Even

Demon & Angel—Forbidden Love

“This will be your first task, Taemin. Learn about your friends’ and families’ past – especially Key and Minho.”

 

There she was again.

 

She has appeared for the third time in his dreams. Taemin stood there in the darkness, staring at the female in front of him. However, this time, he was holding that same orange-red rose in his hands.

 

“Why? Why do you want me to find out about my families’ past? Just what is it are you trying to tell me?” He asked her, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion, his bright brown eyes shone with curiosity.

 

“They reveal secrets, Taemin – about the rule and why. However, Key and Minho,” she paused, as if taking a breath and going deep in her thoughts before speaking again, “They are a different matter. They are connected.”

 

This intrigued the boy as he said, “Connected? By what? By whom?”

 

“That is for your own knowledge,” then she smiled when she saw the angel pouting before she continued on, “But I will give you a hint.”

 

Taemin perked up and nodded, eager to know the hint, leaning forward as the female bent down to his ear.

 

“The hint is: The abandoned castle.

 


 

Taemin was brushing out of his hair as he sat on his seat in front of the mirror in his bed, already dressed in his white colored school uniform.

 

He is finally going back to the academy after Key forced him to stay home for a week to recover from the incident ever since a gang of Demons kidnapped him.

 

Other than having Krystal as company, he was bored out of his mind, as he remained stuck inside his bedroom – unable to go out, unable to play. He knew that Key was being protective but it was just plain ridiculous. Was he really that scared that he is now preventing Demons to kidnap him again?

 

He chuckled – he did not mind if they kidnapped him again after all; this means seeing Minho again and having him to help him escape as well as having him to help him survive. He looked at the rose in the vase next to his bed. It still glowed dimly – no signs of pain or anything of the sorts.

 

He was concerned, sometimes the rose does not give him the exact conclusion to Minho’s moods, but he pushed it aside for a moment as he resumed brushing his hair.

 

He touched his locks, feeling the length of it.

 

It has already grown past his shoulders.

 

Who am I growing it out for…him or myself?

 

Tae~!”

 

A feminine high-pitched voice chimed in and he looked to see his faerie Krystal by the door. She was holding a pouch in her hands as she flew over to the boy sitting by the mirror. “Amber—I’m sure you’ve seen her—told me to give this to you. It’s from that guy, she says.”

 

Minho? Taemin’s face broke into a grin and the pouch into his hand. “Thank you so much, Krystal. You may take your leave.”

 

“Alright, but do not be late for school. You will be in big trouble if Key found out that you are late,” Krystal snickered at him and managed to get out in time when a pillow hit the closed doors.

 

Taemin put down the pouch onto the table as he began tying up his hair into a messy ponytail, as he needs to hurry. He grabbed his bag and—wanting to meet up with Minho for this, if he gets to see him—shoved the pouch inside before slinging it over his shoulder.

 

He stood up abruptly, the chair making a screeching noise as he pushed it back forcefully as the angel ran out of his bedroom, already stretching his wings out, flying down in the hallway.

 


 

As soon as he stepped into the school campus, all students noticed him. It was not until few steps into the academy later, all of the Angels surrounded him, asking him such questions such as, “Are you alright?” and “You didn’t get hurt badly, did you?” and so on.

 

Taemin was stammering, trying hard to answer all the questions.

 

Ugh!” A voice called out from below him. The light brunet looked down and giggled to see Key inside the circle of group, his hair disheveled, as he had to struggle and push through the crowd.

 

“My goodness, this is like a mob of squealing girls who just saw their favorite idol.” He muttered under his breath and got close to Taemin, as the Angels grew closer to them, pressuring questions on Taemin. However, ever since Key came into the group, even questions and gratitude launched onto him as well.

 

“Key-ssi, I thank you for saving Taemin!”

 

“Err…you’re welcome?”

 

“Taemin, were you tainted?”

 

“What? N-No!”

 

“Key-ssi, did you familiar yourself with the Demon Kingdom?”

 

“Uh…”

 

The duo looked at each other and sighed deeply—they had not really expected this outcome at all. It only has been a week since Taemin was stuck in the castle, forbidden to go to school until now.

 

The angel regretted that decision – perhaps staying for a few more days at home was probably a good idea…

 

Then all went quiet as their eyes focused onto something – or perhaps somebody.

 

A group of two men, dressed in black, smirks on their faces. One had a white strip of bandage on his face, but it is nothing too fatal.

 

Taemin’s eyes widened slightly when he recognized the duo, but his focus was only on one of them, as they grew closer to the crowd.

 

“Oh, Minho-hyung! You’re okay!” He called out, an obvious grin on his face.

 

He ignored the Angels’ gasps at his response to the demon and whispers like, “Hyung? What is he saying?” and “I bet that demon brainwashed him, poor Taemin!”

 

Minho smiled as he stood in the inside of the mob circle with Jonghyun, who was glaring at the Angels which caused them to back away from them a bit, giving them as much space as possible.

 

He smirked and looked at Key. “‘Sup, Kitty?”

 

The said boy scoffed, “Well, ‘sup yourself, Dino.”

 

The young angel tuned out the other duo’s conversation and stared at the thin bandage on Minho’s cheek.

 

“Are you okay, Minho-hyung?” He asked in a soft voice, his eyebrows furrowing in concern.

 

“What, you’re getting worried for me? That is sweet of you. But this,” he pointed at the bandage on his cheek, “Is nothing.

 

The light brunet pouted and crossed his arms over his chest, ing out his hip as he spoke, “Hey, aren’t friends allowed to worry for their friends?”

 

Another series of gasps and whispers – they were silenced by Key’s yelling the midst of his and Jonghyun’s conversation—“Oh, as if you never heard that word in a million of years!” “Actually, they haven’t, Kitty…” “You shut your shorty mouth, Dino!”

 

The Angel students just stared at the duo with wide eyes, surprised to see that they were actually friends. Even the Demons watching from afar were surprised to see Minho interacting with the angel.

 

It was just shocking to see that Taemin, the boy whom the demons captured, was friends with one of the Demon.

 

Minho shrugged, “I guess.”

 

Then the bell rung for class and the crowd of Angels dispersed into the building as well as the Demons.

 

The dark-haired demon smiled at the angel and ruffled his hair before going inside, leaving the boy standing there, thoughts running through his mind.

 

As he turned, Taemin caught a glimpse of white on his neck. It was another patch of bandage.

 

Why was it there when he only fought back the guards?

 

He felt a hand on his arm and a voice, “C’mon, we’ll be late for class, everyone’s gone now.”

 

The angel didn’t bother answer back to that as he let himself be dragged to their side of the building, getting them into lessons (and more of ‘welcome backs’ from his classmates and teachers for Taemin).

 


 

His classes and break ended rather quickly as it was already lunchtime. He has planned to see Minho at break, but it has vanished after he discovered that the male was nowhere in sight at that time. So he figured that he must be there at lunch, since that is the only time he ever seen him (or maybe not).

 

Taemin clutched onto the pouch as he stood in the courtyard, his brown eyes scanning for the demon he wished to see. However, he was not there.

 

That is strange, I just saw him today! There is no way he could have—unless he ditched school? He pouted in displeasure, annoyed at the fact that he would even ditch the lessons they were having and do something else.

 

Great, just great – what am I going to do?

 

Then he looked at the pouch he was holding, the pouch that Krystal sent him, given from Amber whom Minho had sent.

 

He could not wait for Minho to ask about the pouch and the contents inside, so he took a seat on the grass and placed it on his lap. First, he felt the bag—it was hard, so something metallic must be inside there.

 

He opened the small, leather pouch bag and took out the object. He gasped as he took a good look at it. He smiled as he identified the gift as a pendant that seems to be in the same color as the ‘Flaming Rose’ that he received from Minho back at the kingdom.

 

He stared at it, examining the pendant. It shone brightly, and its color was like amber with a tint of orange to it. Like the rose, it glowed, but slowly as if it was shimmering magma.

 

He felt like tearing up now. He is giving him all these things and what has he given to him in return?

 

Nothing!

 

He felt bad, and since he is still alive, he really must repay him for the things he has done.

 

Yet, how can he when he cannot find the demon anywhere?

 

Where was he to begin with?

 

“I see you like my gift to you.”

 

The angel yelped, clutching the pendant as he held it close to his chest, his heart pounding in shock. He looked into the voice’s direction and saw Minho’s smirking face.

 

Aish, what is with you popping out whenever I am deep in thought? You are fortunate that I was not holding the rose,” Taemin told him with a slight glare in his eyes whilst the demon sat down next to him.

 

“Not my fault. I am assuming you did not have time to look at it this morning?”

 

The light brunet nodded and smiled, “I thank you for giving me this. First, the rose, now this – this is too much of you!”

 

Minho smiled and took the pendant into his hand while the other dug into his pocket, taking out a thin, silver chain. “I’d thought you’d need a splash of color. It must be hard wearing that boring white uniform with no other colors,” he told him as he took the chain into the pendant, “Plus, I’m just being nice.”

 

“Here, give me your wrist.”

 

Taemin stuck out to him and let him to do the work as the demon put it on for him, locking them. He yanked gently on them, making sure they were firm before he pulled away.

 

(A/N: This pendant is actually for a necklace, but imagining him wearing it and he is in a fight… Ooh, I do not want it to hit his face, goodness no. Therefore, I decided to put it into a bracelet, for safety reasons – for Taemin, lol. Oh, and the picture is not mine, it has belongs to the wonderful owner who actually made the pendant!)

 

“Wah…” His eyes sparkled as he watched the pendant dangle from his wrist. “It’s beautiful, thank you so much Minho-hyung!” He squealed, causing the demon to chuckle.

 

However, he was not expecting him to jump and hug him tightly.

 

He was stunned and was unable to do or say anything as he felt the warmth of the angel hugging him. His heart pounded and his cheeks were faint red.

 

What…? He thought as he wrapped his arms around his waist, hugging him also. What is this feeling…?

 

Taemin pulled away slightly, only to see his face so close to his; their noses were almost touching and his face was practically trapped by his horns (kind of) as well as their bangs tousled together, different colored strands intertwined as one.

 

His cheeks burned red as he stared into those dark chocolate orbs, unable to look away. The duo was glad that they were the only one in the courtyard, or people would misunderstand the situation – especially if it is about their positions…

 

Taemin was practically straddling him and sitting on Minho’s thighs. (Since after all, he did jump on him.)

 

They stayed like that, unmoving and too stunned to make a single move. The younger could feel their breath masking together, warm against his lips.

 

His hand went down to Minho’s neck, unconsciously touching the part that had a patch of bandage, in which he tensed up from the contact.

 

They shuddered at the cold breeze that brushed onto their necks, goose bumps already standing just to keep their body temperature at the right degree.

 

“Taemin…” The angel gulped silently as he watched the demon’s lips moved oh as slowly as he said his name. Why does his name sound so bittersweet? He did not know why, but he wanted to hear more.

 

“M-Minho…” Minho’s breath hitched when he heard the angel sitting on him speak out his name, his voice laced with gentleness and…what? What was it? What was it that drawn him closer to this being?—this amazingly beautiful creature?

 

Tick, tock, tick, tock—

 

Time was ticking away, only seconds has passed but to them, it felt like hours.

 

Tick, tock, tick, tock—

 

Neither of them made a sound as they stared into each other’s eyes, their hearts beating as one.

 

Tick, tock, tick, tock—

 

Neither of them wanted to let go.

 

Finally, Minho cleared his throat and uttered, “Uh, thanks for the, uh, hug, Taemin, so will you get off of me?”

 

“Huh? Oh! I’m sorry!” Taemin snapped out of the trance and quickly got off him. “Sorry, I was…happy and got caught in the moment.”

 

“…I can see that.”

 

They sat there still on the grass, looking at anything but each other. They could hear the tick-tock-ticking of the bell clock tower in the courtyard.

 

Tick, tock, tick, tock—

 

Even that wasn’t helping with the awkward silence.

 

Tick, tock, tick—

 

“You know, I do mean it.” The angel told him honestly, not looking at him directly. “I really thank you for giving this sweet gift to me.”

 

Minho smiled and looked up at the blue sky that was barely full of white, fluffy marshmallow clouds.

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

It was then, when the clock struck and the bell rung for their next class. The duo stood up and smoothed their uniforms.

 

“Well, Taemin, it has been nice being with you.”

 

The light brunet nodded, “I can say the same for you too.” He paused for a moment before he asked, “What happened to your neck?”

 

He could see that he tensed up before he shooed away the subject, “It’s nothing. It’s just a little scratch.”

 

Well, if it was just a little scratch then it do not need to be bandaged up…does it? He wanted to say but kept his mouth shut and decided to ask him another time.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow, I guess?”

 

“What~ I’m not coming over?” He pouted, sad that he can no longer go over to the Demon Kingdom anymore – especially for training.

 

“Well, not now. They are still…recovering if you know what I mean…” Minho said with a small smile on his face.

 

Ah, right. He did take care of them…along with Jonghyun. They need some time away from me, I guess…

 

He turned to leave, but Taemin stopped him with a question: “Are we still friends?”

 

He did not know why, but his snow-white heart clenched at the term.

 

Minho nodded, taking a deep breath to clear the painful contracting of his black, black heart before turning to Taemin with a smile. “Of course, we are.”

 

“Oh, okay…”

 

He turned again and only took a few steps forward until he heard him say, “Minho-hyung?”

 

“Yes—” He was surprised to see Taemin holding his arm and warmth on his cheek.

 

His eyes widen as he let this process into his mind, his cheeks going pink as he then came to realization.

 

Taemin was giving him a kiss on the cheek, a goddamn kiss on the cheek.

 

Yeah, it is only the cheek; sure, it’s not a big deal – so why was his heart pounding fast as if it’s a big deal?

 

The young angel pulled away, grinning with his reddened cheeks as he chimed; “Now we’re even.”

 

Even? What the was that supposed to—he cut himself out of his thoughts as he realized that he gave him a kiss on the forehead that day. He chuckled at the image. Ah, so that’s what he’s talking about…

 

“Not really. It was on the forehead. Not on the cheek.”

 

“Well, if you weren’t so freaking tall, I could have made it even.”

 

“Are you jealous of my height?”

 

Tsk, as if!”

 

They bickered as they exited the courtyard, but as they were about to separate ways, they smiled and waved to each other before leaving and going on their own way.

 

Little did they know, that both of them wanted to close the distance between them that grew further and further away.