The Date

Not Anymore

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.

 

 

“Are you sure you won’t stay longer, Mum?” Taeyeon pulls out the old green travel case from the back seat of her car and puts it on the sidewalk.

“It’s time for me to go home, dear”

“…Right” Taeyeon shuffles her feet.

“Come here, you little ” wraps her daughter in a hug.

Taeyeon laughs halfheartedly, “Love you too, Mum”

“Listen to me, Kim Taeyeon” looks into her daughter’s watery eyes, “you have the right to be happy, and you have someone in your life that deserves you…”

“Mum…”

“… and you deserve her too. So don’t be scared; life’s too short” hugs her daughter again, “I’ll ring you when I get home” picks up her case and walks away, “be good to yourself, dear” she calls out and waves.

Taeyeon forces a smile and waves back. Two weeks had gone by so fast, and once they’d worked things through, she found herself enjoying having her mother with her day after day, like she used to. Taeyeon leans to her right, searching, as her mother disappears into the airport crowd.

‘hey want to

get together

tonight?’

Taeyeon presses send and lays her phone down gently on her desk. She starts typing on her laptop, her eyes unable to not stray away from the computer screen to look at her phone. Bites her lip when Sunny’s reply isn’t immediate. What the hell, Sunny. Taeyeon picks up her phone to dial Sunny’s number and puts it right back down. She’s frustrated by the fact that she hasn’t seen Sunny at all in the past two weeks. Feels like Sunny’s keeping her distance, despite her claims of wanting to be closer.

Taeyeon buzzes Tricia and barks out an order for lunch. Her office door opens just as she’s hanging up and she’s ready to explode at her assistant for entering without permission, only to look up and see Sunny’s small frame walk in the door. Taeyeon feels her entire body relax; her previously icy eyes melting at the sight of Sunny. She walks around her desk and doesn’t think twice about enveloping Sunny in a tight hug, “Hey”

Sunny steps back, “Hey”

“I just sent you a text”

“I know” holds up her phone, “I was already on my way up. Did your mum get on her flight ok?”

“Yeah, she did” offers Sunny a chair and leans back on her desk, “I think I might actually miss her”

“Of course you will, she’s your mum and you love her”

“Yeah” clears , “so how’ve you been? How’s James?” Taeyeon doesn’t miss the flash of surprise that passes over Sunny’s face.

“We’re good, thanks” smiles.

Taeyeon senses an uncomfortable vibe coming from Sunny. “So… now my mum’s gone, can we get back to seeing each other properly?”

Sunny rolls her eyes, “I didn’t want to not see you, Taeyeon. I just thought you should spend some time alone with your family, that’s all”

“And I did. So can we go somewhere tonight?”

Sunny shrugs, “How about bringing the girls over for dinner? Jamie’s been asking for…”

“I was thinking… just you and me” picks up the glass paperweight from her desk and fidgets with it.

“Oh”

“We could… get a drink… or get some dinner. Maybe see a film? It’s been ages since I’ve been to the cinema” smiles nervously.

Sunny looks apologetic, “I’ve got no one to leave Jamie with”

“You can bring him to the house and Emma will keep him. He can play with the girls” looks hopeful.

Sunny purses her lips, “Um… yeah, ok”

“Seven alright?”

Sunny nods.

Taeyeon hopes her elation isn’t being broadcast all over her face, “Great, well, I’ve got a meeting in ten minutes so…”

“Of course, yeah” stands up to leave, “I guess I’ll see you later, then”

Taeyeon walks her to the door, “Definitely”

Taeyeon hurries through the hallways, making sharp turns at the corners. She got caught up daydreaming and is running late for her meeting. She hugs the large binder she’s carrying to her chest, and can’t help the cheesy smile that slowly grows on her face as she thinks about Sunny. Possibilities. Definitely possibilities. Wants to send Sunny a text but can’t think of anything that won’t require at least ten exclamation points. As she creeps into the meeting room, her phone buzzes.

‘Just wondering…

Is this a date?’

It hasn’t really crossed her mind what it is. She just knew she had to spend some time with Sunny. Alone. Is it a date… is it a date? Taeyeon bites her lip as she ponders what to text back. She has a daunting, yet somewhat excited feeling that her reply will change things between them, one way or another. Her fingers start typing of their own accord.

‘yes it is a date.

Wear something

with easy access pls ;)’

Taeyeon throws the blouse on the growing pile on top of her bed. She stares at herself in the floor-length mirror, slides her hands over her bare torso and rests them on her hips. Lets out an exasperated breath and heads back into her large closet. “, nothing is right” she mumbles as she slides hanger after hanger across the clothing rod.

“What’re you doing, Mum? How come you’re standing here in your underwear?”

Taeyeon turns around and ushers Bella out of the closet, “I’m looking for something to wear out tonight” grabs her silk robe off the door hook and wraps it on.

Bella jumps up on the clothes covered bed, “Where you going?”

Taeyeon sorts through the clothes she’s already tried on, “I’m… going to dinner with Sunny”

“Sunny!” Bella’s face lights up, “Where are we going to eat?”

Sophia walks into the room and inspects the mess on the bed, “What’s going on?”

“We’re going to dinner with Sunny” Bella happily informs.

“Really? I missed her…”

“I didn’t say we were going anywhere” Taeyeon motions between the three of them, “I said I was going to dinner with Sunny” she watches her daughters look at one another, confused. Sees the light bulbs above their heads switch on at the same time.

Sophia speaks first, “Are you going on a date, Mum?” her expression unreadable to Taeyeon.

“How do you even know what a date is?” she asks and sits on the bed “You’re eight”

“We’ve seen the Princess Diaries, Mum” Bella shakes her head patronizingly.

“Oh. Right” suppresses a laugh.

It’s quiet as Taeyeon is at a loss for words, not realizing that this would be a thing she’d have to discuss with her children; not yet, at least. She pats the bed beside her and Sophia climbs up and looks up at her with big green eyes.

“I suppose I should have spoken with you about this” Taeyeon says, looking back and forth between them.

“So you don’t love Mummy anymore?” Sophia asks.

“I will always love Mummy” Taeyeon says sternly, quickly; hoping to convey her sincerity to her daughters.

“But you love Sunny now too?

“No… no, I…”

“She just like-likes her, Soph” Bella explains matter-of-factly. Sophia’s shoulders shrug and slump all at once and she’s suddenly captivated by a dirt stain on her jeans.

“Listen, nothing is going to change, alright? We’re all still going to be friends with Sunny and James, and we’re going to have fun outings like we always do” tips Sophia’s chin up, “the only difference about tonight is that Sunny and I are having an outing alone. We’ll have dinner and maybe see a film, and then we’ll be right back here with you. Does that sound alright?”

“Sounds alright to me” Bella says, sliding off the bed. Sophia lowers her eyes, then looks back up at her mother and slowly nods.

Taeyeon kisses her nose, exhales a deep breath. “So… would you both please help me choose something to wear?”

The top of Jamie’s pirate hat is the first thing she sees as she opens the door, “Ahoy, James” she smiles, having genuinely missed him. Jamie hugs her leg. Opening the door completely, her eyes find Sunny and she can’t help but look stunned at her appearance.

“Hi”

“Hi”

“May we come in?” Sunny smirks.

“What? Oh… of course. Sorry”

Taeyeon checks out Sunny from behind as she walks inside. Jesus ing Christ! She closes the door and clears , “Hi”

Sunny laughs, “Think we already covered that”

“Where’s Bella and Sophia?” Jamie asks, taking a few steps toward the staircase.

Taeyeon shakes her head, “I… sorry. What?”

“Hi Sunny” Bella walks up and hugs her. Sophia walks in a moment later and stands next to Taeyeon.

“Hey Sophia” Sunny smiles, expecting a hug.

Sophia looks away, “Hi”

Sunny looks at Taeyeon and receives a subtle head shake in return. Taeyeon Sophia’s hair, “I’ll go and tell Emma we’re leaving” she says, and leads Sophia away into the kitchen.

“You ready for dinner, Jamie?” Bella puts an arm around his shoulders.

Jamie looks at his mother, “I don’t want to eat, I want to go play”

Sunny bends down and kisses Jamie’s cheek, “You need to mind Emma, sweetheart. I want you to behave, alright?”

“I will Mama” he wraps his arms around her neck. Taeyeon walks back in as Sunny stands, and they share a nervous smile.

“Ok girls” Taeyeon hugs them, “we’ll be back soon” Sophia lingers in her arms, “be good and help Emma, alright?”

“We will, Mum” Bella holds Sophia’s hand.

Taeyeon ghosts her hand over Sunny’s back, escorting her out, and they both look back at their kids as they walk out the door.

The car ride is mostly silent. Taeyeon tell Sunny about Sophia and Sunny feels guilty that she didn’t have a chance to speak to her before they left. Taeyeon finds herself trying very hard to concentrate on driving while Sunny’s thigh mocks her from the passenger seat. When they arrive, Taeyeon hands the valet her keys and she and Sunny walk up the street to the restaurant. “Hope you like Japanese” Taeyeon says as they walk up some steps.

“I do” Sunny nods. “This looks very posh” she says with a daunting expression.

“It wants to be” Taeyeon laughs as the doorman holds the door open, “shall we have a drink first?” Taeyeon leads Sunny to the bar and glides onto a bar stool, “What would you like?”

Sunny scans the drink menu. Taeyeon scans Sunny. “What’s good, any recommendations?” catches Taeyeon blatantly staring at her. Stares right back.

“The watermelon cucumber mojito is very tasty”

Sunny her lips, “Mm, that sounds good. I’ll try one”

After two mojitos each, they’re settled at their table with another and Sunny gives Taeyeon permission to order for her.

“You haven’t said anything about my dress” Sunny pouts, the alcohol rooting her on, “and I fulfilled your request for easy access and everything. You’re lucky we have heat waves in January around here”

Taeyeon smirks. She thinks about a smart comeback but decides against it. Instead, she reaches across the table and lays her hand on top of Sunny’s, her face serious, “You take my breath away, and I know I’m the envy of everyone in this place because I’m with the most beautiful woman they’ve ever seen”

Sunny pauses mid- on her watermelon wedge, swallows slowly, “That was lovely”

“It’s the truth”

“Here, taste mine” Taeyeon cuts a piece of her fish and puts it on Sunny’s plate.

“Oh, that’s good” Sunny chews, “a bit spicy for my liking, though” she takes a drink of water.

Doesn’t like spicy foods. Taeyeon makes a mental note. “Any films you want to see?” Taeyeon pulls out her phone and types.

Sunny shrugs, “I don’t really keep up with the latest. Last movie I went to see was Toy Story Three” she laughs.

“How about The King’s Speech? Might be nice to hear people speaking proper English for a few hours”

“Yeah, ok” takes a large bite of sushi. She watches Taeyeon type away, “Can I tell you something”

Taeyeon glances up from her phone, “Mm?”

“I was really surprised that you asked me out for tonight”

“Oh? Why?” puts her phone away and gives Sunny her full attention.

“I dunno… I guess… the last time we spoke, that day after Christmas, it seemed like you were telling me that you couldn’t move beyond what we were. And when I came to see you today, you hugged me and asked me out first thing. I was trying to give you some space; thought I was coming on too strong or something” takes another bite of sushi, “you…” points with her fork, “are very hot and cold”

Taeyeon slouches, “I’m sorry, Sunny, I don’t mean to be. It’s just…” pushes the food around on her plate, “I was upset that day. The truth is…” looks into alert brown eyes, “I’m just really… scared”

Sunny furrows her brow, “Of what…?”

Taeyeon looks down, “Of you”

Sunny puts down her fork, “Of me? Why on earth would you be scared of me?”

Taeyeon chews on her lip. Her mother’s voice fills her head. it. “Because you make me feel things. Things I haven’t felt in years. Things I’ve never felt before, honestly”

“Oh…”

“And I… I don’t really know what to do with all these damn feelings”

“Why do you have to do anything with them? Can’t you just let them be?”

“But I don’t want to hurt you, Sunny”

“I’m a big girl, Taeyeon…”

“I’m still so ed up…”

“You forget that I know exactly what you’re going through”

“But you’re so together, and you’ve made peace with it all. I haven’t”

“You will. I promise. And I can help you, because I’ve been there. Just trust in me”

“I already do”

Taeyeon opens Sunny’s car door and they walk hand in hand up to Taeyeon’s front door.

“I had a great time tonight” Sunny smiles, her eyes sparkling, “you’re a lovely date”

Taeyeon swings their hands and bites her lip, “Thanks… so are you. Sorry we didn’t make the movie. Maybe we can try again soon?”

“I’d like that”

Taeyeon looks at her door, “You should stay” Idiot. “I mean in a guest room” she quickly explains, “I wasn’t suggesting…”

“It’s alright, Taeyeon, I know what you meant. I think I will. Jamie’s probably asleep anyway”

Taeyeon exhales, “Right, well, I guess this is goodnight”

“I guess so…”

Their hands slow and Taeyeon tugs on Sunny’s arm, pulling her into a gentle hug. She can’t help brushing her lips over Sunny’s bare shoulder as they pull apart. Before Taeyeon knows what’s happening Sunny’s hands are behind her neck and she’s pulling her head down. All she can do is close her eyes and feel Sunny’s lips on her skin for the first time as Sunny presses a soft kiss to her cheek.

“Was that alright?”

Taeyeon shakes her head slowly, “No. No…” she cuts herself off when she leans down and kisses Sunny delicately, resting her hands on Sunny’s hips. She doesn’t push the kiss, just enjoys the sensation of it all. Feels her body relax and scream all at once. Feels the tickle of breath from Sunny’s nose on her top lip. Loves how Sunny’s fingers are tangled in her hair.

She pulls back, eyes still closed, almost in disbelief that she’s finally done it. That she made the move to do it. That she didn’t question herself at all before she did. That it felt right.

When she finally opens her eyes she feels an instantaneous rush of warmth travel through her body as she looks into Sunny’s eyes. Thinks their expressions must mirror each other. Grins ridiculously and looks away.

“That was unexpected” Sunny breathes out. They both giggle like schoolgirls and Sunny pulls her into another hug.

Taeyeon pulls back and unlocks her door, pushing it open as they stand on the doorstep, “After you...”

Sunny smiles, “Goodnight, Taeyeon”

“Night, Sunny”

Taeyeon follows her inside, closes the door, and finally feels like she’s home.

 

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.