The Past

Not Anymore

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.

 

 

“Where are we going?”

“Further up the hill a bit, I want to show you something”

Taeyeon drives her car effortlessly around the long curves near her home, holding Sunny’s hand as the crisp wind blows around them in the convertible car.

“It’s just up here” pulls onto a dirt road and slows the car to a crawl.

Sunny unbuckles her seatbelt and leans forward as the car rolls and finally stops. A birds eye view of the city and beyond is spread below, “It’s beautiful, Taeyeon”

“You’re beautiful” Taeyeon says and undoes her restraint, letting it snap back. She tugs on Sunny’s hand, “Come here” slides her arm around the back of Sunny’s head and kisses her the way she’s come to learn Sunny likes to be kissed.

Sunny moans softly when Taeyeon kisses and on her neck. Taeyeon smirks; proud that it’s only taken her a few weeks to figure out how, where, and what gets Sunny going.

“You’re a quick study” Sunny sighs in that voice that gets Taeyeon going.

Taeyeon kisses her once more, “It is my best subject”

Sunny leans back in her seat and looks out at the view. Taeyeon gets out of the car and walks around to the passenger side.

Sunny watches her, “What are you doing?”

She opens Sunny’s door and holds out her hand, “Come on, out with you”

Sunny looks around, “Taeyeon… it’s kind of dark. Where are we going?”

“Just take my hand, Sunny”

Sunny squints at her but takes the proffered hand. Taeyeon bends over and pulls the latch of her seat, gesturing for Sunny to climb in. “After you”

Sunny steps into the back and scoots behind the driver’s seat. Taeyeon pulls the door shut and repositions the passenger seat before sliding to Sunny’s side.

“That’s better” she grins, taking Sunny’s hand and kissing it.

“So is this what you do? Bring innocent women up here, woo them with the view, and invite them into the back seat?”

“Works every time” Taeyeon smirks.

Sunny arches her eyebrows, “Am I the first person you’ve brought up here?”

Taeyeon rolls her eyes, “Of course you are”

Sunny plays with Taeyeon’s hand, “So you never brought Jessica up here?”

“What?”

“Jessica. You know, the woman you were about to…”

“Alright” Taeyeon cuts her off. “Why are you bringing her up?”

Shrugs, “You never talk about her, and you two obviously had something”

“Why does it matter?”

“I want to know” Sunny leans over and kisses Taeyeon’s cheek. “It’s just a simple question; it won’t change anything between us. I’m not going anywhere”

Taeyeon stays quiet, her eyes fixed on their joined hands.

“Where did you meet her?”

“Christ! Can we please not talk about this”

“Why are you upset?”

“Sunny, you said you understood that I might not be able to tell you certain things”

“No, I asked you to trust me and you said you do. But obviously you don’t”

Taeyeon can see the hurt in Sunny’s eyes. Don’t look at me like that.

Sunny climbs into the front seat, “Can we just… go back to yours; I need to get Jamie home to bed”

Taeyeon sighs, frustrated with Sunny. With herself. She takes the proper route back into the driver’s seat. Slams her door shut and turns on the ignition. Sits motionless for a moment before turning it back off.

“I met her in Seoul” she starts, glancing at a stone-faced Sunny before looking back out at the view, “she was there meeting with a client, in the same hospital that Tiffany was being treated in” grips the steering wheel.

“We… it started out with business talk, she’s a lawyer, and, it progressed from there. We would text one another and meet in the hospital dining room for tea” Taeyeon squeezes the wheel, her knuckles whitening.

“She told me she was unhappily married and that she traveled all the time and…” feels her heart start to race, “she came on to me one day, and I didn’t refuse her” tears roll down Taeyeon’s cheeks. “I just… it had been so long since anyone looked at me like that; since anyone wanted me…” she pauses and looks at Sunny, who nods.

“Go on” Sunny whispers.

Taeyeon exhales a shaky breath, “I brought Tiffany home, when the doctors told me there wasn’t anything more they could do. Those last few weeks were so hard. Tiffany wasn’t herself because of the meds; she was like a stranger to all of us” Taeyeon swallows, dry. “The girls were frightened of her; they said she never smiled and was mean to them”

Taeyeon wipes her eyes with her sleeve, “Our family was falling apart. I was working twelve hour days, in a job that I loathed, only to come home to care for Tiffany and the girls”

Sunny reaches over the center console and rubs Taeyeon’s thigh, “You had a lot to deal with”

Taeyeon shrugs, “They were my family. My responsibility. But it just… it became too much. I was so overwhelmed one night and I needed…” glances at Sunny, “I needed to feel something other than the pain, you know?”

Sunny furrows her brow.

“I… I called Jessica, and asked her to meet me at some random hotel on the other side of town”

“Oh…”

“I couldn’t stop myself” feels closing, “up to that point Jessica and I had just… we hadn’t shagged” drops her head, “but that night… I needed to forget. So I left my family at home with Mum, to go and meet her. On the way there, my mum called and said that Tiffany had… that she was gone” Taeyeon breaks down.

“Taeyeon…”

“I know you think I’m horrible…”

“No. Breathe, Taeyeon” Sunny cups her red face, “look at me and breathe”

Taeyeon shakes her head, “I left them” she sobs, “they needed me, and I left”

“Taeyeon, you need to calm down and breathe” Sunny presses the palm of her hand to Taeyeon’s chest, “please!”

Taeyeon grabs Sunny and holds onto her tightly, “I’m sorry” she gasps, “I’m so ing sorry I wasn’t there”

Sunny checks Jamie’s restraints and covers his sleeping body with a blanket. She closes the door gently, turns around and faces Taeyeon.

“Are you sure you’re going to be alright?”

“Yeah” Taeyeon fails to smile.

“Ok, well, I’ll call you tomorrow”

“Ok” She can’t even look at me. It’s over.

Sunny walks around her car and opens the door, stopping briefly to look over at a defeated Taeyeon before dipping inside.

Taeyeon watches her drive away.

She presses the button and waits for the elevator doors to close. Looks up and bites her lip as the numbers illuminate floor by floor. What are you doing? She doesn’t want to see you.

The doors open and Taeyeon hesitates.

it. She takes a deep breath and walks down the corridor, stopping at the door she knows Sunny’s behind.

Once inside, Taeyeon is faced with a busy, noisy office, and no Sunny in sight.

“Can I help you?” a young man stops and asks.

“I’m looking for Sunny… Lee”

“Oh, Sunny?” the young man glances at an empty chair behind a desk, “she must be in the copy room; it’s just around the corner there” he points.

“Thank you”

Taeyeon walks between the rows of office desks and turns the corner. She finds the copy room, the door slightly ajar, and sees Sunny standing at the copier. Her fist hovers in front of the door before she knocks lightly.

Sunny turns around. “Taeyeon?”

“Hi”

“What’re you doing here?”

“I… I tried calling your phone but you didn’t answer, nor did you reply to my texts so… I just needed to see you. I need to say goodbye in person”

“Goodbye?” Sunny steps toward her, “Where’re you going?”

“I’m not. I mean, I…”

Sunny tilts her head, “I dropped my phone last night when I carried Jamie out of the car; it broke into so many pieces” she frowns. “I was going to stop in at your office on my break”

“Oh… oh” Taeyeon swallows. “Then you… haven’t written me off”

“What?”

“I thought, after what I told you last night, you wouldn’t want anything to do with me. That you hated me”

Sunny reaches around Taeyeon and closes the door. “I could never hate you, Taeyeon” wraps her arms around Taeyeon’s neck and hugs her, “you’re still the same Taeyeon I knew before you told me, aren’t you?”

Taeyeon slides shaky hands around Sunny’s waist.

“The past is the past; I can’t judge you by it” Sunny pulls back, “That doesn’t mean I think it was ok, but, I understand pain, and grief, and the things people sometimes do to get through it”

Taeyeon can’t help the tears that form in her eyes, “I thought I’d lost you”

“I told you I’m not going anywhere” Sunny her cheek, shrugs, “you’re stuck with me”

Taeyeon leans her forehead against Sunny’s, “I don’t deserve you”

“That’s true enough” Sunny smiles.

Taeyeon rolls her eyes and checks her watch, “When’s your break?”

Sunny grabs Taeyeon’s wrist and checks the time, “Ten minutes”

“May I take you to lunch?”

“Yes, you may”

“You believe me, don’t you?” Taeyeon looks at Sunny, and absentmindedly pokes at the chicken on her plate.

“Why wouldn’t I?” takes a bite salad, “Not that it concerned me in any way; you and I were just friends”

“I know. But somehow I still felt guilty, that you saw me like that, with her”

“I could tell. That’s why I left. I saw it written all over your face” stabs more lettuce onto her fork, “I knew you were conflicted, and it wouldn’t have been fair to you if I’d stayed”

“I wanted to tell you, that night, when I went to your flat”

“Tell me what?” Sunny feigns innocence.

“You know…”

Sunny shrugs, shakes her head, and takes another bite of salad.

You little minx. Taeyeon bites her lip. it. “That I liked you. That I like you. More than a friend”

Sunny smiles, “I gave you every opportunity to say it”

“You knew”

Sunny purses her lips, “I’d… hoped”

“So I’ll come by tonight after everyone at yours, and mine, is in bed” Taeyeon lets go of Sunny’s hand when they reach her office building.

“I’ll be waiting” Sunny smiles, a twinkle in her eye. “Thanks for lunch”

“Anytime” Taeyeon steals a quick kiss, “see you later”

“Open it” Taeyeon hands Sunny the gift-wrapped box and takes off her jacket while Sunny carefully tears the paper.

“Taeyeon, you didn’t need to…”

“You’re going to take it and not say a word” she says, hanging her jacket on the back of a chair.

“Am I”

“Yes” Taeyeon takes the box out of Sunny’s hands and throws it on the couch, pulls her in and kisses her deeply. It’s only been a few hours and I missed you so much.

Sunny shakes her head, “I’m not taking that phone”

“Are you sure he won’t wake up?” Taeyeon asks, breathless, her hands paused at the hem of Sunny’s pajama top.

Sunny slowly grinds on Taeyeon’s lap, “I can’t be sure, no, but I think he’s out for the night”

Taeyeon chews on her lip, “What if we… and he…”

“Then we’ll deal with it” Sunny says, her raspy voice oozing need, “I want you. And I know you want me”

Taeyeon nods. “I do. So much”

Sunny kisses her. “Do you think you’re ready?”

Taeyeon glances down between them, “I’d be able to answer that if you weren’t grinding on me”

Sunny grabs the back of the sofa, closes her eyes, grinds harder, whispers, “”

Taeyeon twists the hem of Sunny’s shirt, “I can’t do it…”

Sunny opens her eyes, her breathing loud and uneven, “Ok… I’m sorry…”

“No…” Taeyeon holds her hips firmly when Sunny tries to get off her lap, “I am ready… if we were behind a locked door…”

Sunny buries her face in Taeyeon’s shoulder, moans, “You’re so paranoid” laughs through her frustration, bringing her self-satisfying movements to a slow end.

“I can’t help it” she sighs, lifting Sunny’s head and kissing her tenderly.

“Neither can I” Sunny laughs.

“I noticed…” Taeyeon kisses her neck, whispers in her ear, “I feel it through my jeans”

...

...

 

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.