Unstable

Demon & Angel—Forbidden Love

The dark-haired female could only stand there in shock as she watches him do such a thing, hearing the quiet clip that went in one go, few strands of hair flying away with the wind but the rest were in the angel’s hands.

 

“You…” She muttered under her breath, unable to contain the shock that was visible in her voice.

 

The long hair that used to be his was no longer there. Now, it is just a short messy hair, each cut of the ends of his hair were uneven, even though he had it done in one swift slash.

 

Taemin looked at the hair in which he had removed, still clutched in his grasp. The softness was dying, and the color was losing its glow. However, his scent remained. His sweet vanilla scent remained in the dead strands of that he called, “his hair”.

 

Yet, they were not his hair. Yes, they were, but not anymore. Whatever locks he has left, is his. This short haircut is now his.

 

Goodbye,” Taemin mumbled to himself as he loosened the grip on them, feeling the locks fall away from his fingers, piling onto the green grass below. It made him sad that he had to do this, but it was better safe than sorry.

 

Taemin then smiled warmly to himself as he stared at the mass of hair. “I will see you again one day,” he told the pile as he averted his eyes elsewhere, his eyes on the green patch of grass.

 

He felt his heart lifting up from the heavy, unknown burden that he had fathomed all these years and he spent his life denying it—only today has he realized that it was stupid of him to keep wishing for something that cannot come true.

 

He was selfish.

 

He wanted Taecyeon to ditch the girl he loved and love him back. He wanted to live happily ever after with him. He wanted him to be his only. He was so lost into his own world that he did not even bother think of coming back down to reality. He was so engrossed with growing his hair out even longer, so perhaps maybe, whenever he would see him around in town, he will be able to enchant him into a loving dream with him. Even when Taecyeon rejected him, even when he had suffered his first heartbreak, even when he knew he would never love him the same way Taemin does for him, he wanted him to be his.

 

He dropped the dagger, the metal object falling onto the muddy ground, rolling off a bit before it halted to a stop.

 

It was over.

 

The pain that he had bared for so long in his heart was finally gone. He had learnt to accept the past and his fate and just be genuinely happy for his hyung.

 

He really was selfish.

 

Likewise, he is sorry for that.

 

For now on, I will support you, hyung…

 

The now shorthaired male looked up at the still shocked female who just stood there, as if rooted to the ground.

 

They both stood there like that in the courtyard, and there would have been silence if it were not for the whistling of the soft wind and the tick-tock-ticking of the bell clock tower.

 

“Yuri,” he finally spoke as if he had not said a word for decades in the silence, “Let’s stop this. I do not know where Minho-hyung is either. I don’t want to fight over such an issue.”

 

The Demon gritted her teeth, her fists shaking and her hair swaying as it was furious, bubbling magma.

 

“I don’t care. The last thing I want when I get Minho-oppa back is you out of his life!

 

The angel just stood there as he watched her summon her staff. Then he sighed and pulled out his dual daggers from his boots before moving away quickly when she struck a lightning bolt at him, tumbling out of the way.

 

“Yuri, we don’t need to do this!” He yelled, dodging every strike she made at him—even though his injured foot hurts. He tried to dodge that one bolt coming for him, but he misplaced his balance, accidentally putting too much pressure on his injured foot that his movement ended up clumsy. As a result, the bolt tore off his shirtsleeve, and scratched his flesh.

 

Taemin hissed, feeling the pain engulfing his entire arm. He looked to see it bleeding, his white sleeve already soaking red.

 

God,” he cursed to himself. He knew he should not curse, but how can he not in a situation like this?

 

This is why Key should be there with him.

 

“Why…why does it have to be you? Why is it you that Minho-oppa give his full attention on? I am going to be his lover while you are just a lowly scum! I will be the one who is indebted to him!” Yuri shrieked as she then started to build up a large fire orb from her staff.

 

Mother in Heaven, is she trying to destroy the academy? Then he was distracted one thought as he crossed his arm, holding both his daggers as he put his clenched fist under his chin and his elbow upon his other arm as he thought.

 

But then, what about my classes? BoA-sunbaenim would be so mad with me when she finds out that I have skipped class…

 

Taemin gasped, his hands flying up to his mouth.

 

Omo! This is my first time skipping classes! I mean, it is the third time ditching school, yes, but skipping classes, why I had never! What should I do?

 

(A/N: …At a time like this, you think of that? Really?)

 

It was not then when he saw a source of orange-yellow light coming just before him.

 

Yuri smirked when her power had finally given him the taste of his own medicine as she watched it collide into the angel. However, her smirk turned into a frown, which then turned into a surprised expression when she saw what happened.

 

Taemin dispersed the attack by spinning his scythe, the smoke now up in his face. He coughed when he accidentally breathed it in, wheezing and hacking as he gripped onto his scythe.

 

He was so glad that he was able to change his weapons at the right moment – he would be toast if he did not.

 

“You…you stopped my attack! Your weapon—”

 

“Minho taught me.”

 

This surprised the female as she could only stare at him in shock, taking notice of the purity in his eyes as he spoke, “He trained me. Jonghyun-hyung trained me as well.”

 

“J-Jonghyun?”

 

This was impossible! Two of the most powerful and feared Demons trained him.

 

The light brunet fondled with the end of his short locks as he said, “I really do not want to fight you! Why can’t we stop this?”

 

The latter faltered for a bit before regaining her posture, her icy glare burning into the white soul of Taemin. “I will never stop until I get rid of you! Then, Minho-oppa will be mine, and the kingdom will be mine as well!” She ended with a wicked giggle, one that Taemin truly despised.

 

Heol! She did not just want Minho—she wants to claim him so she can take over the kingdom and his riches hers! Wow, Key is so right on this girl—she is crazy.

 

“You’ll never get him if you’re this heartless!” Taemin yelled and made his stance, holding his scythe both handed as he was going to try to slash her.

 

Yuri smirked as she readied her staff. “Try me! I will make him mine and mine only! I will get him!”

 

“Shut up!” Taemin growled as his feet pushed themselves off the ground, flying towards her. “I will cut you, you !”

 

He wanted to slash that little lovesick psycho head of hers. The latter was doing the same, charging up her attack.

 

He was so close, until he felt an arm wrapped around his waist, pausing his action, as someone held the boy mid-air with his feet dangling off the ground.

 

“Huh?” He shrieked out, shocked by the sudden action. This arm felt all too familiar.

 

Large, muscular arms, soft skin. The grip on him was strong, yet gentle at the same time.

 

It… It cannot be… could it be…? He slowly looked up, his chocolate brown eyes hopeful and expecting to see that person whom he knew he was.

 

“M-Minho-hyung?”

 

The dark-haired male looked down at the angel, with those same soft eyes that he longed to see. Those same, dark brown irises that were full of emotion—they were back.

 

No, he was back.

 

However, he seemed off.

 

Though he is there, it is as he is… not himself.

 

This aura… it is unstable.

 

“Minho-hyung, you’re back!” The young angel cried in happiness as he put him down safely to the ground, his feet now touching the soft grasses. Taemin jumped up to hug him, the latter chuckling as he wrapped his arms around his waist, whilst the angel’s arms went around his neck, his grip on his scythe tight.

 

He missed him, so much. He has been worried sick for where he has been.

 

Minho spun him around, causing the angel to laugh before he put him down to the earth again, smiling at his sparkling eyes.

 

He grinned at him and ruffled his hair, “Sorry to have kept you waiting, Tae,” he glanced at the stunned Yuri behind him before his eyes grew cold as he looked back at the angel and said, “But let me finish this off for you.”

 

Surprised at his words, he began to protest, “What? Minho-hyung! She started the fight with me! I should be the one finishing it off!” He clenched onto his scythe.

 

“Tae—”

 

“You can’t just waltz in the middle of it and tell me that you’re going to finish it off!”

 

“Taemi—”

 

“Minho-hyung, it’s not fair, it’s just not—!

 

Be quiet.

 

All of the sudden, his mouth clamped shut. His eyes widened at the action and he was unable to speak. He was unable to move his lips, unable to say anything.

 

Don’t move.

 

Now his body buckled underneath him and he fell on his knees, sitting down on his legs. Why is he just obediently following his words? His scythe fell beside him, and before it hit the ground, it transformed back into its original form, into his dual daggers.

 

What is this? I… I cannot move my body!

 

“I’m sorry Taemin, but it is best of you stay out of this. You can’t get caught in what I’m going to do.”

 

…Did he just say…‘sorry’?

 

Just… just what is he going to do?

 

Whatever it is, he braced himself for it. He hoped it was not going to be too bad.

 

Yuri’s eyes brightened up when she saw Minho walking towards, blind to see the danger in his eyes. This made Taemin uneasy, now that the strange aura of his had worsened.

 

“Minho-oppa, you’re here! I knew you would—”

 

A sickening slap interrupted her as she screamed at the impact, collapsing to the ground. Taemin’s eyes widened at the action. Minho just stared down darkly at the female, his eyes showing hint of disappointment.

 

The latter only gasped in pain and held her reddened cheek, tears threatening to come out as she looked to the side for a moment before slowly looking back at the male.

 

“M-Minho-oppa?” She whimpered, now that she had seen the disappointment in his eyes.

 

Taemin could see the flames underneath his feet and his shoulder bones poking out from his shirt.

 

Yuri choked when he caught her by the jaw, his large hand strangling her.

 

“…I am yours?” He hissed, his eyes glowing red. “You y little I know just what you are after. And sadly, you’re not getting it,” he told her before he threw her on the ground.

 

The light brunet was beginning to get scared, his body trembling as he struggled to break free from Minho’s spell. Now he knows what ‘twice the fear’ means.

 

It was his anger.

 

He could see his horns lit up in flames and there is no doubt that his eyes were in the same color as the rose that he had in his bedroom.

 

“O-Oppa!” She cried out, crawling away from him but he grew closer, his footsteps burning the grass underneath, changing the greenly color to scorching black.

 

He crouched down and leaned in, his gaze intense as he stared at her emotionlessly. Then he said, “Why do you have the pendant around your neck?”

 

What? Taemin eyed his wrist and surely enough, the pendant was not there! He was only wearing the silver chain. Wha—how did she get it off me?

 

Never mind that – seeing Minho in his angry was beginning to freak him out and he must stop him before everything get out of control.

 

Minho eyed the pendant that lay rested on her chest before ripping it off, startling the female. “I believe this is not yours. I’ll take it back, thank you very much.” He said with a cold smile before tucking it away into his back pocket.

 

Yuri bit her tongue when she could feel the heat emerging from his sword in which he had quickly summoned and held it up to .

 

Crap.

 

Taemin struggled against the invisible force that kept holding him down, his fingers twitching and his jaw clenching. No way was he to witness a murder and blood spilling – just seeing his anger was more than enough.

 

“Talking to Taemin like that is unladylike—so is sleeping around with every other Demon.” The flaming sword grew nearer.

 

No, Minho-hyung, please! It is not like you! I know what Yuri did was wrong, but this is brutal!

 

“You deserve a punishment, Yuri. Would you like that?” He asked, only receiving a frantic shake of the female’s head.

 

He smirked, “Too bad.”

 

No! Nononono, please! Minho-hyung, do not do this! Taemin struggled, using all of his strength, feeling his power weakening on him. His eyes widened when he saw the sword up in the air.

 

Finally, he broke the spell that was causing him to be unable to speak and move and screamed out:

 

NO!

 

A gunshot rang out through the academy, possibly scaring off a few birds from the distance.

 

Both Yuri and Taemin stood frozen in shock, but the female Demon had the most shock as blood splattered all over her face.

 

Minho, on the other hand, was stunned, his eyes regaining its original color, as they were wide in shock.

 

A large shadow was hovering over the young angel.

 

Taemin, who freed himself from the force, raised his head up to see just who shot him.

 

It was Jonghyun indeed.

 

His gaze was stern and slightly unreadable as he held one gun that was by his side while the next hand held up the other gun, proof to show that he really did press the trigger.

 

He nodded at Yuri and said, “Get the out of here. I will make you regret it if this get out to anybody. Now shoo!” He demanded, causing the girl to squeak and scramble, her heels stumbling over her movements as she ran.

 

He pulled himself of his shock as he was then worried for his friend. He stood up hastily, his eyes on the Demon.

 

“Minho,” he cried out and was about to run over to his aide but he was held back by the arm by the blonde demon. He struggled out of his grasp, but it was no use.

 

“I advise you not to step any closer, Taemin. Not now, at the least – let us just wait for a few minutes. In the state he was in, it’ll need time for him to cool down.” Jonghyun told him with a stern voice.

 

The brunet looked at the latter before looking back at Minho who was holding his now injured shoulder. He could see his shoulders quivering each time he took a breath. His horns were no longer in flames and his posture seemed relaxed.

 

However, the aura remained.

 

“Minho,” he whispered out to him as he watched him calm down, looking down at his trembling hands. He pressed it against his shoulder, his blood coating his hand as he began to mumble incoherently to himself.

 

“What have I done?”

 

Taemin bit his lower lip, seeing him wallow in guilt as he cowered, his cries audible while he held himself as if securing his body and forcing himself down to prevent attacking someone again.

 

Then the tall demon clutched his head, groaning in pain. Taemin could not stand it. He forced his arm out of Jonghyun’s grasp and ran over to him.

 

“Minho-hyung, are you—” He trailed off after seeing how disarranged he looked. His face scrunched up in pain, gasping as if trying to ignore the burns in his shoulder. While the other was gripping at his hair as if he wants to tear it off, one was covering his neck.

 

He then remembered the white patch that sent him into a spiral of questions, and now today was the time to uncover the truth.

 

Taemin gripped his wrist and gently pulled it away from his neck, only letting it rest on his waist. He could feel his fingers gripping his thin hips, and it hurts a bit, but he did not care. He focused on the peeling bandage that covered his flesh. Hesitantly, he peeled it off slowly, unveiling the wound. With it fully off, he gasped at the sight.

 

They were two small puncture marks there, and he could see that he engraved deep scratch marks on his neck. It looked self-inflicted as if Minho had been scratching at them so furiously. They even scarred and bled.

 

The angel grimaced at the image of how he had done it. He did not want to know anymore—he did not want to know just how much he had suffered.

 

Then he realized the cause of this all: the Duke. He must have done this. He took out every little blood out of him, and left him with so little that it drove him insane. This must have been his punishment for turning against his clan.

 

This is my entire fault… if they did not kidnap me that day; he would not be like this!

 

Then he began to have second thoughts.

 

Yet if they did not do such a thing… I would have never met such a sweet Demon like him…

 

Taemin placed his hand on his neck, gently rubbing the wound with his thumb. He felt him relax underneath his touch, as if they were soothing.

 

Clink!

 

He pulled his hand back a bit as he heard the faint sound of crackling. His hand felt…warm all of a sudden. He pulled his hand back, away from his skin and was surprised to see that the wound were gone.

 

No scar, no mark, no anything.

 

He stared at his hand and saw it glowing in a light green flame.

 

His second power has awakened. The crack in the seal is growing.

 

It is still not enough.

 

“What…?” He mumbled to himself, unable to comprehend as the green glow faded away.

 

He just gained his second power.

 

Yet, how?

 

He looked back at the demon whose eyes closed softly as he leaned his head on his shoulder, his arms around his waist as he held him close as if he was a comfort pillow.

 

I see… it was the thought of wanting to erase his suffering that woke it up…

 

“Taemin,” a voice snapped him out of his thoughts. He looked up to see Jonghyun staring down at the duo with worried eyes.

 

“…I see. I will have to take him away. Minho cannot survive very long if he does not have sufficient blood.” He told him as then he took his arm around his shoulder, hoisting the male upright so he can stand. Taemin stood up as well.

 

“What do you mean?” He asked, his eyebrows furrowing at the newfound information.

 

The latter sighed and explained, “Minho can live a long while even without blood, but his Father must have put in such kind of curse that makes him unstable and lust for blood. I don’t know what the symptoms are—maybe it’s him being unstable, like what you have seen him in—but I do know that he cannot get blood from Demons.”

 

The shorthaired male’s eyes widened at this. “That means…”

 

“Yes, he’ll have to hunt down an Angel and drink the blood of them.”

 

Taemin bit his bottom lip at this – he knew just how much Minho hated bringing suffering to anyone and he had totally lost control with himself on Yuri. The lack of blood was seriously getting to him.

 

“But,” he paused for a moment, shifting his standing position, “What if he doesn’t want to feed on an Angel?”

 

“Then he’ll suffer,” he told him simply. “And perhaps, maybe die.”

 

He will die?

 

His heart just skipped two beats, gasping at the harsh contradiction in his chest.

 

He will die? He mentally shook his head in denial. No, I will…I will just pretend I did not hear that. You did not hear him say that, Taemin, you did not hear a single word!

 

“Fool yourself,” Jonghyun said, surprising the male before continuing, “But it’s true.”

 

Silence droned on between the trio and the only thing that he heard was the ticking of the clock tower and the bell ringing.

 

“Well, I’ll give him something to reduce the pain and keep him sane, but it won’t last for long.” He assured him before nodding at the boy’s arm that was injured, “Please do something about that arm—I think it is best for you if you left school early. I will confront Key if he ever asked.

 

“And also,” he paused, examining the angel before smiling, “Short hair seems to suit you. What made you do it?”

 

Taemin smiled as he pinched his short hair before shrugging, “Reasons,” he simply said as he covered his wounded arm, his palm blocking the view of the injury.

 

The Devil-Demon chuckled before bidding him adieu and left with Minho on his back. The angel just waved at the duo before sighing and slowly removing his hand from his arm.

 

Surely enough, the wound was not there.

 

Minho, I cannot let you die… He stared at his hand, remembering the touch of his soft skin before he clenched his fingers softly into a fist.

 

“I’d rather carry a heavy burden than to let you die. I rather carry the pain than to lose the person who had taken care of me.” He muttered himself before opening his wings and flying out of the academy, following Jonghyun’s advice of ditching school.

 

I rather die than to live knowing that you are not there with me.