Fragmented Connections

Demon & Angel—Forbidden Love

All of them stared at her in shock as the Goddess leaned into her chair. She let out a small scowl as Jonghyun stood up abruptly, his face red with anger.

 

“So that’s it? You are just letting Taemin forget about Minho. What are you trying to do, you !” He growled his fangs out as he summoned his dual guns. Joon pulled his arm back, hushing him as he avoided the defensive eyes from the servants, some of them standing up as if preparing to jump onto the demon.

 

“Jonghyun, just let it go, we’ve tried.”

 

Jonghyun stared at his friend with wide eyes, his brown eyes flickering to golden and back before glaring at the Goddess. What a heartless woman – giving up Taemin just like that. Key stood up, his irises swirling in icy blue.

 

“My Majesty! This is unacceptable! How could you say ‘no’? Do you even realize what you’re doing?” Key screamed, his voice loud like a siren, piercing everyone’s ears. How could she say that? He looked down at Taemin whose eyes were out of sight, hidden beneath his bangs. His breath was rigid and unstable; he knew that he was suffering from the shock. His fingers twitched on the table and it was almost as if he had gone paranoid.

 

Minho clenched his teeth angrily. This was not how it was supposed to go. This was not how it was supposed to go at all. Was she trying to kill him? Is that it? This is because Taemin disobeyed his kingdom and gave himself to the demon that he is going to suffer without the rose and die. He glared at the Goddess with burning orange-red eyes.

 

Colored eyes were all glaring at her – all Minho, Key and Jonghyun. The Goddess closed her eyes for a brief period, clasping her hands together as she gathered her mind.

 

 

 

 

 

Then she smirked, a small giggle escaping . Were they really thinking that she would let her beloved son die if he did not have the hope he is always holding on for support?

 

They must be out of their minds.

 

She began to say her decision again, but this time, she added a sentence.

 

“No,” she paused for a momentary silence, “I will not let that hope be destroyed.”

 

Minho’s eyes widened. “You mean…?” He looked at Taemin who looked back at him, mirroring the same expression on his face.

 

She nodded. “Yes Minho. I will not destroy the rose by force on your behalf. If it is that precious to Taemin, so be it. After all, it is Taemin’s determination to keep you alive, even if it means being your slave. I will let you two be close, like… friends so you say, but no funny business!” She finished off with an edge in her voice.

 

Then she laughed. “You should have seen the looks on your faces when I said that—it’s highly amusing!” She giggled as if she had been reverted into her teenage years. “Especially you—Jonghyun, if I am right?—you were so worked up that I’m surprised to see that you actually cared about him!”

 

Jonghyun’s cheeks flushed red, the gold draining from his irises as he stared at the laughing Goddess in shock. She finally calmed down and straightened her posture, turning her happy eyes into calm, gentle ones. Her lips curved up as she looked down for a moment before looking at Taemin, seeing his shocked face.

 

“M-Mother,” whispered Taemin as his eyes widened a bit more, the corners of his lips almost curling in happiness.

 

“I have said what I have said – no further discussion on it now,” the Goddess said as she eased herself into her seat. She wiggled her fingers as Key and Jonghyun slowly sat back down in their seats, unable to get out from the surprise. “Well,” she said, breaking the stunned silence. “I would like to ask some questions about you, Minho, if you do not mind.”

 

Taemin blinked twice at the sudden change before sighing, torn between relief and confusion.

 

It was strange – how can his own Mother do that to him then act as if nothing happened? He looked at her once again and smiled warmly when she winked at him before looking down at his hands. Then he glanced at his puppy Adam, the chair now has changed; the cushions were not red but instead, they were white – and waterproof – and underneath his little paws was a towel (just in case). He smiled at his small barks, brown locked with brown before looking at Minho. He could see the relief and surprise in his face; it is almost as if he had lost 10 years of his life worrying about something important.

 

“Y-Yes, your highness,” the dark-haired Demon stammered before clearing his throat, shaking himself out of the shock. “You may ask questions about me, ma’am.”

 

The Goddess rested her elbow on the armrest of the throne-like chair as she stared at him for a moment, examining him before she told him, “This may be of inconvenience so you are welcome to stay silent if you didn’t wish to answer or if it’s a private matter and you wish to keep it to yourself.” Then she went on ahead. “I’d like to know more of you, starting from how you never torture our kinds and never felt lust.”

 

Minho nodded, thinking that this was not a hard question to answer. “To be honest with you,” he paused for a moment, letting this sink in before he continued, “Even when young, I never had a reason to hate Angels. Why should I when I do not have a reason to? Though I never talked to them once in my life (Taemin was utterly surprised and pleased to know that he was the first Angel he talked to), I never liked seeing other Demons hurt them for no reason. Perhaps they did back then, but I do not like the reason they have for torturing them. That is why I rather be an ordinary demon than to be a prince, so I can do what I want without betraying the castle. Instead, I’m forced to do a job I didn’t want to do – killing.”

 

He sighed as soft gasps resounded in the area. He could feel the pitiful gaze from the Goddess on him. He stole a glance at Taemin, who was smiling at him warmly, as if comforting him. “I’m glad Taemin helped me back then. I was such in a shock that I could not get out of it. Taemin took care of me, in return for the things I did for him when he was in the cell. We were training when it happened and Taemin knew what I disliked doing. My Father doesn’t know this, and I hope it stays that way until I plan to tell him.”

 

The Goddess nodded. So far, Minho had told his secrets to the whole of the Angels. No Demon would blurt out anything.

 

Joon sort of have expected it, even though Minho never told him his secrets. He knew by just looking at his actions and behavior around certain situations. He was not that hard to figure out, really.

 

Well, for Joon, that is…

 

“You heard him; if a word of his dislikes gets out from this kingdom, prepare yourself for the worst,” she warned the table before looking back at the demon, nodding to let him continue.

 

“As for my lust – actually I do not know of this part. It is strange of me to feel no ual attraction to any Demons – or Angels. I’ve never slept with anybody even when young.”

 

“It’s true,” Jonghyun spoke up. “I was around his age when I met him and we grew together. Never in my life had I saw him fall into the seduction of the females. He would refuse them so cold-heartedly. It was a huge shock for the whole of the kingdom, including me. But I wouldn’t ignore him just because he’s different.” He grinned at Minho who smiled at him. “I wouldn’t care if he’s a little bit different in attitude, or the fact that he’s taller than me (he glared at Minho and Key who snickered at this) but I am a little bit concerned…”

 

Taemin hummed at this. So even when he was young, he did not know why he is not feeling lustful – it is really a strange case indeed… he thought, scrunching up his nose.

 

He watched as his Mother shifted in her chair as she then said, “Okay then, we’ll stop there, thank you. …I’ve another question to ask you Minho,” she paused. “How were you adopted by the Duke?”

 

Taemin looked at Minho beside him, wanting to know as well. Then he blamed himself for having a cat’s curiosity that keeps getting him killed all the time but he cannot help it – he could not ignore these things. Well, only for the young angel, that is. Minho took a deep breath, trying to keep himself steady and his heartbeat slow, to calm himself for the nervousness. He smiled to himself when Taemin’s legs entangled with his, as if distracting him from his nervous system that keeps making him grow more and more anxious by the seconds.

 

It was distracting and tingly at the same time.

 

Distracting, because he could not think straight and his brain feels like spinning.

 

Tingly, because it is like having your crush pat you on the shoulder and soft jolts of electricity tickles your skin.

 

His cheeks flushed red as he stared at Taemin who grinned at him.

 

Those light brown eyes turned into such cute crescent moons…

 

He shook his head and cleared his throat, almost feeling embarrassed that he is letting himself get into this… this… this irresistible masterpiece of an angel. “From how I was born,” he spoke aloud before cursing himself at his mistake. “I-I mean, adopted. From how I was adopted, that’s the correct word.” He felt stupid. His voice was faltering and he is sweating cats and dogs.

 

Where has his mature, serious demeanor gone?

 

Damn it, Taemin, untangle your legs! He hissed mentally, but a small part in his mind was actually wishing that he would continue to do that for a little bit longer.

 

Taemin, being the naïve angel he is, tilted his head in confusion as he could see cold sweats running down his neck. He placed a hand on his arm as through his worried eyes, he sent him a silent message, ‘Are you okay?’

 

Minho felt that same tingly sensation but this time, it was on his arm. He looked into his worried eyes, seeing the unheard message before nodding slightly. He averted his gaze towards the Goddess, blinking rapidly to clear his blurry vision. He took several more deep breaths, to open up his mind and regain his posture.

 

He will just have to deal with this naïve angel playing with his legs. “I couldn’t really remember much. I couldn’t remember where I came from; I was just walking aimlessly in the snow.”

 

Taemin’s eyebrows furrowed at the start of his story. That… sounds oddly familiar.

 

Key was also thinking the same, his hands crossed over his chest, leaning against the chair as he began to fiddle with the silver bracelet, his eyes glued on the similar accessory on Minho’s right wrist.

 

“I was pretty much lost. I was alone and confused, I did not know where I am. All I know that I was in some kind of forest.” He told her with a slight shrug. “Then, I thought I heard voices.”

 

“Someone’s here…?” He whispered to himself, his eyes hopeful.

 

Small flashes of the dream came back to him. The young brunet’s eyes widen slightly as he listened more of Minho’s start of adoption.

 

This is strangely similar to how the Goddess found Key… too similar.

 

Jonghyun felt it too – seeing Taemin’s eyes that darted between Minho and Key made him think that something was wrong. It made him think that something between them could not possibly be a coincidence.

 

“I thought I did, but I was wrong. I suppose I’ve missed my opportunity but in that forest, I couldn’t help but admire the scenery in that forest.” Now the Goddess was sensing the oddities and the similarities in his story. She looked at Key with shocked eyes. Key looked back at her with wide eyes.

 

This is…!

 

“Then, I heard footsteps.”

 

A person stepped out from the trees, coat on. The hood was on shadowing the features, so Taemin was unable to see who that person was. Then, it pulled down the hood, revealing the person.

 

Taemin’s eyes were shaking, unable to handle the flashes of the dream he had in his sleep. “And that’s when he came out…”

 

It was…

 

A-Argh!” Taemin cried out in pain, holding his head.

 

Minho looked at him shocked and held his shoulders to prevent the angel from falling off his chair. The Goddess and the rest were surprised, taken aback from the sudden incident. Onew stood up, his eyes worried.

 

“Taemin!” Minho cried out, his dark brown eyes full of worry as he held Taemin in his arms. The angel groaned, holding his head. Adam barked loudly, as if crying for his health and safety. “Taemin, what happened?” He was in a panic. He did not know what happened to him that made him feel like this – he was growing deeply worried for him. Was it something about the story? He did not know anymore.

 

“Head… hurts! It hurts! Makes it stop, Minho! Make it stop!” He gasped out, tears filling his eyes. His head was just pounding, pounding and pounding – as if a giant had fitted itself into his head and was stomping all his brain, creating massive pain. The orange-red rose fell out from his lap, collapsing softly onto the tiled floor, pulsing gently.

 

“Taemin!” The Goddess cried out, standing up before pointing at one of the servants. “You, please go into town and get the medical doctor, quickly!” It was not a demand – it was a plea.

 

“Onew,” she called, catching the Second-in-Command’s attention. “I need you to make the soothing potion to calm his mind!”

 

He was shocked at what she said, how will he make the soothing potion?

 

“But your highness, the materials are so hard to find nowadays! How can I possibly make it at this time?” The Goddess looked around the area for a second before looking at her right side, staring at a peculiar demon at the table. She smiled at Joon. “Joon-ssi, go with Onew and help him find the materials.” The Demon nodded at her request. Onew looked at her in pure terror.

 

“What? No way in heavens, will I go with him, your highness!” He shrieked, however, he cowered when he met her stern eyes.

 

“Onew…”

 

He gulped at the urgency in her voice. He almost tripped himself as he stepped back, his foot knocking against the chair leg.

 

He looked at the Demon Second-in-Command who was smirking at him, almost as if he had won the battle. He sighed and let out a small growl before gesturing him with his head to follow him as the duo ran out the door.

 

Key stared at the writhing Taemin in panic. He did not know what to do, he did not know what is going on – everything was in a blur. He could barely remember faces anymore. Then, a hand pulled him back. He yelped as he crashed into the chest of a male. He looked up and saw that it was Jonghyun.

 

“She sent us to get some cold water and a towel to cool down his body. Let’s go!” He told him, grabbing the angel’s hand. Then he smiled, “Don’t worry, I’m sure Taemin will be fine.” Key’s cheeks flushed red as he stared into his sparkling brown eyes before he nodded, running out the door with Jonghyun – hand-in-hand, of course.

 

“And Minho,” she paused in her sentence as she stared at the demon who held the crying angel close to him, whispering words of comfort whilst Taemin held his head, screaming in pain.

 

She could see it.

 

She could see the worry swirling in Minho’s eyes, the sincerity in his voice as he whispered to him; he was caring for him as if he was a baby whose candy fell to the ground and was comforting him with promises to buy him a new one.

 

It is exactly like that.

 

She could not help but smile a little. Perhaps he was not really lying after all.

 

“Minho-ssi,” she called out once again, capturing his attention. “Take him up to his room for me please,” she said with a nod before adding, “And please…” she looked down at her clasped hands before looking back at the expectant demon. “Do your best.”

 

Minho smiled. He did not say anything, but he nodded all in due respect to the Goddess as he carried the crying brunet angel in his arms, bridal style. He ran out the grand doors, leaving the Goddess behind in the midst of the panicking chaos. The sounds of wings rustling and flapping reverberated, echoing down the long hallway.

 

Adam jumped down from his seat and glanced around with wide, curious eyes, his droopy ears flapping as the pup turned his head. Then, the fallen rose was what caught his attention, his bright brown eyes reflecting its vivid orange-red pulsing glow. Thinking that it has belonged to his master, Taemin, he walked over to the glowing rose, his paws padding on the cool, white polished floor, completely ignoring the running and yelling of the servants and maids.

 

Once close enough, he bent down to capture it into his mouth, but failed when the black puppy pulled quickly with a shocked yelp, having his upper lip pricked by one of the thorns on the stem. Adam whined, up the small cut with his long, pink tongue. He shook his head in disgust after tasting the copper taste of blood seeping into his taste buds. The pup then growled at the immobile rose, as if he was saying, “Don’t do that to me, I’m trying to pick you up!” He tried again, now holding the non-thorny part of the stem as he held it in his mouth. He looked like a puppy messenger, giving out objects and packages to people addressed.

 

Adam sniffed the air once, then twice, breathing it in deeply before trying to recognize the scent. He sniffed the rose underneath his mouth, trying to decrypt any recognizable scent. He ran off, currently on his way to the bedroom as he followed Taemin’s scent, his small droopy ears flapping against his head.

 

Minho flew down the hallway with Taemin in his arms. He stole glances at the shorthaired brunet every now and then – he seems like he is in pain, the way he is burying his face into his chest, unable to see his expression. Just what could have happened to make him be like this? He shook his head and soared down the hallway, his wings taking up air as he flew up the castle, going to his bedroom.

 

As soon as he reached the door, landing swiftly onto his feet, he heard wings flapping. The Demon turned and smiled when he saw Adam flying towards the duo with the rose in its mouth. “Ah, nice to see you too – and you got the rose! How nice of you to bring it for Taemin~” he told him, earning a happy whine as a reply (since he would let go of the rose if he barked). He looked at the knob, and with a command of his mind that said, ‘Open,’ the grand, golden doors opened, revealing Taemin’s large, spacious white bedroom.

 

Aside from a few colors of blue, yellow and green here and there from frames to stripes on the walls, everything else was pretty much, innocently white—almost waiting to be stained by blood.

 

He scowled – that was a wrong and a cruelly gory way to describe his room, seriously. It is just so wicked of him to say that.

 

He carried the whimpering Taemin to the bed and gently set him down on it. He stared at the angel, seeing that he knitted his eyebrows tightly together, quivering occasionally. His hands clenched into fists, as if restraining himself from having to grab his hair and rip them out from his head.

 

“Taemin,” he said, crouching down and wrapped his clenched fist with both of his hands. “I don’t know what happened and I’ll have to ask you about that, but you’ll be fine. Your Mother sent a doctor for you, Onew and Joon is out to get some materials for the soothing potion. Key and Jonghyun should be up soon to cool your body temperature down.”

 

He was right – Taemin’s body was heating up and was pretty much producing sweats. He loosened his hold on his fist as he stood up. “I’m going to see if there’s anything I may be of help downstairs.”

 

Taemin still had his eyes closed, his eyebrows narrowed as he tried to handle the pounding pain. When the warmth around his fist was gone, and he heard footsteps going towards the door, he slowly opened his eyes, squinting from the bright light. His vision was blurry from the aches in his head and he could hardly think with all the flashes of his last night’s dream. He felt Adam next to him, his hand onto his black fur whilst the other was reaching out for him.

 

Stay,” his voice was soft yet audible enough to stop the Demon from exiting out the doors. Minho turned and looked at the young angel who had his arm outstretched, his eyes half-open, full of want and need as his fingers spread out, making gaps as if wanting the demon to intertwine their hands together.

 

“Stay with me…please,” he whimpered as another strike of pain hit his head.

 

It was so painful…so very painful.

 

He closed his eyes again; his arm too weak to hold up any longer as each pounding pain he received drained him away.

 

Taemin…

 

It was that voice again! Why is she in his head? Why does she rarely come out to speak to him? Why now has she come back?

 

Please do not worry – the pain will be gone soon, my dear. It will be over soon…Just bear with them a little longer.

 

More flashes. This time, the details were growing clearer. The boy he had seen in his dream now had better appearances and looked familiar to someone he knew, but he was unable to tell. The color black was blurry in his head and in the scenery. The colors were splatting onto the monochrome memory, showing the colors of the boy’s clothing. They were light grey and possibly looked like pajamas – such thin materials are not suited for the cold!

 

Taemin could see him. He could see his rosy tinted pink cheeks and the color of his hair as the dream rewound itself. Although it was hard to decode the image.

 

There is yellow and there is black – just which one are in the dream?

 

Someone grabbed his hand, fingers interlocking tightly. “I’ll stay with you.” He turned his head to see Minho sitting on his bed, holding his hand tightly as he looked at him with warm eyes. Taemin could feel his thumb tracing over the back of his hand. He smiled a little, glad for the extra company.

 

“Thank you…” It was all he could say to him.

 


 

The angel drank the soothing potion after Onew and Joon had the longest time of receiving the materials as they came in, panting and full of scars and bruises. Minho stayed close beside him, holding his hand as the angel slept soundly, the cold, folded white rag on his bare forehead, laid underneath his bangs as small drops of cold water seeped onto his face, eventually cooling him down.

 

The doctor came in earlier after this, and he was shocked to see that a Demon was in his bedroom. He almost accused him if it was not for the Goddess who came in beside him and explained the reason why he was here. He turned in his seat and looked at the brunette standing beside him, her eyes full of worry and her hands clasping tightly.

 

“It seems that he only had a mere headache that caused him to grow nauseous, is all. It may be a phantasm occurring in his mind, but it is nothing you should worry about at all. It has been giving him stress, so that could be the reason why he had received some massive pain.”

 

“I see,” mumbled The Goddess as she stared at the angel who is still sleeping, his head tilted towards the demon who sat beside him. Then she turned to the doctor and bowed halfway in gratitude, her long, open sleeves moving as she did the action. “I thank you for trying your best to solve the problem. I hope that he’ll get better, as you said.”

 

The doctor stood up and packed away his things into his case before standing up and bowing to the Goddess before looking at her. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to have a word with you,” he stole a glance at Minho who has his eyes glued onto the sleeping shorthaired brunet before looking back at the female with stern eyes. “Alone.”

 

The latter bit her bottom lip before letting out a sigh. She looked at Minho for a bit and said, “We’ll be outside, just need to have a small talk.” She saw that slight nod from the demon, but his eyes were not looking at her. They both exited out of Taemin’s bedroom, closing the door behind them before the doctor turned to the Goddess.

 

“What were you thinking?” He hissed, almost as if she betrayed him. The woman sighed at this.

 

“It’s only for a reason, I promise you that.”

 

“But even so, you mustn’t keep him here! Don’t tell me you left him alone with the prince when you called for me, did you?”

 

Silence droned on between them before a groan broke it. “Cousin, you should know better! I don’t trust that demon – he could have been fooling you all.”

 

The Goddess frowned, brushing a strand of her dark brown hair away from her face. “But I saw him,” she told him. “I saw how he changes in front of my son, and I knew that he was different and wasn’t telling any lies. He is honest. Seungho-ah, why can you not see that? Did you not see how he looked so worried for his wellbeing?”

 

Seungho narrowed his eyes at his cousin before scratching his blond hair. “Even if that’s were to be the case, it must have been a joke. He could be in there, laughing at how stupid we are and we were blind enough to fall for his trap. He is evil, and you must keep that in mind. He could have possibly been the one who made the prince be in a state he’s in now!” He took a deep breath and exhaled before crossing his arms over his chest, his eyes now serious as he spoke, “I cannot believe you let a Demon trespass the Angels’ territory!”

 

Three. There’s more than just him alone in this castle,” she told him.

 

His eyes went wide at the number of Demons she let them into the kingdom before letting out a deep groan, hanging his head back. Then he looked at the Goddess who had put on a nonchalant expression on her face yet her eyes were full of guilt. “You…! I do not know why Father let you take over the kingdom when you are doing such reckless things! No way, I’m sorry but if he’s not there by the time I come back to check up on the prince… well, that Demon need to—”

 

The sound of the doorknob twisting and the doors flung open so suddenly, revealing an expressionless Minho. Seungho stopped his sentence as he stared at the Demon. He only looked at them both before staring at the doctor with grim eyes, examining him up and down.

 

“Minho-ssi…” The Goddess was shocked to see him standing there. He turned his towards the woman and let out a small chuckle, a smirk visible on his face.

 

“In case you’ve forgotten, the walls are not soundproof, sadly,” he nonchalantly told them.

 

Then he looked at Seungho, who flinched at the sudden eye contact. “Don’t act like you know me. You don’t know my past, and I don’t know yours – end of story.” With that said, he walked past them, his long legs making massive strides in his movement as he went away from the duo.

 

The Goddess looked at Seungho with furrowed eyes, clearly upset with him before gathering up her gown and went after him, leaving the shocked doctor behind.

 

Minho was already at the end of the staircase when he heard hurried footsteps going down the stairs, heels clacking against the wooden material.

 

He turned to see the Goddess a few steps behind him, panting slightly. He could see her flushed red cheeks and the faint blue veins on her clenched fists that gripped the hems of her gown tightly, preventing them from being muddled up with her legs so she does not trip.

 

The dark-haired demon only smiled and held out his hand, in which she took, taking the rest of the stairs down until she stood next to him, her hand on her chest.

 

“A Goddess shouldn’t run – that’s not ladylike of you,” he told her. He could see how similar she is to Taemin, the way she scrunched up her face in annoyance. Though there is no resemblance in appearance, there are some similarities in personality.

 

“I apologize if my cousin’s words hurt you. Even though I have doubts about you and am still building my trust in you, I believe you,” she said to him, her voice small and gentle.

 

The Demon let go of her hand and smiled. “You’re the same,” he told him with a chuckle. “Taemin would have said the same thing if he hadn’t met me. You are similar to him. The two of you may not match in appearances, but the way both of you act in certain situations are similar.” Then he shrugged his shoulders as he turned his back on her. “I’m not too fazed by his words – all Angels are still like that. I can’t just sit and cry about it – I’ll just have to accept the fact that they still have doubts in me and everything else,” he paused before looking at the Goddess with bright eyes as he continued his sentence; “For that is the truth they speak.”

 

The Goddess’ eyes widened at his words. She could not say anything to that – all Angels are always honest. It is not as if they could try to force out a soulless compliment to the Demon.

 

It will just produce lies.

 

“I’m not leaving – Taemin will have to dismiss me first. Therefore, I’m stuck here with him.” He told her. “I’m just going to prepare some things for the little angel when he wakes.” He turned around before bowing to the woman. He stood up straight, and without a single word, he turned back and walked off his own way inside the castle, leaving the Goddess behind with his words echoing in his mind.

 


 

He crashed onto the ground with a painful groan, lying in the midst of the darkness.

 

“Ow, that hurts,” groaned Taemin as he sat up, shaking his head to get out from the sudden impact. “I feel like I just came down from my high or Cloud Nine or something…” He looked around, seeing nothing but utterly black. “Am I in my dream? I’m asleep, aren’t I?”

 

He did not know anymore. It was too dark. Then, a flash emerged him, causing the angel to cover his eyes, shielding them from the blinding light. He moved his hands slowly, trying to get his eyes to adjust to the light before seeing that it was the same memory that appeared in his head, but with a little bit more color in it this time and with a little more detail.

 

The young boy walked in the snow, his arms wrapped around his torso. Taemin could see the grey pajamas he was wearing, but, as if he was watching a film, the appearance was blurry. He scowled and narrowed his eyes at the scene he is witnessing once again.

 

Another flash—it had forwarded to the scene where the boy had his back the angel, his hand on the bark of the large tree that was planted in the midst of the leafless trees, the snow coming down gently. He did not shiver from the cold. His head perked up from the sound. He turned towards its direction, his face now seen to Taemin.

 

His eyes widened at the appearance. “No way!” He examined his features – pale, milky skin; rosy pink lips, feline eyes. “Is that… Key-umma?”

 

Does that means he is watching the memory of Key? Taemin could only stand there in shock as he watched the scene before him.

 

“Hello?” He called out.

 

A person stepped out from the trees, coat on. The hood on the figure’s head was shadowing the features. The figure was slender and curvy, clearly shown underneath the blue-grey cloak. Taemin seen this part already – he is waiting to see who was it that found Key. Then, it pulled down the hood, revealing the person. Taemin’s eyes widened. He recognized those fully brown eyes. They were from a person so dearly close to him.

 

It was…

 

“Mother?” Taemin whispered out. How was he seeing the past in his dreams? Someone must have the possession of time to even show this in his dream, but as far as he know, neither Key, his Mother, Minho or even Jonghyun has the ability to manipulate time.

 

The young blonde-haired Angel’s eyes widened at the sight of the woman who stood amongst the whiteness of the forest. He held a scared expression as she came close to him. The Goddess crouched down to his eye level and stared at him deeply into his brown eyes.

 

“Little one,” she spoke, her voice warm and gentle. “What are you doing in a place like this? You shouldn’t be out here in the cold.”

 

He hesitated. Her beauty entranced him and he was speechless. In a small voice, he spoke, “Cold? I cannot feel the cold, ma’am…I do not know… I can’t remember where I came from…”

 

She frowned a little. “Where are your parents?”

 

“I don’t know where they are…I don’t know if I have them…” He spoke, his eyes teary and his voice cracking. “I don’t know where I am!” Finally, tears fell down his icy cheeks. “I want to go home! I don’t like it here!” He wailed, rubbing his eyes continuously, his vision blurry from the salty, warm tears. Then, he felt a small hand patting his head. He looked to see the woman smiling at him.

 

“There, there,” she whispered, patting his head in comfort. “Do not cry, little one.” She reached out to wipe a tear from his face and used her sleeve to wipe away his little cute snot. “I’m here to help you. I will take you to where I live, and I shall give you a Mother who will love and tend for you.” She held his left hand. There, on his wrist, was the silver bracelet. The Goddess read the engraved words on it – ‘Frost’.

 

‘So he can’t feel the cold, because he is the cold.’ She thought with a small smile and looking back at the blonde-haired Angel whose eyes was wide and hopeful. She could see the icy blue color swirling in his eyes. “I also have a wonderful boy who’s willing to be your first friend.”

 

“Really?”

 

She nodded before standing up, still holding his hand as she directed the boy towards the Angels’ side. “What is your name, little one?”

 

The Angel bit his bottom lip before answering, “I’m called Kibum. It’s very nice to meet you, ma’am!”

 

The Goddess smiled, her frosty eyelashes brushing against her rosy pink cheeks as she blinked. “It’s very nice to meet you too.”

 

Taemin stood there, watching the memory in shock. He did not know that the boy was his Key-umma. He knew of his past, but to see it like this… he did not know at all! Then, the memory paused and sort of became… a glitch.

 

His appearance was changing.

 

It rewound itself again, back to where he was running in the snow. He could see his small bare feet, making footsteps in the snow but then masked by the falling snowflakes.

 

The boy emerged into the middle of the forest, where the great, big tree stood. He looked a bit disappointed. The colors had not yet appeared on him, so it was hard to tell.

 

“…”

 

Taemin frowned. “He seems so quiet… different from Key-umma,” He said to himself as he watched the boy walked up to the tree with careful footsteps, monochrome eyes full of wonder. He had his back to him with his hand on the bark of the tree, but his position had changed.

 

It looked like a mirrored version of the original, an inverted version of the other. Instead of being from the right side of the tree, he is on the opposite. Taemin could see the same grey pajamas, but his hair… his hair was ebony black. His two small horns appeared on each side of his head, laid between his tousled locks of hair. The colors were seeping onto the boy.

 

His eyes widened. “It can’t be!”

 

He turned around. Taemin collapsed to his knees, weak from the shock.

 

“Minho?”

 

The dark-haired young boy stared up quietly at the source of the sound. A person with a buff figure emerged from the trees, a muscular hand holding his bright red cloak to keep himself warm.

 

He looked familiar… then it hit him.

 

“The Duke!” He whispered to himself as he immersed himself into the scene.

 

The young boy only stood there with an expressionless face as the Duke came close to him, wrapping the cloak around his body.

 

“Why are you wearing such thin clothing? Aren’t you cold?”

 

He shook his head. The snowflakes that made contact with his face melted away in an instant. There was no spot of snow on him anywhere. This was unlike Key’s – snow covered him, but he never shivered from the bitter cold.

 

The Duke frowned at this. “Why are you out here alone? Do you know where your parents are?”

 

A shake of his head was his reply.

 

“You don’t know?”

 

A nod was his reply.

 

“Do you have any parents?”

 

He hesitated before looking down with sad eyes. As his response, he sadly shook his head ‘no.’

 

The Duke felt pity for this young boy – he is a child who does not know where he came from nor had any parents; he could not leave him alone, can he? He held his right hand and felt the cold metal of the accessory. He took a glance at it – ‘Inferno’.

 

‘I see,’ he thought. ‘This must be his possession of his power – he can’t feel the cold because he is the flame that up the bitter cold and keeps it warm. He is his own fireplace.’

 

He fixed the cloak onto the boy and smiled as he stared into those brown eyes that burned with blazing orange-red. “I’ll be your Father and take care of you every day. Would that make you feel better?”

 

He could see his eyes widen in surprise before a smile traced his lips, his cheeks rosy pink. He nodded and held his hand tightly, spreading his warmth into the elder male as he stood up and guided him out of the forest. The Duke smiled. He did not need his cloak – he will have him as his hearth.

 

“What is your name?”

 

“…” Silence droned on. Then, a small voice called out, “It’s Minho.”

 

“Well, nice to meet you Minho. You’ll make a wonderful family member to the kingdom.”

 

He gave him a nod as his reply.

 

Taemin was more in shock as the memory faded, leaving him in the dark. Both Key and Minho had encountered similar events—Minho met the Duke whilst Key met the Goddess – his Mother.

 

Yet why are these appearing in his dreams? Was it supposed to tell him something? He thought back to the color of their hearts – they both glowed light grey. He thought back about their powers – Fire and Ice are complete opposite.

 

It was not two memories coming from two people. It was a memory, coming from two people. The duo has the same memory with slight differences – like as if they were mirroring each other.

 

“What is this? I don’t understand…” He mumbled to himself as he stepped back. He bumped into someone and he turned around in surprise. It was that woman again; he could see her long aqua hair flowing down with her white gown and her light green-blue eyes sparkling. “You!” A sudden boom occurred throughout his body, stunning the angel and shutting down his body. He fell into her arms, growing weak as his eyes grew tired. He tried to keep them open but then, she spoke in a soft, melodious voice:

 

“Go back, my darling Taemin. You still have much to learn, but you need to rest.”

 

Taemin reached out for her face, and he could feel her wrap her hand around his hand. “What…? I don’t want to…” He struggled against the force that was shutting his eyes. He could feel her brush his hair away from his face and her lips pressing against his forehead.

 

“Go and rest, my darling.”

 

Everything turned black as he closed his eyes in the arms of the unknown enchanter.

 


 

Taemin woke up with a jolt, his wide brown eyes staring up at the white ceiling. The pounding headache that occurred earlier in the ballroom had vanished without a trace. He looked around and saw little puppy Adam sleeping on his lap and the Demon sleeping on the side of his bed, holding his hand as he had his head on the soft mattress, unmoving from his position.

 

He stared at their intertwined fingers. He stayed here all this time for me… he thought with a smile as he reached out and brushed a strand of his black hair away, seeing his sleeping face. He looked so peaceful and angelic. He placed a finger on one of his horn and traced the spiraling curve. He could hear him purr underneath his touch, his lips twitching into a small smile as if he enjoyed the sensation he was feeling.

 

I wonder if it feels good… I want to have horns and know what it feels like to him… he thought to himself as he continued to touch the horns, unable to get enough from the indescribable feeling as the demon purred more loudly, almost in pleasure, his cheeks growing red.

 

Then he moaned.

 

N-Nngh… more…

 

Taemin drew his hand back in shock; his cheeks flushed red at his moan.

 

To think that his moan is y… he thought before then thinking, if someone ever took him like that, then how would he sound? He imagined the scene for a brief moment before he exploded hot pink bunny steam, his entire face growing tomato red and his hair was just in an ultimate mess for thinking such , erse thoughts.

 

Someone taking Minho like that is just…!

 

He bit his bottom lip to contain his squeals before slapping himself on the face.

 

“Taemin, what are you doing? This is utterly nonsense! How dare you think of Minho like that! Though it means that his horns are his ultimate weakness and his ual desire, it is wrong of you to do such a thing! Starting today, I will not touch his horns unless necessary, no matter how pleasing and… breathtaking hot he sounded when he moans – ah, so cute~ I want to do it again~” He cooed, clasping his hands together as he giggled before looking back. As he did, he saw brown eyes staring back at him.

 

They do not seem so pleased at all.

 

Oh, he is awake.

 

Taemin froze underneath his stare that screamed, “Murder!”

 

“H-How much did you hear?” He asked him, stammering and stumbling over his words, as he was not expecting him to wake up so soon.

 

Minho stared at him with an expressionless look on his face, narrowing his big eyes at him as he said, “From the part where you want to touch my horns again to now.”

 

. . . .

 

(Dot, dot, dot, dot…)

 

Taemin buried his face into the pillow and let out a muffled, embarrassed scream whilst Minho glared at him (though, deep inside, he is laughing at his embarrassment).

 

Adam… well, the poor puppy just does not understand why his master is screaming into his pillow as he sat on his bed, his head tilted to the side in confusion.

 

Seriously, Taemin?”

 

The angel whimpered in his pillow, ashamed of himself that he could not even look up. Then he peeked from the pillow, his eyes glassy. “I’m sorry! But it’s just—when you were purring, you reminded me of a cat and I—I swear, I wasn’t—I didn’t know you’d find it pleasuring until you moaned! And, and, and I just—” He was cut off by Minho’s thumb on his lips, seeing his reddened face and his twitching eyebrows.

 

“Okay, okay, okay, I got it, gosh.” Then he chuckled. “You are one, erted little angel.”

 

Taemin pouted at this. “I’d blame Key-umma for that. At least my heart is still white. I doubt anyone knows that I’m barely innocent when it comes to things like this.”

 

“You can say that again.”

 

The beings giggled together. Adam, who was annoyed that they had left him out for some time, barked in jealousy and pushed Minho’s hand away with his head. Then he went into the angel’s arms and growled at the Demon who put his hands in defense.

 

“Geez, I didn’t know that dogs can get jealous! Fine, fine, keep him to yourself, but I’m telling you,” he pointed at the black puppy that pawed at his finger as he said with a grin. “Taemin’s my little angel, you hear?” Adam only turned his head away and Taemin’s cheek, earning a giggle from the angel.

 

Minho tsk’ed at this and mumbled, “What a stubborn little puppy…”

 

Taemin could only laugh, but his heart was racing so fast that his laughter died down quickly as he stared at the Demon. Adam left his lap and began rolling around on the floor, now uninterested of what the duo was doing (as it is something that he is not concerned about). This feeling… he thought before biting his bottom lip.

 

Maybe I am…

 

Then he chuckled mentally to himself, shaking his head.

 

I am still unsure…it is too early to assume now.

 

(A/N: Oh, for Christ’s sake – Taemin, you bloody know that you like Minho, gosh!)

 

“Taemin,” his voice brought him out his thoughts as he looked at the Demon who then had worried eyes. “What happened exactly? The doctor said that it was a phantasm of your dream causing you stress, but I have doubts about that.”

 

He blinked twice before looking down at the pup that looked up at him with dark brown eyes, full of innocence and curiosity. I want to know that too…why that dream appeared in my head… “Oh well, that’s…” he trailed off before clamping his lips tight.

 

Should I tell him? Should I tell him what happened in my dreams?

 

Should I tell him that I saw his and Key’s memories?

 

He shook his head and told him with a sheepish grin, “It’s nothing you should worry about! I think it was because of last night – I suppose that black corruption is still there in my mind…”

 

I could not tell him in the end…

 

Minho smiled and ruffled his hair as he said, “Don’t worry about that now. As long it doesn’t bother you, you’re fine.” He pulled his hand away, his fingers feeling the softness of his locks as they uncurled. “Now,” he paused as he took out an object towards the angel. “Here.”

 

“Oh?” Taemin took the small box into his hand. Then he scowled. “Can you stop giving me presents? I feel bad enough as I am, as I have not given you anything… You always spoil me. Just because I’m the heir of the Angel Kingdom, doesn’t mean you have to spoil me too!” He huffed, looking away from his smiling face as he mumbled, “Thank you anyways.”

 

He took one look at the small, porcelain white box before opening it. His eyes widened at the sight of the object in his hand. He looked at Minho, who only smiled warmly at him then back at the object.

 

“M-Minho…”

 

“Do you like it?” He asked the brunet, his eyebrows rose in wonder, anxious of what he thought about the present.

 

Taemin took out the small, silver accessory. It was a ring, and judging from engravings, it was handmade with a hint of magic. He eyed it closely, looking at the small words – ‘Amity Forever – Demon’.

 

“I made another for myself. I’m wearing it right now,” Minho grinned, taking out his right hand. There, on his ring finger, was the identical silver ring with the engravings that said, ‘Amity Forever – Angel’. Taemin felt rather touched. He was so surprised that he could barely speak.

 

“Do you want me to put it on your finger for you?” He offered, taking the ring from his hand, his eyebrows raised. The brunet bit his lip, smiling a little as he nodded, holding out his left hand. Minho held his hand, his fingers onto the boy’s ring finger as he slipped the silver accessory onto it, fitting him perfectly.

 

Taemin pulled his hand back and looked at the ring on his finger in awe before chuckling. Now that he has it on, he was unable to stop twisting it around as he felt the newly added accessory (aside from his rosary ring on his index finger) turn slightly, the ring cool on his flesh.

 

“I feel like we just got married.” Taemin joked, his cheeks flushing red. Minho chuckled at his light joke; however, his heart raced at that thought. It did feel like that at one point. “Thank you, Minho. I don’t know what to say,” he said to the demon with a warm smile on his face, his eyes turning into crescents. The dark-haired male only shook his head.

 

“It’s nothing. I feel like that I should reward you each time you made me feel better,” he told him, pausing for a moment before saying, “You deserve to be spoiled. I should be giving you things since you never have a chance to go out.”

 

Taemin smiled before it turned into a small frown, “But if you do that, what will I give you? I’ll feel bad that I’m only receiving and not giving.”

 

Minho smirked and tapped his cheek as he leaned in to the angel. The shorthaired brunet rolled his eyes with a huff before smiling and leaning close, pressing his lips onto his skin. When he pulled back, he playfully pushed the demon away from his bed. “Aish, seriously!”

 

“What? Fair is fair – each time I give you a present, I will get a peck in return. It’s simple, no?” He told him. In reply was a roll of his eyes before a nod.

 

“Fine, have it your way then – call!” He agreed, taking out his hand. Minho grinned and took out his, joining hands together. They nodded as they shook hands, making it a done deal. Then they smiled at each other, hands tightly clasped together. Their rings sparkled brightly on their ring fingers, the words shown as they held hands.

 

It was nearly dark when Taemin had fallen asleep after their shares of talks and such. At first, the angel did not want to go to sleep and wanted Minho to stay overnight, but the Demon refused, knowing that it will be bad if he stayed any longer. He had no doubt that Joon and Jonghyun had left the Angel Kingdom.

 

Minho stared at the beauty in front of him and smiled, reaching out to brush a loose strand away from his eyes. He clasped his hands together and rested them onto his stomach. He could see his rings – the rosary ring and the amity ring. He twisted the ring on his right ring finger as he subconsciously stared at the accessory.

 

Taemin, he thought, I like you.

 

He bit his bottom lip as he swallowed the words back down his throat. He could not say it, not here and not now. It is not time. Taemin has not realized it yet.

 

Taemin, goddamnit, why are you doing this to me? He let out a sigh as he stood up.

 

He looked to see Adam sleeping on the cold, cold floor, his body curled up into a ball. He went over and picked the pup up into his arms, feeling his ears and paws twitch. He carried him over to the angel’s bed and gently put him next to the sleeping boy. He stared at them for a while before looking at the boy in the dark, the dimly lit lamps surrounding them.

 

The moonlight crept into the bedroom through the large window, creating a cool atmosphere.

 

Minho smiled as he saw the boy smile in his dream.

 

I am not supposed to feel like this… you are ruining me…

 

He reached out again, touching his hair. He could feel the softness of the locks. Though he missed the long hair he had, this style was better. His fingers trailed down to his face, and he could see the contrast between his pale skin and his tan color. He stared at his lips – those lips that were always calling out for him.

 

…Screw the rule – them all, he thought with a scowl. I wish we were all able to live comfortably without hating each other… then… we would be able to hang out as we wish…

 

He leaned in towards the angel’s face, growing close until he can feel him breathing onto him.

 

“Actually,” he whispered, “All I want is a kiss from you…” His lips were a few centimeters away from Taemin’s soft ones. Closing his eyes, he pressed them together, feeling the softness of his lips.

 

This is what he wanted from him. He wanted a simple, sweet kiss that will make his heart swoon.

 

What a shame.

 

It is such a shame that the rule is intact to keep them apart.

 

Such a shame – Minho could have loved him anytime and anywhere he wished.

 

Life was not fair. Life is a y game. Life was just plain stupid, playing us all like puppets.

 

Minho walked up to the doors, his hand on the knob. He took one last look at the sleeping angel in his bed and smiled.

 

Sweet dream, my little angel,” He whispered, his voice carrying out into the empty vacuum of the spacious bedroom. It was the last of him as he exited the door. It caught a glimpse of his black hair before the door quietly shut behind him.

 


 

The Demon was in the backyard, fixing his wrist cuffs as he was preparing himself to leave.

 

“Leaving?” Minho turned to see the Goddess, a small smile on her face as she went up to the male. “I just wanted to say, thank you, for your lovely help with everything and all. It’s still unexpected of you to do so, so I thought you’d like a compliment.” She told him, a motherly smile on her face.

 

He smiled, “You’re welcome. I did what I’ve done.”

 

“I’m thinking of giving Taemin permission to go out.”

 

His eyes widened at her decision, as she looked away, staring up at the full moon. “Are you sure? You could change your mind – what if something happened to him?”

 

The Goddess looked at him, her eyes firm. “Aren’t you his Demon Guardian, his protector?” Then she smiled. “He’ll have you, am I right? I think it is time for me to realize that he needs to have his own life. Keeping him stuck here will get him nowhere. I’ve learnt that from you.” Minho looked down at the ground, staring at his feet.

 

“However,” her voice grabbed his attention, seeing her serious eyes. “I must assure you, the relationship between you two must always remain friends. Do not fall in love with him at all cost.”

 

Clench.

 

His heart felt as if someone had stabbed it a thousand times, as he stared at the Goddess wide-eyed. “O-Of course.”

 

The Goddess narrowed her eyes at him, “Are you in love with my son?”

 

“Hell no!”

 

Hell yeah I am!

 

“I am not! Your Highness, you know what’s the rule is. I cannot fall for an Angel or I’ll face the consequences and the Great War will break out once again.”

 

With each word he spoke, knives stabbed his heart, the black muscle beating painfully.

 

She nodded, wrapping her arms around her torso. “Good…that’s good,” she paused for a moment before sighing. “I’m sorry if I was harsh with you there, it’s just…” She trailed off, looking away for a momentary time before placing her eyes back on the demon. “I just don’t want to fight you in that war.” The latter only nodded and looked away, showing his side profile.

 

“Well,” he said. “I must take my leave.”

 

“Tell your Father I’ve said hello,” the Goddess told him, taking careful backward steps.

 

“…Will do,” was all he said as he turned his back onto the Goddess. He heard footsteps walking away, the tap-tap-tapping growing softer and softer until he could no longer hear her.

 

Damnit, I should have never met him… he thought with gritted teeth. It will only cause problems for the both of us. He stretched out his wings, and he was about to take off until…

 

Wait!”

 

Minho turned around to see Key, the blonde-haired Guardian panting as he held a hand to his chest, trying to steady his breathing. “What? What is it?”

 

Silence droned between them as they locked their brown eyes into contact. Silver bracelets shone underneath moonlit area as the Guardian Angel stepped closer towards the dark-haired male.

 

“Do you not know me?”

 

The Demon’s eyebrows furrowed. “I know you’re…Key, right? Kibum, so I heard from Jonghyun.”

 

“Yeah, but do you know me?”

 

Minho stared at him. Well, he does seem familiar… Slowly, he shook his head. “I’m sorry; I don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t think I’ve met you somewhere.”

 

Key sighed, his eyes averted to the ground as if he was disappointed as he only said, “Oh.”

 

“I’m sorry,” he apologized again. Key shook his head.

 

“No, it’s fine. It is just that you looked familiar so I thought we have met somewhere… I thought you’d…” he trailed off before shaking his head again. “No, never-mind, it’s nothing. Sorry for bothering you.” He bowed deeply and silently walked away.

 

Minho only stood there in confusion before shrugging it off and opening his wings again. However, before he took off, he looked back at the direction where the blonde-haired person had left and softly said, “I could say the same to you…”

 

Sounds of wings flapping resonated around the area, the bushes rustling from the breeze as the demon took off into the sky.