Insecure

Not Anymore

“…I can’t believe we’re actually going to have an evening to ourselves tomorrow”

“I know, it feels like it’s been forever”

Taeyeon settles into bed, pressing the phone to her ear. “What would you like to do? We can do anything you like”

Sunny yawns. “Doesn’t matter, as long as we’re together”

Taeyeon chews her lip. “I’ll plan something for us”

“Ok”

“See you tomorrow, then”

“Sweet dreams”

...

...

“You’re sure you don’t want to know the es”

“I’m very sure”

The doctor rolls the ultrasound wand over Sunny’s belly one last time and then turns the machines off. Sunny immediately misses the sound of their heartbeats.

“They’re developing very nicely; all is well”

Sunny exhales a happy breath and wipes her belly with a paper towel. She waits for help to get up, when it dawns on her that she has the use of both her upper limbs now, and so she pushes up off the table, her pasty wrist a bit wobbly as she does.

“Thank you, doctor”

“You’re very welcome, Sunny. Here’s your printout”

Sunny takes it and stares at the grainy image. Tears come to her eyes when she sees how much they’ve grown; the A and B showing their positions, yet no longer needed to point them out.

“I’m getting nervous” she quietly admits, and wishes that Taeyeon was with her.

“You’ll do just fine. Have you looked into birthing classes?”

“A bit. I know there are classes that focus on mothers expecting multiples”

The doctor nods as he washes his hands. “Have my nurse give you a list of local classes on your way out”

“Ok. And thanks again”

...

...

Taeyeon uses the key Sunny gave her to unlock the door. She knocks gently as she pushes it open, listening for a response. Hears the shower going, so she lets herself in all the way. She calls out to Sunny to let her know she’s there, and this time gets a response.

“I’m nearly finished!”

“Take your time!” Taeyeon calls back, and wanders around the room. She sees a drawing on the table and picks it up. It makes her laugh, when included in Jamie’s ‘family portrut’ as he labeled it, what she deduces to be Buzz Lightyear stands atop Bella’s head.

“Sorry…”

Taeyeon turns, startled, and finds a towel-wrapped Sunny peeking around the corner.

“I’ll only be a tick. Where are we going?”

“Huh?”

“You said you would make plans”

“Oh. Right. Just a restaurant”

“Do I need to dress-up?”

“You might” Taeyeon answers, cocking an eyebrow.

Sunny smiles that smile that makes Taeyeon weak in the knees. “Good…because I bought myself a present today. Be right out”

...

...

“You look lovely” Sunny huskily says into Taeyeon’s ear, when she comes back dressed and ready to go.

Taeyeon puts Jamie’s drawing down and takes Sunny in her arms, saying hello and I missed you and I’ve been waiting all day for this in a long deep kiss. When they pull back, Sunny keeps her hands around Taeyeon’s neck, playing with the hair at the nape of her neck the way she likes to.

“Wait a…” Taeyeon cuts herself off, pulling Sunny’s hands from her neck, looking surprised and confused at Sunny’s two arms. She squints playfully at Sunny and says, “There’s something different about you…”

Sunny kisses her again, smiling against Taeyeon’s lips. “I wanted it to be a surprise”

“Well done. How does it feel?” Taeyeon asks, caressing the wrist she didn’t know she missed.

“Fine; a bit tender though. And I’m still trying to do everything with one hand”

Taeyeon kisses the inside of her wrist. “Might take some getting used to”

Sunny nods. And it’s then Taeyeon notices that her chest is bare from her cleavage up, so she steps back to have a better look. Her eyes give her away.

“Like it?”

“Are you sure this was a present for you, and not for me? I didn’t know they made maternity dresses this…y”

“I’m hardly y, all swollen and frumpy”

Taeyeon cups Sunny’s cheeks. “You’re beautiful, and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise”

...

...

“I feel like such a grown-up”

Taeyeon smiles and sits opposite Sunny at the intimate table she reserved for them. “Enjoy it while you can; your life is about to change. Trust me; I know what twins can do to a person”

Sunny smiles weakly and sips her water.

“What do you feel like having?” Taeyeon opens her menu and scans it.

Sunny keeps the weak smile on her face and shrugs a shoulder. “I’m not particularly hungry”

Taeyeon looks up from the menu. “You, not hungry…?”

“I’m not a bloody elephant”

Taeyeon’s eyebrows slowly rise. “You’re cranky, my dear; did you miss your nap today?”

“Why are you trying to annoy me?”

“I’m not, I promise. You’re being a bit sensitive, don’t you think?”

“No, I don’t think”

Taeyeon closes her menu. “Perhaps you’re trying to do too much too soon; going back to work and all. You are technically still recovering…”

“I’m perfectly capable of doing my job, Taeyeon”

“I didn’t say you were incapable”

“I’m pregnant, not incompetent”

When Sunny’s voice gets louder than good restaurant etiquette allows, Taeyeon glares at the woman seated at the table nearest them who is staring.

“Hey” she says quietly, reaching for Sunny’s hand on the table, “I’m sorry, yeah? I didn’t mean to…”

“I’m pregnant, Taeyeon” Sunny repeats, eyes welling.

Taeyeon nods once. “Yes, I know that”

Sunny wears a hurt expression when she asks, “Does it mean anything to you?”

Confused by the question, and worried that she might say the wrong thing again, Taeyeon looks to the left, then to the right, then finally back at Sunny, whose eyes have spilled their tears.

“Um, I…yes, of course it does”

Sunny’s eyes ask her to elaborate.

Taeyeon bites her lip. “Sunny, I…I’m going to be honest, ok?”

“That’s all I want” Sunny nods.

“I don’t know what you want me to say. I’m not sure what you’re asking”

Sunny picks up her cloth napkin, the silverware sliding off and hitting the table inelegantly, and wipes her cheeks, sighing and shaking her head. “Forget it; it’s not important. I’m just tired. You were right; going back to work has taken a toll”

“Would you rather not be here? Do you want to go home?”

Sunny sees the desperation in Taeyeon’s eyes. She knows that look; it’s not the first time she’s seen it. And when she recalls the last time she saw it - that day at her apartment, when she told Taeyeon she was moving back to Korea - she feels terrible. So she decides to drop it, for now. She doesn’t want to ruin the evening Taeyeon most likely went through a lot of trouble to plan.

“I want to stay”

Taeyeon doesn’t believe her. “We can order and take it to go”

“No…” Sunny attempts a genuine smile, “I want to stay. Really, I do”

Taeyeon nods, opens her menu, all of a sudden feeling very, very insecure.

...

...

“...I’m telling you, something’s wrong”

“Well did you ask her about it?”

“Of course. Since last week, the night that we went out to dinner, it’s always the same answer; she’s tired”

“Then maybe she is, Taeyeon. Maybe you’re being paranoid...wouldn’t be the first time”

“I’m not. I know her. I know there’s something she’s not telling me” Taeyeon picks at her breakfast plate. “Has Yuri said anything? I know Sunny confides in her”

Jessica shakes her head. Taeyeon slumps back in her chair.

“Ask her again” Jessica advises, seeing how dejected Taeyeon feels. “Don’t accept an answer you don’t believe”

Taeyeon chews on her lip. “I don’t want to upset her”

“Because she’s pregnant?”

Taeyeon quickly shrugs. “That, and...well...”

Jessica hangs on to the last word; her eyes open wide, waiting. She watches her friend battle within herself and comes to a disturbing realization. “You’re scared of her, aren’t you” Taeyeon’s eyes look away.

“That’s it, isn’t it. You’re scared that if you push it, she’ll hurt you again. You’re worried she’s going to break up with you”

“No!” Taeyeon instantly protests. “No…” less confident. “No...no, I know she loves me”

Jessica crosses her arms and sits back in her chair, a disapproving head shake directed at her friend. “Wow. I thought you two were past the past”

“We are!”

...

...

She felt stronger after the pep talk Jessica gave her at breakfast, and she was ready to pull the truth from Sunny; she wouldn’t accept another excuse, but that was easier said than done. Because there’s worry now, after she showed up at Sunny’s office and was told that Sunny had gone home because she wasn’t feeling well. She can’t think about confronting her, not when she might be ill, and the closer she gets to Sunny’s house, the more her courage waivers.

When Sunny doesn’t answer the door, Taeyeon lets herself in. The house is silent, but Taeyeon knows Sunny’s home because her car is in the driveway, and so she quietly walks down the small hallway to Sunny’s room. She finds her there, sound asleep, snoring lightly, and a huge sense of relief washes over her. Taeyeon forgets about pep talks and excuses and everything else weighing down on her shoulders as she gently climbs onto the bed and lies down. She watches Sunny sleep for a while, noticing the small changes to her face since she’s gained some weight. Enjoys being able to stare unabashedly. Soon she feels her eyes getting heavy, so she gives in to sleep, and a harmony of faint snores fills Sunny’s room.

“Hi”

“Hello”

“You’re in my bed”

“So it appears”

“Am I dreaming?”

“Maybe”

The groggy conversation pauses when Sunny yawns and Taeyeon catches it. They look at one another through sleepy eyes, lazily smiling.

“Would you like to tell me how it is you ended up in my bed?”

“Isn’t this exactly where you want me?”

Sunny’s lips curl into a small smile when Taeyeon’s eyebrow quirks. She leans in and kisses her softly.

“How did you know I was here?”

Taeyeon laces their fingers. “I went by your office”

“Oh? What for?”

Taeyeon wakes up completely now, her mind deliberating over whether or not to leave it or to push it. Sunny too leaves the sleepiness behind when she sees Taeyeon struggling.

“What’s wrong?”

Taeyeon takes a deep breath. “I know you’re pregnant and I understand that it tires you but there’s something you’re not telling me and I need to know what it is because I’m feeling very insecure about us and I don’t like it” she blurts out.

Sunny’s eyes sympathize with her. She reaches out and Taeyeon’s cheek. “I’ve been feeling insecure as well”

“You…? Why?”

Sunny lowers her eyes. Decides to follow Taeyeon’s lead and get it all out. “Because...I don’t know if you want to be a mother to my children? Because you keep referring to the babies as mine? Because you talk as if raising another child is the last thing you want to do? Because I’ve been too scared of losing you, too scared of the answer you might give, to bring up the subject? Because...” Sunny trails off when Taeyeon puts a hand on her belly.

“You think I don’t want them?”

“I...”

“Sunny...” Taeyeon swallows thickly. The words get stuck in . She can’t make them come out. So she decides to buy herself some time. “I want to show you something”

“Now...?”

“Yes. I think you should...I mean there’s a...oh, come on”

And Taeyeon gets up and rounds the bed, pulling Sunny up.

“I need my shoes, Taeyeon...”

“No, forget the shoes. Just...let’s go”

They’re out the door and in the car before Sunny can protest. Taeyeon peels out of the driveway. She takes Sunny’s hand in her own, squeezing it reassuringly, and wills the LA traffic to stay out of her way.

....

....

 

Hello!

Thank you for your all lovely comments and supports. Really. But don't expect too much, I'm afraid I would make you disappointed.

And perhaps the next chapter is the last chapter for this fic.

yeah enjoy :)