Pieces

Demon & Angel—Forbidden Love

“So, Minho-hyung, huh?”

 

Taemin looked to his side and saw Key in the school library.

 

“Oh, well, yeah. I suppose. He’s the one who took care of me.”

 

Now he knew who was helping the young angel survive. He wondered why Jonghyun did not say his name. Perhaps he wanted it to be a surprise.

 

Well, that is not a surprise anymore, is it?

 

“I can’t believe that…that Frog is being so nice to you.”

 

Taemin snickered at his words. Well, it is true; Minho does seems to look like a frog every time he looked at him.

 

“I’m glad that he took care of you, but he’s still a Demon, Minnie. He could be using you. That bracelet of yours,” He pointed at the pendant that dangled off his wrist as the angel held the stacks of books in his arms. “It could be some kind of toy so he could manipulate you.”

 

Taemin turned his back on him with a sigh, “Minho-hyung told me all about him and things that I should be keeping a secret. He is not really like the others, you know. If he didn’t care about me, I wouldn’t be here.”

 

He walked off and went to look for the aisles so he can put the books in the correct bookshelves – the perks of being a helper to re-stack all the books after school; how could he when this place is so big!?

 

He could hear Key’s footsteps behind as he followed the brunet. “There’s more than you could see with your eyes, Minnie! He could be lying for ’s sake and you did not even know it! I am trying to make sure that you are not being tricked, Tae! I am afraid that you might as well be them. All I want is for your safety and to make sure that happens, I would consider you to stay away from Minho for a—”

 

Crash!

 

The Guardian Angel was startled at the sudden noise as the books collapsed to the ground, falling out of the brunet’s arms.

 

He did not need to go and see his face—he knew that he was upset.

 

“Taemin—”

 

“Leave.”

 

“Taemin, I’m sorry, I didn’t—”

 

“I said, leave, goddamnit!” He screeched, looking at his best friend with angry eyes. This startled the male. He knew he was weak within anger, but seeing him angry was shocking.

 

Taemin did not care anymore. He did not care if he has received questioning looks from the students around them. He did not care if he was in a library and he is supposed to be quiet. He just did not care.

 

Was he accusing Minho of lying and manipulation?

 

Did he tell him about staying away from him?

 

He did not just say that he have to stay away from his only Demon friend. Please tell me, in the love of all things holy, he did not.

 

Yet he did.

 

Moreover, that is what ticks him off the most.

 

Key’s wide eyes that were full of shock met with Taemin’s stern, angry ones.

 

His chocolate brown orbs did not look so warm and bright anymore; in fact, they looked like a storm was taking over.

 

“How could you, Kibum.” His voice was cold—very much unlike the happy, bright one. This was a different persona of Taemin.

 

He never expected him to say his actual name, the letters playing off his tongue like vile rat’s poison.

 

“How could you accuse Minho-hyung of doing such a foolish thing? He risked his life making the plan for me to escape; he risked his life to fight against his own clan. How could you do that? How could you say that?” His fingers twitched on the side of his legs, sparks tickling his flesh.

 

The light haired male bit his bottom lip. Never had he seen the light brunet so agitated—not ever since the day Taecyeon rejected him.

 

“Taeminnie—”

 

Taemin just shook his head and turned his back on him.

 

“No. Just…” He let out a deep sigh, trying to get rid of the aching thuds that pounded inside his chest. “Just…just leave. Please. I’m tired with this nonsense.”

 

He did not bother turn around to know that Key has left, his footsteps fading away, as the distance between the two angels grew further and further.

 

He crouched down to pick up the fallen books that he had dropped so abruptly, his side bangs blocking his profile view from anybody’s sight.

 

His throat felt tight and he wanted to breathe. He exhaled and inhaled to release the pressure of the large lump that somewhat were stuck in his throat, but it would not go away.

 

What Key said just hit him, so damn hard.

 

Why? Why did he say all of that? He does not know him.

 

He chuckled at his thoughts. He does not know him either, but at least he is trying.

 

However, the thought of Minho using him to make him turn against his own clan—he would never do that.

 

Key was not there when he saw Minho’s vulnerable side.

 

Key was not there when he had to put up with taking care of him.

 

Key was not there, when the rose started crying in flame, signifying Minho’s emotions.

 

Key was not there in any of the moments.

 

Yet, it hurts.

 

Minho gave him everything to make him feel happy before his escape from his death—food, comfort, warmth, even a damn mattress and balloons and flowers. He made him a gorgeous rose, and he gave him a bracelet with a beautiful looking pendant.

 

He helped him escape, and… and he gave him a kiss on the forehead. That one is not something any Demons could do to an escaping Angel.

 

He sighed sadly, as he picked up the last book and walked over to the aisle where he needs to put away the books. He began putting them away, his thoughts occupied with so many things.

 

Key tells him to stay away from Minho, but why say that when he seems to be getting oddly well with Jonghyun? That does not make any sense.

 

He blinked rapidly to force his tears back. Minho could not. He could hear his own voice breaking. He just could not.

 

There is just no way Minho could be lying to him and manipulating him.

 

…Why is he thinking this way? He never thought he would be so perplexed about this.

 

Just what is wrong with him? Taemin shook his head in disbelief to think that he is thinking so strongly for Minho.

 

Why? Just… just what is this feeling?

 

As he struggled with his feelings inside, he picked up the book and tried to put it onto the high section, where he could see the gap.

 

Sadly, for him, it was too high, and he was too short.

 

He would use his wings, but when he is in the academy’s library, they sealed off their uses of wings and powers. To add to this, there were no ladders were in sight.

 

Well, this is just great, Taemin thought with a grumble as he continued to reach upward, thinking that maybe he could get it in if he tried.

 

Then, someone took the book from his hand and put it back into its place for him instead. Taemin looked to see that it was Minho.

 

“M-Minho?”

 

The dark-haired demon looked at him with a gentle smile on his face before speaking out, “Were you crying?”

 

Huh? Taemin reached to touch his own face and felt the stained tears on his cheeks. Oh no… I have not realized I was crying in the process…

 

The male smiled and said, “Come on. I will help you finish up your job and we can get some milk from the lunchroom if it will make you feel better.”

 

His eyes sparkled with delight. “Strawberry flavored?”

 

Minho nodded with a grin, “Strawberry flavored.”

 


 

He knew he should be going home, but he could not leave Taemin inside the academy, especially since he has to finish his job of putting away all of those books.

 

That is insane, how can one little angel, put away millions of books in one, big- library!

 

“Hey Kitty!” A voice shouted out to him. He turned around and saw that the voice came from Jonghyun.

 

“Jonghyun? What are you still doing here?” He asked.

 

He shrugged, “Detention. Got caught not listening to the teacher and got caught ing some girl.”

 

The blonde-haired person scrunched up his face in disgust and tsk’ed. “Serve you right for doing such a lewd thing.”

 

The light haired male smirked before he said, “You seems to be in a bad mood. Got in a fight or something?”

 

He sighed, and looked at Jonghyun with sad eyes. “Actually…yes… It’s with Taemin.”

 

Something tells him that the fight between him and Taemin was upsetting. Jonghyun gave him a sincere smile and nodded his head in the direction to the courtyard.

 

“How about we will talk over there where it’s quieter? I’m all ears.”

 


 

“So, would you mind telling me why you were crying?” Minho asked as they sat under a large tree in the academy grounds, the sky hazy in its orange-red hues as they drank their strawberry milks.

 

“…Key-umma was accusing you for using me.”

 

The demon clicked his tongue and said, “That’s all? Taemin, he has every right to accuse me. Even if we’re friends, of course one would start getting suspicious of why a Demon is with an Angel.”

 

“But I don’t like how he labeled you! He thinks he knows you when he truly doesn’t and it hurts to hear him say out of his own mouth!” Taemin said in disapproval as his voice rose just a bit.

 

All went silent as Taemin rested his bottle onto his lap, the milk halfway gone as the straw clinked inside the glass bottle.

 

“…I know you would never do that…right?”

 

Minho leaned against the bark of the tree and shook his head.

 

“No. I couldn’t for the life of me.”

 


 

“I just wanted to make him see that not all Demons can be like that! He could have been brainwashed and I did not even know it!” Key exclaimed.

 

“Key,” Jonghyun said to him, his eyes warm and gentle as he stared at the angel, “Minho isn’t like that. In fact, ever since he came into the kingdom, even when young, he never had a thought of doing such a thing like that.”

 

“But—”

 

“But nothing, Kitty. I know him like the back of my hand. We are best friends. He told me secrets nobody has known. He showed me sides that nobody would have thought that he have. He’s anything but.”

 

Key stared down at his hands on his lap. The demon next to him held them comfortingly. He looked at Jonghyun who was staring back at him with a smile.

 

“I know, Key, it’s understandable for you to be suspicious and accuse him. It is rare to see an Angel and a Demon being together as friends.

 

“But trust me; Minho-ah isn’t that type of person. In fact, whenever he thinks of those people, it makes him want to hate them more. Ever since Taemin appeared, I had never seen him so relaxed and loosened up. He is more comfortable around him than he was to me. He can finally act like himself for once.”

 

The boy listened to his words, processing all the information. Now he felt bad. He never thought the Frog was like that type of person.

 

Even so, he must be cautious around him.

 

“I still don’t trust him.”

 

“And why is that?”

 

“…Something about him feels off. He has given me that impression like…” He paused for a while before he continued, “Like I have seen him before.

 


 

Taemin looked at Minho who was rubbing the patch on his neck.

 

“Simple as that, I never really thought of harming anybody since I was young.”

 

He let out a sigh, “And I never slept with anybody. Demons are supposed to lust for . Except me. I feel anything but lust. I must be some kind of freak.”

 

Taemin giggled as he finished off his strawberry milk. “Aish, Minho-hyung, don’t say that! Try having your powers not wakened for years. That’s like saying I’m a freak too!”

 

They both laughed, and smiled as they calmed down.

 

“Yes, but…” He played with the empty glass bottle in his hand, immersed into playing with the item. “I have no other memory other than being in the kingdom. I do not know who my mother is.

 

“It hurts to see that I can’t remember anything from my past.”

 

He cannot remember his past…

 

Key said the same thing…

 

“Oh, that’s a shame… It must have been hard for you, Minho-hyung,” he told him with a sad smile.

 

Then his eyebrows furrowed when Minho’s breath hitched and rubbed his neck.

 

“Are you sure you don’t want to tell me what happened to your neck? You are looking a bit pale too… Have you been eating?” He was beginning to get concerned. Perhaps he was hurt when he was fending them during his escape. He had hoped he was eating well too because he seems to look paler than before, his slightly tan skin no longer visible.

 

Minho shook his head, “I’m fine,” he reassured him with a smile, “It’s just a bruise I got from the fight, not a big deal. However, I have been eating well! I swear!” He said with a grin, but Taemin did not buy it. Minho is not fine with the way he is acting, but he played along for his sake.

 

Better luck next time, he would ask him…this time with more force.

 

“Hey, Taemin, I have something to tell you,” Minho said, a thought running in his head.

 

“Sure, hyung, what is it?”

 

He took a deep breath before looking at the young angel, “You know that ‘Key-umma’ of yours?”

 

Taemin nodded and said, “Yes, what about him?”

 

The demon looked away and furrowed his eyebrows in confusion as he said, “He felt so familiar.” He paused for a while before looking at the light brunet. “Like I’ve known him before.