Rejection

Demon & Angel—Forbidden Love

Okay, before I get on with the story, this is mainly a passing memory in his head as we go back in time to find out who is his past love before he turned Taemin down.

 

We are all going to find out who is his past love and why did he not like Taemin back the same way. (Moreover, yes, boys can like boys; girls can like girls, boys can like girls; girls can like boys—I really do not care, my story, my choice.)

 

In addition, love is love; there are no restrictions for it between genders—I am just saying.

 


 

Young Taemin was standing in front of the gates, fidgeting with his fingers as he hesitated to enter. It was, of course, his first year coming into the academy. He was clearly nervous, for he had thoughts running through his head.

 

What should I do if they do not like me? Other than knowing that it’s an academy mixed with Demons and Angels, I really do not want to run into one of the Demons!

 

Oh my God! What would they do if they saw me?

 

He jumped when he felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up to see his ‘umma,’ Key, who was smiling at him. This was his first year as well, even though he looked a bit older than the brunet did.

 

“Now, now, don’t fret too much! You’ll gain wrinkles that quickly if you stress out.”

 

Taemin pouted at this and whined, “I don’t want to get wrinkles! They’re ugly!”

 

“Then get your inside the academy and stop stalling out here,” Key deadpanned with a roll of his eyes and, with a strong shove; he pushed him through the gates.

 

He yelped, falling face-first onto the ground, causing all beings to look at him.

 

“Hahaha, look, it’s a fresh meat! And he looks so girly too!” A Demon called out, causing his group to laugh out at the angel while the Angels just scoffed at the group, scolding them for saying that to the new student.

 

Taemin looked up and pretty much glared at the group that did not noticed the harsh action before he huffed in irritation, wiping his nose and his eyes.

 

Great, just great—it has not been more than 5 seconds and they are already mocking him.

 

At least it was the Demons…

 

“Are you okay?” An unfamiliar male voice called him out and he looked up to see a handsome young male. His charming appearance bewitched him.

 

He smiled at him and took out his hand, “C’mon, let me help you up.”

 

The angel hesitated for a bit before he finally took hold of his strong, muscular hand, pulling himself up.

 

“My name’s Taecyeon. You must be new here. What’s your name?”

 

Taemin looked at him with a small smile, his cheeks red as he bowed him and introduced himself, “M-My name is T-Taemin…”

 

He smiled at him once again and the brunet could have sworn that his heart had skipped a beat. “Taemin. What a beautiful name, it’s very nice.”

 

He could have sworn that his heart skipped a beat at his words.

 

Taecyeon looked over his shoulders before taking a step back, smiling at the student. “I got to go, the lessons are almost about to start. It was nice meeting you Taemin!” Taemin nodded absentmindedly, waving as he watched him leave.

 

He sighed—but his sigh was different, it was more of a ‘dreamily in love’ sigh.

 

“Ooh, I see Minnie is in love~?” Taemin yelped at the voice in his ear and jumped back from the smirking Key.

 

His cheeks went red and stubbornly looked away, saying, “A-As if!” before he walked off, leaving the giggling Key behind.

 

“Oh, Taeminnie, you are clearly love-struck. This is called love at first sight~” Key chuckled before going to catch up with the brunet.

 


 

He has been settling into the academy quite well after a month has passed. He recently found out that Key gained an enemy in which he called ‘Dino’ and they always do rude remarks to each other every time they bump into each other. Taemin found it a bit annoying that even now, they continued to do this—and it was strange because they seem to never get tired of it.

 

“Hey you, girly angel, look this way!” A Demon called out and he turned, only to have a football slamming into his face.

 

The Demons laughed as they watched the young angel cry out in pain, holding his face, his books fallen to the floor. One of them managed to grab them and run off, but that plan failed when he ran into a muscular chest.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?”

 

Wait… that voice…

 

“It’s none of your ing business!” The Demon hissed out at him, but screeched when his hand was on his shoulder, gripping it so tightly that he could hear bones cracking. The books successfully fell into the male’s hands and he only smiled at the Demon, leaving him with his broken shoulder.

 

Taemin looked up to see Taecyeon holding out his books to him. “These are yours, right?”

 

His heart thudded at the softness of his voice and he could feel his cheeks burning as he nodded. Hell, he felt like fainting when he received the books from him, their fingers brushing gently against each other—even though it was a short moment.

 

“T-Thank you, Taecyeon-ssi…”

 

“It’s no problem, Taemin,” he told him with a smile before bidding him adieu, going to his destination.

 

That was the last of him as the brunet stared at the male who walked away, wishing that the distance between them would grow closer and closer instead of going further and further away.

 


 

“Key-umma, do you know Taecyeon-ssi?” Taemin asked him this one day, outside the building during break.

 

“Huh? Who, you’re talking about Taec-hyung?” Taemin’s blood boiled at the fact that Key managed to be close with him to give him that nickname. How was it that he managed to do that, yet he cannot?

 

“Yes, I’m talking about him. I’m wondering if you know much about him.”

 

Key nodded, setting down his apple on the table in order to look at the angel. “Of course I do. I heard he is popular around the Angels and all the girls are totally in love with him. From my observation, he seems to lean more to girls with long hair.”

 

Long hair… He pouted, but I am not a girl.

 

Sensing his doubtfulness, he put a hand on Taemin’s arm and smiled, “Don’t worry; he might as well like you since you look like a girl.”

 

“Aish, I don’t want to look like a girl!” Still, I want to catch his attention.

 

“Then you’re not getting him.” Key simply said with a smirk, knowing he has won when Taemin groaned.

 

He pinched at his hair, which has already gone to the back of his neck, surely enough by his third year; it should go past his shoulders. By his second year, his hair might as well go sitting on his shoulders by then.

 

“Fine…I’ll do that.” He grumbled and walked away; fully aware of the consequences he will get from growing his hair out.

 

Key smiled at how he was trying so hard to gain his attention, but that faded as he looked back down at his bitten apple as he realized that he purposely left out a part about Taecyeon. That he already has his eyes on someone.

 

“If only you knew, Minnie… if only you knew…”

 


 

IN HIS SECOND YEAR—SAINT VALENTINE’S DAY

 

Taemin, now in his second year of the academy (should be looking about 17 years old), was standing there from afar, holding the heart chocolate box in which he has made himself (with the help of Key). He watched as Taecyeon moved away from his group of friends and on his way to his locker, down in the hallway the angel was just in.

 

He could help but giggle when he found that his locker was full of love letters, probably from the girls he was popular with, but it made his blood boil with jealousy. He it up, taking a deep breath before wishing himself good luck as he made his way over to the male.

 

“T-Taecyeon-ssi, may I have a moment with you?” He called, catching the male’s attention who looked at him surprised.

 

“Oh, Taemin! I was not expecting you to be here—and your hair had grown longer than I thought. And your hair color changed too!” He smiled at the angel who blushed at the gushing compliment.

 

Well, it is true, his hair was rather long and his hair has gone into the color of light brown.

 

“Um, thanks…”

 

“You do realize that you may be mistaken as a girl for that, right?” He joked. Taemin pouted, yes of course he knows, he had suffered a long while being teased by the Demons of his hair.

 

“Yes, I know…but that’s not what I’m here for!” The angel said to him, his eyes full of determination. “Taecyeon-ssi…”

 

Oh god, this was so hard. He clutched onto the box as adrenaline rushed through him, clearly feeling nervous of the outcome that may come after this.

 

“This may be of a shock to you,” he started as he looked at him with cautious eyes before confessing in a loud voice, releasing the pressure in his chest.

 

“I really like you since we first met that day!” This clearly shocked the elder; he can see that, so he bowed down 90°, holding out the box to the dark-haired male was standing there in shock. “Please accept my feelings!”

 

Taecyeon smiled warmly and took the chocolate into hand, making the angel look up with hopeful eyes.

 

“Thank you, Taemin-ah, for your confession and this lovely chocolate.” That was all it needs to make his pure, white heart soar in the air, full of happiness.

 

Yet, he felt his heart falling when he said, “But I can’t accept your feelings.”

 

His smile dropped slightly, enduring the arrows that was stabbing his heart when he listened to his next words, “I like you as a friend. You’re like my younger brother—it’s weird for me to like someone who’s my friend.”

 

Then his heart finally dropped to the floor, shattering loudly and crashing into pieces, wishing he could have ran away when he heard him say:

 

“And… I regret saying this, but I’m already in love with somebody else.”

 

Taemin had never felt like pushing him away and scream out, “I hate you! Go away!” Yet, he swallowed back his words and forced a smile. “Ah, really?”

 

He nodded and the young angel could not help but let out a deep sad sigh, “I see…”

 

“I’m sorry, Taemin, I really am, but I just don’t feel the same way with you.”

 

Stop breaking my heart even more, you idiot! Just…just go away! Once again, he swallowed his words and nodded in understanding.

 

“It’s okay. At least I got it out before I regret it…”

 

Taecyeon smiled at him and nodded. Do not smile at me like that anymore. It is as if you pity me.

 

Stop it. Put that look away.

 

I hate pity.

 

“Taecyeon-ssi… I wish you good luck with getting that one person you love, so… hwaiting!” Taemin said brightly, pumping his fist in the air. The elder chuckled and nodded, thanking him for his support.

 

“Thanks, Taemin!” Then he checked the time and clicked his tongue. “Darn, I have to go; my friends are waiting on me.”

 

He shook his head, acting as if he did not mind—he did mind. “No problem. I shall put away the love letters for you.”

 

“Thank you so much for your cooperation. Well, I’ll be leaving, see you later!” Taecyeon ran off with his chocolate.

 

You thief… Come back with my chocolate…

 

He bent down to pick up the love letters—slowly, one by one, he picked them into his arms.

 

He saw a wet spot on the pink paper and realized that he was crying. He wiped his eyes away, blinking back tears as he resumed picking up the love letters.

 

It hurts.

 

It is as if he is picking up the pieces of his heart.

 

More tears pricked his eyes and he screamed in frustration, abruptly throwing away the love letters.

 

I hate this! Why did this happen to me?” He wailed loudly, clutching onto his own shirt. He was on his knees, pounding the hard floor. He wailed more, as for he was experiencing heartbreak and rejection for the first time.

 

He covered his face with both of his hands and sobbed, his endless tears flowing.

 

Moreover, there was no one but him, alone in the hallway, his sobs unheard by the world outside.

 

That is why he began to be afraid of love—he began to forget what it is like to be in love, until the pain in his chest was fully gone.

 

This is why he was afraid, that if he fell in love, no matter how much he tried to prove his love for them, they would reject him.