Mom and Mama

Not Anymore

Taeyeon closes the door. She slips off her shoes and slinks back into Sunny’s bed as quietly as she can. She watches Sunny’s nose twitch a few times and her eyelids flutter, before unfocused brown eyes look right through her.

“Morning, sleepy”

Sunny rubs the tip of her nose, squinting and smiling like someone who’s not completely awake.

“You plan on being in bed all day?”

Sunny scoots closer to Taeyeon, nuzzling into her chest. “What do you mean?” she asks through a yawn.

“I mean…” Taeyeon kisses the top of her head, “I’ve already taken everyone to school”

That wakes Sunny up, and she turns to look behind her at the alarm clock. “Oh my, I didn’t hear a thing!”

“We noticed” Taeyeon smiles, and leans in to kiss her. “The four of us traipsed through here and you didn’t even stir”

Sunny rolls onto her back to stretch, and Taeyeon can’t help but notice how big her belly has grown.

“You are sleeping for three, I suppose”

Sunny smiles as her stretch comes to an end. “If only. These two are on their own schedule” she says, rubbing her belly. “Definitely nocturnal”

“As all babies seem to be”

Sunny rolls back over onto her side, smiling crookedly, looking at Taeyeon for a few silent seconds. “Is this really happening?”

“What?”

“This. Us. Here. In bed. Together”

“Well…I’m here, and you’re here, and we are in bed…so I’m going to go out on a limb and…ow!”

Sunny punches Taeyeon in the arm with her cast. “You know what I mean”

Taeyeon feigns pain as she rubs the spot of impact. “I forgot pregnant-Sunny doesn’t enjoy sarcasm”

Sunny pulls Taeyeon in by her shirt and kisses her. “I need the loo”

“How wonderfully romantic”

Taeyeon suppresses a laugh as Sunny practices her well-rehearsed roll off the bed, and tries to shield herself when Sunny picks up a pillow and throws it at her.

Taeyeon chews on her lip and smiles, staring at the closed bathroom door. “Are you hungry?” she calls out.

“What do you think?” is the answer she receives.

Taeyeon laughs and scoots off the bed. “I’ll be in the kitchen”

She hears the toilet flush on her way out the door.

...

...

“Did we make the right decision?”

“Don’t start doubting…” Sunny says, pointing her spoon at Taeyeon, “or we won’t go through with it”

“But perhaps we should try it; live together for a while and then…”

“Taeyeon…”

Taeyeon sighs into her coffee. “I know. You’re right. I know”

“If you truly want to start over…well, my living here would be the complete opposite of that”

Taeyeon takes a bitter bite of toast. “I know”

Sunny slides her hand onto Taeyeon’s. “Even you agreed that it’s best, for now”

Taeyeon plays with Sunny’s fingers. “How long did we agree ‘for now’ is…?”

“…When it feels right, we’ll know”

...

...

“Back at it already, huh?”

“Oh, hey, I didn’t hear the doorbell go”

“We let ourselves in”

Taeyeon takes off her glasses and pinches the bridge of her nose.

“You look exhausted”

“Thanks. Jetlag, I guess”

Jessica sits across the desk from Taeyeon. “Why don’t you leave this for another day?”

Taeyeon leans back in her office chair. “I have fifty-two messages to return, and I’m only on number five”

“Can I help?”

“I’m alright, thanks. Why aren’t you at work?”

“I took the day off”

Taeyeon eyes her friend suspiciously. “That’s not like you”

Jessica shrugs and picks up Jamie’s paperweight from Taeyeon’s desk. “I have a lot to think about”

“Oh?”

“Yeah. The New York office wants me back”

Taeyeon stays quiet.

“I’m not really sure what to do”

“I see” Taeyeon tries not to look disappointed. “Do you want to move back to New York?”

“It is my home city. I do miss it sometimes”

Taeyeon nods, trying to be supportive. “Have you spoken to Yuri about it?”

“Of course. And she’s with me, whatever I decide”

“Then it’s up to you, I suppose…though, I will say that I would miss you terribly, as would the girls. You’re an important part of our lives…you’re like family. But we, like Yuri, will support any decision you make” Taeyeon picks up a pen and taps it on her desk for a good minute before asking, “Do you mind if I’m a prick and change the subject?”

Jessica sets the paperweight back down. “Go ahead, prick”

“I, um, I told Sunny. I told her everything. Last night we had a long conversation and I think…” Taeyeon smiles through a lip bite, “I think it really might work this time”

“It ing better; I can’t take another two years of this ”

The pen lands in Jessica’s lap and the two friends share a laugh. But Taeyeon’s smile soon fades.

“I’m scared, Sica. I’m scared to say that I’m happy”

“Taeyeon, it’s ok for you to be happy. You’re allowed. So just say it”

Taeyeon leans back in her chair and looks at her friend. She tries to imagine Jessica not being around and can’t help feel the loss already. “No. No, not yet”

...

...

“You’re looking pretty radiant, Sunny. Should I attribute your glow and twinkling eyes to your pregnancy or…something else?”

Sunny smiles shyly and continues to fold her clothes with her good hand and pack them in her bag. “It’s probably a bit of this and a bit of that”

Yuri lays Eden on Sunny’s bed and holds a musical stuffed animal over her, absentmindedly shaking it once in a while. “And is one of those bits with Taeyeon?”

Sunny walks into the bathroom to get her toiletries. “No, that bit didn’t happen. Not yet, anyway” she smirks at Yuri, as she walks back out and packs the last of her things.

“Is she still holding out on you?” Yuri asks, miffed and mystified.

Sunny puts her bag on the floor and sits on the bed. “Last night wasn’t for that”

Sunny knows she’ll have to explain when the mystified look doesn’t leave Yuri’s face. “We talked almost all night long. She opened up and told me about Tiffany, and we resolved some things that needed resolving”

“So you two are officially a couple, that’s great!”

“Yeah, I guess so. I can’t quite believe it myself” Sunny beams. “I fell asleep in her arms, and woke up to her beautiful face and…”

“Oh Jesus, you two are something else”

Sunny rubs Eden’s belly and smiles. “A bit sappy, yeah?”

Yuri scoffs. “A bit…?”

Sunny’s smile doesn’t fade as she sighs. “I’ll admit it; I’m terribly happy”

Eden starts to fuss so Yuri picks her up. “And how’s our dear Taeyeon doing?” she asks, and lifts her shirt to undo her nursing bra, quieting her daughter with a snack.

Sunny reaches over to the bedside table and picks up the chopstick she uses to scratch inside her cast. “She seems to be ok” she says, pushing the stick in slowly, desperately trying to relieve a nagging itch. “And I’m going to do my best to keep her that way”

...

...

“Who’s going to be my patsy now you’re not there?”

Sunny smiles. “I thought I was the back-up” she says, lolling her head against the headrest, looking at Taeyeon, and switching the air-conditioning in Taeyeon’s car to the coldest it can go.

“You should’ve reminded me to wear my winter coat” Taeyeon quips, goose bumps covering her body. She turns left when the light turns green, taking Sunny home. “And I think patsy suits you better”

Sunny laughs. “Well, patsy or not, I’ll miss the girls coming into my room and pretending not to be interested in the stories I read”

“Sounds like my daughters: disinterestedly interested”

When they come to a red light and Taeyeon stops the car, Sunny reaches over and takes her hand. “I’ll miss you most of all”

Taeyeon leans over to kiss her quickly, but it turns into a rather heated one; Taeyeon sliding her hand around to the back of Sunny’s neck, holding her there firmly. And it’s only stopped when the blaring of car horns startles them and Taeyeon flips the bird at the driver behind her as they speed off in her German auto, leaving the cars behind them in the dust.

As they turn the corner and drive down Sunny’s street, Taeyeon sighs.

“What’s that for?”

Taeyeon shrugs. “I wish I’d…” she pulls into Sunny’s driveway and turns off the car, “I wish I’d sorted this ages ago. I should have” she says, regret all over her face.

Sunny squeezes her hand. “You weren’t ready. All that matters now is that we look forward, yeah? To the future”

Taeyeon half-smiles and lifts Sunny’s hand, kissing it gently. “Yeah…the future”

...

...

“…and then Mitchell pulled her hair and the teacher saw him and he got in trouble”

Bella and Sophia roll their eyes as Jamie regales them all at the dinner table with a tale from his school day. Taeyeon and Sunny nod along as he prattles on.

“When Mitchell’s mom picked him up she said he can’t play with any of his stuff for two whole days!” Jamie pushes his glasses up and disbelieving eyes jump back and forth between his mother and Taeyeon to see if they’re as shocked as he is about this turn of events.

“Mitchell’s mother sounds like she was very upset” Taeyeon responds to his expression.

Jamie leans in close to Taeyeon - always his table neighbor – and whispers, “She said he was going to get a spanking”

“Poor Mitchell” Taeyeon laments.

“Now that that wonderful story is finished…I tried out for drama today”

Taeyeon swipes a sweet potato off her fork and looks at Bella. “Did you…? That’s new”

“Yeah” Bella shrugs, “I figured since I don’t have friends anymore I might as well join a club. And you’re always saying I would make a great actress, so I signed up…even though I can’t sing. But no one else that tried out sounded that great either, so I think I’m alright”

“I think that’s wonderful, Bella” Sunny tells her.

“Thanks, Sunny”

Taeyeon looks across the table at a quiet Sophia. “I suppose you’re next then”

Sophia chews a piece of chicken and looks back at her mother. She dabs the corners of with her napkin and swallows. “I don’t have any great news like they do”

“Who was that girl I saw you with at lunch?” Bella asks her sister.

“Oh, that’s my new friend. Her name’s Rain”

Jamie laughs, thinking the nature-based name a joke. Sophia sighs at him.

“I haven’t seen her around, is she new?”

Sophia nods. “Yes, she moved here from Washington, but she didn’t start the school year with us because the school was waiting for records from her old school”

“Oh. Is she nice?” Bella asks.

“Yeah, she’s really nice. You should hang out with us at lunch tomorrow”

“Eh” Bella shrugs, looking down at her plate and picking at nothing with her fork. “…Maybe”

Taeyeon and Sunny glance at one another, smiling gently, and quietly eat their food.

...

...

“It’s getting late; we should…get going” Taeyeon pats Sunny’s leg as she stands, and they exchange forlorn looks as she helps Sunny off the sofa.

“It is Jamie’s bedtime, I suppose”

“Aww…Ma…”

The girls gather their books and notebooks and put them in their backpacks. Jamie sprawls out on the now empty sofa, pouting. Taeyeon and Sunny swing their joined hands and stare into each other’s eyes.

Bella clears when the staring goes on and on. Taeyeon smiles tightly and kissing Sunny on the cheek. Jamie giggles and points from the sofa, and Taeyeon and Sunny realize they have the most attentive audience ever.

“This isn’t awkward” Taeyeon finally comments.

Sunny smiles and peeks around at very curious eyes. Taeyeon takes a deep breath, exhaling with a forced smile.

Sunny decides she can’t let her go without a proper goodbye, and knowing Taeyeon won’t kiss her the way she needs to be kissed right now, she begins to pull her out of the living room. “Can I show you something in my bedroom, Taeyeon? I, um, need your help…”

“Are we leaving or not?” Bella asks impatiently.

“In a minute, darling…” Taeyeon’s voice trails off as Sunny leads her down the hallway. Once they reach Sunny’s room, they shuffle in, and Taeyeon closes the door by leaning back on it. Sunny’s on her in a second, kissing her the way she’s wanted to all evening. Her heavy arm is limp at her side, but her good one makes up for it; sliding into Taeyeon’s hair and gently tugging. Taeyeon grabs Sunny’s waist and pulls her as close as she can; a growing barrier keeping them from being able to press their bodies together completely.

The small sounds coming from the back of Sunny’s throat prompt Taeyeon to disengage their lips and kiss her way down Sunny’s neck, and .

“So this is starting over, is it?” Sunny cracks, breathlessly.

Taeyeon laughs into her neck and wraps her arms around her back, gently hugging Sunny. But she doesn’t have a chance to come back with anything clever because there’s a pounding on the door she’s leaned against. She kisses Sunny one last time and moves away from the door, opening it to find two pair of knowing eyes, and one pair of tired but curious eyes looking back at them.

“We’re leaving” Taeyeon announces, before Bella’s open mouth has a chance to reply.

...

...

“Mama…?”

Sunny finishes unpacking Jamie’s little suitcase and joins him on his bed. She kisses him and smiles and his hair. “Yes…?”

“Is Taeyeon going to be my mother?”

Sunny’s hand stops. Big brown eyes look up at her. “Do you want her to be?”

“Oh yeah, I love Taeyeon” he answers without hesitation. “But if she’s going to be my mother, don’t we have to live in her house?”

Sunny’s eyes well with tears, because she can see the love he has for Taeyeon all over his face. “I think someday we’ll live with Taeyeon and Bella and Sophia, but right now it’s best if we live in our own houses…until we’re ready to be a family”

“You told me we are a family”

Usually, Sunny would be ecstatic that her son, who has the attention span of a bean, heard and retained something she”d told him, but this is not one of those times. Because Sunny knows that for every answer she’s about to give him, he’ll come up with ten more questions.

...

...

“…We’re not going back to the sharing our kids situation, are we?”

Taeyeon combs her daughter’s wet hair. “Not at all. Sunny and I are…well, we’re going to try and make this work”

“For real this time?” Bella asks, putting her hair up in a ponytail.

“Yes, for real”

“I think that’s great, Mom” Sophia smiles from across the room while she puts on her pyjamas.

“So why did she leave?”

“They can’t just rush into it, Bella” Sophia answers for her mother, “they need time to build a solid relationship”

Taeyeon sits on her bed and rubs her tired eyes, as her daughters carry on a conversation about her future life.

“Do we have to call Sunny ‘Mom’?”

Taeyeon’s head snaps up. “I…I don’t think we’re anywhere near that conversation” she tells them.

Sophia and Bella climb into Taeyeon’s bed.

Taeyeon glares playfully at her children. “Were you going to ask me if you can stay or…?”

A harmony of ‘please’, followed by grins and batting eyelashes gets Taeyeon’s girls their way. She shakes her head at them as she undresses and heads into the bathroom to brush her teeth.

“I would, you know…” she hears Bella call out.

Taeyeon peeks out of the bathroom door, her toothbrush scrubbing away. “Would what…?” she mumbles.

“I would call Sunny Mom” Bella nods and smiles

The toothbrush stops.

“…Or probably Mama, like Jamie does, since you’re already Mom”

“I would too” her sister agrees, snuggling under her mother’s covers.

The toothbrush begins to move in and out of Taeyeon’s mouth very slowly. She stares across the room at her daughters, and they stare right back.

It becomes a reality then. It becomes so much more than just Sunny and herself. Not that she’d forgotten about the kids. But now, with this kind of talk, and seeing the love, the hope; the anticipation in their eyes, Taeyeon feels a new sense of responsibility for the situation.

She recognizes what she sees; the way they look at her and expect her to not be an emotional wreck, but to be their hero. They want this. They want a family. With Sunny. And while the weight of it all makes her very uncomfortable, she shakes it off, because she’s more determined than ever to make them happy.

....

....

 

Hii! 

I was gonna make the pdf of this fic, but a flash idea of the story just came up. So yeah I'll just leave it here.

I'll probably add few chapters from now on. So mind to stick with me again?

hope you enjoy and like it :)