hear him get angry.

 

Even the others were shocked since he was weak within anger.

 

He was weak in anger, but now he is just furious.

 

“I’ve tried,” he started, “so many things to make you all like me and yet you shun me out of your group like I wasn’t even an Angel! How dare you!” He stomped his foot, fire circling him.

 

More gasps and shrieks.

 

“Look at this! I have gained this much power and I have not even trained myself for it. My power are sealed and you think of me to be weak! I am tired! I am tired of this crap!” Water spilled over, trickling down his cheeks. “I love you all to the bottom of my heart, but I’m scared! I am scared every time I came here to make you feel welcome in my presence. Now it’s too late then, because you’ve already finalized the destruction in my heart.” Then he turned to the mother holding Sooji.

 

“I’ve seen Demons in the rural area,” he said. Her eyes went wide at the statement. “And they had it much worse than you. Even a little girl who’s about Sooji’s age, was so thin she looked like she was about to break.”

 

His eyes trailed over to the girl who looked back at him. “And yet, she liked me.”

 

Taemin looked over at the Angels, seeing the guards surrounding them. “And the Demons there also liked me. While not much of them has changed their views on me, I made a difference. I saved their lives from a vicious monster, caused by a loutish Demon,” he told them.

 

He wiped his eyes, which were red, swollen and puffy.

 

“All I want is to be friends with you.”

 

Silence.

 

Then he nodded to himself.

 

If they cannot accept that, then who am I to stop them after trying my best?

 

Then he realized something.

 

Minho.

 

“Where’s Minho?” He exclaimed, now feeling the bitter absence of the Demon in the ether.

 

Their faces grew grim, eyes averted to the ground as they thought of him.

 

Taemin’s heart quickened as they stepped aside, a guard coming towards him.

 

Moreover, in his arms was…

 

…Minho.

 

All covered in blood and wounds, his chest not rising even to the slightest bit. There was a huge gap in the middle of his chest. It was so large it almost felt like the foxes has gone and ate his heart.

 

His head faced against the man’s chest, blocking all sight of his demise upon his face.

 

Dead.

 

He is dead.

 

His eyes were fixated on the collapsed body of his friend, his guardian, his…his…

 

Love.

 

No!”

 

His voice was loud enough to carry the shrill tone as he crawled over to the body on the ground next to him, his hand on his shoulder.

 

He looked so peaceful; he almost thought he was sleeping.

 

Nevertheless, it was as if he is not sleeping at all.

 

“Minho, wake up! Quit fooling us, you bloody idiot!” Taemin shook him, his hands trembling. “I’ll—I’ll heal you! Please hold on!”

 

He squeezed his eyes shut as he placed his hands on his bloody chest, hoping to rejuvenate him. His fingers tingled as they glowed pale green. His hand felt warm with the demon’s warm crimson liquid.

 

“Don’t do this! There is… there is so much I want to say! There is so much here that I wanted to show you! I want to show you my garden, my pieces, my books! I want to show you the friends I have and, and—” Taemin’s voice was cracking as he pulled his bloodied hands away, his efforts to heal him succeeded but his efforts to bring him back has failed. He rested his fingers on the horns and slowly trailed them along with the curve before letting out a sob, his hands abruptly to his mouth, as he knew he would not hear his purrs anymore.

 

“Minho…”

 

The Angels felt his pain as the young brunet covered his face, mourning him.

 

“Mother, let’s stop,” a male voice emerged from within the crowd. “He’s been damaged long enough.”

 

“As if! It is his own fault that even the Demon died protecting us.”

 

“Jongdae, he’s the Angel of Death!”

 

Jongdae scoffed. “But does the Angel of Death mourn over those who have died?”

 

They went quiet. He scoffed again. “I didn’t think so. Look at him!” He pointed at Taemin who was crying over the male. “Does an Angel cry for a Demon? Of course not. That shows how much he cared for him. I’ve seen them at school and I never saw him so happy when he’s around.”

 

He looked over to the brunet and sighed. “I’m saying we should give him a chance. Maybe he is not the one causing these catastrophes. Perhaps someone else is framing him.” Then he shrugged his shoulders. “And I’m going to be his friend.”

 

“What?”

 

“If you can’t deal with that then too bad because all of you lots are too stubborn for this,” sneered Jongdae as he turned his back and walked away from the crowd, his words short but lingering.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Taemin could not hear anything. He is drowning in his own tears.

 

Taemin…what is wrong?

 

He is dead! Minho is gone!

 

No…no, he is not.

 

Yes he is!

 

A soft gasp.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My dear Taemin, it is time to open your eyes and look at the sight in front of you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He heard gasps and felt a hand on his head.

 

Therefore, he removed his hands from his face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He saw bright brown irises and a weak smile, his lips bloodied and bruised.

 

“Sorry,” he whispered as he slowly sat up, pressing his forehead against his. “I made you worry, didn’t I?”

 

His body trembled. He was so happy and…

 

“Taemin?” Minho furrowed his eyebrows as he saw his bangs covering his eyes.

 

You…!

 

Hysterically enraged.

 

“You idiot!”

 

The loud thud and a yelp shocked the crowd of Angels.

 

“Ow, ow, ow—okay, Taemin, that hurts!” The dark-haired male screeched as he received a large bump on the forehead and strong punches into his chest. He yelped when his ear got a harsh tug from the angel and scratches on his cheeks.

 

Good Lord, he is like an angered kitten.

 

“It should hurt! You—you just love to trick me! To heavens with that, you can’t just fake your death and make me cry like that, you piece of !”

 

Minho chuckled at his cute profanity and patted his back. Okay, so maybe he did scare him a bit, but honestly, he had no idea what happened before he woke up. The last thing he remember was receiving a large blow in the chest, the wound large enough to put his hand into before he out.

 

He did not know.

 

He did not know he died.

 

However, if he died, how was he still alive? No one can survive with a large hole in the chest.

 

Unless…

 

His eyes averted to Taemin who was still hitting his chest, waterworks of ecstasy flowing down his irate face.

 

That is impossible. His power could not have been that strong enough to bring me back.

 

He groaned when he felt arms wrapped around his collar, a nose nestled into the crook of his neck.

 

“I’m happy,” Taemin whispered in his ear. “I’m happy you’re still alive. I’d think it was the end of the world for me if you were dead—for real.”

 

Minho smiled and hugged him back, wrapping him into a tighter embrace.

 

Taemin breathed in his scent, his dark, yet rosy fragrance filling up his nostrils.

 

“Um,” a small voice caught their attention as they pulled away from their embrace, their eyes on the little blonde girl. Sooji smiled at Minho and bowed to him. “Thank you for protecting Mommy,” then she turned to Taemin, “And thank you for saving me.”

 

Her mother’s cheeks were tinted pink, looking away stubbornly as she shyly scratched her cheek. She looked as if she did not want to admit it. “Y-Yes… thank you…”

 

Minho rose his eyebrows and looked at Taemin. The young angel’s cheeks were red, giving him a shy smile.

 

“Did you…?”

 

He nodded in response.

 

The Demon let out a chuckle, ruffling his hair. “I knew you would do it. It will take time, but it wouldn’t hurt, would it?”

 

“Mhm,” he mumbled as he gave him another hug, burying his face into his chest. He did not care if it seemed affectionate or not to the others in front of them – he was just happy to have him alive.

 

He heard scatters of the crowds as they slowly dispersed, going away to leave them alone. He felt lingering, suspicious eyes on him before they vanished.

 

Suspicious.

 

Taemin shook his head, his face still into Minho’s chest, his black shirt torn.

 

“I missed you.”

 

“And I, you,” Minho smiled. “I was protecting your kind while you were unconscious. I wasn’t expecting to know that you fought back.”

 

Taemin snickered, his fingers playing with the chains around his waist.

 

Then he realized something—his Mother. She must have known about the occurrence; news might get to the kingdom faster than he expected. She must be worried sick for him.

 

“Oh gosh!” He cried out as he pulled away, his eyes growing large. “My Mother must be freaking out by now! There’s no way she could just ignore this, especially when I’m in the area!”

 

The latter bit his lower lip. “And most importantly…”

 

Taemin groaned as his hands shot up to his hair, messing up in the process as he let out a frustrated sigh. “The food we bought is destroyed in the ruins. I did not see the basket anywhere next to me when I woke up. She’ll be devastated!”

 

They both sat silent before Minho let out a weak groan, standing up from his position. “There’s only one thing we can do.”

 

He looked up at him sadly. “Tell her what happened?”

 

“Well, we have no other choice to explain our dirty clothing, do we?”

 

Taemin shook his head in response to his statement. He was right—how could he explain the fact about his dirtied clothes?

 

The young angel took hold of the demon’s hand as he pulled himself up, feeling guilty. He supposed that the dinner would have to do for another time.

 

As they walked through the destroyed marketplace (thankfully it is just the marketplace—nowhere else), Taemin could not help but feel shamefaced. He stopped in his steps, allowing Minho to go forward first as he looked around.

 

The smell of soot and smoke irritated his nostrils. Mixture of fresh and burnt wood lingered in the air and all the shops that they have been to—just rendered into remnants.

 

“Maybe it is my fault,” he mumbled to himself as he looked away, hanging his head down low. He saw a bright red apple by his feet, the only thing surviving in the destructions but it is filthy.

 

He kicked it away.

 

Minho smiled to comfort him as the angel caught up to him. “It’s not your fault. You never predicted this to happen.”

 

“I feel that it is though. I doubt the Angels are still blaming me,” he sighed.

 

As they walked, a feminine hand stopped him. Taemin turned to see that same woman he saw at the bakery—or, it was the bakery. He was shocked to see her smiling at her.

 

“Here,” she abruptly gave him a basket, covered with a long white cloth. The bemused angel stared at her for the longest time before looking back at the basket in his arms. Peeking into the item, he gasped and unexpectedly shoved it towards her.

 

“I cannot! This is too much bread! What about your debt?”

 

She shook her head. “I can manage. Besides, your little Demon here gave me three chunks of gold—I will work it out.” She pushed the basket back towards the angel. “I don’t trust you still but… I will give you a chance. As long you don’t steal from others like you used to!”

 

Taemin’s eyes glistened as he brightened up. To her surprise, he ran over and pressed his lips onto her cheek.

 

He pulled away and bowed multiple times. “Thank you, thank you!” He thanked her as many times as he wanted, causing the female to yell at him to shut up for he is making an old woman blush.

 

“And here,” a man appeared with a basket, full of fruits. He remembered him – he was the man from the first stall he saw for the fruits. The angel gasped at the wide amount of food—it is exactly what they needed. His eyes trailed to the small crowd behind him, holding food that they have lost, now repaying them the same.

 

Even those kids who called him ‘bad luck’ were holding items. They looked shy, almost as if they did not want to admit that they like him now.

 

Taemin looked at Minho who smiled at him. He grinned as he looked back at the group and bowed deeply.

 

Thank you.

 


 

“Goodness, I was worried!”

 

Taemin laughed sheepishly as they arrived in the throne room, the Goddess now in front of them.

 

“Sorry Mother,” he apologized. “But everything works well now.”

 

She let out a sigh, her hand on her forehead. “I swear, in the Name of the Angels and God, you will be the death of me. I might as well die from a heart attack just by hearing that a pack of foxes ambushed you! A gumiho—who in the right mind would actually imagine such creature would invade the rural?”

 

“All that matters,” Minho started as he grinned, not suiting with his messed up clothes, “is that we’re both alive and well.”

 

The Goddess nodded. “That, I’m glad for.” Then she pointed out the way to the kitchen out through the hallway to their right. “The kitchen shouldn’t be far. Don’t be shocked when you see nobody inside—I’ll send them once you left them on the table.”

 

They obeyed to her orders and left at once, their arms full as they made their way to the area. She was right when she said that it was not far – a couple walks down the hallway and it is just around the corner.

 

They both grunted as they carefully put everything down on the table. Minho clapped his hands, clearing his throat.

 

“That’ll do it. I’m anticipating the dinner tonight,” he told the angel next to him.

 

Taemin hummed in reply. “Same here. I bet that if Onew was here, he’d ask for chicken again.”

 

They giggled at the thought of Onew scarfing up a whole plate of chicken. He really loves chicken.

 

Taemin stared up at Minho and quieted down as he watched him check the baskets, making sure that everything is inside the carrier and not broken or crushed.

 

Did he really think that back then?

 

Did he really think he is his…love?

 

Nevertheless, he could not do that. It is against the rule!

 

His eyes trailed up to his eyes, his heart thudding at the thought of it. He remembered every kisses on the forehead Minho gave him. He remembered every touches on his head that made his scalp tingle with excitement for days.

 

He remembered hearing his soft voice, that voice he wanted to keep to himself.

 

He is being selfish again, but he could not help it.

 

He wanted him.

 

“I think we would save time packing up the things here, right Taemin?” Minho was saying as he smiled, taking out the apples.

 

He heard no answer from the black-haired angel.

 

Minho furrowed his eyebrows as he has focused on taking out the fruits, an apple in hand. “Tae—” He turned his head to look at him, but he was not expecting him to stand so daringly close, his arms already going up over his shoulders.

 

He did not have to look to know what was happening; he just could not react as his soft lips pressed against his.

 

 

Thud.

 

 

 

The apple dropped out of his hand as the angel held him close, his eyes closed as he devoured his lips.

 

Those lips that he longed to feel for a very long time; those lips that he denied for a while.

 

He felt fireworks bursting in his heart when he felt the male shift position, one arm wrapped around his waist, his lips responding back to him. Minho has the other arm on the counter, steadying himself.

 

 

 

 

 

Their lips moved with ease. They were not in a rush or anything of the sorts – their kiss was simple, slow and sweet. Taemin paused, gasping for air as he looked at the Demon with moist, half-lidded eyes. Minho leaned in for more, pressing their lips together for a second kiss.

 

 

 

Wait…

 

 

 

Taemin felt his hands on his hip, in the kiss when he felt their groins grinding together. The pressure was too much. The pleasure was unbearable.

 

Even Minho, one who does not usually feel lust, was beginning to feel it.

 

 

 

This is… I cannot…

 

 

 

Minho rubbed the inside of his back as he leaned forward, tilting his head back as he placed butterfly kisses down from his lips, his jaw, his neck. The angel was softly as his hands trailed down from his chest to his lower half of his body.

 

 

 

I…

 

 

 

Their hair were in a tangled mess now, black to black. Their forehead beaded with sweat and their lips swelled with the redness and the saliva dribbled them both, connecting each time as they entered each other’s mouth, tongue with tongue.

 

 

 

I cannot!

 

 

 

Taemin snapped his eyes open, abruptly pushing the Demon away. His hands covered his mouth as he looked at him in shock.

 

 

 

What have I done?

 

 

 

I have gone and kissed him.

 

 

 

God, I kissed a Demon—and I…I loved it.

 

 

 

This is crazy! I am disobeying the rule!

 

Minho smiled painfully at him, as if knowing what he is thinking. “I know. We cannot do this. It will put both of us at risk. We can’t love each other like this.”

 

Taemin did not say anything as he ashamedly looked down to his feet, his hands still over his mouth. He snapped his eyes back at the sound of flapping wings, only a black feather in his place.

 

The door opened right when he disappeared. He turned to see the Goddess entering the kitchen.

 

“I see you got everything ready—hm? Where’s Minho?” She asked him, her eyebrows furrowed as she looked at the angel before fixing his hair. “And your hair is in a mess, my goodness!”

 

He stood silent as he forcefully wiped the saliva off his lips to hide the evidence and turned away. “I…I don’t know. He didn’t say – must have went to the bathroom I suppose.”

 

The Goddess looked at him skeptically but decided to let it go. “Are you coming down to have dinner with him?”

 

He shook his head in refusal.

 

No?” She was surprised. If more than anything, he would be happy to sit next to him and have a nice chat together.

 

“My apologies, it’s just… I am not feeling well. Tell him I am sorry once he goes in for dinner. I will be in my room resting.”

 

With that said, he left the area.

 

Minho was hiding in an unknown corner in the kitchen; his head hung low as tears spilled down his cheeks.

 

God, I am so stupid.

 

He chuckled silently to himself as he heard the Goddess leave as well, the door closing shut.

 

“It seems like I can’t keep my promise after all…”

 


 

Taemin hit his head with his hands for the thousandth time today as he laid in his bed, groaning in frustration.

 

“God, I am so stupid!” He shrieked as he rolled over in his bed. Adam was on the floor, his little head cocked to the side as he watched his master fuss about for a reason he did not know about.

 

Taemin buried his face into the pillow and screamed, venting out his feelings. The pillow muffled the sound, so it was quite inaudible. He was like that for a while, kicking the bed and yelling into the pillow until he was calm, no longer screaming.

 

He let out a sigh and to his back, staring up at the dimly lit ceiling.

 

“I need to get myself together. Taemin, forget it. What you are feeling is just a phase. It is just a phase and always has been. You’re not in love with a Demon.”

 

Nevertheless, the more he recalled the words, the more pain it grew in his chest.

 

Taemin realized that it is useless denying it.

 

 

 

Minho ruffled his head as he paced around in his bedroom, the area dimly lit with his lanterns on. He knew that he is taking a dangerous risk here. In addition, it does not help the fact that both of them are heirs to the throne.

 

If this continues, the Great War would happen at some point. However, if he let this be, the pain in his heart would grow until it is inescapable.

 

Minho fell back onto the mattress of his bed, his arm over his eyes.

 

“I can’t love him like this, no, I can’t! I cannot!” He continued to reprise those words repeatedly until they ran around his mind on their own.

 

“It’s just a phase. It’s only a phase.”

 

Then he realized that it is hopeless trying to hide.

 

 

 

They both sighed and let out a sigh, a small smile on their faces.

 

Oh, I give up.

 

They both stared up at the ceiling as a single tear streaked their cheeks, their arms over their eyes.

 

I am hopelessly, forbiddingly in love with him.

 

Yet, I am scared to go any further.

 


 

There we have it! Your kiss, your 2Min, your drama!

 

You can thank me later.

 

And seriously, this must be one heck of a writer’s block that was stuck in my head for the longest time even after my exams has finished, like what the heck!

 

Anyway, this chapter is full of love, drama, angst and a bit of guilt and regret.

 

Please do give me your comments since I gave you like weeks for this chapter. Yet, right after I gave you all a preview—wow, I feel sorry.

 

…On the other hand…

 

Tomorrow is my 16th birthday! Yes, I am turning sweet 16 tomorrow, on July 5 and the first thing I get in the morning is getting my hair done. Seriously? Lol.

 

No seriously.

 

That would mean, no update on WMS for those who are fans (or, uh, subscribers) to the fanfic. Because I will be out having great fun!

 

No, there is no boys – I would smack you upside on the head if you ever think of anything dirty, you erts.

 

(Actually, I am a ert too, but only in fanfics, gosh.)

 

I hope to see you on next update (I swear, this fanfic will take forever to complete, I’m telling you)

 

I mean, are you people are okay if it goes over 100 chapters?

 

You do not mind, right?

 

Right?

 

Right?

 

OK!

 

Btw, I was listening to Ashley Tisdale’s ‘Hot Mess’ when I was writing that kiss scene, just sayin’. /flees/

 

What? I wanted to create a sensual-ish kind of vibe to it with a hint of innocence and y’know—yeah, I’ll just—I’ll just go… /walks away/