Christmas; Day 2

Not Anymore

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.

 

 

Barely awake, Taeyeon drags herself up the stairs, rubbing her aching back. She sees a light on in her mum’s room and peeks in the door, “Mum it’s nearly three” she says, walking in and making herself comfortable on her mother’s bed.

“I know, dear. I got caught up in this silly book” inspects her daughter’s disheveled appearance; “you look like you had fun” she smiles and takes off her glasses.

“I passed out on the couch, Mum. Not exactly exciting” Taeyeon yawns.

“Oh, Taeyeon” Sooyeon shakes her head, “has Sunny gone to bed?”

“Yeah, hours ago”

“Did you two talk about… anything?”

“What are you after, Mum?”

“Nothing love, just curious”

Taeyeon sits up; her mother’s tone a familiar one. “Mum, did you say something to Sunny?”

“I’ve said plenty of things to Sunny, dear”

“Mum. I’m not in the mood for your games” eyes her mother while her tired mind works into overdrive. “Mum, what were you and Sunny talking about this afternoon” it doesn’t come out like a question.

“Just this and that…”

“The truth, Mum. Please”

Sooyeon exhales, exasperated; her hands slapping the book in her lap, “She asked about you and I told her what she wanted to know”

“Mum!” Taeyeon rubs her head, “What did you tell her?” receives no answer. “Mum, just ing tell me…”

“I didn’t tell her about that, Taeyeon. I wouldn’t”

“So, what then?”

“She asked me what you were like as a child…” looks into her daughter’s worried eyes, “and I may have gone on about your honors and your work at the center”

“And that’s all…?” Taeyeon watches her mother shrink into the covers.

“I may have told her a bit about Tiffany…”

“what the … Mum!”

“Lower your voice, Taeyeon”

“I specifically asked you not to” stands up and paces the room, “I knew this would happen”

“Sunny cares, dear…”

“I don’t want her to care”

“Oh that’s just ridiculous, Taeyeon. I’ve seen the way you look at her…”

“I don’t, Mum. I don’t look at her in any way”

Sunny wakes to the sound of muffled giggles. She stretches; her hand brushing against something on the pillow next to her. She turns her body, smiles and picks up the gift she received from Taeyeon. Sighs as she reads it again, carefully places it back in its envelope.

She finds a new toothbrush in her bathroom and freshens up a bit. As she looks at herself in the mirror, she recalls the events of last night. Feels bad for running off on Taeyeon after she’d given her such an amazing gift, but knew she wouldn’t be able to hold back from doing what her heart and body were screaming at her to do.

“Mama, Mama”

“In here, sweetheart”

“Good morning, my love” bends down and kisses the top of her son’s head, “did you have a good sleep?”

“Yes… I love the big beds. I want a big bed; I’m tired of my little bed at home”

“Big beds cost a lot of money, Jamie…”

“Taeyeon has lots of money, she can buy me one” climbs onto the large sink counter, swings his legs and watches his mother drying off her face.

Sunny throws the towel down and stands in front of her son, “Listen to me, young man” cups his face, “it’s not nice to say Taeyeon has a lot of money…”

“Why do you have your angry eyes, Mama?”

“I’m not angry, my love. I just want you to understand…” Sunny searches for the right words, “Taeyeon is very nice, and she shares her money with us because she’s generous, but we do not and will not ask her to buy anything for us. That’s not polite, sweetheart. Do you understand?” Jamie’s lips form a pout and he nods slowly.

“You don’t need to be sad” Sunny pokes at his bottom lip, “I’m not cross with you, alright?”

“Ok, Mama”

“Give me a squeeze” Jamie wraps his arms around her neck and she scoops him off the counter and walks into the bedroom tickling his sides.

“We weren’t listening” Bella says immediately when Sunny makes eye contact with her.

“Of course you weren’t” Sunny throws a giggling Jamie down on the bed, “Good morning, girls”

In unison, “Good morning, Sunny”

“Granny, where’s Mum?” Sophia asks as they all enter the kitchen and find Sooyeon making breakfast.

Four pair of eager eyes await her answer, “She had to go into work” looks sadly at Sunny, “said she’d be back tonight”

“Perhaps we’ve overstayed our welcome” Sunny smiles weakly at Sooyeon.

“No, Sunny. Dear…” Sooyeon pulls her to the end of the kitchen, “Taeyeon’s upset with me, it’s got nothing to do with you”

Sunny looks behind her at Bella and Sophia, “Should I go and speak to her?”

“I think that would be good, yes. She listens to you”

Taeyeon sips her coffee, a cool breeze blowing loose hairs onto her face as she sits on the bench. She tugs on the ends of the scarf Sunny made for her, tightening it just a bit when she feels a draft on her neck. She uncrosses her left leg from her right and crosses the right over her left. Feels bad for leaving, but it was her first impulse and she gave in to it.

“I thought I’d find you here”

. It’s the last voice she wanted or expected to hear. She doesn’t look behind her, “How did you know?”

“You told me once that this is the place you escape to” Sunny sits down on the bench, scoots over next to Taeyeon.

“I talk too much” keeps her eyes trained forward.

“Hardly” Sunny looks out at the fog covered view, “So, why did you want to escape?”

“Just needed to be alone”

“Oh. Do you want me to leave?”

A breeze blows by and pigeon walks in front of them, stops to eye the ladies to see if they’ve got any food. It flies away when Sunny stands up.

“No”

Sunny stops; sits back down, puts her hands in her coat pockets. Taeyeon jerks her head as the breeze picks up and long strands of her hair get stuck on her face.

“I was angry”

“About?”

“My mum told me about your little conversation yesterday”

Sunny leans back onto the wooden bench, “Don’t be angry with her, I asked her to tell me”

“Why?”

Sunny squints as the glare from the sun breaks through the fog, “I wanted to know something about you… about your past… how you grew up” sighs, “you never tell me anything and I was curious, is all”

“Did you ever think maybe I wasn’t ready to tell you?”

“No… yes… I don’t know”

“I’m not like you, Sunny. I don’t go around saying whatever’s on my mind and sharing my feelings with the world”

“Ok…”

“There are some things I just can’t talk about and, if we’re going to continue to be friends, I need you to respect that”

“I will. Of course”

“My past… Tiffany… those things are very private, very painful, and I may never tell you everything”

“I understand…”

“And it’s not as if you’ve told me about your past; I know as much about you as you do about me…”

“You’ve never asked” Sunny cuts her off.

Taeyeon looks at her for the first time since she arrived, “You’re right, I haven’t asked”

Sunny lowers her eyes, “I’m sorry” lays her hand on top of Taeyeon’s, “I should’ve waited for you to tell me but… I wanted to feel closer to you… to know you better. I feel like I’m always assuming things about you”

“Why do you care so much?” has to look away from Sunny’s eyes.

“Because…” takes a deep breath, “I think you’re ing amazing. You. Right now. Sitting here. But I want to know more; the good and the bad about you… I just. I want to be close to you, Taeyeon”

“And what if that’s not possible?”

Sunny squeezes her hand, “Everything’s possible”

 

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.