Friend

Not Anymore

Her heel gets caught in a large crack as she walks on the path. “ing…” pulls it out and stumbles, “bloody bastard shoes” kicks them off and ungracefully bends down and hooks them on two fingers and continues on.

...

She sips her tea carefully; the steam rising from it a warning. “Mm…” trades the teacup for a book and settles into the sofa cushions with a satisfied sigh. Indulges in a home baked cookie as she gets lost in words.

...

“C… C!” steadies herself and knocks on the door.

...

Stops chewing at the sound, furrows her brow as she looks at the clock. Slowly, quietly approaches her door and spies out the peephole. Opens the door, “Taeyeon? This is a surprise”

Taeyeon steps forward, “Tiny Sunny” she greets with a clumsy bow, “I've done it!” lazily raises her arm, hiccups.

Sunny face cringes and she waves her hand in front of her nose at the scent that billows out of Taeyeon’s mouth, “What, gone and drank all the alcohol in Los Angeles?”

Taeyeon blinks slowly, a glazed look in her black eyes. Grins, “Yup”

Sunny grabs Taeyeon by the elbow and pulls her inside. She locks the door and faces a cocktail dress clad Taeyeon, who is swaying slightly, “I think you should sit down” she says, leading Taeyeon by the elbow to the couch.

Taeyeon drops her shoes and collapses onto the couch with a thud, looks up at Sunny and pats on the cushion next to her, “Come sit with me Tiny Sunny”

“Only if you stop calling me "Tiny Sunny"“

Taeyeon just grins and nods, resting her head on the back of the couch. Sunny exhales a deep breath as she sits and looks at Taeyeon with a questioning expression.

“See? That wasn't so hard” Taeyeon says through a yawn. Drunkenly smiles at Sunny.

Sunny can't help but laugh. “So what is it you've done, then?”

“Eh? Oh. I did it!”

“Right. And what is 'it'?”

“I've got them by the balls, they're mine” she says, waving a finger this way and that, head lolling.

Sunny’s face contorts, “That's a lovely image. Who exactly have you got by the balls now?”

“Those greedy bastards, I’m on retainer”

“Ah. Taeyeon that's wonderful!” Sunny smiles, genuinely happy, “Congratulations”

Taeyeon has, as she promised, stayed in touch over the past two days, texting Sunny constantly, receiving an equal amount of replies. Sunny text her earlier in the evening to say good luck.

Taeyeon hiccups, “Thanks” sits up. “I wanted you to be the first to know” she says, attempting a wink but failing miserably.

Sunny shakes her head and smiles, squeezes Taeyeon’s bare knee, “I think you need some strong coffee” pushes off Taeyeon’s leg and goes to the kitchen.

Taeyeon watches her, allowing her eyes to travel unabashedly over Sunny’s body, chuckles at her flannel wear, “Nice pyjamas”

“ off” Sunny smiles and flips the switch on the coffeemaker. Sees Taeyeon still staring, “What?”

“You're ing gorgeous, that's what”

Sunny’s eyes soften, she smiles, blushes.

Taeyeon’s eyes widen, “Did I just say that out loud”

“Fraid so”

“Jesus”

Sunny laughs, leans back against her countertop.

Taeyeon bites her lip, looks away; her eyes scan the scene on the small table in front of her. A book, a cooling cup of tea, a plate of cookies, “Sunny, I’m sorry, did I…” hiccups “interrupt something here?” gestures to the coffee table.

Sunny joins her on the couch again, “No, just relaxing with my book” picks up her half eaten cookie, offers the plate to Taeyeon.

Taeyeon’s eyes light up, her hand hovers over the plate as she looks for the biggest cookie, says “Thanks” through an unattractive bite. She picks up Sunny’s book, turns it over, “The Girl Who Played with Fire, any good?”

“Mm hmm” Sunny nods as she chews.

Taeyeon puts the book back on the small coffee table, knocking something over in the process. She grabs it, a pill bottle. Focuses on the label, shakes the bottle “How long has he been taking these?”

“A month” Sunny answers, gently taking the bottle out of Taeyeon’s hand and going back into the kitchen. She places it in a cupboard with several others. Taeyeon is quiet, staring off into nothing as Sunny pulls a cup out of a different cupboard for her coffee.

“Tiffany took the same ones” Taeyeon says out of nowhere, “she hated them because she said they made her look fat” snorts. Closes her eyes, hiccups, “I used to tell her she would always be beautiful to me, no matter what she looked like” looks over at Sunny, “I meant it too”

Sunny nods, “I believe you”

Taeyeon closes her eyes again, leans back into the cushion, “She was so embarrassed when she lost her hair. Had these… horrible wigs” she laughs, but when her eyes open again, Sunny can see tears forming. She brings Taeyeon the coffee, placing it in her hands, making sure Taeyeon has a good grip.

“Drink it” she softly orders. Taeyeon takes a sip.

“Thanks” takes another sip and puts the cup on the table. Sunny takes another bite of cookie, a strand of hair getting caught in . She slides it out with her finger, turning her head slightly to look at Taeyeon.

“How do you stay so strong, Sunny?”

Sunny knows what Taeyeon is asking, doesn’t need her to elaborate. She finishes chewing before answering, “I just… I have to for my son. If I fell apart, where would that leave him? It wouldn't be fair”

Taeyeon’s eyelids are heavy as she processes Sunny’s words. “Do you ever feel like you just can't go on? Like even taking one more breath would be too much”

Sunny shifts her body so she's sitting crossed legged, facing Taeyeon. Tilts her head as she thinks. “I used to” she says honestly. “After Hyomin died I didn't want to do anything, see anyone, go anywhere… everything reminded me of her”

Taeyeon nods, sips her coffee. “What changed?”

“Jamie” Sunny looks toward the bedroom where her son is sleeping, “he saved me” looks back at Taeyeon. “If I didn't have him… I’m not sure where I'd be. If I'd be” she confesses.

A long silence follows Sunny’s admission. Both women are pensive and sit still until Taeyeon exhales a deep breath.

“I should go”

It dawns on Sunny then, “How did you get here? You didn't drive, did you?”

Taeyeon shakes her head, “Driver. Limo” she starts to get up.

Sunny presses her shoulder, “At least finish your coffee, and I'll pack up some of the cookies for you and the girls”

“Yeah, alright”

Sunny scurries through her small kitchen, tearing a piece of cling wrap and piling cookies onto it. “These are Jamie’s favorite,” she says as she wraps them up. She scribbles a quick note to Bella and Sophia on a piece of paper and tapes it to the wrapped cookies.

When she turns around, Taeyeon’s head is resting on the arm of the couch, her eyes closed. “Taeyeon?” Sunny calls quietly from the kitchen. Walks over to her. Shakes her head when she hears light snores. “Taeyeon” she whispers.

Sunny bends over and scoops Taeyeon’s legs up and onto the couch. Quietly goes into the bedroom and grabs an extra blanket, covers her. Sunny slips on a jacket and slippers and goes outside. Sees the limo parked right in front. Walks to it quickly and taps on the passenger window.

“Hi, did she ask you to wait for her?” she asks the driver.

“Yeah, but her time's almost up, I need to get going”

“I think it’s ok if you go, she's staying in”

“Alright, thank you, ma'am”

“Goodnight” runs back in out of the cold.

As Sunny quietly cleans up the tea and coffee, she thinks about Bella and Sophia and how they must be missing Taeyeon, but are probably already asleep. She puts their cookies in the fridge and turns off the kitchen light. As she goes to turn off the small lamp near the couch, she laughs silently at Taeyeon who is now breathing heavily with open. Sunny switches off the lamp and goes to bed.

...

...

Taeyeon’s eyes flutter open, her vision is blurry for a few moments. She closes them tightly and opens them again, focusing. Her eyes grow very wide as directly in her line of view is a little boy, chewing.

“Hello” he says, smacking his lips as he chews.

Taeyeon goes to lift her head, “Ow, bloody hell…”

“Mama, she's waking up” he calls loudly, causing Taeyeon to nurse her throbbing head even more, “and she said naughty words”

Snitch.

Sunny comes into the living room, brushing wet hair, wearing a very short pair of shorts and a tight vest top. “Morning” she smiles, far too happy for the way Taeyeon’s feeling.

Taeyeon flips onto her back, presses her palms to forehead, “My head is ing killing me” she whines.

“Naughty” Jamie shakes his head, pops another granola cluster in his mouth.

Sunny rummages around in the kitchen and brings Taeyeon a glass of water and some Tylenol.

“Thanks” Taeyeon says, slowly sitting up. She tosses the pills in and takes a drink of water.

“I’m just going to finish my hair, I'll be right back”

“You look messy” Jamie tells Taeyeon.

“Thank you, James”

“Mama wouldn't let me watch my Saturday movie because you were sleeping” he says, looking at the dark television.

“I apologize”

“Can you put it on for me now?”

Taeyeon rubs her forehead, “Sure. Where is it?”

It appears from underneath him, “I like this one” hands her a warm Wallace and Gromit dvd.

Taeyeon stands up slowly, stiffly. She attempts a stretch but it’s cut off by a shooting pain in her head. “Ahhh, ing…” opens her eyes and finds Jamie shaking his head with a disapproving look on his face. Frowns at him and puts the movie on.

A few minutes later Sunny reappears, and much to Taeyeon’s disappointment, has put on a large t-shirt. Still wearing the shorts, though. Admires Sunny’s legs.

“Breakfast?” Sunny asks on her way into the kitchen.

Taeyeon touches her stomach, “Maybe just some toast, if you have it” she says, following Sunny.

“Course” Sunny smiles. Turns her attention to Jamie, “Sweetheart, finish your cereal so you can take your medicine”

“Ok Mama” he answers, hypnotized.

“I see he got you to put on his dvd” Sunny says as she places bread in the toaster.

“Well I had to, didn't I? Since I was the only thing preventing him from watching it”

Sunny laughs, “Be careful, he's a charmer. A sneaky charmer”

Taeyeon leans her hip against the counter, “Sunny, I’m sorry for just showing up last night and passing out on your couch” lowers her eyes, “you should have just kicked me out”

“It’s fine, Taeyeon. That's what friends are for” smiles sweetly.

Friends? Taeyeon is conflicted by this statement. “…Right”

“Jam?” Sunny a bit of boysenberry jam from her finger as she waits for Taeyeon’s answer.

Stop staring. Friends. “No thanks”

Sunny hands her the toast and a cup of coffee. Bites into her own toast with jam.

“So… friend” Taeyeon annunciates sarcastically, "would you care to give me a ride home, please?”

“Of course, yeah. The girls must be missing you”

“Doubt that” takes a bite of her toast.

Sunny gives her a quizzical look but says nothing. She opens a cupboard and pulls out four pill bottles and prepares a cocktail of pills for her son, pours a cup of juice and calls him over.

“Ready?” she asks, his bright brown eyes staring up at her.

“Ready” he sighs. One by one, Jamie alternates between pill and juice until all are gone.

“Well done, love” his newly grown hair, “you may go and finish your show”

“He's a courageous boy”

Sunny smiles and nods, “Yeah, he is”

...

...

“Sunny, you drive like a tortoise… no, wait… a tortoise just passed us by. There he goes” Taeyeon points out the passenger window.

“Where?” Jamie asks excitedly. He looks out his window, trying to stretch beyond the restraints of his child seat.

Taeyeon turns in her seat, “He's miles from here by now, James” she receives a punch in the arm from Sunny.

“Taeyeon’s just telling a bad joke, sweetheart. There's no tortoise”

“Oh”

Sunny eyes her confused son in the mirror; he's still looking out his window..