Hospital; Day 17

Not Anymore

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.

 

-Hospital; Day 17-

“Evening, ladies” Taeyeon lets the door close behind her, and she smiles at the sisters chatting together by the window. “James…” she says, “what reports have you for me today?”

It’s become a routine the past couple of weeks, asking him this question. He seems to enjoy spilling all the fourth floor gossip to her.

She hands Sunny and Hyoyeon a cup of coffee before situating herself at Jamie’s bedside, putting on a mask before she gets too close.

“You’re a lifesaver, Taeyeon” Hyoyeon says, sipping her coffee.

Taeyeon smirks at Hyoyeon, and then looks at Sunny, nodding once. Sunny nods back.

“Hi”

“Hi”

Taeyeon can’t help the grin that forms as a result of Sunny’s greeting, and she’s glad the mask is hiding her ridiculous reaction.

“Dr. Grant came in my room today” Jamie tells her.

“I see… and what did he say?” Taeyeon gets up to wash her hands, keeping an eye on Jamie.

“He said my cold is gone”

“And…?”

Jamie frowns, “And chemo tomorrow morning”

Taeyeon dries her hands and steps on the pedal that opens the trash bin. It closes with a thud. She sits back at Jamie’s bedside, taking his little hand in hers.

“I’m sorry, James” Taeyeon smiles apologetically at him.

“I told him I don’t want it” Jamie says assertively, his bald brow and head wrinkling.

“It’s rather nasty, that chemo” Taeyeon agrees, “but it’s going to help you…”

“It won’t!” Jamie shakes his head, “it makes me feel tired and I throw up all the time and my back hurts”

Taeyeon looks over at his mother and aunt.

“He’s been like that all day” Hyoyeon informs her, “doctor says it’s one of the meds; effects his moods, or something” she looks at her nephew, “little bugger says he’s going to fight off the nurses and run away if they try and stick the chemo needle in his IV”

Taeyeon suppresses a laugh at the death glares between Hyoyeon and Jamie. “Perhaps a post-chemo surprise could change your mind, James?”

Jamie gives her a sideways glance, “Surprise?”

“Yes, a big one” Taeyeon inspects her fingernails, watching from the corner of her eye, as Jamie mulls the idea over.

“What is it?”

“Well it won’t be a surprise if I tell you”

Jamie purses his lips and lowers his eyes. “Will you be here when I get the chemo?” he asks in a small voice.

Taeyeon melts at the look in his eyes. Just like your mother. “I can’t be here in the morning, James, I’m sorry. But I’ll bring your surprise in the afternoon. Will that do?”

Jamie shrugs, “Ok”

“Good man” Taeyeon pats his hand, “now… what shall we do? Play a game, read a book, draw a picture?”

“Read Mama’s book” he points to a legal-sized envelope on the small table next the bed.

Before Taeyeon has a chance to pick it up, Sunny’s there, grabbing it and holding it to her chest.

“Taeyeon can read you a different story, love” Sunny walks to her bag and stuffs the envelope inside. “I’m going to grab a sandwich from the cafeteria. Anyone want anything?” Sunny looks between Taeyeon and her sister. They both shake their heads. “I’ll be back in a bit, then”

Taeyeon turns to Hyoyeon, “What was that all about?”

“She’s writing some book for kids” Hyoyeon shrugs, “and she doesn’t want anyone to see it til she’s done. Except him” she gestures to her nephew with her head, sips her coffee, and reads through People magazine.

“She’s writing a book?” Taeyeon is instantly curious, and surprised. “What’s your Mama’s book about, James?” Taeyeon asks, knowing Hyoyeon will be of no help.

“It’s about my giraffe” he answers nonchalantly, as he looks through the pile of books next to him. “Read this one, Taeyeon” he hands her a book she’s read to him at least twenty times.

She takes it and smiles. “Alright, James” flips to page one, “"Once when I was six…"“

Taeyeon finds her sitting at a table in the corner, staring out the window to the parking lot, her tray of food nearly untouched. She watches her for a while, gives her a thorough going over, as she feels unable to look at her for more than a few seconds when they’re in Jamie’s room.

Taeyeon notices how thin she’s become; her tiny frame even more fragile than before. Her once toned arms, now nearly bone thin. Her hair dull, roots growing out longer and longer, day after day. Her skin so pale, she almost looks translucent. All Taeyeon wants to do is scoop her up and take care of her; nurse her back to the Sunny she once was.

And Taeyeon knows how she’s feeling. Which kinds of thoughts are running through her exhausted mind. Knows she feels alone and afraid, no matter how many people she has supporting her.

Taeyeon’s feet move her forward and she takes a deep breath. “Hi…”

Sunny faces her and smiles tightly, “I was wondering when you were going to stop staring at me and come over”

Taeyeon looks at her, confused. Then she sees that the tinted glass might as well be a mirror, and she rolls her eyes. “So much for stalking”

She receives a small smile from Sunny and chances taking a seat across from her at the table. But as soon as she moves to sit, Sunny stands up.

“You off then”

“Yeah” Taeyeon nods, “my ever impressive reading skills put him right out” she smiles.

Sunny picks up her tray and walks to the trash bin, dumps the contents through the flap and sets it on top. Taeyeon follows her out of the dining room.

Sunny stops and turns, “Thanks for coming”

“Yeah… of course”

Sunny looks at her shoes and crosses her arms, “You don’t need to bring him anything tomorrow”

Taeyeon shrugs, “I know. But if little things here and there can keep him content, I’m happy to indulge. Besides…I think you might enjoy tomorrow’s surprise as well”

Sunny gives her a quizzical look. Taeyeon just smiles.

“See you tomorrow then”

“Yeah… bye, Sunny” Taeyeon’s barely gotten her name out of when Sunny turns and walks toward the elevators. She watches her get in and waits for the doors to close before sliding her purse strap up her arm and walking out of the hospital.

She feels ridiculous. Feels like a limo driver. A limo driver in an Armani business suit. All I need now is cap and moustache. As people begin descending the escalator, she shifts feet. She holds the folded paper sign up higher, hoping the guy whose name is scrawled across it can actually read. From what Hyoyeon’s been telling her, she’s come to assume that he’s not the brightest of bulbs. She can’t for the life of her figure out why Sunny wanted to procreate with someone like him. Right now, though, she’s wishing she could remember what he looked like, after all those times she stared at the photos on Sunny’s wall, so she wouldn’t have to hold up the ridiculous piece of paper.

A shaggy haired man walks toward her, carrying a dirty camping bag. He looks at the paper, and then at her face. Smiles suggestively at her, and by the time he’s in front of her, he’s got a full-blown grin on his face.

“Sent a car for me, did they?” he winks at her. Taeyeon scowls. She opens to respond but he cuts her off. “Who knew they had such fit ladies driving the gents around LA?”

“Mr. Sungmin, before you embarrass yourself further, allow me to introduce myself” she tucks the paper into her pocket and holds out her hand, “I’m Taeyeon”

His grin disappears. He takes the proffered hand and shakes it slowly. “You the Taeyeon who got me out?”

“Yes”

“The Taeyeon who got all them charges dropped?”

“Mm hmm”

“So you’re also the Taeyeon who broke Sunny’s heart”

Taeyeon locks her jaw and glares at him, but inside her stomach twists. “Yes, that’d be me, as well” she answers sarcastically.

He lets go of her hand and stares at her seriously for a minute. Then a wide grin stretches his face, “I say they cancel each other out, yeah. Just make sure you treat Sunny and that boy right from here on, and you and I will be alright”

“Understood” Taeyeon looks at his bag, “do you have any other luggage, Mr. Sungmin?”

“Nah, this here’s it. And it’s just Sungmin; no Mister”

“Alright, Sungmin. Let’s get you where you need to be”

“Thanks, man. For, you know…”

Taeyeon looks over at him as they’re stopped in traffic. “I did it for Sunny and James, but you’re welcome just the same”

“You got friends in high places, Taeyeon. I’m impressed”

Taeyeon raises an eyebrow, proud. “I worked very hard to attain those friends, and they do come in handy when I need them”

The traffic starts to move at a crawl. Taeyeon looks over her right shoulder again and again, trying to change lanes.

“So how bad is he really?” Sungmin asks.

Taeyeon downshifts and switches lanes, quickly changing gears again. “He’s… he’s not well”

Taeyeon watches him for his reaction. He stares out the window and doesn’t say anything the rest of the ride.

As they enter the elevator, Taeyeon hands him an envelope. “I’ve got you booked in at a hotel bout two miles down. There’s a bus from here that stops right in front, or you can take a taxi” she hands him another envelope, “here’s a couple quid… to keep you honest”

Sungmin looks at her disbelievingly, “You for real, or what”

“I’m for Sunny. So, be sure to keep that to yourself” she points to the envelope with the money in it.

“Right” he shoves it in his bag, “Sungmini can keep all your secrets, don’t you worry”

She smiles at him, rather patronizingly, and wonders why he just referred to himself in third person.

They arrive at the fourth floor and step out.

“Mr. Sungmin…” Taeyeon pulls him aside, “I don’t need to talk to you about the dangers of stole some money, do I? And that you’re in a foreign country, and that you were barely able to get here as it is?”

He grins at her, “I’m a big boy, Taeyeon”

Taeyeon raises her eyebrows, “I hope so, Mr. Sungmin” she leads him down the hallway and waves at Sheila who”s sat at the nurse’s station. “They’re right in there; four-o-two” she points.

“Ain’t you comin”?”

Taeyeon shakes her head, “No. You need to be with your family; I’d only be in the way”

Sungmin doesn’t move, so Taeyeon nudges him forward. He peeks in the small window of the door and then pushes it open. Taeyeon stands outside and listens.

“What’s with all these gloomy faces in “ere” she hears him bellow.

Taeyeon hears Sunny gasp and say his name. And then it’s silent. She peeks in and sees Sunny in his arms, her face buried in his shoulder. Can’t help the twinge of jealousy that passes through her body. She watches Jamie’s tired face light up, and that’s enough for her. She walks away with a smile on her face and a satisfied sigh.

The elevators are full so she decides to take the stairs, when she hears her name. She turns around to find Sunny walking toward her. Taeyeon stays rooted to the spot and Sunny stops an arm’s length away; tears in her eyes.

“Sungmin says you did this”

Taeyeon nods.

Sunny sways forward, but stops herself. Taeyeon closes her eyes for a moment; she could almost feel Sunny in her arms.

“I… I don’t know what to say” Sunny whispers.

“You don’t need to say anything” Taeyeon reaches out and touches her shoulder, tentatively. Sunny allows it.

“Thank you, Taeyeon. This means a lot”

“I’ll do anything for James” Taeyeon removes her hand, “and for you” she quietly adds.

They stand silently, awkwardly, for a few minutes, playing eye tag.

“I should get back” Sunny finally says.

“Of course”

“Give the girls a hug from me?”

Taeyeon smiles, “I will”

“See you tomorrow”

“Oh, well… I was thinking I’d give you all some time to catch up…”

“He’ll want to see you” Sunny tells her. She lowers her eyes, “and I’d like to see you too”

Taeyeon stares at her. Can’t quite believe her ears. “Then… then I’ll be here”

Sunny nods and backs away. “See you tomorrow, Taeyeon”

“Yeah… tomorrow”

Once Sunny’s back inside the room, Taeyeon exhales. She bites her lip and opens the door to the stairwell, practically bouncing down all four flights, and allows the hope she’s kept at bay, for the past month, creep its way back in.

 

 

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.